Easy to drift with controller, impossible with wheel

R3V
While this is true, GT7 and to a lesser extent GTS have this no-slip-angle problem. You either have full grip or you're spinning uncontrollably.
I agree with this just from my limited experience, but even then I feel like I can compensate for it on controller pretty easily. Just slam the stick around.

But also, if a person's goal is just "I want to learn how to drift with a wheel," then they are probably better off in something like Assetto Corsa which has better/more consistent physics for that kind of thing.

If the goal is "I want to learn to drift with a wheel in GT7," then for the time being I think we do need to focus on actual hardware mods until the physics get better (if they ever do).

I agree with this just from my limited experience, but even then I feel like I can compensate for it on controller pretty easily. Just slam the stick around.
Yeah I was talking about the wheel. GT7 is absurd in how it rewards controllers/assists.

Edit

Rather, how it punishes wheel users. I'd be happy if controllers were this good in any GT before I got my first wheehl.

Last edited:
R3V
Yeah I was talking about the wheel. GT7 is absurd in how it rewards controllers/assists.
100% agree. I guess we'll see if they are ever incentivized to fix it, because right now the most severe of the issues with wheel usage (drifting) only affects a niche portion of their audience. I.e. people who are both using a wheel and who are interested specifically in drifting.

100% agree. I guess we'll see if they are ever incentivized to fix it, because right now the most severe of the issues with wheel usage (drifting) only affects a niche portion of their audience. I.e. people who are both using a wheel and who are interested specifically in drifting.
Me.

I miss the fast counter-steering of sport when using the race tab. The feeling of flicking the wheel thru turns and letting it slide through my hands as it slammed to lock was so satisfying.

Now I’m forced to use the steering adapter, which atleast feels better than drift tab did in sport, but the steering is just as slow.

I’m using a G27 and a converter I picked up off Amazon that resembles a usb stick (can’t remember brand name).

Running a G29 as well. It really doesn't feel like the steering angle adapter does anything, you still need to rotate the wheel all the way to the left/right to counter-steer effectively, whereas on controller you just slam the stick left/right and immediately max out the steering angle.

There really are no settings which make this better for the G29 huh? Because I'm pretty sure the only way to actually adjust steering angle on the G29 (lowering it from 360 to 270 or whatever) is through GHUB on PC, unless there are some settings on PS5 that I'm unaware of. Also just letting go of the wheel and letting it spin to counter-steer doesn't really work because the wheel doesn't spin anywhere near as quickly as it would irl.

If I am doing something severely wrong please let me know, part of the reason I got a wheel for this game was to drift eventually and it kinda seems like it won't be possible for a while.
I have a G29 too and I don't feel the wheel sensor is precise enough to match the real physics needed in GT7.

Also another big problem is whole the physics maybe sound they can't replicate other sensations you need for high speed driving, G forces, weight shifting under you, the feeling of grip from the tyres via your feet and backside.

Essentially you're being asked to do difficult driving skills while having only 1/10th of the tools you need

Wouldn't say it was easy with the controller, but it is easier on some of the drift missions than the wheel.

One strange thing I noticed - used the wheel first, then picked up the controller. The countdown timer is twice as loud with the controller, and I get applause when I get a score! Back to the wheel, again without exiting the mission, quieter countdown and no applause......

Oh so if you adjust the rotation degrees on PC the changes will carry over to console usage? I didn't realize that if so, will try it out later with the G29.
Unfortunately the changes don’t carry over to console’s. I’m only speaking on the Logitech G series wheels. 🍻

Hi I just joined the forum to get my head around it. I went to learn to drive using the wheel on GT7 too. I'm absurd, can't even initiate a drift!

I'm not sure if the steering settings are wrong or what. With a controller I can drift like a novice but with the wheel I'm rubbish!!!

Hi I just joined the forum to get my head around it. I went to learn to drive using the wheel on GT7 too. I'm absurd, can't even initiate a drift!

I'm not sure if the steering settings are wrong or what. With a controller I can drift like a novice but with the wheel I'm rubbish!!!
I was the same, just keep practising. I wonder if you're trying to hold onto the wheel too much though? 🤔 When you're initiating the drift (i usually clutch kick) take grip off your wheel to let it naturally spin to counter steer from the corner as your back end is going out, then try to catch it in the right position. Then after that its a combo of throttle control, steering inputs and possibly light braking to get the car to do what you want.

Just keep trying then eventally you will have the muscle memory and won't even have to think about it, then you can focus on the other things more. Just like when you learn to use a clutch and shifter during normal driving, once you don't have to think about what your hands and feet are doing you can focus on entering corners better or whatever.

Good luck :cheers:

I was the same, just keep practising. I wonder if you're trying to hold onto the wheel too much though? 🤔 When you're initiating the drift (i usually clutch kick) take grip off your wheel to let it naturally spin to counter steer from the corner as your back end is going out, then try to catch it in the right position. Then after that its a combo of throttle control, steering inputs and possibly light braking to get the car to do what you want.

Just keep trying then eventally you will have the muscle memory and won't even have to think about it, then you can focus on the other things more. Just like when you learn to use a clutch and shifter during normal driving, once you don't have to think about what your hands and feet are doing you can focus on entering corners better or whatever.

Did you gold all the drifting missions using a wheel? I'm bad enough with the controller, did try wheel briefly months back was rubbish, but wonder if worth revisiting if its a matter of time/technique and not almost impossible to gold with a wheel.

B80
Did you gold all the drifting missions using a wheel? I'm bad enough with the controller, did try wheel briefly months back was rubbish, but wonder if worth revisiting if its a matter of time/technique and not almost impossible to gold with a wheel.
Nah I only tried a couple of them but that was before I started to get decent too, I remember trying at the last one and only getting silver. Might have to give it a car. Not really a fan of drifting cars that I haven't set up myself though, and I struggle with my mental fortitude when it comes to license tests, missions, and circuit experience 😅

I made it, but never gold. Silver was the best I could get with my G29, but only once, and the replay wasn't very nice to watch :sly:
Yep I'm definitely familiar with that 🤣

B80
I have. I’m solely a drifter, so I immediately noticed something that racers chasing gold medals won’t.

The missions are rigged, kind of. Some cars in the challenges have angle adapters, which changes steering inputs and timing.

My advice? Just use a controller, collect your medals and keep it moving. OR, stop by the PRO drift lobbies sometimes. You may like it.

I'm not sure if my wheel settings are correct either. The wheel rotates 1080 degrees and I'm not sure what to set my FFB and counter steer to either

Another issue I noticed is my clutch didn't work on GT7 even when I use the fully manual transmission. It works when I test it one the controller settings but not with the cars. Just a headache with this game!

I think with the wheel you need to rotate it a lot to drift properly, taking your hands off the wheel to spin it around and all that. On pad you just flick the stick side to side and you're good.
Thank you, I'm having the same issue - can prevent spinning with controller but not with the g29 wheel -, and I figured the same: on the controller it's just 2cm movement while on the wheel it's >360 rotation. I should try, but in VR I can't see my wheel... I also think GT sport doesn't use all the 900 degrees of g29 (less rotation is enough for max steering)

Thank you, I'm having the same issue - can prevent spinning with controller but not with the g29 wheel -, and I figured the same: on the controller it's just 2cm movement while on the wheel it's >360 rotation. I should try, but in VR I can't see my wheel... I also think GT sport doesn't use all the 900 degrees of g29 (less rotation is enough for max steering)
Keep practicing until you're skilled enough

Keep practicing until you're skilled enough

thanks! so you literally spin the wheel 360 to countersteer and initiate drifting. I suspected so as this must be the input equivalent to what I'm doing on the controller (moving the left stick in the opposite direction of the corner).
Now I'll try this on my wheel, I suppose VR makes it harder as we can't see the wheel (and the virtual driver doesn't turn the wheel more than 180!). Did you practive outside VR?

Last edited:
thanks! so you literally spin the wheel 360 to countersteer and initiate drifting. I suspected so as this must be the input equivalent to what I'm doing on the controller (moving the left stick in the opposite direction of the corner).
Now I'll try this on my wheel, I suppose VR makes it harder as we can't see the wheel (and the virtual driver doesn't turn the wheel more than 180!). Did you practive outside VR?
Yes, I started drifting with a T500RS from GT5 (skip GT6),
When you are skilled enough at it, you don't need to look at the steering wheel at all,
It can even realize one-handed manipulation for drifting,
The initial situation that I will encounter with VR is that will miss the gear lever.
Because I can't confirm the position of the gear lever from the corner of my eye.

Yes, I started drifting with a T500RS from GT5 (skip GT6),
When you are skilled enough at it, you don't need to look at the steering wheel at all,
It can even realize one-handed manipulation for drifting,
The initial situation that I will encounter with VR is that will miss the gear lever.
Because I can't confirm the position of the gear lever from the corner of my eye.

Thank you, probably I should practice outside VR too - I just can't resist VR, and it's also hard to 'mess up' corners on purpose for practicing :)
Forgetting the actual gear in VR or even in real life happens to me as well, then I just touch the shifter to see if it's 'front' (1-3-5) or back (2-4-6), which is usually enough information (for example at speed 50km/h and a rev of ~2000 it can be gear 3 but not 1 or 5, but it's easier in a real car, feeling the torque).
In fact pushing the stick shift to a specific gear also helps remembering it. It's easier to lose track with the the quick up/down changes of paddle shifts, with those I have to look at the dashboard to see gear.

Last edited:
Some of the drift missions are just insane. The one at Suzuka took me over an hour to even pass, let alone get gold. The Daytona one with the Mustang was super easy to get gold, but the car did stop on me with 1,000 points to go. That Coyote engine is no joke, though, and just as in my own vehicle, Coyote equipped, one good stomp on the gas got me drifting instantly.I haven't messed with the Viper one much, but I do hold bronze on it.
The last one, the one at Tsukuba, don't even get me started. They give you a Subaru... which are known in game for their outstanding grip to begin with. That car, in that mission, has better grip than anything else I've ever raced on that track.
My highest score on it is 4,800 and change, that is the ONE silver level score I have earned on that mission. That is the only mission I don't have gold on in The Sun Also Rises.
I'm running a PS5 controller and using the gyroscopic steering. I have tried the D pad to no avail but haven't tried the analog stick.

Last edited:
I just wasted 2 hours trying to drift for the first time with a wheel (T300) with basically no improvement.
It was either going out the road, or spinning violently, not the desired in-between, what drifting is.

I tried all sorts of combinations of cars, tires, and assists with no luck.

Frustration level: over 9000. :dunce:

I gave up golding the drift mission, i think it was Moby Dick, with a controller, so not going to even try with a wheel.

Back