Engine break-in, wear, overhaul, and oil change

• Thread starter ZeroG
  • 45 comments
For reference use:

GT-R GT 500 Stealth
Engine Lv3 Limited to 490HP

Suzuka 1000km B-spec
Race before have done Overhaul and Body maintenance .

After race

427HP and Oil are grey

^ What? Just get oil change.. it will go back to normal :P you don't need overhaul that often.. didn't you read OP's post? :\

^ What? Just get oil change.. it will go back to normal :P you don't need overhaul that often.. didn't you read OP's post? :\

I don't care :)
Prepare a Perfect machine is Common scenes on race track.

My post is not pointing anyone wrong. Just for reference:)

"Engine" plateaus to (about) 15 000 km, then declines at a rate of (about) 0.000 02 %/km (1% per 50 000 km), perhaps indefinitely.

So our engines will effectively have no power by the time we reach 5,000,000km in mileage? Though I highly doubt anyone will ever reach anywhere near there. :crazy:

Sorry to be absent for a bit there. I know it's useful to have an active thread. I guess I didn't see that it had flipped to 2 pages when I checked it previously.

My kart increased from 33 to 34 hp somewhere around 600km. Also, chassis overhaul became possible, but oil and engine overhaul remained closed.

BTW, if someone feels like doing a graph, I'm sure that'd be helpful.

Corpsey: I'm not sure I can address the entirety of your first post, but I did also think that it might be useful to start a thread documenting power immediately after overhaul, particularly for the X1 (or one of the specific variants, perhaps). I can't address math, as re xSNAKEx's post, without specific numbers, but I can say that the current model would predict peak power of 1520 at 130 000 km, from a high of 1556. But, I have the suspicion that performance of the X1(s) may be different, particularly since that of the kart establishes the possibility for variation between types. However, I would still predict that from the standpoint of programming there will probably be a small number of types (e.g.: kart, street, race, open-wheel, X1(s)), and my observations did include race cars, so I think that street and race cars perform the same.

I couldn't quite make sense of your second post, but it seems that I could clarify the text to say "to no immediate benefit below 5 000 km."

sideshowfrost: my lounge racing has added mileage, so I guess that's yet another inconsistency to contend with. Unless, perhaps, you haven't been manually saving after a session (?).

TCSdisable: I'm sorry I can't illuminate on your case. You seem to report a loss of 13% over 1 000 km, but mention use of power limitation. I must guess that there's a settings discrepancy at play.

GMW: so it would seem. :crazy:

So that's first 5% from the oil added, and then 3% on top of that for break-in? Or is is 3% and then 5%? Or just 8%? Someone please clarify @.@

A question I asked on my help thread. So I thought Iød post it at it's source too. And also, does this % also apply to the torque, or only HP?

EDIT: Also, GMW, it flattens out at about 10% decrease or something, there's a thread on it somehwere.

I feel fairly confident about the accuracy of the outline at this point (except possibly for the X2010s):

Updates:
• Floor to "engine" decline: 5%, at 265 000 km
• Refinements to oil color change
• Identification of oil state in used cars
• Online dealership car behavior
• Formula GT looks to behave same
• Kart exception

I'd be interested to hear if this has ongoing value, or if a comparable analysis exists anywhere, including possibly in other languages.

I still keep this thread in my subscriptions, as an invaluable guide to the thing. I wonder why moderators stopped sticky threads since release. Some actual sticked are very little useful.

In response to the Kart being different in terms of oil (I haven't changed it in mine so cant be 100%) but are the Karts not 2 Stroke? hence the oil being added to the fuel and not into a sump? the Karts kick out a lot of smoke at low revs and I would expect that this is true to 2 stroke engines.

Great thread, not sure why it's not stickied. Is it still relevant for the current version?

I'm still in the familiarization stage of this sim and have all the all damage, engine and tire wear turned off in order to become consistent. Now I've read in other threads that the cars will still degrade over time (acquire mileage, etc.) and will require maintenance even with these features turned off? Is that still true?

Note: currently all my experience has been off-line.

I'm planning on turning these features on soon, so another newb question , does "damage" received from crashing effect car performance in other events, or is this reset after an event?

Thanks,

Crash racer here, I use walls. For example Nordschleife. 4-6 depending, at high speed , last being Karousell. New engine and chassis. By the time I get past Karousell the car is falling to pieces(actually falling apart by flugplatz). So one day I decide to stay on track till after Karousell and wow! As I am doing all the S’s after that I am stunned at the grip of the car. I go back and forth just to check and it was amazing.
When I restart race after wall crashing, the car is not as bad as if I had crashed but def not good. I can tell immediatelly at turn 2 that car is not as good as new.
I usually change engine and body restore after 2-3 races, thanks to money making tracks in seasonals.
With beat up car other tracks , grip continues to be lost till restore.

So, just to get this strait....

If you rebuild an engine before it goes over 5,000 km, Rebuild +5,000 km, etc... you can retain full power until the car reaches 15,000 km?

What about the chassis. Anyone have a thread that covers "Restore Chassis Rigidity?"

Back