Enzo successor spotted

• Thread starter McLaren
  • 675 comments
Agreed. Something looks wrong.

Maybe it's those little mirrors poking out three feet from the car. They almost look like sidecars they're pushed out so far! I'm not a fan of how the car sort of pinches in in the center, whereas the front and rear are significantly wider. The 458-style headlights work surprisingly well on the front though.

El LaFerrari was actually going to be called the F150, but Ferrari suddenly decided to change it's name? WHY?

Also, the rear looked sooooo much better:
F150_zpsf7fbe75d.png

If the final version had that rear end, i wouldn't be so dissatisfied in the LaaaaFerrari or whatever it's called. :(

Apparantly there's gonna be a Maserati-variant too again.

By Georg Kacher
Spy shots
20 March 2013 10:00

CAR’s sources report Maserati is planning to launch a successor to the 2004 MC12 supercar in 2015, based on LaFerrari underpinnings, but without the electro-hybrid Ferrari’s eco-conscience. Like the MC12, the new Maserati supercar could borrow a Ferrari chassis, suspension and electrical systems, but wear a bespoke carbon body and – this time – boast more powerplant differentiation.

What’ll power the new Maserati flagship supercar?

Maserati has two options. Either, it can stick with the 6.3-litre V12 of the LaFerrari, detuned from 789bhp and 516lb ft to develop more low-end torque, which the Ferrari sidesteps by having an electric motor boost it at low revs. Or, Maserati could further embrace the virtues of turbocharging, opting for a quad-turbocharged version of the Quattroporte’s 3.8-litre bi-turbo V8. The Maserati four-door puts out 523bhp and 523lb ft – a Veyron-style four-blower system could easily take those figures closer to the 900bhp levels of the LaFerrari and McLaren P1.

Whatever the eventual powertrain, don’t expect the Maserati ‘LaMaserati’ to outstrip its cousin’s performance, economy or CO2 figures – Ferrari rules the roost. Similarly, the MC12’s Enzo-pinched V12 was detuned from 651bhp to 620bhp, and the top speed was ‘only’ 205mph, rather than the Enzo’s 217mph limit.

Tell me more about the new Maserati supercar

Like the LaFerrari, it’ll be a fixed-head coupe only – the old Ferrari Enzo-based MC12 had a targa lift-out roof panel, thanks to Ferrari’s super-stiff carbon tub structure. The all-carbon Maser will likely be lighter than the 1255kg LaFerrari thanks to the lack of hybrid batteries, and will boast a pared-back two-seater cabin. The body panels will be bespoke, and focus more on low-drag than high-downforce. Would you like to see something akin to the 2006 Birdcage concept car? (pictured, right). Tell us your opinion in the comments below.

So, how much will ‘LaMaserati’ cost?

Chequebooks at the ready: like the LaFerrari, the price-tag will sail past €1m plus taxes. How can Maserati justify their slower car costing as much? Simple: with extra exclusivity. Just 50 examples of the Maserati will be made, compared to 499 LaFerraris (all of which are already sold). This follows the template set by the MC12: 50 were made, costing €600,000 each.

Interestingly they're considering using their own V8 for this one.

Not surprising Ferrari will be neutering the Maserati variant. Hopefully, it'll be follow the MC12 & be the faster car on the track.

Not surprising Ferrari will be neutering the Maserati variant. Hopefully, it'll be follow the MC12 & be the faster car on the track.

Or take a different approach this time, and make it a more 'luxurious' version with a more civilized Maserati character, you know, more a roadcar with current Maserati styling features, the MC12 never did much for me it has to be said.

CAR’s sources report Maserati is planning to launch a successor to the 2004 MC12 supercar in 2015, based on LaFerrari underpinnings, but without the electro-hybrid Ferrari’s eco-conscience.

I like the Maserati more. Unless they add something else to screw it up.

Or take a different approach this time, and make it a more 'luxurious' version with a more civilized Maserati character, you know, more a roadcar with current Maserati styling features, the MC12 never did much for me it has to be said.

Which makes things even more promising, as far as sexyness goes. If outrageous performance is not absolutely mandatory, Maserati will have more margin on which to cut performance a bit to improve styling and desirability.

Pinifarina Birdcage concept, mentioned by the article that analog posted:
pininfarina-maserati-birdcage-75th-concept.jpg

pininfarina_birdcage_manu_005.jpg

Way to concepty to consider, but anyting that follows Castriota's lines on the GranTurismo S cannot be bad. This could be a good start too.

I like the styling of Ferrari TheFerrari but my god that liviery looks horrible.

As stated, its Camouflage designed to hide the lines of the car, not a livery.

LaFerrari Sold Out (From TopSpeed.com)

Simona
When you want to define the new LaFerrari you have to use "most" a few times: most powerful Ferrari ever and the most expensive one at $1.4 million.

Despite its high price, more than 1,000 people expressed interest in the supercar within days of its official debut. Now it looks like Ferrari has finally selected the lucky 499 clients for its new supercar, meaning the LaFerrari is officially sold out.

During the unveiling of the LaFerrari, Marco Mattiacci, the president and CEO of Ferrari North America, said that all the 120 units destined for the American market were spoken for, and now the entire world’s allotment is spoken for.

According to Mattiacci the new LaFerrari is the first step in a new strategy for Ferrari to make its brand and its cars more exclusive. This means that Ferrari will build fewer cars, but they will be even more expensive.

So their plan is to, explicitly, make fewer cars and make them more expensive.

What about making better cars? Shouldn't that be the goal of any group of creative, talented, and productive people? Now I realize this is probably some marketing drone and I do indeed have utter faith in Ferrari producing continuously more refined and technologically laden supercars, but seeking out exclusivity for marketing purposes feels like an insult to the quality of the cars themselves. Perhaps I'm reading into it too far.

Back