Esports Get Down on the Farm With Farming Simulator League and Its €250,000 Prize Pool

I'll confess to being a virtual farmer having racked up many hours in FS17 on the PS4. It's a cerebral screensaver though - I can play it with I suspect just my brain stem, letting my mind drift off whilst playing. Many a time I've woken up a few fields over, or mowing in a circle...

But watching it as a competitive sport? I'd almost prefer to watch cricket.

The world is becoming a parody of itself. This would have been a joke headline 20 years ago.

To be fair any esport 20 years ago would probably be a bit puzzling, at least any major esport.

What I really don't get, is nobody has actually given any reasoning behind this attitude? Why is the fact E-Sports is becoming popular a bad thing? It's a hobby for most and the fact some people have been able to make a living doing something they genuinely enjoy is a good thing.

Personally, I don't see the appeal either, but I don't see it triggering the fall of modern civilization like some seem to believe it is.

The game sells an insane number of copies, plus companies sponsor it. It's not like some shady organization is funding it.

The same thing they get when they sponsor anything else, attention and hopefully some sales.

People find all kinds of popular things to be strange, that doesn't mean they're bad.

So?

What do you mean by "Out of hand" ? are there certain criteria to to determine that "oh ok this has gone too far enough"

1. The money comes from the game creators , sponsors and revenue from the events etc.

By using the same kind of thinking before PS1 came out you were considered an antisocial loser if you liked gaming (and thats still going on to this day but far lees of course )fast forward 20+ years later and gaming has become more profitable than hollywood.

Thanks for the information but i think it was pretty obvious already however
virtual racing is something much more than just "pressing buttons"
Whats wrong with that ? there is a very high chance i may not be able to drive a real car once in my life but i love cars so i use racing games "to do" what i love why should that be seen as a negative?.

Sure no problem, but why don't we have a competition for real farming? I'm sure there is one but I have not heard of a huge prize for it. It's hard not to be cynical when farmers here in Australia are going broke and committing suicide. Not to mention that people don't want to do the hard work, and here you have some ridiculous prize pool for virtual farming.
I gather you have probably worked out by now, my issue is probably more the particular game and prize on offer rather than the industry as a whole.
The strangest thing I have seen so far with E-Sports is they now want to telecast it live! I don't mean some internet live stream either. I mean proper broadcast television. I work in the TV broadcast industry and know we are developing a platform for it.
The thing that gets me is I can't believe there are actually enough people out there that would want to watch it.

Sure no problem, but why don't we have a competition for real farming? I'm sure there is one but I have not heard of a huge prize for it. It's hard not to be cynical when farmers here in Australia are going broke and committing suicide. Not to mention that people don't want to do the hard work, and here you have some ridiculous prize pool for virtual farming.
I gather you have probably worked out by now, my issue is probably more the particular game and prize on offer rather than the industry as a whole.
The strangest thing I have seen so far with E-Sports is they now want to telecast it live! I don't mean some internet live stream either. I mean proper broadcast television. I work in the TV broadcast industry and know we are developing a platform for it.
The thing that gets me is I can't believe there are actually enough people out there that would want to watch it.
Thats fair enough i don't like watching e-sports either (exept GTS and even then not for long) .

It's hard not to be cynical when farmers here in Australia are going broke and committing suicide.

How is this preventing anybody from addressing that?:confused:

Of course, speaking of Australia.

Not to mention that people don't want to do the hard work, and here you have some ridiculous prize pool for virtual farming.

Ah yes, the good old baseless "millennials are lazy" routine! I really should look into that, but it's hard to find the time when this "lazy millennial" is working 50+ hours a week.

Honestly, I haven't really figured out what your issue is other than the fact you don't like it so apparently nobody should.

The strangest thing I have seen so far with E-Sports is they now want to telecast it live! I don't mean some internet live stream either. I mean proper broadcast television. I work in the TV broadcast industry and know we are developing a platform for it. The thing that gets me is I can't believe there are actually enough people out there that would want to watch it.

I don't get why people want to watch a lot of things, that doesn't mean I think they should be removed from existence.

ure no problem, but why don't we have a competition for real farming? I'm sure there is one but I have not heard of a huge prize for it.

There are hundreds if not thousands of farming competitions across the globe. Also, in the US (not sure about other countries) we have state and county fairs that pretty much all have farming competitions that revolve around livestock and produce. Hell, even tractor pulls could probably fit into the definition of farming competitions, same goes for rodeos too.

How is this preventing anybody from addressing that?:confused:

Of course, speaking of Australia.

Ah yes, the good old baseless "millennials are lazy" routine! I really should look into that, but it's hard to find the time when this "lazy millennial" is working 50+ hours a week.

Honestly, I haven't really figured out what your issue is other than the fact you don't like it so apparently nobody should.

I don't get why people want to watch a lot of things, that doesn't mean I think they should be removed from existence.

MATE!!!
You are creating things I have not even typed out which I would call an assumption.

Where did I say millennials are lazy??? People, here in Australia don't want to go out and work on the land, it's fact. Google is your friend for that one. I said nothing about millennials. BTW you are only 1 month younger than me. Can I assume that you were assuming that I am 60 or something in that case?

Where did I say nobody should like e-sports or e-farming? Sure I have expressed I don't like the huge prize pool for this particular one and that the industry boomed out of no where, but I have not told anyone they don't have to like it.

Where did I say I think certain TV should be removed from existence? Me not believing there are enough people to watch certain programming is not the same thing as believing it should be removed from existence.
I made my opinions and you are replying to them with yours which is fine, but don't make crap up that I did not say.

To top it off, you did it on Post 7 to bloodyboyblue as well so it's not just me you have done it to.

There are hundreds if not thousands of farming competitions across the globe. Also, in the US (not sure about other countries) we have state and county fairs that pretty much all have farming competitions that revolve around livestock and produce. Hell, even tractor pulls could probably fit into the definition of farming competitions, same goes for rodeos too.

I know there are farm shows with competitions and the like, we have them here as well, stock, produce, shearing, hearding etc. But I still have not heard of a prize pool like that for the real deal.
A quick google search confirms it for me, Australian google search limits overseas content a bit so my results may be skewed.
I can see Plenty of E-Sports farming competitions with over $100000 in prizes.
But I can't really find much that is more than $10000 for real life. Most prizes are just put your name on an award and give out a medal or certificate. The only other prize being recognition and the marketing advantage against competitors that's comes with it by slapping best in show on your produce.
The major exception I have found seems to be tractor pull events which I can't really associate with farming. Sure there is a tractor but to me that is more a form of motorsport than it is farming.

Last edited:
Back