Extra Books = paid loot boxes (by proxy)?

• Thread starter tankuroded
  • 46 comments
I posted that (which appears to be universal everywhere I look) because it matches exactly what I saw in Star Wars battlefront II (A game I actually own) and what I saw in multiple games: Spending real money directly on a randomized box hoping it gives you the prize you want. So reading just what the OP said and further reiteration, it did not at all line up with what I had seen and it just seemed like a overly convoluted stretch (Especially when said tickets, which are the randomized item, cannot be directly purchased with real money). Having refamiliarized myself with the books since I haven't seen a video with them in a while and looking at it, I still feel like its abit out there to look at it as a Loot Box Mechanic. If it is, the only portion I see even relating to it is the spending part (which is also what you do for Optional DLC or Microtransactions or pay-to-win). This just feels like a very lackluster design that is argued could be sped up with buying a car for real money instead of using in-game currency to get said cars but even then when you really think about, its not really anymore convenient as you're still stuck having to do the races (and read the Oscar worthy dialogue) in order to complete the task instead of cutting out multiple very unsettling looking Middleman by just throwing money in to bypass all that work.
I definitely agree that the OP is wrong, the tickets are not close to paid loot boxes. I just don't agree that loot boxes are only loot boxes if they can be purchased with real money, I think that they are predatory loot mechanics and combine loot boxes with MTX's. But I'm happy to agree to disagree on that and I agree on your main point regarding the OP.

I posted that (which appears to be universal everywhere I look) because it matches exactly what I saw in Star Wars battlefront II (A game I actually own) and what I saw in multiple games: Spending real money directly on a randomized box hoping it gives you the prize you want. So reading just what the OP said and further reiteration, it did not at all line up with what I had seen and it just seemed like a overly convoluted stretch (Especially when said tickets, which are the randomized item, cannot be directly purchased with real money). Having refamiliarized myself with the books since I haven't seen a video with them in a while and looking at it, I still feel like its abit out there to look at it as a Loot Box Mechanic. If it is, the only portion I see even relating to it is the spending part (which is also what you do for Optional DLC or Microtransactions or pay-to-win). This just feels like a very lackluster design that is argued could be sped up with buying a car for real money instead of using in-game currency to get said cars but even then when you really think about, its not really anymore convenient as you're still stuck having to do the races (and read the Oscar worthy dialogue) in order to complete the task instead of cutting out multiple very unsettling looking Middleman by just throwing money in to bypass all that work.

This is precisely why I take issue with this. At worst, this just seems like an ineffective game design that doesn't seem beneficial for literally anyone (Obviously, the people keep making it clear that they don't like it and I certainly couldn't see Activision or Rockstar finding this convenient when they are all about draining you dry in the fastest and efficient means possible at the moment) so its odd to even link this mechanic purely based on something as broad as spending (Real or in-game).
I think you are missing the point slightly and are stuck on the part where you cannot purchase the roulette tickets directly.

The op is saying that the extra menu books are stealth ways of adding paid loot boxes / loot boxes by proxy.

And it’s exactly that. Yes, to your point; you do not HAVE to use real money to unlock these. I have unlocked all of these (in fact I own all of cars) without spending a cent on mtx.
But… but you CAN spend real money to earn these.

The roulette tickets themselves are a loot box mechanic. Exclusive items locked behind a RNG system but you cannot directly purchase them. Surely that part isn’t up for debate?

The only reason’s you say they are not loot boxes, is becuase they cannot be purchased directly, only earnt and you can’t buy multiple of them at a time. The definintion posted earlier, states that they can be earnt and free rewards. Roulette tickets are clearly loot boxes.

Now the ‘by stealth’ or ‘by proxy’ part is where you seem to be really stuck. These extra menus souly require you own 3 cars. You can win a few of these cars but others are only available to purchase, using credits. Just to be clear, GT7 has the longest grind of any gt game to earn credits and earn every car in the game (also a fact)

What PD have done here (to maximise their obvious f2p modle) is circumnavigated the law to prevent people directly purchasing their loot boxes but instead - make it so you have the ability to purchase a loot box by proxy, via the credit system.

Ie: Spending real money on credits —-> to buy cars ——> to obtain a premium teir loot box.

Again: you don’t HAVE to use real money for this but people do. The economy in GT7 is designed to push people to use their wallet to skip the grind… which they have also designed to be long and boring.

I wouldn’t open my wallet for this but others do. I would however, put my real money on the line and bet that PD’s mtx sales increase with every months pitiful update… becuase people will be opting to skip the grind to purchase the new cars and some will be doing the same to complete the xtra menus.

Please note- the f2p model doesn’t try to get everybody to purchase mtx, it preys on a small percentage of people as this makes them the most money - another fact - feel free to look this up yourself.

To reiterate: The below thing shows exactly how this is paid loot boxes by stealth. It’s not as bad as some games but it still works in the same way - it just limits the available amount per month and removes the abiltity to directly buy them.

Spending real money on credits —-> to buy cars ——> to obtain a premium teir loot box.

Newer players will be even more likely to purchase mtx as they will have more ticket’s (extra menu’s) available at once, not just a few a month like the early adopters.

I would suggest this is all a set up for this game to become apart of the premium ps+ - by in which, this game will be ‘free’ and still create a large revenue.

Last edited:
Unless you can buy roulette tickets en-masse directly there’s no paid loot boxes, end of.

That said, the way they’ve been designed really seems like at some point during development PD were intending to have tickets as purchasable in-game commodities. I feel like bans on lootboxes in some regions/nations (iirc Belgium, Netherlands, and maybe Italy?) may have dissuaded/prevented them to do so.

Last edited:
That said, the way they’ve been designed really seems like at some point during development PD were intending to have tickets as purchasable in-game commodities. I feel like bans on lootboxes in some regions/nations (iirc Belgium, Netherlands, maybe and maybe Italy?) may have dissuaded/prevented them if so.
I actually did wonder if there's in-game code for such behavior that went dummied out, by the way...

Unless you can buy roulette tickets en-masse directly there’s no paid loot boxes, end of.

That said, the way they’ve been designed really seems like at some point during development PD were intending to have tickets as purchasable in-game commodities. I feel like bans on lootboxes in some regions/nations (iirc Belgium, Netherlands, maybe and maybe Italy?) may have dissuaded/prevented them if so.
Firstly, how is that end of?
If there was only one loot box ever in a game, it would by definition… still be a loot box. A pointless and invalid arguemnt.

Plus….

PD are releasing more and more of these ‘extra’ menu’s… so that makes your point even more moot.

Imagine being a new user to GT7… you want to try out this awesome new engine swap feature in GT7… you’ve been playing for a couple of weeks and you’re finding it hard and slow to obtain a large amount of credits (becuase, we’ll, GT is designed that way) and you’ve seen that you can win new engines in these roulette tickets that you have obtained but have never been lucky enough to win one.

You stumble accross the extra menu’s and see that their are a few that get you a guaranteed 6 star engine roulette ticket. You don’t have the cars on the list and you’ve just spent off your credits on something in the LCD. So you buy some credits and use those to purchase the cars to obtain this roulette ticket….

It’s not one of the engine’s you wanted, drat! Ohwell, better buy some more credits to purchase the cars for other menu book and have another go!

And so on and so forth until they have run out of menu tickets to earn… but thankfully there will be one next month for them to try their luck again!

It’s 100% loot box’s by stealth and in a way where it’s legal.

Last edited:
Paid loot boxes.
Firstly, how is that end of?
If there was only one loot box ever in a game, it would by definition… still be a loot box. A pointless and invalid arguemnt.
There’s a difference. Every roulette ticket is a loot box. But, you can’t exchange real currency for tickets, you can only buy in-game currency with real world currency, but you can’t then exchange in game currency for tickets. There’s no method to spend real money for tickets (loot boxes), and gamble, which is the whole issue/legality/morality deal with paid loot boxes, which this thread title is trying to claim is related to new menu books. There are no paid loot boxes in GT7 even with the furthest stretches.
Plus….

PD are releasing more and more of these ‘extra’ menu’s… so that makes your point even more moot.
How does that connect? You still can’t buy the tickets.
Imagine being a new user to GT7… you want to try out this awesome new engine swap feature in GT7… you’ve been playing for a couple of weeks and you’re finding it hard and slow to obtain a large amount of credits (becuase, we’ll, GT is designed that way) and you’ve seen that you can win new engines in these roulette tickets that you have obtained but have never been lucky enough to win one.
Cool. You can’t buy tickets or increase drop rates with money or credits.
You stumble accross the extra menu’s and see that their are a few that get you a guaranteed 6 star engine roulette ticket. You don’t have the cars on the list and you’ve just spent off your credits on something in the LCD. So you buy some credits and use those to purchase the cars to obtain this roulette ticket….
You bring up buying credits for expensive cars in the extra menus, and the same paragraph you’re ranting about spending lots of credits on an expensive legends car.

Fundamentally the issue here is poor game economy and gameplay-loop balancing. In the example you laid out, you didn’t choose to spend real money to get additional lootboxes, you chose to fast track how you unlocked specific one-time reward loot boxes that can be gotten the same way with gameplay. You could swap what the MT credits were paying for, and instead you now fast tracked buying a legends car. You can also do this to speed through the main campaign instead of playing races to win the normal menu cars, it’s the exact same system, exchanging played gameplay for paid game progress.

You can’t spend real money and get any more lootboxes, gamble for additional rewards, or increase drop rates more than what can be earned via normal gameplay. No paid loot boxes or gambling.
It’s not one of the engine’s you wanted, drat! Ohwell, better buy some more credits to purchase the cars for other menu book and have another go!

And so on and so forth until they have run out of menu tickets to earn… but thankfully there will be one next month for them to try their luck again!

It’s 100% loot box’s by stealth and in a way where it’s legal.
So, the issue is the engine and ticket system itself, having the rare parts locked exclusively behind a chance drop rate system and with no other way to acquire them than daily sign in and the few one-time bonus rewards.

It has nothing to do with paid loot boxes, you can’t pay money and influence anything with the tickets other than how much less time you spend to acquire them, which already isn’t that much for most of them. No extra tickets, no extra drop rates.

The ticket (loot box) system sucking has been beaten to death here since launch (and also isn’t stealthy, it’s one of the most basic and common loot box formats in modern gaming). The extra menus really only serve as a band aid to a gaping wound that is a lot of GT7’s inherit design and balancing, not some financial gambling push. I don’t think anyone likes it, we just gotta keep praying PD hears that from the community and recognizes the flaw. They certainly aren’t profiting from it, because you can’t buy them. They are profiting from the bad game economy though because it encourages purchasing credits to buy the legend cars to skip long and intentionally-boring/repetitive gameplay.

Everything I said originally was refuting that there’s a way to pay for loot boxes/gambling, as the thread is titled, because there isn’t.

Last edited:
Ehmm no?

If we could buy roulette tickets with real money it would be a very definition of a loot box, but considering that sheer amount of hate GT7 is getting for the most useless MTX ever added to a game i am not surprised that we are getting posts like this.

Paid loot boxes.

There’s a difference. Every roulette ticket is a loot box. But, you can’t exchange real currency for tickets, you can only buy in-game currency with real world currency, but you can’t then exchange in game currency for tickets. There’s no method to spend real money for tickets (loot boxes), and gamble, which is the whole issue/legality/morality deal with paid loot boxes, which this thread title is trying to claim is related to new menu books. There are no paid loot boxes in GT7 even with the furthest stretches.

How does that connect? You still can’t buy the tickets.

Cool. You can’t buy tickets or increase drop rates with money or credits.

You bring up buying credits for expensive cars in the extra menus, and the same paragraph you’re ranting about spending lots of credits on an expensive legends car.

Fundamentally the issue here is poor game economy and gameplay-loop balancing. In the example you laid out, you didn’t choose to spend real money to get additional lootboxes, you chose to fast track how you unlocked specific one-time reward loot boxes that can be gotten the same way with gameplay. You could swap what the MT credits were paying for, and instead you now fast tracked buying a legends car. You can also do this to speed through the main campaign instead of playing races to win the normal menu cars, it’s the exact same system, exchanging played gameplay for paid game progress.

You can’t spend real money and get any more lootboxes, gamble for additional rewards, or increase drop rates more than what can be earned via normal gameplay. No paid loot boxes or gambling.

So, the issue is the engine and ticket system itself, having the rare parts locked exclusively behind a chance drop rate system and with no other way to acquire them than daily sign in and the few one-time bonus rewards.

It has nothing to do with paid loot boxes, you can’t pay money and influence anything with the tickets other than how much less time you spend to acquire them, which already isn’t that much for most of them. No extra tickets, no extra drop rates.

The ticket (loot box) system sucking has been beaten to death here since launch (and also isn’t stealthy, it’s one of the most basic and common loot box formats in modern gaming). The extra menus really only serve as a band aid to a gaping wound that is a lot of GT7’s inherit design and balancing, not some financial gambling push. I don’t think anyone likes it, we just gotta keep praying PD hears that from the community and recognizes the flaw. They certainly aren’t profiting from it, because you can’t buy them. They are profiting from the bad game economy though because it encourages purchasing credits to buy the legend cars to skip long and intentionally-boring/repetitive gameplay.

Everything I said originally was refuting that there’s a way to pay for loot boxes/gambling, as the thread is titled, because there isn’t.
Really missing the point.

Firstly - it’s not poor design balance.
The game’s currency is purposely designed to push people to mtx in the first place. If was a poor balancing issue, it would be fixed by now but it’s blatently obvious a f2p modle.

There roulette tickets are not directly paid for. I’ve not said that and neither has the op. The point is that the combination of the games currency design with the roulette tickets (Ie: loot boxes) have created a proxy paid loot box.

Roulette tickets are loot boxes. Surely no one is disputing this still?

You can ‘earn’ the loot boxes by purchasing credits.

Therefore: you can pay for the loot boxes with real money.

Ergo: paid loot boxes by proxy.
(I get the feeling that you don’t understand what ‘by proxy’ means… especially when you laid out that you can buy the loot tickets by proxy in your message lol)

Anyone that thinks this is just poor design choices clearly cannot see how this game is designed almost exactly like a f2p game and they do not understand that these desicions are not by accident.

Any accidents / glitches get patched out. The only accident PD made was making the payouts too high on release and they patched this out but they had to backtrack on this due to community backlash.

Again - look up how mtx work - only a small percentage of players actually purchase mtx and cleerly you and I are not in that percentage. You cannot buy loot boxes directly in GT7 but there are a small percentage of players do… and since the mtx prices are so high, PD make loads of money off it.

It’s a clear fact that you ‘can’ purchase the engine / special parts roulette tickets via the extra menu’s. It’s just done by proxy by buying credits to then buy the car… that unlocks the loot box…. Therefore you have paid for the loot box - by proxy, just as the title suggests.

Last edited:
You could swap what the MT credits were paying for, and instead you now fast tracked buying a legends car.
You do know that the C2 Corvette (Corvette extra book) and Porsche 550 (Mid-engine Porsche extra book) are LCD cars, right? By buying them, you are contributing to the respective extra book, ergo you are also indirectly fast-tracking the Extra Book and thus the road to the ticket.
For clarity, I added the word "by proxy" to this threads' title.

---

EDIT: One thing in factor is that how free-only loot boxes (like GT7 has currently) is currently exempt from any loot box regulations, including being exempt from odds disclosure mandates.

Last edited:
Firstly - it’s not poor design balance.
The game’s currency is purposely designed to push people to mtx in the first place.
These two things are not mutually exclusive.

In fact you… literally just described bad design balance.
If was a poor balancing issue, it would be fixed by now but it’s blatently obvious a f2p modle.
No, it is a balancing issue, and they can fix it, and have been able to since launch. It’s unbalanced by design to funnel people towards microtransactions, and they (either PD, Sony, or both) are financially incentivized to leave it unbalanced to keep up the flow of microtransactions.

Perhaps a better way to phrase it is that’s its unbalanced from a gameplay/players perspective, but “balanced” from a greedy developer/publisher’s perspective. It’s by design, and it’s a bad design for us.
There roulette tickets are not directly paid for. I’ve not said that and neither has the op. The point is that the combination of the games currency design with the roulette tickets (Ie: loot boxes) have created a proxy paid loot box.
But I already outlined how it isn’t an indirect/proxy thing either, because it’s a one time campaign reward that is earned via gameplay. The “proxy” you describe is merely a time-saving exercise. There’s no extra bonus or unattainable gap closed by spending money. A user can have the intent to use MTX credits to buy cars for a bonus menu, but fundamentally the system isn’t a paid lootbox, because it can’t be done ad-nauseam for a continuous exchange of reward.
Roulette tickets are loot boxes. Surely no one is disputing this still?
There’s a difference. Every roulette ticket is a loot box.
Nope, didn’t dispute, literally already said it.

You can ‘earn’ the loot boxes by purchasing credits.

Therefore: you can pay for the loot boxes with real money.

Ergo: paid loot boxes by proxy.
(I get the feeling that you don’t understand what ‘by proxy’ means… especially when you laid out that you can buy the loot tickets by proxy in your message lol)
You can pay for credits to pay for cars that complete a one-time, non-repeatable campaign reward…

You can pay to fast track your way to a single loot box. Or you can not pay, and get the same exact single loot box. I’m going to say this again:

A user can have the intent to use MTX credits to buy cars for a bonus menu, but fundamentally the system isn’t a paid lootbox, because it can’t be done ad-nauseam for a continuous exchange of reward.
Anyone that thinks this is just poor design choices clearly cannot see how this game is designed almost exactly like a f2p game and they do not understand that these desicions are not by accident.
Again, they can (and in this case absolutely are) one and the same thing. Bad design by choice.
Any accidents / glitches get patched out. The only accident PD made was making the payouts too high on release and they patched this out but they had to backtrack on this due to community backlash.
Bad design comes from either incompetence or ulterior motives. Bottlenecking payouts is bad design, and a common F2P design with intent to funnel players to MTX.
Again - look up how mtx work - only a small percentage of players actually purchase mtx and cleerly you and I are not in that percentage. You cannot buy loot boxes directly in GT7 but there are a small percentage of players do… and since the mtx prices are so high, PD make loads of money off it.

You do know that the C2 Corvette (Corvette extra book) and Porsche 550 (Mid-engine Porsche extra book) are LCD cars, right? By buying them, you are contributing to the respective extra book, ergo you are also indirectly fast-tracking the Extra Book and thus the road to the ticket.

For clarity, I added the word "by proxy" to this threads' title.
Why does it matter if the car is in LCD, BC, or UCD? Every car is attainable from gameplay-earned or MTX-earned credits. (And the combined price of the cars you listed are under 5 million… not exactly a MTX cash cow.)

I already outlined this in my last reply:

I was describing skipping gameplay - specifically, grinding (because that’s the only viable way to get substantial credits late game) - to access content. Cars for personal use, or cars to complete objectives.
It’s a clear fact that you ‘can’ purchase the engine / special parts roulette tickets via the extra menu’s. It’s just done by proxy by buying credits to then buy the car… that unlocks the loot box.
But it’s not a purchase lootbox system, proxy or otherwise, because they’re one-time objective completion sotuations. You can only purchase a shortcut to completing the tasks.

———

Let’s further outline the current scale of this situation, to really give some perspective:

As of this last update, in total, there are only 3 guaranteed engine tickets available via the Extra Book collections (#3, #7, and #8), with a further two part tickets (#5 and 6) that have an ok chance (but no guarantees) for engines as well, so 5 exclusive unique part/potentially engine drops.

There are now 24 unique engines, with a total of 40 possible swap combos. Each update has brought around 2-3 new engines, with usually 5 new combinations in total.

There are a total of five, single use, unique boxes that meet your criteria of “paid lootboxes”.

Any given update with Extra Book collections has only added 1-2 unique ticket part/engine rewards at a time. If you expand to include the bonus menus (which only have rewards tied to completing races, like the hypercar parade, not collecting), even then unique rewards average around 1.5 per update.

So, if updates continue to be as consistent as they have over the last 6 months, even with perfect distribution you will never be able to get all the engines/parts by non-bug means, because they will add 2-5+ times the amount of engines than campaign rewards that will award them to you. If there was a system of paid loot boxes there would be a way to make recurring payment in exchange for the unique chance rewards and incentivize getting more of the parts. But there isn’t.

Until you can buy tickets with credits, or tickets/ticket packs with real money, there is no paid lootbox system, proxy or otherwise.

I'd also like to point another very notable thing about Loot Boxes that again is part of my argument: They are VERY easy by design. Easy to access, easy to find and far easier as well as shorter to get to then playing the game. In short, they are the easy way out (which in turn, means easy money for the devs or publishers). If anything, lets call them what they actually are: Virtual Slot Machines. These means where money is exchanged in order to speed things up or bypass is supposed to be easy to find and get to (Hell, sometimes its even shoved in your face persistently if the publishers are feeling REALLY greedy). With how convoluted and slow the menu Books are, exchanging real money just to buy the cars to clear the books and get the randomized item once (not repeatidly) doesn't appear much faster (or easier) then just playing the game, whereas just going in and putting your money to a easy to access menu to get them without the tedious grind would be straight to the point. EZ

So with that established, comes the question: If this is supposedly "By Proxy" close to Loot boxes, then wouldn't be easier AND faster just to funnel the player straight to just buying the Randomized tickets to skip the whole process entirely? Hell, even charge the player to just auto complete the book. Even if this is supposedly funneling players to MTX, its not much faster or easier to gain access to the randomized item and seems if anything kinda negligible, therefore it kinda defeats itself because of how poorly it is designed (which if anything would just point out how PD can't even properly rip off fans if that is supposedly what they are doing here). That is essentially what makes this not even close to a Loot box "By Proxy" or otherwise: Its not easily or quickly accessible, which is the entire point.

Last edited:
So with that established, comes the question: If this is supposedly "By Proxy" close to Loot boxes, then wouldn't be easier AND faster just to funnel the player straight to just buying the Randomized tickets to skip the whole process entirely? Hell, even charge the player to just auto complete the book.
They can't readily do this due to gambling laws. It would age rate the game in a some countries and it's flat out dissallowed in videogames in some others and these aren't tiny markets that GT7 would be eliminating itself from/being classified as gambling software.

It's not impossible, but for a £70 AAA game like Gran Turismo it would likely not be worth while for the developer/publisher to take that route.

But I agree, paid loot boxes by proxy is a stretch. Yes it may become that for some users, but that's a very specific and limited use IMO. I think the likelihood is that people are buying MTX's to buy the cars themselves, not to complete the menu books to get the roulette ticket reward which you can only win once.

Last edited:
This is an interesting conversation.

So we’re in agreement in some things but come to different conclusions to what they mean.

Both agree that the roulette tickets are loot boxes.

Both agree that GT7’s currency is designed to push people to mtx. (You call it poor balancing for users -I call it intentially deisgned by PD - same thing different terminology)

Your argument is that you cannot purchase unlimited loot boxes in GT7 or as many as you need to collect all of the items.
-where I don’t see this as a requriement to label a loot box a loot box. Ie: a loot box is a loot box weather you can acquire 1000 or 0 of them.

You also agree that you can skip the grind and use mtx to purchase credits, to buy the cars, to complete the book that unlocks the loot box.

I also agree that you can aquire these things in game by just playing them. I have done this and I have not spent a cent on mtx.

-which means you agree - that by proxy - you can purchase loot boxes in GT7.

You seem to come to the conclusion that this isn’t an intentional design choice by PD, where I do.

I can’t see why else the smart people at PD would purposely introduce all of these game mechanics / choices, that mimic f2p games, without carefull consideration and researching all of the results first.

It’s pretty clear that they want to push mtx in the game at all corners. This is just another way that they’re doing this.

Ie: introducing loot boxes in a way that is legal and that can only be purchased by proxy and at limited amounts.

Last edited:
Ie: introducing loot boxes in a way that is legal and that can only be purchased by proxy and at limited amounts.
...for now, as there's no legal precedent regarding this type of by-proxy paid loot boxes, or free-only loot boxes in general.

Back