eiriksmil's cars

• Thread starter eiriksmil
  • 378 comments
Norway
Norway
My name is Eirik, and I like cars. If you don't like to read, scroll for pictures. I present to you my stable.. :)

Four years ago I built this Daihatsu, low with wide wheels. I guess that car started it all:
IMG058-1.jpg

Since that I've had and hoared some.. I like to post in the member's rides thread, but I've decided to collect it all in one thread. Instead of posting just glimpses, why not try to make a decent thread..

I currently live in a capital city flat - not an ideal base for a car nut but I can have some time away from the cars as well. I rent a little garage 30 miles north of here with three buddies where I can work on one car. Me and another buddy also have this 'toy barn', but it's 60 miles from here so I don't go there every day, safe to say.

I recently lost a lot of pics in a hard drive crash, but I still got enough to give a good picture of what my life is all about.. Everything is from my P-bucket, and some cars I don't have interior shots, close ups etc of right now. But it's a start I guess..

The outside of the toy barn on a typical day:
IMG_9749-2.jpg

The Mk3 pictured is mine.. The pic is from early last year, a couple of weeks later it looked like this:
IMG_9782-2.jpg

I still need to paint the rockers.. It's a '93 with 100k miles on the clock and a 1.8 (euro) power plant, about five owners before me I think.. It was picked up by one of my best buddies a little after I built the blue Charade, we did the works, coilovers, rust repairs, lights, switches, basically we made a sweet little daily Mk3. Mechanically sound, floor boards have been welded for a rust hole, one rocker replaced. Sand blasted and painted the rear arches, they've also been cut and rolled to accomodate wider wheels without rubbing. Red and blue Mk4 lightning inside, with plasma gauges and Mk3.5 bits - I need a light switch and it's complete.

2.9 VR6 Recaro seats, Sparco wheel, etc. It's a nice place to be :)
IMG_9826-2.jpg

The Golf was bought to replace my old Corolla KE70 as my daily, but I decided not to winter daily it to keep it good.

My old KE70 looks like this:
IMG090-2-1.jpg

Best Car In The World. Nothing more to write home about really. Not my top priority (for a good reason), but I haven't been able to crush it either. It served as my daily for quite a long time, I had started sourcing bits to build it cool when a tire blew out, sending it straight into a ditch. Not the best day of my life.. But we straightened it out with a huge tree and a huge chain and I beat on it the next winter again. All downhill from that point really :)

Inside the toy barn, located as far from the entrance as possible, rests another KE70.
IMG109-2.jpg

This one has some rust, but not more than you would expect from a 30 year old car driven in the country. We drove from Oslo to the North Cape with this car some years back, it was awesome. I moved to southern Norway just after that road trip and dismantled it for a complete resto, I had the facilities but perhaps not the skill or contacts to make it happen - hindsight is a bitch, but that's life. I moved back to Oslo a year later and brought it with me on a trailer - it's on the back burner, but it's a good starting point for a resto when the time is right.

Speaking of Toyotas, I also have a 1977 Toyota Cressida:
IMG_9887-2.jpg

Right now it's parked in the toy barn for work to continue when the weather is a little nicer. It's done a little over 100k miles.. Bought new, then as far as I've understood sold to another guy who died and his son got it. My buddy bought it from him, I remember collecting the car with him just after coming back from a Tokyo flight.. When he decided to sell it, he asked me first. I've started on the panels, absolutely each one is mangled, bent, rusted, bondoed etc. I have made friends with a body guy that does good work and is constantly broke over the winter, so I'm planning to get him to do some simple work on it, mostly welding. Got the car cheap, could be a nice summer occasional oldskooler, plan is just to have it road legal without rust painted white (cheap). It will never see a car show.. :)

Current status, in hiatus:
IMG064-2.jpg

For a while I got side tracked with a mini truck.. '87 Nissan Hardbody, we did a lot of work to both a house and the barn last summer so I picked this one up for cheap and had my fun:
IMG030-2-1.jpg

It's ready to go. I also have a Golf Mk2. It's a very particular car.. I got talking with a dude in Cali about four years ago. It was low on 13" Schmidt TH-Lines, basically the lowest Mk2 I've ever seen. I liked it - a lot. It was sold to a buddy of him, then brought back to him. Then last summer he asked me if I wanted it.. I have some contacts within shipping, now I had the money, the place to keep it, if maybe not the time for it.. It arrived in Norway in October, and I've basically driven it from the port to the barn for winter storage:
IMG037-2-1.jpg

It's a 1986 California car, rust free. 71k miles, 1.8 auto with no options. A weird car to bring here perhaps, but I figured why not.. I like out of the ordinary. Taken straight after driven in for winter storage:
IMG088-2.jpg

I like Volkswagens, I can't lie. I had a boring Toyota Corolla winter beater, sold it yesterday and picked up this one the past week:
IMG248-2-1.jpg

1996 Mk3 w/AC, (this shouldn't come as a surprise) I got it cheap and (neither will this) I've wanted a white Mk3 for a long time :) Won't be anything spectacular, just a little daily fun..

Speaking of daily, I kinda daily a Toyota Yaris Verso. My dad has owned this soon twelve years now, but he rarely uses it and it's been my daily for 1 1/2 year since my red Mk3 went into arch work. It's the car behind the scenes on all my projects, it's awesome. It's a van, it's a people mover, it's a grocery getter, it's a parts hauler, it's a camper and it's a city car :)
IMG155-2.jpg

So, that leaves us with the Daihatsus. I picked up a red Charade in December.. "I got it for cheap". It's a reason for that, I picked it up basically at a farm field as a runner but barely. Drove it home with the exhaust straight out of the down pipe. The blue car has donated its exhaust, tails and some body parts and it's starting to come together. It will go through an MOT/state inspection, the coilovers from the blue car will be fitted and it will get a set of wheels. I have a good set laying on my kitchen floor (as you do). It will be lower than the blue car was, and if everything works out as planned (funny thing, it rarely does) it could be the base of a 1.6 swap. It currently looks like this:
IMG249-2.jpg

My blue Charade is very sadly due for the crusher - it was a pretty car with a rusty shell, also with some frame damage it's really nothing to keep. Status of Saturday:
IMG260-1.jpg

First priority is getting the blue Charade out and gone.. I live my life day by day, I don't have dates for completing projects because as you can see, I'm pretty good giving myself more work, I don't like cutting corners just to finish something and I know that everything will need more time and money than you initially guess. Now I also remember the reason for why I don't make these kinda threads really - I'm reminded of the fact that I have some work ahead of me.. :embarrassed: Anyway, that's basically it. I try from time to time and collect some cars together for pics, but it's not always that easy.. I do have a little picture from the street this weekend:

IMG247-1.jpg

Car count: Too many. Before questions on why not owning one cool car and a beater that always works, or just one cool car, I can just say that I have my reasons, mainly because at times I feel like I'm living my own automotive dream :) Thanks for watching :) I'll use this thread from now on when progress have been made..

Your neighbors must be happy you take 3 spots ;)?

Nice little garage you have there. defenitifly a Vw nut.
What engine drivetrain do you have in the rabbits?

VR6, sycros,...? Or all FF?

My favorite old golf is...
golf_2_4.jpg

What are you going to do with all the cars.
They are not all daily drivers, are they?

Your neighbors must be happy you take 3 spots ;)?

Nice little garage you have there. defenitifly a Vw nut.
What engine drivetrain do you have in the rabbits?

VR6, sycros,...? Or all FF?

My favorite old golf is...
golf_2_4.jpg

My neighbors don't know they're all mine.. Atleast I hope so, then I'd get hell haha :)

They're Golfs, only Mk1s and Mk5s have been called Rabbits, but that's Stateside. All of them are front wheel driven, the Mk2 and the red 3 are powered by 1.8s, the blue car an auto.. The white Mk3 is a 100hp 1.6 crossflow.. I guess you could call me a little Volkswagen nut.. :) I mainly build and drive Daihatsus, Toyotas and VWs..

What are you going to do with all the cars.
They are not all daily drivers, are they?

The Hardbody is being crushed due to rust, it's the only thing it's got plenty of.. :) If I had a house with garage I could summer daily more cars, last summer I drove the Cressida and the red Mk3 a little.. This years dailies will be the Funcargo and the white Mk3, the Cressida will probably be driven a bit too if I can make a good driver out of it.. :) One buddy wants the Cressida so I'll let him have it when the time is right. The red Daihatsu was bought just to build, the blue Mk2 was bought to preserve.. Same reason I won't be selling the red Mk3.. Rather do a G60 swap ;)

Ahh so you buy them to save them? Thats going to be a lot of work then! Id just have a few cars and focus more time on them...

I find the time.. Building these is good fun.. :)
MoT/state inspection is no fun though.. Reverting non-approved mods back to stock is like taking a little soul out of the car, blah..
IMG-1-2.jpg

Gotta retrieve my coilover wrenches on Saturday and get to work, raise the car a little and swap the exhaust.. Then it's road legal bar a couple of items..

If I lived in Norway I'd do my best to get you to sell me that red MK3. Nice work and I'd love to be able to do what your doing fixing up all those cars.

CMvan46
If I lived in Norway I'd do my best to get you to sell me that red MK3. Nice work and I'd love to be able to do what your doing fixing up all those cars.

You like it huh :) It's okay, but it getting nicer this year I hope.. Measured up the TB today for a new intake pipe, but I'm not running fender liners/locaris because of the height, I guess having an open air filter nearer the wheel well isn't the wisest idea then..
Like I said I'm having fun here.. Today we also tried to figure out how to run a PAS pump on a Daihatsu GTti, it's gonna be a tight fit.. But I want my blue car to live on in as many cars as possible.. :)

:0 the blue Charade, crushed!!!! That's pretty damn sad to hear, I always liked your car, so basic yet it looked neat. Yeah you have another one but I always liked the blue one.

the blue MK2 looks good too.

Yeah, I know.. It's sad.. But it was pretty fun watching the tractor put the claws in it yesterday :)
IMG004-3.jpg

Like I've said I'll never quit building G100 Charades.. :)

Adjusted the coilovers on the red Golf today to legal height.. The last one was seized, but after a lot of swearing it finally came around. The more I touch this car the more boring it gets.. Forgot my camera but now it looks like a stock Golf.. :(
Speaking of coilovers, I cleaned the Charade coilovers up real good, I dropped the top mounts and springs off at the powder coater a couple of weeks ago.. Can't decide if I'm having the lower mounts done too.. In that case the spring hats, perches and nuts would be gold plated in addition.. Seems a little to extensive and expensive for a $100 car picked up on a field.. :)

Red Mk3 progress: Exhaust is in, Monopoint injection gasket replaced.. Soon ready for the road again :) At least for state inspection lol..
White Mk3 progress: State inspected today, rusty brake lines and rusty sub frame.. FAIL.. I'll get it done faster than you can say speed, I wanna enjoy this car.. :)

Got one Ronal Turbo repaired and also delivered a set of wheels (Google: Atiwe) for polishing.. Got the red Mk3 out on the road today and enjoyed it a little, and the coilovers for the Funcargo arrived the other day, going in during the weekend I guess.. :) Making good progress here I feel.. Too little time for pics though, that's gotta change.

Crazy Dude!!

Coilovers in the Verso. Good stuff.

The Cressida needs lowering too, look it's begging for it in that picture

:lol:

Eirik, you're nuts. Could have sworn you only had about three cars last time I checked. Sad to see the blue Daihatsu go, saw it on GTP first, then it popped up with the Retro Cars mag relaunch (off topic: I applied for a job at RC a few months back, didn't get an interview though - gutted) and I always assumed it'd be a keeper.

Still, you have plenty of other stuff to keep you busy! I'd love to see the Cressida done up nicely, but if it's a beater then it's a beater!

Any other Daihatsus on the way? I'd be after one of their mad kei-cars, if I were you.

I got hold of some RS4 replica wheels a week ago, fitted them to the Funcargo today.. Pics tomorrow :)
Also picked up the Atiwes from the polisher this week, they came out dandy.. Now, what to put them on lol..

The Cressida is a fun little car. It's by no means a beater, just an old hotrodded, rusty car. The exhaust is a straight pipe going into the rear quarter which is rusted out, so it gets interesting after a little drive lol. It will never have show finish, but hopefully it will be one color by the end of the year.. Mirrors on the fenders, wide wheels and coilovers/air ride are in the cards, but it's being built on a lower budget than the other cars so it happens when it happens.. :)

Haven't done very much to the cars lately, but I did plate my Honda SH50 today lol. Need to focus on white and red Golfs for the next weeks, always something to do.

Had my Golf Mk2 out for its first drive of the year last weekend
IMG_1105-2.jpg

And fitted another set of wheels to the daily.. Probably going on the white Mk3.
IMG148-2.jpg

Haha, not doing another set for a while.. :) I actually had the Atiwes polished by another guy, I need to snap some pics cause they came out very nice and shiny :)

Just driving this at the moment, I dig it.. Grocery getter, work van, parts hauler, people mover, canyon weapon, all in one package.. Whats not to love :)

I took a drive an ended up at nowhere:
IMG009-2-1.jpg

And my Mk3.. :)
IMG037-2-3.jpg

Need to finish it up, paint the rockers black and fit a VR lip (that's gonna last 20 minutes).. Then onto the white Mk3.. :)

Took my daily to Cyprus, 6300 mile road trip.. Jeezus..
IMG094-2-2.jpg

Saw my Colt there, gave it a wash:
IMG025-2-1.jpg

And some JDM Mirage corners
IMG132-2.jpg

Went back home and put some wheels on my blue car.. I'm putting other wheels on it before the weekend though.. I think.
557435_437610062946379_1721781665_n.jpg

Another shot of the new G10:
IMG086-2-1.jpg

Interior shot
IMG080-2-1.jpg

It needs a ball joint and some rear brake magic.. I called my guy at the Daihatsu dealer today just to hear if they may had some leftover balljoints.. He basically said all parts are NLA.. Yey :D

Oh, and dailying this these days.. :)
7762151216_f6dd4c109a_b.jpg

Back