- 13

- Tempe
- dlaurence01
There's another aspect to consider if looking at only emissions; a large scale power plant will be cleaner and more efficient at turning fossil fuels into usable energy (in this case, forward motion via electricity) than a series of small scale powerplants in each vehicle. In other words, for a given fleet of X vehicles, it is cleaner and more efficient to burn those fossil fuels in a powerplant to power a fleet of electric vehicles than to have engines burning those fossil fuels in each individual vehicle.
This is not to say, however, that there are not other factors affecting a choice between an electric vehicle and internal combustion, because a number of good points have been brought up previously. But in the case of China, and anywhere else with heavy traffic, electric vehicles would seem to make more sense, since they can "idle" without using energy, unlike the internal combustion engine.
In the end, however, I suspect that all these arguments are moot, since the biggest issue I see can't be solved by either electric or conventional cars. That issue is space, or more specifically, the space used by the infrastructure required to accomodate a vehicle for every person. Where I live (Phoenix, Arizona) this isn't an issue, but for Asia, Europe and the East Coast of the US, traffic is becoming a serious headache. The only solution I see is to improve and increase the amount of mass transit in use, which has the side benefit of leaving the streets a bit emptier for us car enthusiasts who prefer to drive anyway.
This is not to say, however, that there are not other factors affecting a choice between an electric vehicle and internal combustion, because a number of good points have been brought up previously. But in the case of China, and anywhere else with heavy traffic, electric vehicles would seem to make more sense, since they can "idle" without using energy, unlike the internal combustion engine.
In the end, however, I suspect that all these arguments are moot, since the biggest issue I see can't be solved by either electric or conventional cars. That issue is space, or more specifically, the space used by the infrastructure required to accomodate a vehicle for every person. Where I live (Phoenix, Arizona) this isn't an issue, but for Asia, Europe and the East Coast of the US, traffic is becoming a serious headache. The only solution I see is to improve and increase the amount of mass transit in use, which has the side benefit of leaving the streets a bit emptier for us car enthusiasts who prefer to drive anyway.