Excessive Tire Squeal?

• Thread starter ZoraDuntov
  • 29 comments
Are you talking about tire squeal or tire roar? I thought the tire sounds were accurate. Most films seem to delete the sounds of tires squealing unless it's for dramatic effect, but when you drive in a car with sports tires (I had a 350Z with Yokohama AVS Sport), they often have a good deal of 'tire roar' .

I have to chime in here.

I have had two dedicated drift cars (in real life), as well as racing at track days on occasion. The tire "squeal" sounds are far from "accurate". There have been other games that have come much "closer" to exhibiting realistic tire noises. Forza 2, while having many flaws of it's own the tire sounds were far better and much closer to reality, in my honest opinion.

;)

Absolutly correct Delphic.
The tire sounds are far away from reallity. I'm a marshal so i see many races live at the track and there is nothing like the squeal in GT.

One problem with sims is that easily you lose grip at speeds like 80mph at corners but in real life you have more feedback (g-forces) that let you feel the turn.

In GT5P they exaggerate tire squeal to give the driver feedback. In real life you would feel the G-forces. In some cases sims can be harder than real life because of a lack of feedback. This is one thing I think PD gets right.

Try to play the game with the sound off and you'll see how much harder it gets.

I noticed the same thing. While the tire squeal in all of the GT games (they still use the identical tire squeal sound from the original Gran Turismo!), may sound correct for the lowest grade tires, it certainly isn't the correct sound for race tires. Race tires would squeal WAY less than they do in all GT games.

I like the new sound that occurs when you twist and turn the tires on track (not lose traction). I hate that sound when you lose traction and the wheels burnout, that sound still sucks just like it did in GT4.

yeah the tyre squeals in GT5p are pretty poor and i too preferred the tyre noise in Forza 2. What i'd like is a bit of feed back in the dualshock pad when the tires are losing traction - currently the pad only rumbles when you go over a bump or over the rumble strips.

I always wondered about the tyre squeal too. I just thought it was just because I didn't have my car setup properly for cornering. The AI cars don't squeal anywhere near the same amount during cornering but as I realized I was winning races I gave up worrying

I don't have a problem with it, the tire noise does not bother me one bit and helps to know how close to the edge of losing it for my driving style. I only hear it under EXTREME turning (too fast in or out of a turn) or EXTREME understeer. But then again I am using a G25 and my steering input, speed into turns and timings are spot on so maybe that is why I don't hear it as much. Watch these 2 videos and you will here a lot of tire screeching. Take note at what Jeremy Clarkson says at the 2:31 mark about the WRX on the first video

Those videos serve to point out how far off the sounds are in GT5:P. The tire sound in Forza is FAR closer to that kind of sound. You don't get less tire "squeal" in Forza, it's just more variable and implemented better into the friction code. However, I have a lot of issues with Forza. That needs to be said. They could learn a thing or two from GT when it comes to replays, car selection, oversteer/understeer physics, etc... Yet, they did put a lot of effort into the sounds, and it shows.

;)

Those videos serve to point out how far off the sounds are in GT5:P. The tire sound in Forza is FAR closer to that kind of sound. You don't get less tire "squeal" in Forza, it's just more variable and implemented better into the friction code.

Indeed, the tyre squeal in GT5p is way, way off from reality, tyres just don't sound like that IRL, Forza does a great job of the "friction/scrub" sound that you do get.

Indeed, the tyre squeal in GT5p is way, way off from reality, tyres just don't sound like that IRL, Forza does a great job of the "friction/scrub" sound that you do get.
totally agree, I even prefered EPR's tyre squeel to GT's (so anoying)

i posted another thread about this. but i think a way to fix the squeal is that once the tyre reaches a certain slip angle the squeal stops. They are more like megaphones than tyres. They sound crap. Its the first set of tyres ive heard that compete with the noise of a race car...

Aren't the tire sounds in GT5p the same as in GT4 but without the echos, thus sounding a little bit better than in GT4?

:)

Totally agree i really do hate the tyre squels. hated it in GT4, was hoping it would be better in GT5P but it sounds exactly the same. heres hoping it is sorted for GT5

yeah its not so much the sound itself but the levels. Once a tyre looses so much traction the squeal stops. Obviously it varies from tyre to tyre also, but as a general rule tyres squeal more when they are on the edge of their traction levels. They need to be exaggerated in the game as you loose motion feedback of the car from real life, but the sounds are well off in GT5 and can be done a lot better.

Yeah sure the tyres screech on the vid, but the car isnt getting wheelspin. As i said, on the edge of grip and leading up to with almost all tyres they squeal. Watch a video of a car getting heaps of wheelspin and see how much squealing there is going on. Not to mention the squeal sound in GT4/5p is more like the sound on a polished car park rather than the howl of a tyre about to loose grip.

You can hear from that video the squeal sound changes in pitch and intensity depending on the speed/g-forces/angle/etc... This is what is not done well in GT:P.

In GT5:P we just get a single looped soundbite that changes very slightly in reverberation, but otherwise is just an on-off switch.

;)

I guess it boils down to it being a preference thing. While the sound itself to some might be annoying that wasn't the point I was trying to make, only about the amount of tire squeal, in comparison to real life. I personally don't find the squeal annoying nor excessive, but I guess that comes down to my driving style and setup for the vehicles I use (as stated already). If PD made improvements I would welcome it but I tend to concentrate on the whole race & all aspects more than 1 particular element, but can agree with Delphics last point about the differences in pitch & intensity.

GT5P tire squeals are less irritating then in GT4 so far in my opinion. Could be because everything else that is going on helps distract from the sound. It would be nice to have an option to turn down the sound level of tires and keep engine sound at normal levels.

Back