Elite: Dangerous

• Thread starter marky5244
  • 749 comments

marky5244

Premium
Mark8539/GTP_Mark8539
Mark8539
As a teenager in the mid 1980s I loved the space game Elite. In the 1990s there were a couple of sequels. Now, there is the third sequel coming, "Elite: Dangerous" developed by the company Frontier whose CEO David Braben is one of the two original authors.

It's currently in alpha phase with beta starting in a couple of weeks. Despite the sort of problems you'd expect in an alpha build the current build is awesome in my opinion. Access to the beta can be purchased through the link below.

So, are there any other Elite fans here at gtplanet?

----------

http://elite.frontier.co.uk/

"The spectacular new multi-player installment in the seminal open world series of space games that started with Elite.

Head for the stars, take a ship and trade, bounty-hunt, pirate or assassinate your way across the galaxy. It's an awe inspiring, beautiful, vast place; with 100 billion star systems, planets, moons and asteroid fields just waiting to be explored and exploited."

Yeah, it looks beyond amazing but £100 is a bit too steep for me right now. I really can't wait to get my hands on it, though. I never played Elite, but I was a huge, huge fan of Escape Velocity and the sequels. I think they were conceptually similar, at least as far as the trading aspect goes, but not quite the same since EV's universe wasn't procedural and it was top-down rather than 3D. I've been looking for a modern take on the formula for a while but - X3 aside - not much has come close. Evochron Mercenary was alright, Limit Theory looks like it'll be cool, then of course there's Star Citizen, but Elite Dangerous is probably the one I'm most excited for.

Yes. Looking forward to it and Star Citizen.

Have you heard of Space Engine marky5244? It's a procedural generated space simulator which plans in the future to add game mechanics probably like Elite Dangerous will have. You can download right now and explore the universe.
http://en.spaceengine.org/

I'll be getting the Oculus Rift so it should be incredible. Right now Space Engine and Elite are what I'm most excited for.

Yes. Looking forward to it and Star Citizen.

Have you heard of Space Engine marky5244? It's a procedural generated space simulator which plans in the future to add game mechanics probably like Elite Dangerous will have. You can download right now and explore the universe.
http://en.spaceengine.org/

I'll be getting the Oculus Rift so it should be incredible. Right now Space Engine and Elite are what I'm most excited for.

No, I haven't heard of Space Engine. To be honest I only play racing games. Or rather, I did only play racing games until I loaded up the alpha version of Elite: Dangerous. Now its racing games plus Elite: Dangerous. :-)

I have an Oculus Rift DK1. It's great with Elite: Dangerous, the only issue being that it can be difficult to read the text that is needed to select things within your cockpit. The upcoming DK2 should resolve that problem.

Dangerous is on my radar too, excited for this. Would be nice if it came with another novella a la Elite, The Dark Wheel was pretty good and really set the scene, though it's a loooong time since I read it. Easily available online if you dig around.

Not played a game of this genre since Colony Wars, funny how such an ancient game is bringing me back :)

Dangerous is on my radar too, excited for this. Would be nice if it came with another novella a la Elite, The Dark Wheel was pretty good and really set the scene, though it's a loooong time since I read it. Easily available online if you dig around.

One of the kickstarter rewards was an official sequel to “The Dark Wheel” novel so I would guess that it will also come with a purchase of the final game.

I played Elite a lot in the '80s on my BBC model B..... I even gained Elite status, in the days before a wife and kids,. I will certainly consider getting this new game if it lives up to its potential.

You might be interested in the Java Script emulator of a BBC micro running Elite: http://bbc.godbolt.org/?disc=elite.ssd&autoboot

There are many other games there too.

So I bought Elite: Dangerous today since the release of the standard beta saw the price drop from £100 to £50. I've not played a huge amount yet but what I have played is very well made and it's all extremely promising, I can't wait to get back to it!

I love Braben's enthusiasm for this, part of me wants it to be a success just for him. He's spoken more than once about future updates including the ability to explore the inside of the ships, and even land on planets and explore them. The idea seems to be for it to be infinitely expandable, like the universe itself I guess :)

Full retail release is this December 16th
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-11-07-elite-dangerous-release-date-announced

Elite: Dangerous - Mercenary Edition
Quick Overview
Pre-order now to guarantee your Mercenary Edition featuring exclusive digital content

Be the first to get your hands on the Elite: Dangerous Mercenary Edition. Loaded with digital extras this pack is only available to customers who pre-order Elite: Dangerous before release date.

Full list of contents:
• A digital download Elite: Dangerous
• Your very own Eagle fighter ship docked in a secondary location in-game
• Exclusive pack of ship paint jobs
• A ‘day one’ ship decal
• A digital players guide
• A digital concept art book
• Plus loads more digital goodies to be announced over the coming weeks.

Anyone who has already pre-ordered the final release version of Elite: Dangerous will be eligible to receive the mercenary edition extras when the game is released.

Price £35

I was wondering if this has a topic here. :) I've been in from Beta 1, and it has potential to be an epic game indeed. It wont however, be a game for someone who likes to achieve most things in there quickly. It will take serious time to progress for sure. :P

Also the gamma / release candidate for beta players will be out on Nov 22. Which will be basically very close to the release version.

The only thing I 'm not liking is you can't land on planets yet. they said its coming.

In Space Engine I'm used to landing and flying low, looking for mountains and other types of land. These are both procedurally generated and kind of expected to have at least some basic land view. I'm not talking about an FPS module or anything like that. I guess you'll need to play Space Engine to see.

15090361584_7e2338bf82_h.jpg

15708397091_de64cdfd87_h.jpg

Higher up

In Space Engine, there's no break or separate landing, the closer you get the more detail you see until you land.

I missed Elite but enjoyed Frontier in the 90's.

I just hope it is hard enough to keep the idiots away (The type that dump cargo outside a space station or spoil the game for others.)

Should be great though, until the Thargoid turn up.

News is online is needed for Elite Dangerous

As of today, offline play mode has been scrapped and Elite: Dangerous will require a constant connection to a server in order to function. News of this change came via issue 49 of the Elite: Dangerous Newsletter. In the development section the team explains that the world is both dynamic and “constantly reacting to what you and every other player is doing,” and that has become “fundamental to the whole process.” With that in mind, the offline mode has been removed because it just doesn’t work with the direction the game has taken.

There has been a lot fury and people asking for refunds
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...und-policy-following-no-offline-mode-backlash

I'm not a backer, I was going to get the game after release but always online is a turn off. I would like to explore like I do in Space Engine. Don't want to lose access when my connection is down or their servers.

I'm surprised no one has been talking about this since it released two days ago... I picked it up today for the first time in about two or three weeks, I sold my free Eagle and bought a Hauler with the proceeds, since then I've been doing some missions and I've upgraded all of my systems to class D (and doubled my jump range!), swapped my discovery scanner for a fuel scoop and upgraded the cargo racks to 8-slot versions. So that's nice. I think now I'll just stick with the Hauler, do cargo missions while I catalogue (i.e. screenshot) the markets of the stations I dock at to see if I can find a good trade route, hopefully it won't be too long before they make it easier to meet up with friends and fly together.

Had a look at the game and it seemed kinda... Empty, for lack of a better word. Dunno, I was super hyped for some deep space exploration and stuff. Looking at the game now, I can't really think of much I'd like to do if I was actually playing.

Might still keep an eye on ED, though.

I've been watching some youtube vids of gameplay, and while I'm impressed with the technical side of things, the game play looks a little repetitive too me. Having said that, I was a huge fan of the original Elite and that had the same problem so I may get this at some stage.

On the radar.

While i have the same "fears" as the others, space should feel empty and not like walmarkt on a black friday

I'm having fun just running freight jobs, it scratches much the same itch as Euro Truck Sim 2 except you've got 6 degrees of freedom and the threat of being interdicted. There are also factions to ally yourself with but so far I've tried to avoid that, I have however become friendly with a government because I keep getting jobs to help them out. I also flew 75 lightyears to meet up with a friend, that seemed kind of far...

Then I looked at the galaxy map. Before I got bored of trying to find the edge the furthest systems on a horizontal plane from where I was were 50,000 lightyears away (for reference my Hauler does about 16 in a single jump, can be upgraded to a shade under 30), and I'm roughly on the galactic horizon so it extends probably about 50,000 lightyears 'up' and 'down' too. So now I kind of want to go exploring! I've got a hair under 200k credits now, I had maybe 30k when I started today but I was playing for a long, long time. Hopefully it won't be too long before I can buy a Type 6.

I can see myself spending a fair amount of time in this game, though I can see why other people might feel it's lacking in variety, but I grew up playing Escape Velocity and this is basically Escape Velocity 3D Online.

96231A63DA409B932BCB035F03B41166F8948FCB

For a free starter ship it's not that bad I'd say. Especially with some upgrades. :)

Been there since beta1, but sort of purposefully spent quite a little time with gamma. Time to get more into it again soon. :D

I loved Elite and Frontier.

My current laptop PC won't be running Project Cars anytime but wondering if I might just be able to squeeze this onto it.

What sort of performance have you all been getting and with what sort of PC spec?

@JohnScoonsBeard it won't help you much, but I get a solid 60fps at 1080p out of my 3.3GHz i5 2500K and factory OC GTX 680... Sadly it drops to 20fps when I try to use all three of my monitors so I may try a GTX 970 out when I can afford one.

I've found an industrial station with high demand for every metal with a few refinery systems nearby... Sadly the only good metals are all in very low supply but I've swapped my shield generator for another 16T cargo rack (for a total of 60T now), that nets me about 57K for a single trade run of gold or beryllium so I should have my first million by the time I give up for tonight. Let's just hope I don't get interdicted by anything as fast as me!

Last edited:
@JohnScoonsBeard it won't help you much, but I get a solid 60fps at 1080p out of my 3.3GHz i5 2500K and factory OC GTX 680... Sadly it drops to 20fps when I try to use all three of my monitors so I may try a GTX 970 out when I can afford one.

I seem to remember my ZX Spectrum giving me considerably less that 20fps on the original. I suspect I'm going to have to wait until a better PC is obtained.

My old Amiga used to run fine at 20fps. I'm in the 'new PC required' boat too, though I had planned on upgrading next year anyway.

The more YouTube vids I watch of Elite:D, the more I think this will be a must have for me.

Probably getting a gaming PC for this and PCars. Will either get one soon and try to get Win7 or wait for Win10. Would love to have both on PS4, Linux or Mac but looks like I'll have to resort to a purchase from the Redmond Devil.

Got this last night and it's actually more polished than I expected tbh. I was expecting bugs with being quite early but so far a good experience. Does anybody know of a flight stick that works with both PS4 and PC? In case something comes along on PS4 what would benefit from it (No Man's Sky maybe?)

Back