Exeter GT Tuning

• Thread starter shaunm80
  • 935 comments
I’m curious, why such strange PP target?
It wasn’t a target as such. I put in the power parts I wanted and trying to lower pp in engine swapped cars is difficult. Only ballast. Ride height or tyres actually make a big difference and nothing looked good or worked well so I left it as it came.

Toyota MR2 GT-S '97 650PP (Engine Swap Tune)
The snap oversteer lives! It took me until the 5th lap to get it under control, so definitely a learning curve with this car. I feel I could race this course 2 more times and make steady improvements. Throttle and brake timing and application are the keys to avoid this. Fortunately, releasing the throttle almost always eliminates the oversteer, so its forgiving in that regard. The brakes are OK, you just have to use them a bit sooner to keep you out of trouble entering turns. Fuel consumption is a bit curious, at FM5 I was barely getting 3 laps, whereas with FM1, 2 laps was a breeze. This may very well have been a by-product of me adjusting to the throttle however. Overall just under 32:00 and best lap of 4:15:580, I think 4:10 is within range.

Porsche 911 Turbo (930) '81 600PP
Wonderful drive. Its impressive fuel economy really makes this a great competitor at Sarthe.

Very minimal adjustments to get this up to 700. RH tires, R-H to 104/103, WR 2&3, all the usual bolt-on Racing items, L RPM Turbo (the torque boost is nice for keeping up coming out of turns) and room for the ALS to be set at Strong (could be traded out for more grip, but this car has so much grip already).

While the top speed and acceleration are not great, its traction and planted read end really make it shine, it is very hard to cut her loose. Braking is spotty, do not miss your brake points or you can find yourself in trouble quickly. Maybe the best benefit is that its just slow enough so as not to trigger the worst of weather conditions, a slight drizzle with a bar or so of water on L3 were no problem at all (I lost 8.5-9 secs on the lap) and I was able to stay on the same tires for the entire race.

This will definitely be a ’repeat offender’ for me at Sarthe.

5479ABFE-2BB3-46AA-9725-26FA32CEFE26.jpeg
6C651D53-315A-443A-9EDD-272C7E8E0CDF.jpeg

Porsche 911 GT3 (996) '01 650PP
Having run this tune directly after the 930, there is no way around doing a direct comparison between the two. It takes everything the 930 does and makes it like 7% better. Literally, every single category except acceleration (the turbo I’m sure) and I had to check the tuning sheets to confirm that suspicion.

There were enough variants to the base tune that I felt it appropriate to show my changes, although this largely revolved around the fact that I preferred the standard wing and didn’t see a need for more grip.

The top speed is about 8-9 MPH better and the rear end is even more planted, hammer the throttle out of a turn and just take off, its exhilarating to say the least. Any issue I had with the 930’s brakes is completely absent in this car and the braking feels spot-on. The fuel economy is also noticeably better, whereas I got 3 laps at FM6 and 2 at FM2 in the 930, the 996 gave me 3 at 5 and 2 at 1. There was even less rain in this race and never more than half a bar on the track, but it felt better and I was definitely able to push her a bit more.

The only other thing of note is that I prefer the 930‘s look as it feels more classic 911 to me. This is a highly recommended competitor at Sarthe and practically drives itself. Fabulous tune!

14590236-AD65-4AA3-A6A6-8AF8DDBB394F.jpeg

E6CEE298-A14C-41F4-BCC1-780DADA7BCFF.jpeg

4795B0A6-0AD1-486C-92BC-BA5265A2AB62.jpeg
14174871-66D6-4B87-8DE9-60117184256F.jpeg

My ’hot lap’ should’ve been at least .8, maybe even 1.8 better, I braked too hard setting up for the final chicane and caught a bad angle as a result.

The snap oversteer lives! It took me until the 5th lap to get it under control, so definitely a learning curve with this car. I feel I could race this course 2 more times and make steady improvements. Throttle and brake timing and application are the keys to avoid this. Fortunately, releasing the throttle almost always eliminates the oversteer, so its forgiving in that regard. The brakes are OK, you just have to use them a bit sooner to keep you out of trouble entering turns. Fuel consumption is a bit curious, at FM5 I was barely getting 3 laps, whereas with FM1, 2 laps was a breeze. This may very well have been a by-product of me adjusting to the throttle however. Overall just under 32:00 and best lap of 4:15:580, I think 4:10 is within range.
On the original tune with the SS tyres, I didn't notice this. I think perhaps I tuned it to the limits of what the SS tyres could handle with the engine swap power. I just found this car was a point and squirt car when coming out the corners. I don't test many road cars on RH tyres though. Have you tried this tune without the changes for this race to see if you get the same thing? Be interesting to know if I just drive differently and that's why I don't notice these things.
Wonderful drive. Its impressive fuel economy really makes this a great competitor at Sarthe.

Very minimal adjustments to get this up to 700. RH tires, R-H to 104/103, WR 2&3, all the usual bolt-on Racing items, L RPM Turbo (the torque boost is nice for keeping up coming out of turns) and room for the ALS to be set at Strong (could be traded out for more grip, but this car has so much grip already).

While the top speed and acceleration are not great, its traction and planted read end really make it shine, it is very hard to cut her loose. Braking is spotty, do not miss your brake points or you can find yourself in trouble quickly. Maybe the best benefit is that its just slow enough so as not to trigger the worst of weather conditions, a slight drizzle with a bar or so of water on L3 were no problem at all (I lost 8.5-9 secs on the lap) and I was able to stay on the same tires for the entire race.

This will definitely be a ’repeat offender’ for me at Sarthe.

View attachment 1174136View attachment 1174137
Ah, I see you found some of the gems of the garage. I did go through a phase of perfecting Porsche cars. The old models do look amazing and I gave the best handling physics (realistic in todays terms) I could. Excellent win indeed.
Having run this tune directly after the 930, there is no way around doing a direct comparison between the two. It takes everything the 930 does and makes it like 7% better. Literally, every single category except acceleration (the turbo I’m sure) and I had to check the tuning sheets to confirm that suspicion.

There were enough variants to the base tune that I felt it appropriate to show my changes, although this largely revolved around the fact that I preferred the standard wing and didn’t see a need for more grip.

The top speed is about 8-9 MPH better and the rear end is even more planted, hammer the throttle out of a turn and just take off, its exhilarating to say the least. Any issue I had with the 930’s brakes is completely absent in this car and the braking feels spot-on. The fuel economy is also noticeably better, whereas I got 3 laps at FM6 and 2 at FM2 in the 930, the 996 gave me 3 at 5 and 2 at 1. There was even less rain in this race and never more than half a bar on the track, but it felt better and I was definitely able to push her a bit more.

The only other thing of note is that I prefer the 930‘s look as it feels more classic 911 to me. This is a highly recommended competitor at Sarthe and practically drives itself. Fabulous tune!

View attachment 1174195
View attachment 1174194
View attachment 1174196View attachment 1174197

My ’hot lap’ should’ve been at least .8, maybe even 1.8 better, I braked too hard setting up for the final chicane and caught a bad angle as a result.
The 01 and 09 porsche are nearly identical in the handling/speed department. Both are so planted at the back that you can trust this car on virtually any track in the game. A really useful car for a lot of races this game throws at you. Glad to see you are enjoying the Porsche collection. The living legend is pure joy to drive, just likes a good old drink and fuel consumption is extremely high.

Audi R18 '16 950PP

Racing Medium Tyres

A fast, safe and easy to drive Gr.1 car. Ignore the fact it says RH on the tune sheet name. it is tuned on RM tyres. I am just to lazy to retake pictures with the matching text.

Audi R18 '16 950PP-1.jpg

Audi R18 '16 950PP-2.jpg

Transmission
Set TS to 360
Set gear ratios as per image
Set FG as per image. Can be adjusted for various tracks.

Audi R18 '16 950PP-3.jpg

Audi R18 '16 950PP-4.jpg

Dodge SRT Tomahawk (VGT) Gr.1 950PP

Racing Medium Tyres

A safe, fast and fun Gr.1 car. Has a lot of grip to help inspire confidence when flooring the loud pedal round long corners. Also part of the VGT range so has multiple race uses.

Dodge SRT Tomahawk VGT (Gr.1) 950PP-1.jpg

Dodge SRT Tomahawk VGT (Gr.1) 950PP-2.jpg

Transmission
Set TS to 360
Set gear ratio as per image
Set FG as per image

Dodge SRT Tomahawk VGT (Gr.1) 950PP-3.jpg

Dodge SRT Tomahawk VGT (Gr.1) 950PP-4.jpg

Mazda 787B '91 950PP

Racing Medium Tyres

After I spent time putting this engine in a road car, I decided I had to actually tune the official car too. This car is awesome quick and fun to drive. Safe and balanced on all tracks. Enjoy!

Mazda 787B '91 950PP-1.jpg

Mazda 787B '91 950PP-2.jpg

Transmission
Set TS to 360
Set FG as per image

Mazda 787B '91 950PP-3.jpg

Mazda 787B '91 950PP-4.jpg

On the original tune with the SS tyres, I didn't notice this. I think perhaps I tuned it to the limits of what the SS tyres could handle with the engine swap power. I just found this car was a point and squirt car when coming out the corners. I don't test many road cars on RH tyres though. Have you tried this tune without the changes for this race to see if you get the same thing? Be interesting to know if I just drive differently and that's why I don't notice these things.

If you are referring to the Le Mans 700pp event, it allows racing tyres only.

Because there’s no cash cow for a 650pp car I’m yet to try this one.

Honda NSX Concept-GT '16 800PP

Racing Hrad Tyres

This car is designed to beat the Sardegna Road Race winning you over 700000 credits, in a car that costs not much more than the winnings you'll get. I tested it myself and it makes this race very easy considering this is the cheap car option for that race. It is safe to drive, fast enough to lap at 1.42-1.43s every lap and allows you to only stop once for fuel in the race.

For those of you who want a money method to get more expensive cars, you could do worse than buy this car and grind the Sardegna race to get all those expensive motors.

Strategy for the race was
FM5 for 3 laps.
FM4 until you pit for fuel around lap 9/10 depending on your fuel saving.
fuel 100% and new tyres if you want (not really needed)
FM4 for 1-2 laps.
Keep going down the fuel maps as the laps disappear. You will see from your laps left on the fuel gauge how much you can increase the power.

Honda NSX Concept-GT '16 800PP-1.jpg

Honda NSX Concept-GT '16 800PP-2.jpg

Transmission
Set TS to 320
Set FG as per image

Honda NSX Concept-GT '16 800PP-3.jpg

Honda NSX Concept-GT '16 800PP-4.jpg

The proof pudding

Honda NSX Concept-GT 800pp-WS.jpg

Honda NSX Concept-GT '16 900PP

Racing Medium Tyres

A full blown steroid induced Gr.2 version of the NSX car. Extremely fast, agile and fun to drive. A great car all round.

Honda NSX Concept-GT '16 900PP-1.jpg

Honda NSX Concept-GT '16 900PP-2.jpg

Transmission
Set TS to 320
Set FG as per image

Honda NSX Concept-GT '16 900PP-3.jpg

Honda NSX Concept-GT '16 900PP-4.jpg

If you are referring to the Le Mans 700pp event, it allows racing tyres only.

Because there’s no cash cow for a 650pp car I’m yet to try this one.
I am waiting for the 650PP cash cow race. I have a few nice cars in that range now. You can give this car a blast around the Turbo Sports events and they can pay semi-okay for a short number of laps.

I know I raced this pre-swap on multiple occasions, although it's possible I used someone else's tune. I do remember people talking about the snap and thinking I never had the problem, but that was back when I was still using TCS, so who knows?
Ah, I see you found some of the gems of the garage. I did go through a phase of perfecting Porsche cars. The old models do look amazing and I gave the best handling physics (realistic in todays terms) I could. Excellent win indeed.

The 01 and 09 porsche are nearly identical in the handling/speed department. Both are so planted at the back that you can trust this car on virtually any track in the game. A really useful car for a lot of races this game throws at you. Glad to see you are enjoying the Porsche collection. The living legend is pure joy to drive, just likes a good old drink and fuel consumption is extremely high.
There are so many 911's and other Porsches in my garage that I just kind of forgot about them after that Schwarzweld (whatever it's called) Menu Book. I might continue on today tuning any others up that I haven't done yet.

I know I raced this pre-swap on multiple occasions, although it's possible I used someone else's tune. I do remember people talking about the snap and thinking I never had the problem, but that was back when I was still using TCS, so who knows?

There are so many 911's and other Porsches in my garage that I just kind of forgot about them after that Schwarzweld (whatever it's called) Menu Book. I might continue on today tuning any others up that I haven't done yet.
There are a lot of 911s in the game. I have tuned nearly all the ones out so far. Every Porsche in my garage is a dream to drive for me. They all have great handling and are as safe as houses.

Porsche Carrera RS (964) '92 550PP
Whoa boy, a bit different experience from the 2 I sampled yesterday. I’m guessing a lot of this has to do with the lack of aero/downforce primarily. The rear is not glued to the tarmac and mashing the throttle does not work with this car. The biggest drawback for me was the braking, it is really not up to snuff. The economy remains OK, but not on-par with what I’ve come to expect. The wet (and I do mean WET, 2 bars for the better part of 2 laps) weather performance I felt was pretty good, so there is that.

I know its a lot to simply tune a car up to 700 and to achieve the desired results, this one definitely feels as if it needs a specific tune for 700…or maybe it just doesn’t want to perform at that level.

6876E486-F05D-41B0-BDC7-52A5DD8C1F71.jpeg

EDIT: Disregard, leaving this here so that when I properly review this car I’ll have a reference of what I once thought.

Last edited:
Porsche 911 Carrera RS (993) '95 600PP
Darn it, I’m going to withhold my review on this car until I can purchase a fresh one and build it closer to spec. Its just too different to write up an accurate analysis otherwise. Both this and the 964 were fully built, so to try and make them fit in a box they weren’t meant to fit in isn’t appropriate.

I actually ran out of gas twice in this race, my mind was just not in it.

0FE4BE46-05CE-47A7-84D4-0133025971B9.jpeg

Honda NSX Concept-GT '16 800PP

Racing Hrad Tyres

This car is designed to beat the Sardegna Road Race winning you over 700000 credits, in a car that costs not much more than the winnings you'll get. I tested it myself and it makes this race very easy considering this is the cheap car option for that race. It is safe to drive, fast enough to lap at 1.42-1.43s every lap and allows you to only stop once for fuel in the race.

For those of you who want a money method to get more expensive cars, you could do worse than buy this car and grind the Sardegna race to get all those expensive motors.

Strategy for the race was
FM5 for 3 laps.
FM4 until you pit for fuel around lap 9/10 depending on your fuel saving.
fuel 100% and new tyres if you want (not really needed)
FM4 for 1-2 laps.
Keep going down the fuel maps as the laps disappear. You will see from your laps left on the fuel gauge how much you can increase the power.

View attachment 1174522
View attachment 1174523

Transmission
Set TS to 320
Set FG as per image

View attachment 1174524
View attachment 1174525

The proof pudding

View attachment 1174526
Awesome tune like always! First time driving this car and it feels like it’s on racing med tires with this tune. I got my fastest time of all cars on this track with your tune, thanks. If you have a chance can you do a Mazda 787B tune for this track?

Attachments

• DA508EF6-4AB7-4638-8E13-B2962C8DFBC0.jpeg
    DA508EF6-4AB7-4638-8E13-B2962C8DFBC0.jpeg
    192.1 KB · Views: 21
Awesome tune like always! First time driving this car and it feels like it’s on racing med tires with this tune. I got my fastest time of all cars on this track with your tune, thanks. If you have a chance can you do a Mazda 787B tune for this track?
Just reduce the ecu power to get to 800pp. If needed, Add 50kgs ballast keeping the weight distribution. The tune I made earlier should work at the lower range with rh tyres.

Thanks for testing out the nsx too. Really happy you got on with it.

Last edited:
Just reduce the ecu power to get to 800pp. If needed, Add 50kgs ballast keeping the weight distribution. The tune I made earlier should work at the lower range with rh tyres.

Ok, thank you.

Not the fastest lap, but the fastest race.

Attachments

• DAB53C1D-6E5C-435A-AA74-77B8B4EC780D.jpeg
    DAB53C1D-6E5C-435A-AA74-77B8B4EC780D.jpeg
    147.8 KB · Views: 28

View attachment 1174195
View attachment 1174194
View attachment 1174196View attachment 1174197

LOL, accidentally purchased the wrong cars (996 & 997) for retesting. I’ll have to wait on the UCD for the 964 & 993. In the meantime, better pay these 2 off.

F1F744F0-4B3A-4968-B124-0B67F2AFFDA8.jpeg

Absolutely smoked my previous lap times.

A32F5C8C-6A1A-4445-A426-76E70C7A8169.jpeg

Smoked my overall time too!

632905B9-0EC4-45E2-98C1-AF37390134B4.jpeg
341C0D2D-8DAB-4F8D-B03C-16A0E316A24F.jpeg

I took some obvious liberties with the upgrades to get it to 700, but left the general tune intact.

A couple questions on the 991 before I get on the track. There was no aero added to the car at all, no wide body either? Second, was WR4 omitted intentionally or did you not notice it was available?

A couple questions on the 991 before I get on the track. There was no aero added to the car at all, no wide body either? Second, was WR4 omitted intentionally or did you not notice it was available?
I didn't wide body every car as I wanted more power than looks. Porsche cars look better stock sometimes in my opinion so I left it that way. As for weight reduction, it was purely about having more power for the driving experience than a lightweight and less power version of the same car. Weight reduction 4 does add a lot of PP to any car.

Porsche 911 GT3 (997) '09 650PP
Easy driver, difficult to get into trouble with this one. Fuel economy was REALLY good, might be even better with a custom gearbox, 3 laps at FM4 and 1 at 1. A bit slower than some of its kin, a box might clean that up as well. Very slight adjustments to your tune, sheet included.

89ADD59C-D2CC-4010-B088-B9EA8636D7EA.jpeg
BF8AC989-DA0A-46CE-A26B-6C84A11F6008.jpeg

4F1F4834-C703-4485-853C-CA51D108DC9B.jpeg

3FC6E488-941A-4A39-95B3-140ABD9481C1.jpeg

Stole the gearbox from the 996. A bit less power, but if the acceleration times are accurate, it should be an improvement. Probably won’t have time to test it today as I’d like to give the 991 a shot before I find something else to do.

Ran a couple test laps, fuel economy seems equal. It now shifts into 6th at 165 MPH instead of 180 and the top speed on the track is up to 187 fro 181. The custom box is the way to go IMO.

A4096FA5-541B-4418-AD42-D8FA170281A6.jpeg

FM4, equal lap time

90D64FB2-BEF4-4E40-9CFE-EF73F870330F.jpeg

FM1, improved lap time

Last edited:

Interesting. Whats your stance on reducing PP using ECU or power restrictor and/or ballast. Guessing reduce ECU to 70 if needed before touching power restrictor? Not sure what difference really is. So if you had to reduce pp 50 or whatever, you;d always reduce ecu to 70, or from your knowledge of the game, cars etc sometimes reduce to 85, then restrictor by 10, ballast by 50 (keep orginal weight distro the same) etc. Plucking numbers out the air, but hopefully clear what I'm getting at :D

Would you always follow set routine of restricting using ecu, then ballast to max, then restrictor or whatever order you use. Or are there situations depending on track, car etc you'd follow another formula?

Also with gear boxes,is it simply a case that racing manual allows full customization of ratios, or all ratios/things being equal theres no performance gain, just purely customization flexibility that you pay for with racing box? Clutch/Flyweels make 'performance' enhancement to efficiency, speed of actually changing gears, not losing more momentum than necessary?

Last edited:
Porsche 911 GT3 RS (991) '16 700PP
I tinkered with the gearbox a fair bit to improve the mileage, but I can’t squeeze 3 laps out of it no matter what I try. Also, I couldn’t get to your acceleration numbers (a full .5s slower in the KM), even with a direct copy, so maybe I screwed up somewhere else along the way.

Excellent in the corners was the highlight for me, I just wish the mileage was better.

Toyota GR Yaris RZ "High Performance" '20 650PP
A fun and engaging drive, held back by pretty bad economy (FM5 for just 2 laps), which is surprising and quite a let-down. It is fast enough to make up for this shortcoming, but it still feels like a bit of a miss. She does not like RH’s on a wet track either, handles great with IM’s though. Those 2 combined make it a bit iffy at Sarthe, where both can be crucial to success. That said, the car is VERY forgiving and makes it quite easy to correct mistakes. Very fast under the right conditions and should be able to turn sub-4:10’s, so maybe some hope for redemption yet. Tune is solid, no complaints there what-so-ever.

I don’t understand why they cripple some of these swaps with such poor fuel economy. The same engine in a lighter car, nearly 850 pounds in this case, should ALWAYS yield improved fuel burn, that’s just basic physics.

C7993284-8F54-4351-ACC0-E61E659BF5E0.jpeg

Then again, as I look at the mini-map and realize I almost lapped the entire field…maybe I should stop whinging.

Back