Error CE-108255-1 on PS5: did anybody find a solution in the end?

• Thread starter Shrapnel
  • 42 comments
Italy
Italy
Hi everyone!
I keep getting this error after the game freezes and then crashes, getting to the error page where you're asked to send a notice.

I basically can't play the game anymore, it crashes multiple times a day on completely different events.
I initially thought it was customized liveries that crashed some races, but I've got this crash during the new Master license tests as well.

I deleted and reinstalled the game twice during the last two days, deleted the game save, rebuilt the database, cleared the console cache: nothing worked.
Sony and Polyphony apparently don't give a **** about this, so I'm kinda lost.

No other game ever crashed on my PS5, nothing at all.

Did anybody manage to find a solution on their own, in the end, since the frauds at Sony/Polyphony don't seem to care?

Thanks in advance! =)

Hi everyone!
I keep getting this error after the game freezes and then crashes, getting to the error page where you're asked to send a notice.

I basically can't play the game anymore, it crashes multiple times a day on completely different events.
I initially thought it was customized liveries that crashed some races, but I've got this crash during the new Master license tests as well.

I deleted and reinstalled the game twice during the last two days, deleted the game save, rebuilt the database, cleared the console cache: nothing worked.
Sony and Polyphony apparently don't give a **** about this, so I'm kinda lost.

No other game ever crashed on my PS5, nothing at all.

Did anybody manage to find a solution on their own, in the end, since the frauds at Sony/Polyphony don't seem to care?

Thanks in advance! =)
Never had any crashing, but I'd start with taking the console face plates off and cleaning the fan and inlets just in case.

Then do a complete factory reset on the console.

Outside of those two measures, there's not much more you can do.

Did you already try the last step?

Other websites are also suggesting yet other stuff that may or may not be related or helpful, like switching console language or deactivating HDCP.
Haven't tried a complete reset yet, I don't really feel like wiping and then redownloading everything just because Polyphony apparently didn't even study BASIC before they decided they were game programmers. =D

About those other suggestions, never heard about those before and I might give them a try.
They're quick and painless after all, so... why not? =)

And thanks for the help, of course! =)

It isn't an issue with GT7 specifically, it happens to people playing completely different games.

It only happens with Gran Turismo 7 here, and I already tried everything on that list except the complete reset.
Also, the error is happening more and more frequently as time go.
It's like the situation is deteriorating, so to speak.

Also, gratz on your nickname and profile picture. =D

Last edited:
Not the end pf the world, but I have not been able to join a single ’Paddock’ since the update. Different error codes, but one of them was CE-800108.

Never had any crashing, but I'd start with taking the console face plates off and cleaning the fan and inlets just in case.

Then do a complete factory reset on the console.

Outside of those two measures, there's not much more you can do.
The console is two months old, I hope it's not already full of dust. =D
But then again, that won't take too long and I might try anyway.

Not the end pf the world, but I have not been able to join a single ’Paddock’ since the update. Different error codes, but one of them was CE-800108.
I think that error even dates back to GT Sport on PS4, don't know if there's a common solution though. =(

The console is two months old, I hope it's not already full of dust. =D
But then again, that won't take too long and I might try anyway.
If your console is only 2 months old I'd advise taking it back to the retailer and changing it for a new one.

It only happens with Gran Turismo 7 here
Nonetheless, it's a console issue not a game one.

In fact this error code is so common (actually "CE" means "common error") that there's literally a Twitter account called CE1082551, made just to rant about it:

It appears to be a storage-related issue, so if it's a two-month old console maybe you've just got a Friday-built SSD. Definitely worth a swap under warranty.

Nonetheless, it's a console issue not a game one.

In fact this error code is so common (actually "CE" means "common error") that there's literally a Twitter account called CE1082551, made just to rant about it:

It appears to be a storage-related issue, so if it's a two-month old console maybe you've just got a Friday-built SSD. Definitely worth a swap under warranty.
While this is definitely possible, or even very likely seeing how bad Sony's hardware usually is, I'm pretty curious: how's a faulty SSD supposed to only affect one game?
Since I deleted and redownloaded the game twice lately, it should have been written on different zones of the disk as that's how SSDs usually work to reduce wear on the cells.

But again, this is just curiousity: your explanation honestly seems the more likely, unfortunately.

I had this issue when GT7 launched. It also happened in other games (gta 5 on ray tracing modes). I had to send it for repair (I was within the warranty period).

I suggest you try to replace it where you bought it and if that doesn’t work contact Playstation and send it back.

It’s a bummer. Best of luck.

While this is definitely possible, or even very likely seeing how bad Sony's hardware usually is, I'm pretty curious: how's a faulty SSD supposed to only affect one game?
Since I deleted and redownloaded the game twice lately, it should have been written on different zones of the disk as that's how SSDs usually work to reduce wear on the cells.

But again, this is just curiousity: your explanation honestly seems the more likely, unfortunately.
Bear in mind that the PS5's SSD doesn't exactly work like that. It's not even one SSD, but a gaggle of chips, each with their own IO pipeline.

That's interesting information for sure, I think I'll keep it in mind.
But I'm getting more and more curious. =D

The game only crashes during actual races. It never crashed on the livery editor or the menus, and only crashed once when I left it alone for a while on the map screen and a movie started.
Why do you think it crashes this way? Could there be a reason?

Also, when I accessed Safe Mode yesterday to rebuild the database (again) and clear the console cache (again) I noticed a Repair Console Storage option. It's not always mentioned on the intertubes, like it's not on the menu at all. Was it added recently? Or does it only appear when something's fishy?

Yeah, I'm a very curious guy. =D

Ran an experiment this morning, just out of curiosity.

I redownloaded GT 7 on my PS4 and tried running a race that always freezes and crashes my PS5.
Same race, same car: it's the new 900 PP race at Suzuka, from one of the new menus. I used a Group 1 Toyota with my customized Canon livery, just as I always did on PS5.

The first time, the race didn't even load. The game was stuck on a black screen, with the music still happily running in the background.
Hard-closed the game, loaded the game and then the race again, started it and completed it without any issue.

Saved, uploaded the save data, went to my PS5 and opened the same race with the same car: less than one minute into the first lap, the game froze and crashed as usual.

Meanwhile, I've been playing Project Zero: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse on my PS5 (among some other games) for 2 to 3 hours at a time and nothing ever happened. No freezes, no glitches, no crashes. Weird.

Ran an experiment this morning, just out of curiosity.

I redownloaded GT 7 on my PS4 and tried running a race that always freezes and crashes my PS5.
Same race, same car: it's the new 900 PP race at Suzuka, from one of the new menus. I used a Group 1 Toyota with my customized Canon livery, just as I always did on PS5.

The first time, the race didn't even load. The game was stuck on a black screen, with the music still happily running in the background.
Hard-closed the game, loaded the game and then the race again, started it and completed it without any issue.

Saved, uploaded the save data, went to my PS5 and opened the same race with the same car: less than one minute into the first lap, the game froze and crashed as usual.

Meanwhile, I've been playing Project Zero: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse on my PS5 (among some other games) for 2 to 3 hours at a time and nothing ever happened. No freezes, no glitches, no crashes. Weird.

Had the same experience. Ps4 was fine, most games on ps5 were fine, GT7 crashed.

If it's actually the SSD in the end, though, I have a theory about that.
All of the other games I'm playing without any issue are a lot smaller than GT 7, and I mean a lot.
Being so huge (we're talking more than 120 GB, if memory serves), maybe GT 7 has more chances to end up on faulty cells.
But that's just speculation.

It might have to do with the internal ssd. Can youre ps5 breath enough and give you a propper clean from time to time? Some games are more demanding to the ssd then others and the internal ssd and memory are very bitchy to heat. First time i started GT on release day i was welcomed by an overheat message.
I installed early on an nvme ssd and then never had any issues. I also drilled holes in both plates so the ps5 can even more breath.

It might have to do with the internal ssd. Can youre ps5 breath enough and give you a propper clean from time to time? Some games are more demanding to the ssd then others and the internal ssd and memory are very bitchy to heat. First time i started GT on release day i was welcomed by an overheat message.
I installed early on an nvme ssd and then never had any issues. I also drilled holes in both plates so the ps5 can even more breath.
It definitely has enough breathing room and it's not supposed to be dirty inside, since it's 2 or 3 months old.
This is quite a weird problem, actually.
Especially since I can play all of my other games without any issue. =P

Good to hear 👍🏻
The one point i am dissapointed about the ps5 is the thermal pads inside. If you watch some of the teardown videos they have only little dots on the ram and memorys and ssds, there are not fully covered. Im planing to teardown my ps5 and replace these pads with the right size.
But the extra nvme drive is a good solution because its seperated from the heatsorce plus an extra heatthink on top. Another plus when you download a game the install time is way shorter then on the internal ssd. Internal ssd hase only a good readspeed but a low wrightspeed.

Last edited:
Yesterday a surprise firmware update was deployed on PS5.
Right after installing it, I tried giving GT 7 a go because, why not? =D

Usual problematic combo of race (Suzuka 900PP) and car (Gr. 1 Toyota with custom livery) and I was able to finish the race without any hiccup.
This morning I launched the game again, wanting to tackle the new Weekly Challenges, and the game froze and crashed on the third or second race.

So long for hoping the new firmware somehow fixed something...

Then 3 things. You have to bite the bitter apple and go through a complete factory reset and if this not help, you build in an nvme Drive or at least go for warranty replacement.

Then 3 things. You have to bite the bitter apple and go through a complete factory reset and if this not help, you build in an nvme Drive or at least go for warranty replacement.
Don't feel like investing in a drive for a console that might be faulty, maybe I'll just make a last effort and try a factory reset after I finish Mask of the Lunar Eclipse (which didn't crash nor stutter a single time, and I'm near the end).

If the problem persists, I'll just ask for a replacement under warranty.
Not that I care that much about a console that crashes and burns after two or three months, but hey... I paid for it, I'd like it to actually work.

Meanwhile, three races this morning and no crashes.
Including the Weekly Challenge that crashed yesterday.
This really makes no sense at all.

I had an odd issue crop up a few months back with my PS5 where after playing Minecraft with my son, the console would lock up and require a hard reset. One of those times it would not boot back up without a factory reinstall. ......wiped everything off the internal SSD and even required reinstallation of the system software.

I didn't have any other issue with any other game except Minecraft. .....not exactly a very demanding game either on system resources, space, etc. I play other games that take much more space and demand much more from the system even causing the fans to kick on at a higher RPM, etc.

Anyhow, after the wipe and reinstall of the system software, etc., I haven't had the problem since. It was really odd although I do vaguely recall having had to do it with my PS4 as well at one point.

The thing is, I've had my system for a while now but even though yours is new, perhaps there is a corrupt system file or similar that is causing the issue with. This one program?

Either way, I wish you luck. I thought my PS5 was on its way to becoming a real problem for me but seems the wipe did the trick. Given that your system is so new though, I wouldn't expect problems this soon. If the issue doesn't resolve, I hope you're able to get it swapped out through warranty without issue.

I sure hope the total wipe will be worth it, since it'll be a pain in the ass.

What I'd really like to understand, though, is why it's so random.
This morning I ran two long races: a 12-lap one (the Red Bull X2019 Challenge at Interlagos, from one of the new Cafe menus), that promptly crashed the console yesterday, and a 10-lap race (the Weekly Challenge at Fuji with 800 PP cars) and nothing at all happened. Not a freeze, not a crash, not a stutter. Nothing.

What might this randomness mean? Faulty console or botched filesystem?
I really have no idea anymore.

I sure hope the total wipe will be worth it, since it'll be a pain in the ass.

What I'd really like to understand, though, is why it's so random.
This morning I ran two long races: a 12-lap one (the Red Bull X2019 Challenge at Interlagos, from one of the new Cafe menus), that promptly crashed the console yesterday, and a 10-lap race (the Weekly Challenge at Fuji with 800 PP cars) and nothing at all happened. Not a freeze, not a crash, not a stutter. Nothing.

What might this randomness mean? Faulty console or botched filesystem?
I really have no idea anymore.
Currupt files maybe.
Another question.
Are you download via W-lan or lan cabel?

Last edited:
Currupt files maybe.
Another question.
Are you download via W-lan or lan cabel?
LAN, never used Wi-Fi on this PS5 nor on the PS4.
Also, corrupt files seemed like a likely culprit, but I deleted and redownloaded the game two or three times.
As I said, no idea.

LAN, never used Wi-Fi on this PS5 nor on the PS4.
Also, corrupt files seemed like a likely culprit, but I deleted and redownloaded the game two or three times.
As I said, no idea.
Then go ahead put youre savefiles into the cloud and wipe that bi…

Back