Eurovision Song Contest 2012 Baku, AzerbaijanMusic 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 31 comments

Jimlaad43

GeoGuessr God
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
I'm quite surprised that a thread about Eurovision hasn't been started yet.

Anyway.

http://www.eurovision.tv/page/baku-2012

This is the first one to be held in Azerbaijan after their victory last year.

Feel free to post about which country you will vote for or try to get other European users not in your country to vote for your country (If that isn't against the AUP). I would like to promote the UK for votes.

Red means voted out, Green means progressed to the final.

Semi-Final 1 24/05/12

Montenegro
Iceland
Greece

Latvia
Albania
Romania

Switzerland
Belgium
Finland
Israel
San Marino

Cyprus
Denmark
Russia
Hungary

Austria
Moldova
Ireland

Semi-Final 2 26/05/12

Serbia
Macedonia
Netherlands
Malta
Belarus
Portugal
Ukraine
Bulgaria
Slovenia
Croatia
Sweden
Georgia
Turkey
Slovakia
Norway
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Lithuania

Blue means automatically through to the final, orange means Semi-final 1 and yellow means Semi-final 2. Hosts in Italics.

Final 28/05/12
UK
France
Germany
Italy
Spain
Azerbaijan

Iceland
Greece
Albania
Romania
Cyprus
Denmark
Russia
Hungary
Moldova
Ireland

I can't believe they are televising the semi-finals these days. And I certainly can't believe that I'm (sort of) watching (some of) it...

As per usual, it is a heady mix of inane presenters, gorgeous but mental female singers, strangely deluded men with questionable facial hair, and more cheese than you can shake a stick at.

What the hell did Holland come as?? :confused:

As for Britain, it's just as well that we are permanent members and do not need to qualify - otherwise we'd probably get kicked out before the final every year from now until the end of time.

facepalmu.gif

And the UK have begun this year. Lets ignore Azerbijan having a human rights record like a dustbin.

Good job Englebert Humperdinck!

The music is so damn bad, but since almost every news outlet in Sweden predicts that Loreen will win did I think I could check some of it out. :lol:

TBH, why dont Jedward just sing 26 times? Becuase people are only tuning in to laugh at them. :lol:

TBH, why dont Jedward just sing 26 times? Becuase people are only tuning in to laugh at them. :lol:

Can't we convince Ireland to stop sending this crap and send along Niamh Kavanagh again? Jedward = 👎

Italy's got the best song tonight though... by swedish songwriters, as usual. :P

Can't we convince Ireland to stop sending this crap and send along Niamh Kavanagh again? Jedward = 👎

Italy's got the best song tonight though... by swedish songwriters, as usual. :P

You Swedish have some amazing musicians for sure. Abba, Ace of Base (best music ever-strong childhood memories), and many more. 👍

We have Modern Talking, Heino and Tokio Hotel. :sly: :lol:

Sweden were awful.

I lost interest as soon as Norton said the beat is similar to that of a David Guetta song. Then she started singing. :ill:

In my opinion, I think the best on the night were, surprisingly, Azerbaijan. I did miss the first few performances though, but still.

And we are winning! :lol:

France & Italy were the best, but dude, seriously, no way in hell was Azerbaijan better than Sweden, that girl could not, I repeat, not sing. :P

Cyprus I thought would have got more guys voting for them with the whole "girls in short clothes shaking it about" routine...

Mr Lordi.. wins///

Yep, Mr Lordi did it like a boss, right there.

And oh yeah, we are winning... :lol: Wait, we just won. Awww yeah. *points fingers* :P

Och vi är vinnare! ;) See all of ya in Stockholm/Gothenburg/Malmö next year.

Last edited:
Sweden win 👎

UK terrible. But you have to love the Eurovision grannies from Russia!

We are so sorry. Perhaps we (Ireland) can sell them to pay off our stupidly nationalised banking debts sovereign debt.

Cyprus I thought would have got more guys voting for them with the whole "girls in short clothes shaking it about" routine...

Mr Lordi.. wins///

Indeed, in relation to both.

And oh yeah, we are winning... :lol: Wait, we just won. Awww yeah. *points fingers* :P

That was a far more convincing win than I was expecting after the first half of the votes were revealed. I still don't think the best one won tonight, but whatever.

UK terrible. But you have to love the Eurovision grannies from Russia!

Yeah, we were as bad as I had expected, but second place for Russia was surprising though. :lol:

I'm baffled that this contest still is being taken seriously.

Over the last few years there hasn't been a single song that was either performed well or creatively constructed. If I'm to be honest, who ever dresses in the weirdest way, or pulls out the weirdest move wins this "contest".

I didn't even watched the songs, but I always view the point counting to see what kind of ridiculous people take part int his nonsense each year. Then I heard the winning song, and concluded that there is no need to even listen to any of the songs :lol:

Second last!? And I thought our guy was decent...

It's all political, I didn't watch the whole thing but I flicked on and saw Greece voting. Graham Norton said something like "They usually give Cyprus points" and what happens 12 points to Cyprus. :D In real life the UK wins: Elton John, George Michael, Tom Jones, Shirley Bassey, Queen, Eric Clapton, The Beatles and the list goes on. :)

It's all political (...)

It isn't all political. If it was Russia certainly wouldn't have given Sweden 12 points, which they did.

But I would love to see a real Eurovision, with the best each country has to offer.

I've noticed the standard of Eurovision has gotten higher and higher over the years, there aren't so many rough around the edges or totally bonkers acts any more... they all pretty much can sing. Also the hosting has gotten much more up market, the Baku Crystal Hall looks better than our Olympic Stadium :ouch: :lol:

The voting is and always has been political but the whole point of the contest is for Europe to do something together and its not really meant to be taken seriously. Having said that some continental European countries take it very damn seriously. Graham Norton as ever making the whole event hilarious.

Cyprus was my favourite performance (I don't really know why!) as was that Jamie Cullum written song for Germany. Jedward were awesome! :D

But as ever Ireland really need to do this as their Eurovision entry, I'm telling you it would win!

Last edited:
Back