EloMusic 

  • Thread starter Thread starter Danoff
  • 14 comments
  • 708 views

Danoff

Premium
Messages
34,431
United States
Mile High City
Anyone here every heard of or listened to the Electric Light Orchestra? This band has got to be one of the most underrated bands out there.
 
Heh, heh. Heh. You are probably just too young to have been around when ELO was big the first time.

They're not bad. The string orchestra bit kind of got played out in the '70s, though, and there was no room for them in the '80s.

Jeff Lynne was a pretty good composer, however, and a better producer. He did a lot of studio work in the '80s before helping form The Travelling Wilburys.
 
Well I never hear them on the radio. I'd put them up there with the Bee Gees but I feel like I hear them much more often.

I'm glad to hear that ELO was bigtime at one point because I think they've got quite a bit of talent.

You're right, though, Duke, they were out of style before I was born.
 
I like them. "Mr. Blue Skies" and "Don't Bring Me Down" are awesome songs. My favorite is "Turning To Stone" though. Yeah, I would say they are very underarted.
 
I like them. "Mr. Blue Skies" and "Don't Bring Me Down" are awesome songs. My favorite is "Turning To Stone" though. Yeah, I would say they are very underarted.

Never heard "Mr. Blue Skies" or "Turning to Stone". I'll have to check those out.

When I thought to make this thread I was digging on "The Fall" from the Xanadu soundtrack. Also from that soundtrack I've always been impressed with "Dancin' " which has them and Olivia Newton John.

... come to think of it... "Alive" was good on that soundtrack as well. Parts of the theme on that one was blended into "The Fall".

Anyway "Don't Bring Me Down" is the only one I've ever heard in the mainstream.


Edit: Actually it looks like Dancin' was with Oliva and The Tubes, whoever they are. It looks like ELO wrote that song but didn't play it.
 
danoff you must turn on your radio, find a "classic rock" station, and request some ELO.
Turn to stone
Mr. Blue Skies
Don't bring me down
Ma-Ma Belle
All good stuff for the "younger generation" to learn about.
You can liken ELO to REO Speedwagon, or Air Supply w/o the sappiness.
 
My dad must have owned upwards of 3 cassettes when I was growing up and would play them whenever we had a long car ride. ELO's greatest hits was by far his favorite and I grew to hate that goddamned tape. I think I even hid it for a while just so he couldn't play it. Now that I look back on them, they aren't so bad though.

On the topic of classic rock, "Closer to Home/I'm your Captain" by Grand Funk Railroad is an awesome song.
 
I checked out Mr. Blue Skies and Turn to Stone last night. Pretty good tunes. I have yet to hear an ELO tune that isn't good (though I'm sure they exist).

Edit: For those of you who are ELO fans, you should check out the following tunes (which I'm not sure ever made it big).

Alive
The Fall
All Over the World
Don't Walk Away

All of which are good (some better than others). These are what got me to recognize this band (I'm leaving out Don't Bring me Down because everyone has heard that one). Now I'm realizing that they've made quite a bit more music than I had originally thought.
 
I like a few of their hits too. For some reason though, I have never paid much attention to the song titles. My parents have one of their CD's around somewhere - I should go dig it out.
 
Yep, I like them too. "Four Little Diamonds" is a great track.

Interestingly, I put that on a "various" compilation which we had in the car. My wife immediately exclaimed "this is sh**".

Two weeks later she had it on repeat...
 
That was both me and my wife with pink floyd.

I got dark side as a gift at one point and liked maybe one track (us and them). A few weeks later I had the album on repeat.

Funny how that happens.
 
Originally posted by danoff
That was both me and my wife with pink floyd.

I got dark side as a gift at one point and liked maybe one track (us and them). A few weeks later I had the album on repeat.

Funny how that happens.

some albums have to grow on you to trully apreciate what they are all about. and even more so when they come frm outrageos bands like pink floyd, where from time to time all you hear are sounds and noise. but you end up liking it and appreciating it, it's just that the music has to grow on you. the best thing you can do with a record is to give it many listens and have patience.

Cano

about ELO, yeah, they were a very good band, not much my style, but I can recognize good tunes. Don't let me down is awesome. and giles is right, four little diamonds is also very cool.
 
ELO are a truly fantastic band, they never made a poor song

But, the Vinyl Records are better than the CD's, as they contain instrumental classics like 'Fire on High' in full length
 
I can't stand ELO. I hate their sound, very pop oriented, especially with those goddamn string sections. The songs Don't Bring Me Down, and Evil Woman especially annoy me.

And if anyone is looking for a radio station that plays ELO, check out www.q107.com from Toronto. They play ELO on a regular basis, along with plenty of great classic rock.
 
Back