• Thread starter Pako
  • 34 comments

Pako

Staff Emeritus
United States
NW Montana
GTP-Pako
GTP Pako
Well it's been five days since it's release, I managed to log in about 8 hours into this game.

It's HUGE!!! The world apears to be vast with a variety of plants, animals, monsters, and NPC's. The skills system is exp. point bases, and the actual game play reminds me of Ultima IX in many ways.

I would have to say that this is the type of RPG that you'll either Like or Hate, with little room for anything inbetween.

There are some graphical surprises as well. Pixel Shading is used for the water effects, and there are some advanced T&L that you'll notice from time to time.

I would recommend it....also, they're also porting it to the XBox :P, yuk....

:cheers:

is there an online charge? i know alot of online rpg things make you pay so much a month or something to log on...i hate that cause i got no money:(

ya, everywheres turning into stupid money grubbers. really sucks, but o well, what can ya do. All i know is that im not paying for anything:)

Well, all of the sites are going to slowly start charging (BTW IGN was first and your booing Gamespot?) I'm actually going to sign up for Gamespot for the year, I think it's more than worth the 19.99 :D (Especially since they'll offer game patches)

I also finally got a chance to play Morrowind to some length and like the game, but it's so open ended. I tend to like a game that leads you a little more through the first few hours, and then begins to give you some lattitude and eventually gives you total freedom.
At first I didn't like the controls, but after playing with it for some time, I'm beginning to enjoy how to Hack, slash, bash, jab and poke depending on what direction you hold as you attack. I do wish it was a little tighter though....
The graphics are mostly good, but the water effect is a little better than everything else and ends up looking out of place... (Plus the swamps lack the same effect, detracting from the experience.) I'd also have like better textures on the characters... especially yours. (not that it's bad, it's just not as good as other games of late)
I don't know whether I'll stick with it yet, I'll have to do a few quests before I can tell on that, but it seems like a more than solid game to play. (And the graphic engine runs much better than U9's ever did.)

Paying for information? Information is expensive..., there will be more resources available on the net.... I too find it a shame that they're gonna start charging. An alternative would have been to simply increase their advertising fees... I guess you gotta eat!

Tom,

You mentioned U9.... Back in the day, I was running a Voodoo 5500 for a short while, and it ran better on it, then this game runs on my Radeon 8500....

*Start Bashing . . . . . .NOW* ;)

Speaking of graphics... I totally agree with you. I honestly don't think this will be one of those games that you play for graphical quality (from what I've seen). I might enjoy the graphics better if my little 8500/64 could run the game smoother, but until it does....my amusement has to be satisfied by the story and raw RPG value of the game.

Originally posted by Pako
Paying for information? Information is expensive..., there will be more resources available on the net.... I too find it a shame that they're gonna start charging. An alternative would have been to simply increase their advertising fees... I guess you gotta eat!

Tom,

You mentioned U9.... Back in the day, I was running a Voodoo 5500 for a short while, and it ran better on it, then this game runs on my Radeon 8500....

*Start Bashing . . . . . .NOW* ;)

Speaking of graphics... I totally agree with you. I honestly don't think this will be one of those games that you play for graphical quality (from what I've seen). I might enjoy the graphics better if my little 8500/64 could run the game smoother, but until it does....my amusement has to be satisfied by the story and raw RPG value of the game.

I think that game was made to run under glide (Voodoo) though. I had a Voodoo3 3500 when I played it, and mistakenly thought buying a Nvidia Geforce1 DDR would vastly improve the framerate and resolution. I couldn't have been more wrong. The game looked worse, and ran slower.

I found a few things on another site to help improve Morrowind's play...

Eidted the following line in your Morrowind.INI

[LightAttenuation]
UseConstant=0
ConstantValue=0.0
;
UseLinear=0
LinearMethod=1
LinearValue=3.0
LinearRadiusMult=1.0
;
UseQuadratic=1
QuadraticMethod=2
QuadraticValue=16.0
QuadraticRadiusMult=4.0
;
OutQuadInLin=0

SET YOUR LINES EXACTLY AS ABOVE.

There is also a Safedisc thingy that you can do to keep it from skipping every few seconds...
http://www.forumplanet.com/rpgplanet/morrowind/topic.asp?fid=3367&tid=632324

Btw... How did you like that Voodoo 5500? I have a friend that had one, but ran into some serious problems while trying to overclock it. :D

Wow, thanks for that tweeking information... :thumbsup:

As far as Glide was concerned, yes...that's the driver I used for best performance..., running it with my 5500 that had 32mb's of ddr, which back in the day was huge.. :)

I did like it for the little bit I had it. :( It's time in my computer also had a mishap which ended it's career in my box early. I'd rather not talk about it...

So how about that new nVidia card that's commin' out in august?

Mmmm...Morrowind.

I've also got about 8 hours into the game, and I'm totally in love.

I found out just now that the MX series of GeForce cards don't support the pixel shading, so I get the boring water. Oh well, it's still one of the best looking games I've played yet!

Originally posted by AltF8
Mmmm...Morrowind.

I've also got about 8 hours into the game, and I'm totally in love.

I found out just now that the MX series of GeForce cards don't support the pixel shading, so I get the boring water. Oh well, it's still one of the best looking games I've played yet!

I posted this pic in the Video Card thread a minute ago, but it's also appropriate here. This is what the water would look like.:)

attachment.php

Here's AIT's attempt at pixel shading....

Attachments

• mwshot1.jpg
    mwshot1.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 49
Well...I bit the bullet and just ordered myself a GeForce4 Ti4600 128MB DDR. We'll see how much of a difference it makes. ;)

I wish i could order for a GeForce 4 but the only money I got left I gotta spend on getting a new motherboard and processor. :mad: SOMEONE BUY ME A GEFORCE4 PLEASE? :(

Originally posted by AltF8
Well...I bit the bullet and just ordered myself a GeForce4 Ti4600 128MB DDR. We'll see how much of a difference it makes. ;)

Congrats :D You'll love it, it's got tons of power :)

Originally posted by Tom McDonnell

I posted this pic in the Video Card thread a minute ago, but it's also appropriate here. This is what the water would look like.:)

attachment.php

Can I get anything remotely close to that with the card I got?

Originally posted by viper_maniac

Can I get anything remotely close to that with the card I got?

Not the water effect, but everything else should look the exact same. The following photo show what yours will look like (Notice the only difference is in the water.)

Attachments

• screenshot 0.jpg
    screenshot 0.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 57
Originally posted by Tom McDonnell

Not the water effect, but everything else should look the exact same. The following phot show what yours will look like (Notice the only difference is in the water.)

True. Sorry, I assumed he was speaking only of the water. That's exactly what it looks like with my MX.

I'll post a few comparison shots after my switch. I'll save the game in a spot before and after the new card. That'll really show the difference. ;)

Well, the shots are 5.6 meg zipped and I haven't had time to turn them into JPEGs at home. I'll work on it tonight.

Needless to say...the Ti4600 is absolutely AMAZING.

I have a CD full of nVidia's tech demos...and every single one is phenomenal!

Okay, here's the before and after the install of the 4600.

Before:

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 32
This is to say nothing about the incredible movement and ripple effect of the pixel shaded water. I'll get some shots of that in action.

Back