F-Zero - the future is now

France
SoCal
GTP_MooCow
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/meet-carcopter-hydrogen-powered-formula-233000770.html

upload_2021-1-14_1-43-52.png

FE171C67586594AE2B2FB4AE03E366F3D39D1CB5

I don't really expect it to be more than just a testbed for various hydrogen powered propulsion technology, and this is pretty obviously just dangling a line out to see if any investors bite. That said, there are a number of advancements in the works that are aimed at mitigating some of the major downfalls of hydrogen as a fuel source (mostly storing and transporting it in a liquid form), so I guess we'll just have to see what happens around 2023 when this is supposedly going to be track-ready.

https://newatlas.com/aircraft/hydrogen-electric-flying-car-f1-racing/

"Car racing is quickly evolving to embrace new technologies through series like Formula E and Extreme E. It may even find a home on the Moon in the near future. French startup MACA is looking to add flying cars to the list of emerging technologies actively competing in racing, developing a rather insect-like eVTOL race car designed to lap circuits around the world. Its Carcopter is no drone, manned by a human driver pushing the hydrogen-fed electric-driven craft to speeds over 150 mph ... or so MACA hopes, anyway."

I do have to wonder exactly how they intend to have several of these navigating a closed circuit together. Aside from the obvious problem of the vehicle not touching the ground, meaning track limits like kerbs and gravel traps are effectively pointless, there's also the matter of safety. Inevitably you're going to have two or more of them bumping into each other for various reasons, and rotor-driven aircraft aren't exactly fond of being suddenly jostled about. (Well no aircraft is really, but still.)

I suppose you could have a bunch of sensors and computer assists to enforce track limits and try to avoid contact, but then why even bother having a pilot? They may as well just be car-sized drones at that point.

Back