EDK's Real Life Racing Exploits

• Thread starter EDK
  • 303 comments
EDK
New build, second gen MR2 with a 3 liter V6. 200 or so HP.

Weighs about 500 more lbs. than the first gen car, and for this track was around 1.0 slower on the lap. But NA removes complexity and some upside to take weight out and dial in setup. Nice start. We broke every axle we had, so work to do to shore stuff up, but a nice starting point.

full

Second gen MR2's are awesome! Looks really cool, didn't know they came with a V6 model though, just assumed it was either turbo or not turbo :confused: guessing from the setup comments it has the traditional MR2 snap oversteer as well :crazy:

Either way, very cool!

Second gen MR2's are awesome! Looks really cool, didn't know they came with a V6 model though, just assumed it was either turbo or not turbo :confused: guessing from the setup comments it has the traditional MR2 snap oversteer as well :crazy:

Either way, very cool!
Engine swap. Minivan motor from a Sienna. The old car had a Previa supercharger. Basically, we kick your ass with a minivan. ;)

Not true snap oversteer, just traction loss throttle on. Too much torque, too much rear sway bar. We have fully adjustable coil overs, so can dial it in.

Not EDK but I did a thing yesterday. Not very exciting video, just wanted to show you the track (Vancouver Island Motorsport Circuit).

The guy in the black M2 had some sticky tires and supposedly better brake pads. But I guess if you upgrade tires then the brakes become the weakest link and he cooked them.

And here are some photos - https://photos.app.goo.gl/VbtUa9poaSognhnV9

Fun day. Got through a 50L gas tank in 160km. The track is not very punishing on brakes but it got hot in the afternoon so the tires took serious beating.
Thanks for posting. 👍

I watched a bit of your video, will have to look at more later. Layout looks fun and interesting.

A few questions from the pics -

1. Is that a Supra!?!?
  2. How many Vipers are there in Canada? Did you get pics of all of them?
  3. I've never been to a track day with zero Miatas. Were there no Miatas, or were you just not interested enough in them to take pictures? :lol:

EDK
Thanks for posting. 👍

I watched a bit of your video, will have to look at more later. Layout looks fun and interesting.

A few questions from the pics -

1. Is that a Supra!?!?
  2. How many Vipers are there in Canada? Did you get pics of all of them?
  3. I've never been to a track day with zero Miatas. Were there no Miatas, or were you just not interested enough in them to take pictures? :lol:

Great questions.

1. It is in fact the A60 Supra, the last generation that was called Celica Supra.
2. Not nearly as many as Corvettes but I see one from time to time. There were two yesterday (out of 15-20 total cars)
3. Holy crap, you are right! No Miatas but again, the event was limited to under 20 cars. The track would have been good for them. The guy in AP1 S2000 had a lot of fun.

Other interesting info: The M2 has so much torque I never used 2nd gear. It allowed me to focus on lines and I don't think it would have been much quicker. Next time I'll hit the track with a lap timer to compare.

I had better laps, this was still learning the track but I picked this one because it wasn't just me on the track.

Here are some pics from one of the organizers, he had time to capture all the cars - https://vancouverislandmotorsportcircuit.pixieset.com/openlappingday-11/

Last edited:
Great questions.

1. It is in fact the A60 Supra, the last generation that was called Celica Supra.
2. Not nearly as many as Corvettes but I see one from time to time. There were two yesterday (out of 15-20 total cars)
3. Holy crap, you are right! No Miatas but again, the event was limited to under 20 cars. The track would have been good for them. The guy in AP1 S2000 had a lot of fun.

Other interesting info: The M2 has so much torque I never used 2nd gear. It allowed me to focus on lines and I don't think it would have been much quicker. Next time I'll hit the track with a lap timer to compare.

I had better laps, this was still learning the track but I picked this one because it wasn't just me on the track.

Here are some pics from one of the organizers, he had time to capture all the cars - https://vancouverislandmotorsportcircuit.pixieset.com/openlappingday-11/
Right, 2 vipers out of 20 cars is nuts. :lol: Was surprised by the number of muscle cars overall.

So that Supra, my best man at my wedding had one for a bit, I think it was even that color. Then he and his brother did a tune up, and promptly flipped it onto its lid in the ditch. :(

A track day with 2 vipers and zero Miatas is...........bizarre. It seems like the track days I went to were 25% Miata and 10% Totoya 86/Subara BRZ.

I never used second gear in my Challenger on track. And the 3rd to 4th shift is at 70 MPH. 4th to 5th at 110, I came close to limiter in 4th at Sonoma, but never shifted to 5th on track either. 3rd and 4th, all the way. It's much easier that way. 👍

EDK
Right, 2 vipers out of 20 cars is nuts. :lol: Was surprised by the number of muscle cars overall.

So that Supra, my best man at my wedding had one for a bit, I think it was even that color. Then he and his brother did a tune up, and promptly flipped it onto its lid in the ditch. :(

A track day with 2 vipers and zero Miatas is...........bizarre. It seems like the track days I went to were 25% Miata and 10% Totoya 86/Subara BRZ.

I never used second gear in my Challenger on track. And the 3rd to 4th shift is at 70 MPH. 4th to 5th at 110, I came close to limiter in 4th at Sonoma, but never shifted to 5th on track either. 3rd and 4th, all the way. It's much easier that way. 👍

The S2000 owner was quite envious of the torque :)
Check out the other link with photos, it shows all the cars. Very strange lineup indeed, lots of wealthy people (and me) live here.

Have been doing some participant only racing this year.

We built 2 new cars. A second gen MR2 with a 2.5 Liter V6, and an Corolla FX with Camry Solara Subframes and a 3.5 Liter V6 out of a Sienna minivan.

We raced at Sonoma last weekend in the Corolla, first time we have raced there in just over 8 years, last time was December 2012.

First shake down for the Corolla was in October at Portland, then we did a track day at Thunderhill in November.

We reduced the spring rates and put a rear ARB on the car to get it to rotate. It drives a lot better than Kaz's idea of Front Wheel Drive.

This is my fast lap on Sunday, it was rainy in the first half of my stint, and this was the first lap when I figured out I had dry track grip. :)

We were on for a class podium on Saturday, but this happened with an hour to go.

In case you are interested, here is some video of the second gen MR2.

Its NEVER ok when you are pressing on and the car says NOT NOW DEAR....and goes merrily on its, not your , way! GREEN WITH ENVY!!!! Keep em coming.

I meant to also say, this is a really good lens into what the type of endurance racing I do is all about. This was the second stint on Saturday, in an 8 hour race.

We are in the second class, it's clear to see the top class cars, I point a lot of then by. The goal is to clear the bottom class cars efficiently, and to pick off as many in class as possible. Pass, or be passed.

So about that picture. :)

We had a race in Arizona last weekend, at Inde Motorsports Ranch. The track is a "Country Club" race track, with $9,000 per year membership, garages for the members to keep their expensive cars in, "Casitas" for them to stay in, and a private airstrip for them to fly into. The track is about 10 years old, and was recently completely resurfaced. It's a top notch facility, and a fantastic track to drive. A huge challenge, and a ton of fun. It fits right in among the top tracks on the west coast, keeping in mind we most recently raced at Sonoma/Sears Point!

We used the below layout for the Friday track day and two days of racing. The map does not do the track justice, as there is a ton of elevation change that adds to the overall challenge. Going in, I thought turn 14 was going to be something like the final Tsukuba hairpin, but that turn at Tsukuba does not have a climb on entry and an off camber apex!

inde-track-map-names.jpg

Jason, who prepares and runs the car, has family in Arizona. He decided to tow the car into Phoenix on an open trailer for Spring Break, with a race sandwiched in between. :)

Jamie and I flew into Tucson, which is around 2 hours south of Phoenix and 90 minutes west of the track. The track is in Willcox, which is in the Arizona high desert at 4,000 feet elevation, and closer to New Mexico and El Paso than just about anything else. ;)

My journey began on Thursday morning, with a short flight over to Portland. I joined up with Jamie there, and we flew on the same plane into the modest (and mostly empty) Tucson airport.

I went and got the rental car while Jamie picked up his race gear from the checked baggage area. Then we were off to Dick's Sporting Goods for a small gas grill and Walmart for various supplies for the weekend, including (another) ~$15 cooler. :lol:

Jamie had never been to Arizona, so he was amazed by the Cactus. Amazed enough to take photos of strip mall Cacti.

167434777_10158092210348225_3704096683017888360_n.jpg

With that complete, we hit the road toward the track, trying in vain to catch Jason on his drive from Phoenix, just 3-4 miles up the road from the rental car.

Jason pulled off to the side at our exit ramp, and I was pleased to discover the race car had been painted in Phoenix, complete with Initial D theme!

We took the car to the track to park it for the night, then piled back into the rental car to check in at the Holiday Inn Express. With that done, it was time for dinner, in a rural Arizona town with a robust population of ~3,500.

Jamie asked for Mexican food, while Jason voted bar food. The guy who brings the race car wins out every time, so we were off to this establishment.

167893408_10158092211208225_7711760658779007930_n.jpg

Google Maps did not point out the U-Cook-Em at the bottom of the sign.

And they were not lying. :lol: Good thing I know how to cook. ;)

IMG_20210325_195312267.jpg

After steaks and a couple beers, it was off to bed to get ready for the Friday track day. Details in next post. :)

Sorry, video editing is taking a bit more than I anticipated.

I finally managed to get my first race stint complete, and then moved onto an edit of my track day stints. I was on track 3 times for about an hour 15 total on Friday. I did an edit with some time from each of the 3 sessions in order, which will give you a feel for getting up to speed and figuring out the best place to make it past cars that are also unfamiliar with the track.

I started out REALLY slow and lost, and by the end of the day I felt like I had a reasonable grasp of the track layout and how to find speed. The track has a ton of elevation change, and a lot of layout options. So in places it was difficult to tell where to even go when first on track.

After we cycled through all of our track day sessions and got everyone some seat time, we did final prep on the car for race day and grilled up some dinner at the track. Then it was off to the room to get ready for race day!

EDK
Sorry, video editing is taking a bit more than I anticipated.

I finally managed to get my first race stint complete, and then moved onto an edit of my track day stints. I was on track 3 times for about an hour 15 total on Friday. I did an edit with some time from each of the 3 sessions in order, which will give you a feel for getting up to speed and figuring out the best place to make it past cars that are also unfamiliar with the track.

I started out REALLY slow and lost, and by the end of the day I felt like I had a reasonable grasp of the track layout and how to find speed. The track has a ton of elevation change, and a lot of layout options. So in places it was difficult to tell where to even go when first on track.

After we cycled through all of our track day sessions and got everyone some seat time, we did final prep on the car for race day and grilled up some dinner at the track. Then it was off to the room to get ready for race day!

Looked like a tough layout

With that lead in out of the way, and my video editor finally cooperating, now it's onto Saturday race day.

We arrived at the track by 7:30 am, with plans for an 8 am driver's meeting, a 9 am qualifying session, and a 10 am race start. The Saturday race was 7 hours, with checkered flag at 5 pm.

Jamie took the qualifying session and had the third fastest lap with a 2:06. Teams tend not to go all out in qualifying, so it would be interesting to see how other cars would fare come race time.

The main contenders on the grid seemed to be usual suspects for our series in recent years. An E36 BMW M3 and a Spec E46 BMW.

The one that caught my eye when we were lining up for the grid - A Porsche 996 GT3!

167386319_10158092211043225_4785417853651138267_n.jpg

Complete with Dealer support from the red van you can see behind the car......

So yeah, we had our work cut out for us. You can hear my comment at the beginning of my full First Stint video. I trimmed this down to remove some of the early caution laps prior to green flag and some red flag down time mid stint. I ran the first 2 hours from 10 am to noon.

During that long caution that ultimately ended up in a red flag for cleanup, we discussed whether we should bring the car in for strategic reasons. The pit stops were required as 10 minutes minimum, which is about 5 laps lost in full green flag running. And if cars are circulating behind the safety car, you can get a stop done in 2 or 2.5 laps. Big difference! Ultimately we decided to keep the car out. They were not quite ready with gear on for fueling, and it was really early to lock in what might be our only strategic maneuver of the race. Keeping in mind that maximum driver stint length is 2 hours, so 3 stops are required, but you only have about 90 minutes of overall slack time to use for strategy adjustment.

I had started in 7th overall, lining up in the "A Class" line when gridding up. I made some passes and watched a lot of cars make mistakes in front of me while over driving the car, the track, or their own abilities. ;) I was able to consistent run laps in the 2:00-2:01 range, even with slower class traffic. And I managed a fast lap of around 1:59.5.

This has us classed solidly in the A class. We were in B class at Sonoma and in our first race with the car in Portland, before it could turn, we were in C class. There were about 30 cars at this race overall, and the top 8-10 would likely end up in the race contending class.

At the end of my stint, we were running in third place overall, and I was right on the tail of the second place Porsche. Several of the contending cars were really fast, but also made some mistakes in front of us. It was setting up to be a great race.

Jason drove the second stint, and continued to run in podium position throughout. There was one fast car, a Turbo Miata, that was running in first overall because they took advantage of the caution period during the first stint. Their pace was very similar to ours, but they had a couple laps on us due to strategy.

Jason had great pace as usual, and had our fast lap for the team on the day in the 1:58's. Overall race pace was very similar, and things were setting up nicely for us.

Jamie mentioned during Jason's stint that he thought I should go out third and let Jason finish the race to give our team a better chance to win. My race pace was around 5 seconds faster than his qualifying, so he was being it mainly on that and wanting to give the team the best chance.

We're amateur racers, and we don't spend all the time and money we do to go to the track and not race. I suggested to Jamie that if he wanted to help the team, we should put him in the car and use his stint for strategy. He would get in with about 3 hours left in the race, and the go in plan was to let him drive 2 hours, I would take the final hour or so.

Instead, we decided that once he was in the window for us to make one more stop, 2 hours 10 minutes to go, we would pit in the event of any incident or track conditions that likely signaled a long caution.

Once Jamie was in the car, we had around 2 laps to make up to the overall leader, and we were running in 4th at the time, with a high chance of a 3rd place finish. Jamie did great, he was around 2 seconds per lap off of our fastest race pace, plenty to keep us in the mix.

And with about 1 hours 45 mins to go, we got our chance. A car oiled down the track at turn 12 and Jamie was not far behind the incident. It happened at turn 12, so he had just a few turns to go before pit in. He radioed in and we were ready for our stop, to top it off with fuel and put me back in the car.

As it turned out, the oil down was severe, the E30 BMW had lost an oil cooler line and kept driving from turn 12 to pit in.

It took the safety crews over an hour to clean it up. I sat in the car by the pit out fence and our lap timer said 77 minutes (since we had entered pit in) when I went on track. That meant we had 20 minutes left, we were 2-3 laps behind, and the leading 3 cars needed to do a 10 minute pit stop.

They did 2 caution laps when we went out before restarting, and the cars that had not pitted needed to stop at the end of the first. So as it turned out, they would get a lap back, but we should still have around a lap available.

During the final stint, I was in full preservation mode. Jason was reminding me to keep it clean, and I wasn't taking chances with any risky passes in traffic. And I got the radio call with 2 flying laps to go that we had cycled to the lead on live timing. Not the lead in class, the overall lead!

I managed to bring it home with about a minute lead on the chasing cars. You can check out my fist pump at the end of the below video, not sure if there is much else to watch.

This is our first overall win in nearly 10 years. The last one was my second race at Laguna Seca. It definitely solidified my fondness for this track, and certainly made the minivan project worth it!

I hope you guys enjoyed reading, I will try to get up some fast laps for the TL;DR guys as well. :)

EDK
With that lead in out of the way, and my video editor finally cooperating, now it's onto Saturday race day.

We arrived at the track by 7:30 am, with plans for an 8 am driver's meeting, a 9 am qualifying session, and a 10 am race start. The Saturday race was 7 hours, with checkered flag at 5 pm.

Jamie took the qualifying session and had the third fastest lap with a 2:06. Teams tend not to go all out in qualifying, so it would be interesting to see how other cars would fare come race time.

The main contenders on the grid seemed to be usual suspects for our series in recent years. An E36 BMW M3 and a Spec E46 BMW.

The one that caught my eye when we were lining up for the grid - A Porsche 996 GT3!

167386319_10158092211043225_4785417853651138267_n.jpg

Complete with Dealer support from the red van you can see behind the car......

So yeah, we had our work cut out for us. You can hear my comment at the beginning of my full First Stint video. I trimmed this down to remove some of the early caution laps prior to green flag and some red flag down time mid stint. I ran the first 2 hours from 10 am to noon.

During that long caution that ultimately ended up in a red flag for cleanup, we discussed whether we should bring the car in for strategic reasons. The pit stops were required as 10 minutes minimum, which is about 5 laps lost in full green flag running. And if cars are circulating behind the safety car, you can get a stop done in 2 or 2.5 laps. Big difference! Ultimately we decided to keep the car out. They were not quite ready with gear on for fueling, and it was really early to lock in what might be our only strategic maneuver of the race. Keeping in mind that maximum driver stint length is 2 hours, so 3 stops are required, but you only have about 90 minutes of overall slack time to use for strategy adjustment.

I had started in 7th overall, lining up in the "A Class" line when gridding up. I made some passes and watched a lot of cars make mistakes in front of me while over driving the car, the track, or their own abilities. ;) I was able to consistent run laps in the 2:00-2:01 range, even with slower class traffic. And I managed a fast lap of around 1:59.5.

This has us classed solidly in the A class. We were in B class at Sonoma and in our first race with the car in Portland, before it could turn, we were in C class. There were about 30 cars at this race overall, and the top 8-10 would likely end up in the race contending class.

At the end of my stint, we were running in third place overall, and I was right on the tail of the second place Porsche. Several of the contending cars were really fast, but also made some mistakes in front of us. It was setting up to be a great race.

Jason drove the second stint, and continued to run in podium position throughout. There was one fast car, a Turbo Miata, that was running in first overall because they took advantage of the caution period during the first stint. Their pace was very similar to ours, but they had a couple laps on us due to strategy.

Jason had great pace as usual, and had our fast lap for the team on the day in the 1:58's. Overall race pace was very similar, and things were setting up nicely for us.

Jamie mentioned during Jason's stint that he thought I should go out third and let Jason finish the race to give our team a better chance to win. My race pace was around 5 seconds faster than his qualifying, so he was being it mainly on that and wanting to give the team the best chance.

We're amateur racers, and we don't spend all the time and money we do to go to the track and not race. I suggested to Jamie that if he wanted to help the team, we should put him in the car and use his stint for strategy. He would get in with about 3 hours left in the race, and the go in plan was to let him drive 2 hours, I would take the final hour or so.

Instead, we decided that once he was in the window for us to make one more stop, 2 hours 10 minutes to go, we would pit in the event of any incident or track conditions that likely signaled a long caution.

Once Jamie was in the car, we had around 2 laps to make up to the overall leader, and we were running in 4th at the time, with a high chance of a 3rd place finish. Jamie did great, he was around 2 seconds per lap off of our fastest race pace, plenty to keep us in the mix.

And with about 1 hours 45 mins to go, we got our chance. A car oiled down the track at turn 12 and Jamie was not far behind the incident. It happened at turn 12, so he had just a few turns to go before pit in. He radioed in and we were ready for our stop, to top it off with fuel and put me back in the car.

As it turned out, the oil down was severe, the E30 BMW had lost an oil cooler line and kept driving from turn 12 to pit in.

It took the safety crews over an hour to clean it up. I sat in the car by the pit out fence and our lap timer said 77 minutes (since we had entered pit in) when I went on track. That meant we had 20 minutes left, we were 2-3 laps behind, and the leading 3 cars needed to do a 10 minute pit stop.

They did 2 caution laps when we went out before restarting, and the cars that had not pitted needed to stop at the end of the first. So as it turned out, they would get a lap back, but we should still have around a lap available.

During the final stint, I was in full preservation mode. Jason was reminding me to keep it clean, and I wasn't taking chances with any risky passes in traffic. And I got the radio call with 2 flying laps to go that we had cycled to the lead on live timing. Not the lead in class, the overall lead!

I managed to bring it home with about a minute lead on the chasing cars. You can check out my fist pump at the end of the below video, not sure if there is much else to watch.

This is our first overall win in nearly 10 years. The last one was my second race at Laguna Seca. It definitely solidified my fondness for this track, and certainly made the minivan project worth it!

I hope you guys enjoyed reading, I will try to get up some fast laps for the TL;DR guys as well. :)

Congrats guys

I enjoyed the read, Kevin. Thanks

I have to watch the videos later, the track sounds challenging.

Congratulations of the overall win!

I enjoyed the read, Kevin. Thanks

I have to watch the videos later, the track sounds challenging.

Congratulations of the overall win!
Nice hearing from you, Kenny. I hope all is well. 👍

SWEET !!!!! I haven't watched all the video yet....but love desert tracks with elevation change...and your comment about initial “where does the track go” brought up memories of my first laps at tracks ....always a bit easier, as you noted, if there is someone in front of you. When I went to Riverside for my novice weekend the instructor told me to be ready to turn right after the esses as the track also went straight ahead onto the NASCAR cut out of 6,which led right to the back straight, cutting out the bunch of corners that were deemed too annoying for the Southron Iron. well, sure as hell, when they released the FF hoard ( over 20 of us plus assorted FB and Cs and some rich idiot in a F5000 car) for our very first time on the track,the first guy came out of the esses and went up the incline into 6 onto the flat and ignoring the line of cones....went straight onto the NASCAR cut off and was followed by about three other cars in the lead group. Many red faces in the debrief. But compared to the various layouts of your track Riverside was a pussycat.

Nice job...goodonya Mike !

Last edited:
Since more people have shared their reallife experiences in here i thought i'd post this here.

So @PASM and I bought an iame x30 two-stroke kart a while back. We tore it down and rebuild it back up again so we knew what we have and we can trust the thing a bit more. Due to covid and some other factors the first trackday got delayed quite a bit but last weekend we finally had a go. This is an impression video. We're currently working on a vlog series about how we bought, disassembled and rebuild it again that series will also have a more extensive vlog about how the day went. but consider this an apatizer of some sort. Very curious about what you guys think of it. don't hessitate to share your thoughts on it.

Here's another clip about some driving in the wet on slicks. Bit less powerfull karts though. still had fun... and a wet suit :P

Back