Engines.....

Thanks for the info JRM ,I,d forgotten some of it .  To add ,just a note , The reason for adding more extra valves is so the engine can take in more air and exit the spent air more quickly. the more volume of air and fuel the engine can draw in, and quicker it can expell it , the faster it will rev smoothly at full throttle ,and not hiccup lol upon off-throttle . More air & fuel = more hp

Originally posted by True Drifta
I just saw a picture of the Mclaren F1 GTR V12 engine, I must sy, that's a motor! Buit only 600ps? I'm suprised, I'd think around 900ps with an engine that big. My god!
only 600 hp? ...that's alot considering the car's weight ......the car is a rocket (i've seen the video where it hits 391 kph.......it develops over 100hp/litre (normally aspirated) .......the S2000 is the highest NA car at 120hp/litre ........and the BMW engine in the McLaren is only 0.3 litres larger in displacement than a vette's 5.7 and the horsepower figures aren't even comparable .........and 900 hp? .....i don't think so ......that's 150 hp/litre .......it's quite possible b/c F1 cars get around 285 hp/litre (NA) .......but reliability is an issue when you drive this car around town and don't plan on rebuilding your engine every week ......no engine manufacturer would build such an engine at this point of time .....you shouldn't be surprised and horsepower isn't everything

a question for you Alt ..... don't DOHC engines that have a V-configuration have 4 cams (2 on each side) ? .....i was just wondering

Originally posted by Schumy
a question for you Alt ..... don't DOHC engines that have a V-configuration have 4 cams (2 on each side) ? .....i was just wondering

Yes. DOHC V6s, V8s, V10s, V12s, V16s, etc. have 4 cams.

So do DOHC Boxer engines. (Like in my WRX.)

Originally posted by AltF8

Yes. DOHC V6s, V8s, V10s, V12s, V16s, etc. have 4 cams.

So do DOHC Boxer engines. (Like in my WRX.)
that's what i thought .....so SOHC engines would have 2 cams if they had the V-configuration .......thanks for the clarification .......those boxer engines are interesting though (horizontally opposed is another name which you probably already knew) Porsche's 6 cylinders run these engines as well ...... i prefer boxer and in-lines over V's anyways

Originally posted by Schumy
that's what i thought .....so SOHC engines would have 2 cams if they had the V-configuration .......thanks for the clarification .......those boxer engines are interesting though (horizontally opposed is another name which you probably already knew) Porsche's 6 cylinders run these engines as well ...... i prefer boxer and in-lines over V's anyways

Just to muddy the waters some manufacturers do refer to their SOHC (per bank of cylinders) V engines as DOHC - which whilst technically correct is a bit misleading.

The V6 in the Camry/ES300 is correctly labelled as a quad cam.

That said, since acquiring the Big Blue Super Sube I've become a big fan of boxers - I love the sound of the Subaru 2.5 litre, especially from about 4000rpm onwards - it sounds like an engine, like it's alive!

When Holden (the local GM maker) released the Vectra here in late 97 they modified the 2.0 litre cars for local conditions and put an exhaust on them you could get your fist in (the local base unleaded fuel's a shocker) and what looked to my eye to be pretty close to extractors on the engine.

Result? A lovely, free spinning 2 litre four that hit its 6800rpm revlimiter like it had another 2200rpm in hand, and really snarled. I used to deliberately rev it out just to listen to it snarl.

i guess it would be misleading if you didn't know much about cars but DOHC just means you have 2 overhead cams per camshaft .......and a V-6, V-8, V-10, or V-12 has 2 camshafts .....2 X 2 = 4 cams .....i know you already knew that though

i can't get over the sound of Porsches though ......i don't know how they sound like that but i love it .....maybe it's partially due to the boxer engine ......honestly i can't compare to the Subarus b/c i don't think i've ever heard one exept for the rally cars which is another story ......i hear Porsches every day though and they sound like jets or buses or something

Originally posted by vat_man

Just to muddy the waters some manufacturers do refer to their SOHC (per bank of cylinders) V engines as DOHC - which whilst technically correct is a bit misleading.

That said, since acquiring the Big Blue Super Sube I've become a big fan of boxers - I love the sound of the Subaru 2.5 litre, especially from about 4000rpm onwards - it sounds like an engine, like it's alive!

When Holden (the local GM maker) released the Vectra here in late 97 they modified the 2.0 litre cars for local conditions and put an exhaust on them you could get your fist in (the local base unleaded fuel's a shocker) and what looked to my eye to be pretty close to extractors on the engine.

Result? A lovely, free spinning 2 litre four that hit its 6800rpm revlimiter like it had another 2200rpm in hand, and really snarled. I used to deliberately rev it out just to listen to it snarl.

The 2.0L is even better screaming at 7000+ rpm... :D

Ok, help me out here, I'm still young so I don't know much about engine types, I know about the V##, it's the cylinders but it's the following letters that get me. Correct me if I'm wrong (which is more than likely)
DOHC = Dual Over Head Cam
SOHC = Single Over Head Cam
OHV = Over Head Valves
I really don't know, I'm taking a wild guess at this. I'm just curious. I know about the kind of engines like the boxers and the rotaries, my father currently owns a 98' Impreza Sti Sedan (nice :embarrassed:) and the enigine looks like something from the future, it's really nice, 285hp, all wheel drive, you should see our road, all skid marks. Any way, I got a bit carried away, my bad.

DOHC=Dopuble overhead cam...atleast here in australia thats what they are. my yamaha XS250 has a twin cylinder 250cc engine and its got a single overhead cam...****in fourstrokes lol

Originally posted by vat_man

yeah for a 2 litre they go hard...probably still got the vauxhall motor in them...holden has come a long way in motor reform since the early 80's but theyve still got a little way to go in making the 3.8's a bit better on fuel. i know my uncles VP (3.8v6) uses more fuel than his toyota landcruiser (4litre straight 6 turboed). but the commy goes harder than the gxl ;)

Originally posted by maverick_296

yeah for a 2 litre they go hard...probably still got the vauxhall motor in them...holden has come a long way in motor reform since the early 80's but theyve still got a little way to go in making the 3.8's a bit better on fuel. i know my uncles VP (3.8v6) uses more fuel than his toyota landcruiser (4litre straight 6 turboed). but the commy goes harder than the gxl ;)

Actually the 2 litre (now 2.2) is made at Holden's Fishermans Bend plant in Melbourne - they make all the 2.0 and 2.2 for the Vectra range - it's the old Family 2 motor from the Camira (well, it's had a couple of severe updates since then).

The 2 litre is actually one of the larger engine options for the Vectra (well, that and that dreadful V6) - most run around with 1.6 and 1.8 litres in Europe.

Originally posted by jrm1493

All 3 major US vehicle manufactures have excellent OHV V-8 engines ranging in displacement from around 300-500 cid, and while these engines are no longer made by Ford or Chrysler, they are still readily available and can be easily and inexpensively modified to produce in excess of 1 hp per cubic inch naturally aspirated (if you have money to spend they can make quite a bit more than this as well) [/B]
did you know F1 cars get 4.62 hp per cubic inch normally aspirated? ....that's not too shabby ;)

[285hp, all wheel drive-

not to be an A$$ or anything...but a factory Subaru DOES NOT HAVE 285hp...the max it has is like 225- 240 i think...unless you droped a charger with higher boost or upgraded your intercooler, no way it can have 285hp , sorry i know this post is kinda old but i just wanted to point that out,

Mark

Originally posted by SSaleen
[285hp, all wheel drive-

not to be an A$$ or anything...but a factory Subaru DOES NOT HAVE 285hp...the max it has is like 225- 240 i think...unless you droped a charger with higher boost or upgraded your intercooler, no way it can have 285hp , sorry i know this post is kinda old but i just wanted to point that out,

Mark
hey, welcome to GTPlanet SSaleen! ......i think you're forgeting about the impreza P1 though .....i believe it has 285 hp

Yes the P1 maybe does, but he's got the STI? and how often do you see a P1 , like never in my area, :D
oh, i couldn't tell you on the STI .......someone else will know better ........whereabouts are you in Canada?

im from Niaggar Falls, i go to Toronto like everyweek a few times a week, get together with my GP GTP buddies, and just drive. it's fun there

im from Niaggar Falls, i go to Toronto like everyweek a few times a week, get together with my GP GTP buddies, and just drive. it's fun there
your GP GTP buddies? ....who are they? and where do you drive? .....do you mean playing the game or driving around Toronto? ......yeah, i like to ask questions :)

nope we drive the real thing! LOL. yea we play the game too oofcourse, personally i do not know toronto that great , we dont really have a "Hang Out PLace" like we go around driving in a big group, we stop at some places to eat, stufff like that...go on the QEW race...to see which one has the faster car etc :D

[285hp, all wheel drive-

Mark

Well, maybe not in North America. The Liberty/Legacy B4 is rated at around 210 kw in Japan, but needs 100RON unleaded.

In Australia with our unleaded it's tuned to 195 kw.

nope we drive the real thing! LOL. yea we play the game too oofcourse, personally i do not know toronto that great , we dont really have a "Hang Out PLace" like we go around driving in a big group, we stop at some places to eat, stufff like that...go on the QEW race...to see which one has the faster car etc :D
that's cool .....kind of a long drive though every week to T.O. though

Sup Vader- i really dont care for rice but thanks for the info good to know, i like to smoke them with my "Family" Sedan

Yea it kinda of is a long ride, but i get bored so what the hell. Depends on the traffic, out traffic is ****y here in Southern Ontario, unless you drive at like 3 in the morning

Sup Vader- i really dont care for rice but thanks for the info good to know, i like to smoke them with my "Family" Sedan

Yea it kinda of is a long ride, but i get bored so what the hell. Depends on the traffic, out traffic is ****y here in Southern Ontario, unless you drive at like 3 in the morning
i've only been to Niagra Falls once before but remember it as a relatively small town that is mostly based on tourism ....Niagra-on-the-Lake is pretty nice but yeah it must get pretty boring down there .....do you come right downtown or mostly on the outskirts?

it's ok here in the summer i take the boat out and stuff and the bike, we hang around everywhere, planet hollywood everywhere, i have a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP it will do 0-60 in 6.65 seconds, and a 1/4 mile at like 15.2 or high 14's (all factory) the best thing about it is...the performance improvement u get for the buck, for example i put a smaller pulley for under 100 Dollars gives me about 25-30 extra hp doing low 14's beating mustangs and camaros, http://www.gp-owners.com im at the chat now

it's ok here in the summer i take the boat out and stuff and the bike, we hang around everywhere, planet hollywood everywhere, i have a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP it will do 0-60 in 6.65 seconds, and a 1/4 mile at like 15.2 or high 14's (all factory) the best thing about it is...the performance improvement u get for the buck, for example i put a smaller pulley for under 100 Dollars gives me about 25-30 extra hp doing low 14's beating mustangs and camaros, http://www.gp-owners.com im at the chat now

Ah, the joys of forced induction... :)

The B4 will run mid to high 13's - not to mention the advantage it would have in the wet.

Back