Engine swap

• Thread starter Anthony VF
  • 44 comments
Canada
Canada
Hey guys been doing a ton of thinking lately in regards to doing an engine swap on my 2010 hyundai genesis coupe chassis I want to do an rb26 swap but I'm not sure what to expect or need to prepare for, for this swap I'm doing it regardless but I'm just curious to see what u all have to say

I just wanted to know how bug is the engine and just like what r some parts I'll need to buy to do this engine swap because I know this isn't a very common thing to do to a genisis so ya

Thanks to all that help enjoy your day

Hey guys been doing a ton of thinking lately in regards to doing an engine swap on my 2010 hyundai genesis coupe chassis I want to do an rb26 swap but I'm not sure what to expect or need to prepare for, for this swap I'm doing it regardless but I'm just curious to see what u all have to say

I just wanted to know how bug is the engine and just like what r some parts I'll need to buy to do this engine swap because I know this isn't a very common thing to do to a genisis so ya

Thanks to all that help enjoy your day
Well, I hope you're ready to get just about everything custom fabricated, and the cost associated with that. Is there a reason to do it, outside of just wanting to? It doesn't seem practical, nor feasible, for someone your age especially. I'd honestly recommend just keeping it how it is to be honest, as this sounds too much like a pipe dream.

Well, I hope you're ready to get just about everything custom fabricated, and the cost associated with that. Is there a reason to do it, outside of just wanting to? It doesn't seem practical, nor feasible, for someone your age especially. I'd honestly recommend just keeping it how it is to be honest, as this sounds too much like a pipe dream.

Well to be honest I live in Canada where you need a solid 4x4 especially the way its been lately where I am for sure and plus I always wanted to own a GTR so this is my next best thing plus I want a real motor that can hold some serious power when built right also what do mean my age you don't even know me

Excuse the last thing I said I got a little creeped out when u said that but lol now I see that it shows ur age durp no problems needed lool

Well to be honest I live in Canada where you need a solid 4x4 especially the way its been lately where I am for sure
Well then the better idea sounds like you should invest in that instead, to be honest.

plus I always wanted to own a GTR so this is my next best thing plus I want a real motor that can hold some serious power when built right
Most motors, if built right, can hold power. However, have you researched anything at all about this type of project? I'm not seeing it being easy one bit. I'm also betting it'll be a huge money pit as well with the amount of fabrication you'd need, not even counting the pricing of the actual engine. I'm sure you'd be looking at more than your car actually costs. I think the better option would be to put that money, if you have it, towards the engine you currently have. It'll be better spent, less headaches, and sounds actually achievable. If money is no object, then by all means, you do you.

So, if I'm understanding this correctly, you want to do a full GT-R drivetrain swap, AWD and all?

:lol:

Not happening, unless you have an absurd amount of patience and expendable income.

Well then the better idea sounds like you should invest in that instead, to be honest.

Most motors, if built right, can hold power. However, have you researched anything at all about this type of project? I'm not seeing it being easy one bit. I'm also betting it'll be a huge money pit as well with the amount of fabrication you'd need, not even counting the pricing of the actual engine. I'm sure you'd be looking at more than your car actually costs. I think the better option would be to put that money, if you have it, towards the engine you currently have. It'll be better spent, less headaches, and sounds actually achievable. If money is no object, then by all means, you do you.
Well see if be ok with an ej25 or a 4g63 to but I just want a nice body that also hold up to a 4x4 standard for this Canada weather u know and plus I want to do an engine swap on the genesis regardless because I'm not driving a red in the winter hell no but ya

Well see if be ok with an ej25 or a 4g63 to but I just want a nice body that also hold up to a 4x4 standard for this Canada weather u know and plus I want to do an engine swap on the genesis regardless because I'm not driving a red in the winter hell no but ya
So, if I'm understanding this correctly, you want to do a full GT-R drivetrain swap, AWD and all?

Not happening, unless you have an absurd amount of patience and expendable income.

Sorry I meant to say rwd not red lol **** this auto correct

Sorry I meant to say rwd not red lol **** this auto correct
Yes a full 4x4 swap and obviously I have the income if I want to do this I been in the car scene for about 10yrs now I just need some help on this swap as Ive never done one before if u actually can help me I'd be appreciative but if not we'll go crazy in the comments

Obviously I have the income if I want to do something like this why else would I be saying rb26 I know it's all gonna cost alot of money but I work for this plus I know tones of people who can help with parts I just need help with the actual swap that's all but if u wanna laugh at my idea that's fine go laugh at everyone doing ls swaps in rx7 and gt86 as well I could care less if u wanna help I'm all ears

Last edited by a moderator:
You're better off getting yourself an R32 GT-R at that point, or a GTS-4.
Yea I know but it's not the same joy as doin a swap especially one that requires alot of work I'm not lazy. I'll gladly put in the time thats no problem I just need to know where to start and somwhat finish because I know theres always problems that arise from these types of situations so ya

You're either seriously underestimating the costs and complexity of the swap you're describing, or you've acquired an unusually large sum of money for a 17 year old.

Also, read the damn AUP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not just buy the cars that come with that engine? It'll likely be cheaper than what you're trying to do.

Yes a full 4x4 swap and obviously I have the income if I want to do this I been in the car scene for about 10yrs now I just need some help on this swap as Ive never done one before if u actually can help me I'd be appreciative but if not we'll go crazy in the comments
So you've been in the car game since 7 years old? Even disregarding that, it's not coming across as someone who has knowledge, or any idea, how difficult a task this would be. With "10 years" under your belt, that should have been a bit more obvious. I'd recommend taking a step back and reconsidering this option.

Yea I know but it's not the same joy as doin a swap especially one that requires alot of work I'm not lazy. I'll gladly put in the time thats no problem I just need to know where to start and somwhat finish because I know theres always problems that arise from these types of situations so ya
Wait, what?

and plus I always wanted to own a GTR

Wouldn't getting those be the closest thing to what you want?

Why not just buy the cars that come with that engine? It'll likely be cheaper than what you're trying to do.

So you've been in the car game since 7 years old? Even disregarding that, it's not coming across as someone who has knowledge, or any idea, how difficult a task this would be. With "10 years" under your belt, that should have been a bit more obvious. I'd recommend taking a step back and reconsidering this option.
Yes 10 years of learning how to build and rebuild engines that were meant for there specific year make and model no special engines for **** also 10 of mechanical work not engineering and fabrication.. thanksy friend **** u to this is clearly a waste of time

So far, you seem to be dead-set on swapping an expensive, but mediocore engine and AWD system into a car that was never designed to fit such a drivetrain. I'm not against people who want to actually make these things happen, but you don't seem to have a plan for how to do so. Everyone here is simply trying to prevent you from making an incredibly expensive mistake.

Last edited:
Yes 10 years of learning how to build and rebuild engines that were meant for there specific year make and model no special engines for **** also 10 of mechanical work not engineering and fabrication
Regardless of your "field of experience", the idea you're putting forth should have been a bit more obvious to you about costs, fabrication, electrical, as well as actually sourcing the parts. With the information you're giving us, and the questions asked, I'm assuming you have little experience with cars in general, as it sounds like, in you're head, you're making it out to be easier than it actually sounds. This sounds a bit over your head, and I'd recommend against it.

thanksy friend **** u to this is clearly a waste of time
Glad we both agree on something.

I don't believe this has been asked yet, but, what exactly are you building this for? Because if it is just because you've always wanted to own a GT-R, then you're making a really grave mistake both logically and financially because you might as well get an R32, seriously.

He's already posted it. He doesn't want to drive a rwd vehicle during the winter.
flat,800x800,075,f.u1.jpg

If it's just that... Can't you just get something like a Subaru?

flat,800x800,075,f.u1.jpg

If it's just that... Can't you just get something like a Subaru?
No, it has to be a really expensive and pointless swap for a simple problem because I'm 17 and I make more money than I make sense of cars and I'm also a master mechanic who thinks sensible choices are too lazy and easy.

Subaru's actually fit the "I wanna work on my car" criteria. Everytime you need to replace something is practically an engine swap. 💡

I've done an engine swap into a car with a purpose built kit that allows the swap to be "easy". It was also a similar engine, just with more displacement. I also had very detailed instructions, with well-documented pictures and a buddy who'd done the same swap before. Guess what? It wasn't easy or cheap. If the car hadn't had a blown motor from the get-go, I probably would've never attempted it either.

It's almost always better, at least with modern cars, to just buy something with the engine you want in it. Go back 30 years though and it's another story.

Also, you don't need 4WD in Canada unless you live in the middle of nowhere. Good winter tires and some common sense behind the wheel will do you just fine. I lived in Michigan for 28 years and we got a ton of snow and I only needed a truck when I moved to the boondocks which didn't have county road maintenance. Even then, I probably could've made it with my first Volvo.

Parts that will need to be custom
-Downpipe
-Exhaust System
-Chassis Mounts
-Wiring Harness
-Drive Shaft
-Oil Pan
-Intercooler

Motor is pretty long but I think the gensis engine bay is big? I dont know.
-You will have to obviously replace everything on the motor if your importing it
-Parts are pretty expensive (but much cheaper than the JZ)
-Motor gets really hot so I would suggest good fans and ducting

I don't know what it will take for it to be AWD.

All I can think of but hope that helps.

Parts that will need to be custom
-Downpipe
-Exhaust System
-Chassis Mounts
-Wiring Harness
-Drive Shaft
-Oil Pan
-Intercooler

Motor is pretty long but I think the gensis engine bay is big? I dont know.
-You will have to obviously replace everything on the motor if your importing it
-Parts are pretty expensive (but much cheaper than the JZ)
-Motor gets really hot so I would suggest good fans and ducting

I don't know what it will take for it to be AWD.

All I can think of but hope that helps.

More than that really. In simple terms the entire damn car will need to be reworked. So why even conduct this Frankenstein is what I'd ask other than "cause its kool bruh"?

JZ like 2JZ and such? I always heard the opposite where the RB26 is far more expensive.

That's because they are, you can actually find 2jz turbo and non turbo in North America. Good luck trying to do that with the Skylines that wont make it an import from Japan. Also some people even go the 1jz route as well because that is even cheaper.

Back