Engine Swaps That Don't Make Sense

• Thread starter TT92
  • 54 comments
Most seem pretty based in reality to me, at least compared to almost every car having an LS3+Viper V10 swap option in Forza Horizon.

The one that made me scratch my head was the Audi V8 engine into the SW20, but apparently that's been done :boggled:

Last edited:
I've seen a 74 MG Midget with a 327 4 barrel/ 5 speed Doug Nash trans. All stuffed underneath stock hood, did have custom header ran to sidepipes. Guy said he got about 27-30 mpg on highway,so almost anything is possible!

I am surprised this has not already been talked about about so I thought I would start.

It is something that has been troubling me as someone that has spent a long time in the automotive industry and has worked on a lot of these cars for real.

First up here is a snippet from the official list:

Toyota
  • 2JZ-GTE-Supra (Toyota Supra '97)
    • Nissan Silvia S15 Spec R '02 (!)
    • Subaru BRZ S '21
    • Toyota GR86 RZ '21
    • Toyota GR Yaris '20
Nissan Silva, not an issue so jump down to the Yaris. I want to start off by saying categorically "It don't Fit!" You can't take out a small inline 3 cylinder engine and bolt in an inline 6cylinder of over twice the length. The engine also adds 200kg in weight. So regardless of other dimensions there will be an extra 3 cylinders rubbing against a wheel and coming out the through the RHS guard. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyot...RIS_RZ"High_performance"_(3BA-GXPA16)_(8).jpg Just look at the pic and imagine the engine twice as long?

Next GR86/BRZ. Here is also a real good one as they have a 4 cylinder boxer engine fitted as OE so it is only 2 cylinders long so putting the 2JZ in it now extends 4 cylinders further forward totally screwing weight distribution. Not to mention it is now taller and should be higher than the bonnet. Maybe extend the engine rewards and incorporating a power bulge in the bonnet might (???) fit but I see no evidence that this is what happens in the game.

A better (doable) conversion would be 13B rotary for the Yaris and perhaps a 26B for the others ;-) Or use Porsche 6 cylinder boxer engines or even more radical Subaru actually made one themselves https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_six-cylinder_engines

Honda
  • K20C1-Civic-'20 (Honda Civic Type R '20)
    • Honda Civic (EK) Type R '98
    • Honda Integra (DC2) Type R '98
    • Mini Cooper S '65

First two no issues at all and is a great idea. Now the Mini on the other hand!

This BMC engine was designed with an integral gearbox that formed the sump and the drive was through drop down reduction gears built into the block behind the clutch. The engine bay is as wide (only just) as the motor so a Honda engine that has the gearbox mounted to one side will not fit. Presumably the gurus at PD envisioned a specially made underslung gear box for the Civic engine. Doable BUT why would you? And even then, without actually measuring the difference in overall length I am not sure the K20C1 would still fit. There really is not a lot of room inside a Mini engine bay and I still have the scars to prove it ;-)

A lot of the other swaps seem quite reasonable. Not sure about the GTR

And before anyone says "Don't be concerned, it's only a game." I have thought about this already and decided with my trusty Light Sabre I can make anything fit :-)) And it's not a joke, back in the early days a Gas Axe (acetylene cutting torch) was used regularly to make things fit :-)

And I am not sure about this one either.

VR38DETT-GT-R-Nismo (Nissan GT-R NISMO '17)
  • Lancia Delta HF Integrale '91 (!!

What do you think?

I am surprised this has not already been talked about about so I thought I would start.

It is something that has been troubling me as someone that has spent a long time in the automotive industry and has worked on a lot of these cars for real.

Toyota
    • Subaru BRZ S '21
    • Toyota GR86 RZ '21
    • Toyota GR Yaris '20
Nissan Silva, not an issue so jump down to the Yaris. I want to start off by saying categorically "It don't Fit!" You can't take out a small inline 3 cylinder engine and bolt in an inline 6cylinder of over twice the length. The engine also adds 200kg in weight. So regardless of other dimensions there will be an extra 3 cylinders rubbing against a wheel and coming out the through the RHS guard. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_GR_Yaris#/media/File:Toyota_GR_YARIS_RZ"High_performance"(3BA-GXPA16)(8).jpg Just look at the pic and imagine the engine twice as long?

Next GR86/BRZ. Here is also a real good one as they have a 4 cylinder boxer engine fitted as OE so it is only 2 cylinders long so putting the 2JZ in it now extends 4 cylinders further forward totally screwing weight distribution. Not to mention it is now taller and should be higher than the bonnet. Maybe extend the engine rewards and incorporating a power bulge in the bonnet might (???) fit but I see no evidence that this is what happens in the game.

A better (doable) conversion would be 13B rotary for the Yaris and perhaps a 26B for the others ;-) Or use Porsche 6 cylinder boxer engines or even more radical Subaru actually made one themselves https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_six-cylinder_engines

Honda
    • Mini Cooper S '65

This BMC engine was designed with an integral gearbox that formed the sump and the drive was through drop down reduction gears built into the block behind the clutch. The engine bay is as wide (only just) as the motor so a Honda engine that has the gearbox mounted to one side will not fit. Presumably the gurus at PD envisioned a specially made underslung gear box for the Civic engine. Doable BUT why would you? And even then, without actually measuring the difference in overall length I am not sure the K20C1 would still fit. There really is not a lot of room inside a Mini engine bay and I still have the scars to prove it ;-)

And before anyone says "Don't be concerned, it's only a game." I have thought about this already and decided with my trusty Light Sabre I can make anything fit :-)) And it's not a joke, back in the early days a Gas Axe (acetylene cutting torch) was used regularly to make things fit :-)

What do you think?
Also why not this and the r34 and maybe the Lancia is pos

Toyota
    • Subaru BRZ S '21
    • Toyota GR86 RZ '21
    • Toyota GR Yaris '20
Nissan Silva, not an issue so jump down to the Yaris. I want to start off by saying categorically "It don't Fit!" You can't take out a small inline 3 cylinder engine and bolt in an inline 6cylinder of over twice the length. The engine also adds 200kg in weight. So regardless of other dimensions there will be an extra 3 cylinders rubbing against a wheel and coming out the through the RHS guard. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_GR_Yaris#/media/File:Toyota_GR_YARIS_RZ"High_performance"(3BA-GXPA16)(8).jpg Just look at the pic and imagine the engine twice as long?

Honda
    • Mini Cooper S '65

What do you think?
I think the proper solution would be for the engines that don’t “fit” in the small hatchbacks would be to make them MR-layout and have the motor replace the back seats, similar to the Renault Clio V6.

So, I think the cappuccino / rx7 engine swap is totally bonkers! It's bloody quick though. A quick mess about with the settings produced 184 mph. I used it to beat the Tokyo expressway race. First 4 laps on inters, swap to rh, then fuel and another set of rh for the final 4. I'll have another mess with the settings when I next get home.

Ps. Anti Roll of 10 f and r, or it will probably fall over.

In revisiting this thread, there's probably consensus that 1.40's Chiron swaps made no sense to any of the target vehicles.

I also thought the VR38 engine swap to the S15 TC makes no sense since it kills the fuel economy and BoP eligibility.

Last edited:
I forgot this thread existed, but:
So when I can put the Coyote engine in the Mach 1 why can't I put it in the De Tomaso Pantera? Same 351C engine.
Because the game won’t allow it.
The game won't allow it yet.
better-mib.gif

Aside from some VGT engines, all the swaps you saw in the game were done IRL.
The only VGT swap is the Suzuki VGT Gr.3, essentially two Hayabusa engines bolted to make a V8. For the BRZ application in particular, it seems to be based on this (that used a Kawasaki Ninja base engine):

Whilst I do agree some swaps are unreal... GT is as much about fun as it is about "realism" so I don't really mind that but this however below I do mind for a "sim":

while the engines increase mass, they oddly don't disturb the weight distribution of the car. Dropping a 4 Rotor into an FD RX-7 increases its mass but preserves its 50:50 weight distribution. Wish they'd take these things into account.
Doesn't seem very realistic a game does it?

I have swapped quite a few engines but always reverted back to the original. The only one I’ve stuck with is the Skyline Hard Top.

Toyota
    • Subaru BRZ S '21
    • Toyota GR86 RZ '21
    • Toyota GR Yaris '20
Nissan Silva, not an issue so jump down to the Yaris. I want to start off by saying categorically "It don't Fit!" You can't take out a small inline 3 cylinder engine and bolt in an inline 6cylinder of over twice the length. The engine also adds 200kg in weight. So regardless of other dimensions there will be an extra 3 cylinders rubbing against a wheel and coming out the through the RHS guard. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyot...RIS_RZ"High_performance"_(3BA-GXPA16)_(8).jpg Just look at the pic and imagine the engine twice as long?

Honda
    • Mini Cooper S '65

What do you think?
These are engine swops that have already been done in real life so the Creators of GT(Polyphony) thought would be a great homage to recreate in the game.

I dont have a photo (some of my Aussie friends might know about it) but I believe I seen on social media that there was a Suzuki Swift with an LS conversion at Summernats in Canberra a couple weeks back.

*Edit added magazine story link and a video.

Last edited:

This swap is spot on, it gives the Lancia Delta a good boost in speed but not overpowering...

What's sad is when you had done an engine swap long ago, and then grab that car thinking a good car for a race and you FORGOT you knackered the car with a swap....

Last edited:
I dont have a photo (some of my Aussie friends might know about it) but I believe I seen on social media that there was a Suzuki Swift with an LS conversion at Summernats in Canberra a couple weeks back.
No matter the engine, Suzuki Swift is not a pleasure to look at, the car just doesnt make any sense.

Toyota
    • Subaru BRZ S '21
    • Toyota GR86 RZ '21
    • Toyota GR Yaris '20

Honda
    • Mini Cooper S '65

What do you think?
Agree with most but I have seen a honda civic motor in an original mini for real, it's more common than you think and it does fit along with the gearbox!

I wonder if they forgot the 5.0 and 5.2 modular engines will fit the Raptor? That should result in saved weight and better acceleration since we wouldn't be running the power steering pump and the block is web-reinforced.
Someone mentioned this engine going into a smaller car earlier. The biggest issue I see is the physical size...it's huge! Mainly it's fairly wide, but there's enough room to install a supercharger without modding the hood.

Toyota
    • Subaru BRZ S '21
    • Toyota GR86 RZ '21
    • Toyota GR Yaris '20

Honda
    • Mini Cooper S '65

What do you think?
The k20 in a mini is done. In real life check mighty car mods. On YouTube.

Back