El Capitan 2004: Restoration Project

• Thread starter steel89ita
  • 14 comments
Italy
Italy
Hello everyone and welcome to this project.
I created this thread with the intention to show the latest news about a project that I started a while ago, receive feedbacks and maybe some suggestions to give a real remake to the beautiful track we all loved on Gran Turismo 4.
I hope you will like it like me.

El Capitan 2004: Restoration Project
Road to El Capitan 2004 - Phase 01

What's going to be:
A real restoration and recreation of the original Gran Turismo 4 track, with the original feeling and some more features that are available to Assetto Corsa + CSP.

The current status, what's done and what's not:

Version v.0.7: Public Beta

• 9 Opponents grid (the track has a small pit lane)
  • GrassFX and RainFX compatible
  • Compatible with CSP 1.60+, Sol and Pure
  • Track collisions - done - still some areas to be fixed
  • Basic AI and AI Hints - done
  • CSP Extension for shaders, see river - done
  • Basic Vertex VAO Patch for CSP - done
  • Gran Turismo Basic Camera - done
Complete it with the fantastic Camtool Cameras by GiuNiral:

Installation Istructions:
  1. Install CM Manager with the latest CSP (possibly 0.1.75 at least)
  2. Install SOL or Pure for extra awesomeness
  3. Drag and Drop the zip to the CM window
  4. Click the menu to the top right and click install
  5. Play!
Thanks to everyone that made this possible, in particular to whom helped me to learn about Assetto Corsa track modding:
  • X4fab, Luchian, Lilski, Gunnar333 and many others that still creates awesome tutorials for this game.
Download here:

If you find this useful, consider becoming a Patreon supporter to help me with the development of this and other tracks:

Patreon Link

First screenshots on the actual progress:

Videos:

Last edited:
I just updated the main post with new infos on the v.0.6, that has more fixed glitches, meshes and a better AI with AI Hints.

A good news for anyone that wants to try the track: the first public beta is set for tomorrow, 14 December 2021!
Tune in to this video tomorrow to download it:

I want to give you an update to the project.
The mod was well received and I want to thank everyone that liked the track on youtube, discord and all the forums. Seems like El Capitan is in the heart of every GT player :)

What's next?
Now that we have a public beta and everyone can play with the original feeling and vibes of the track, it's time to take a step forward, and go to the phase 02:
El Capitan 2022

What's going to be:

The remake of the original track: we keep the original feeling, but we port it to the next level.
What does it mean?

Slightly changed layout (no, not too much, promised), redrawn roads for better handling and force feedback, better objects, more details, new modeling for grass, sand, rocks, new trees (2d and 3d), new buildings and bridges.
This will take even more time than it took to have the current track, but I'll do my best to make an even better track.

Speaking of layouts, my idea is to slightly change some elevation of the track (turn 7 as of now, the highest point) and add a bigger pit-lane to allow more opponents.

What's the status?
I started experimenting with 3d trees and sculpting of some parts of the track.
The basic terrain (grass and sand) has been remade and it's ready to be sculpted too.
This is a screenshot in Blender of the sculpting progress.

1639689333545.png

This needs to be front-page news on this website ASAP. Midfield and Apricot Hill got the spotlight and I think this deserves it as well.
Thanks man, this kind of comments really give me joy. It's great to hear that you like it! :)

I posted this in the Mods thread. I thought you'd posted the video so thought I was replying to you:
That brings back some very nice memories from GT4 - thanks. I'd forgotten just how much fun this track is.
Hopefully you'll be adding the reverse route too?
One of the biggest challenges you might face is finding textures of sufficient resolution for the mountains, especially those close to the track.
The tarmac is perhaps a little too light compared to this GT4 video, and glare when driving into the sun maybe makes it turn too light a grey?

Keep up the good work, I'll be following development closely.

Hi everyone! Giu Niral released his set of 4 different cameras for CamTool, they are perfect for El Capitan!
Check it out:

About the project, I'm adding some new details and fixing some glitches.. I'll keep you updated soon with new details!

I posted this in the Mods thread. I thought you'd posted the video so thought I was replying to you:
That brings back some very nice memories from GT4 - thanks. I'd forgotten just how much fun this track is.
Hopefully you'll be adding the reverse route too?
One of the biggest challenges you might face is finding textures of sufficient resolution for the mountains, especially those close to the track.
The tarmac is perhaps a little too light compared to this GT4 video, and glare when driving into the sun maybe makes it turn too light a grey?

Keep up the good work, I'll be following development closely.

Many thanks for the feedback, it's so appreciated!
About you question: yes, I will be adding the reverse route too.. and maybe even more :)
I could change a bit of the current textures for the 2004 version, like you said for the tarma.
I'll see if I can do something better, but my focus will probably be on the 2022 version.
I'll keep you updated!
I want to drive this track, but when I try to load it, I get an error message:
st_capitan: TRACK NOT FOUND
Can someone help me, please?
Hi and sorry for the late reply, can you give me some more informations?
Are you using CM and CSP? Did you install manually of dragged the zip to CM?
In case you done it manually, try to install the track by dragging the zip to the CM window.
Thanks!

@steel89ita any chance you can make this track compatible with CSP 0.1.60? My system always crashes whenever I use any CSP newer than this so I can't drive the track :( There are lots of new tracks that look just as good and still compatible with older CSP. The newer CSPs are all very buggy (it even says so on the acstuff.ru site), I wish modders would take this into consideration when making new cars/tracks.

Last edited:
@steel89ita any chance you can make this track compatible with CSP 0.1.60? My system always crashes whenever I use any CSP newer than this so I can't drive the track :( There are lots of new tracks that look just as good and still compatible with older CSP. The newer CSPs are all very buggy (it even says so on the acstuff.ru site), I wish modders would take this into consideration when making new cars/tracks.
I'll take a look at it, we should find a way to make it work 👍😀

Back