F1 2011 Wishlist

prisonermonkeys

Be Fearless
Premium
Peru
Hammerhead Garage
According to Anthony Davidson's Twitter feed, Codemasters are busy developing F1 2011, and it seems they're throwing ideas around. Given that F1 2010 had so large a following on these forums that it got its own subforum, I thought I'd put out the call and get a wishlist going. Even though it's unlikely Codemasters or Davidson will ever see this, it's still a way to kill time on a slow night.

The first and most obvious item for the wishlist is a game that gets released without the bugs that plagued F1 2010. That's a given. There's no need to state it again.

As for me, I'd really like to see a copy of the game that I can play on my system. I was really looking forward to the game, and equally disappointed when I found it would probably cause my computer to melt. I haven't had the money for a new computer since, but it's nice to dream. Maybe the planets will align the right way this year, and I'll be able to get a system upgrade.

Over to you.

YES! :D

I was completely happy with 2010. There only a handful of things I'd have changed/added.

Better/more lively FFB.
More fluid AI. There is something awkward with the AI. Inconsistency, perhaps? I can't quite explain it at this point.
Optional parade lap
Optional podium
Commentary <- maybe.
Older F1 cars, if they were bothered to get the licenses for them.

I know I just described F1CE (pretty much), but I did love the little things about that game. Otherwise, as long as they don't make any radical changes (that has the potential to being stupid , I'd be happy with whatever they throw at us. That's all I can come up with at this point. I'll update later when I have the game in front of me, as I'm at work right now.

Before the add the stuff we want how about they firstly put together the basic game. Then once done they can add bits with what time they have left.

The game is meant to be F1 cars, make then be harder to drive. You should have Easy Medium Hard and F1.

Easy = Option of all aids. Something similiar to skid force in GT5 on Easy AI
Medium = Something similiar to skid force in GT5 on. ASM TC etc.. off Medium AI
Hard = Option of all aids. Skid force OFF Hard AI
F1 = Maybe only basic ABS (most people can't do abs...). Skid force OFF. AI almost never makes mistakes and laps approx real F1 times.

In F1 mode no matter how brilliant I am, in a Lotus I can't beat a Torro Rosso driven by the AI. (using 2010 as an example)

The laps driven have to be the actual laps none of this artifical crap from 2010.

Then add in the good stuff.

All tracks night, day and sunset (possibly sunrise too), i.e. singapore during the day, Melbourne at night (they can work out lights sometime)

OLder F1 cars. Older F1 tracks.

A 'beat the pro' time trial. Anthony Davidson is with them, he is F1 andhas said he plays racing games quite a bit. How about he does a few laps on each track, records the time and then you have to try and match his times through the sectors and laps. Could be a great challenge that many would love (both gamers and F1 followers).

Parade laps and more control over tyre use and wear. e.g. You are responsibly for warming the tyre. Make the start of a race into either a properly done race start or almost sequence like with added graphics assisting you to 'feel the grip' through the screen. That way when you launch off from the start after a parade lap you know its whgat you did not just sitting there for a while and then mashing power.

I can't really see it happening but I would love to see GP2 cars/teams.

I really liked the race engineer in F12010 something which I wish they would put in GT5 so it actually had more of a sense of racing for a 'team' instead of just for yourself. My gripe with 2010 was that whatever team you were at you had the same (geordie) race engineer. It would make it a lot more imersive if there was at least a couple of different voices so when you switched teams it felt like more of an actual change. Maybe even a bit of race strategy AI in the sense of better strategy decisions made by race engineers at top teams.

Also proper charector creation and podium cut scenes would be nice

Last edited by a moderator:
Bee
How about a safety car?

I thought about adding that in my post. However, I could see the developers avoiding it, as it could be too tedious for casual gamers.

So... Optional Safety Car? :)

Edit - Fixed. Better.

Last edited:
I can't really see it happening but I would love to see GP2 cars/teams.
They actually experimented with the idea, at least, of including GP2 and even GP3. The intention was to probably have a game mode where players could learn the physics and the circuits first-hand so that they would be competitive once they got into a Formula 1 car. It was dropped because it was not feasible.

I'm not sure if this is a bug or just something they neglected to set up. The thing that really bugged me is if i Quali outside the top ten and then decide I want to start on hard tyres instead of soft, the computer should change the strategy accordingly. I end up with my engineer telling me to pit after a quarter distance and when I do finally pit, they HAVE HARD TYRES!! I know I can set the tyre I want before I pit but it would be better if my crew could work this seemingly simple fact out for themselves.

I thought about adding that in my post. However, I could see the developers avoiding it, as it could be too tedious for casual gamers.

So... Optional Safety Car? :)

Edit - Fixed. Better.

Hmmm well perhaps only have it for races over a certain distance, I can understand the lack of fun in having a 7 lap race with 6 of them behind the SC.

Another thing I'd like to see is tyre walls that fall apart if you crash into them. Also, the sidepods and engine cover need more damage models done to them (Ok, they only get damaged in real life after quite a heafty accident, but it still happens.).

Don't get me wrong, I love F1 2010, honest.

Fix the waved yellow flags; as often I am already past the incident yet penalized when I pass a car that is off the track?

Safety car would be a nice touch

Older circuits - Mosport and Mont Tremblant; Watkins Glen; Long Beach

Older F1 cars

Stronger FFB (for G 25 and G 27)

New Houston GP circuit

Regardless, I will buy the 2011 version :)

Alot needs to be done IMHO:

Online -
* An "advanced quick GP" mode that auto loads your 1st custom setup and takes the lobby straight to the circuit. This would be a HUGE time saver for those of us who take the time to make/save custom setups. Also for the unfortunate souls who raced in the public lobbies long enough to reach the Level 50 achievement, the default 30 sec tuning pause meant they spent at least 8 hours staring at the garage screen. Not good.
* Extensive online stat tracking. So we are talking wins/losses/total points/avg points/fast laps/collisions/collision ratio/flags collected/flag ratio/etc. Basically most of what occurs in the online race should be dumped to a database. I mean c'mon this is F-freaking-1! we are talking about. No other motorsport has fans more stats obsessive. The game should reflect this for 🤬 sake!

Single Player/General -
* Functional tire temperature graphic. How this got missed is beyond me. Currently the game only displays "blue" tires if you've sat in the grass motionless for umpteen seconds. New tires from the garage are displayed as "green" even though they clearly need 1.5 laps or so to get up to operating temperature. Jeebus, even F1CE got this simple concept right.
* More 🤬 stats (see online note). Also 2011 needs a lap review screen that shows all/most of the goodies. Track location vs throttle position/car speed/G loading/break position/engine revs/gear selected/wheel spin percentage/tire temps/etc. Once again THIS IS F-FREAKING-1!!
* Better rumble feedback on the tires under breaking and acceleration. Basically the controller user should receive at least some tactile information on when their tires are locking under breaking and when the rear end is breaking loose under acceleration.
* Improved low speed physics. I'm sorry touching a curb with one wheel at 40mph and <20% throttle input does not cause an instant pirouette.
* Penalties enforced for crossing the white lines when exiting the pits. Seems academic, another thing even F1:CE had.
* Cornering line should be reduced to a Breaking line. Either that or just add to the "Driving Line" assist a Breaking line.
* More tuning variables naturally. This is F1 afterall.
* Live the life crap should be scrapped. Won't happen I understand, but all it does in my opinion is take away development focus from perfecting the core driving/racing experience.
* WHATEVER it takes to bring the engine up to 60FPS. Reduce whatever details are necessary, but F1 deserves a silky smooth frame rate. It just does.
* Get rid of the mud camera filter. If not that at least allow the user to toggle the thing off. Take a look at some of the PC screen shots with the "true sun" mod and you'll note the difference in color vibrancy is astonishing.

That's all I can think of at the moment... :lol:

• Separate season/quick race modes, I would much rather do a season outside of the career mode, but would also like to occasionally do a quick race while doing the season.
  • As has been said, make the cars more reflect their real world performance. I shouldn't be able to even touch the top 10 in a Virgin.
  • Better penalty system.
  • Safety car, it may not be the most exciting part of an F1 race but it's a part of it and plays a role in the strategy game.
  • Classic cars/tracks, F1CE did it so I know it can be done, even if it is just for TT mode.
  • Better crew chief, at least make him say things that are relevant. I never understood why I needed to know when Ferrari was pitting when I am running 18th, or told me I should copy my teammates setup which isn't even possible in the game.
  • Allow spectator mode, it's helpful to see where you are losing time to other cars.
  • Better FFB, it was good in F12010 but could be leagues better.
  • TEST THE GAME BEFORE RELEASING IT!!!!!!!!!!

All I can think of for now. Can't comment on the online aspect as I only did a few races online.

I definitely want the bugs fixing, and the AI harder to beat. Maybe a difficulty for AI intelligence and then choose your own aids. I'd also like a safety car.

I would love detailed lap telemetry. Especially to gauge apex speed as you're trying to eek out time and want to compare set ups.

F1 2010 is brilliant, the usual things are what I hope for, safety car, more real AI etc.

I would also like better off track involvement, interaction with other drivers, better interaction with team mates and the press as well. Perhaps more freedom in the paddock? Not too fussed on that one.

And adding to the whole parade lap, warming tyres etc, It would be nice if they implemented a clutch button, perhaps wioth a wheel that has no clutch (DFGT) on the start line, double the brake pedal as the clutch and you have to get the right bite off the line to get a good launch. I think starts should be a real event, an occasion and alot should ride on getting it right instead of just hold the throttle, it should be a task and a real challenge to launch. Likewise coming out of the pits.

First person podium sequences, parc ferme sequences etc. Would be nice if you come third, see the car pulling alongside the other 2 and the driver climbing out, all in first person, would really add to it. I think for codemasters to pursue the "Live the Life" side of the game, it has to "feel" like the life, and make you feel like a driver, instead of getting a menu after the race and moving on.

I can't think of too much really, maybe some TV-style overlays native to the region it's being released in. All they'd have to do is use the overlays of the most-watched channel - easy. Well, in theory anyway.

Perhaps some other things will come to me after I've played again.

Some people here have unrealistic wishes for a licensed f1 game.(I'm looking at you Blackjacques)

First of all, I'd like the game released sans bugs. I don't have the internet at home, so I have no updates for any of my games.

Get rid of the random punctures or at the very least, make them much less common and apply them to the ai aswell.

Get rid of the "flashbacks".

Get rid of catchup. You said it didn't exist, but some eagle eyed gamers found it in the code.

Keep improving the handling model. Sometimes, you feel the back end going but no matter how quickly you correct, it makes no difference... In other words enable opposite lock.

Maybe even add in a professional physics option. Have us wrestling with the steering wheel.

A few things others have mentioned, such as parade laps, safety cars and cool down laps (all optional of course)

A "beat the pro mode" against Anthony Davidson would be nice.

Other than that, keep up the good work. I expect improvements across the board, but good job.

Correcting with opposite lock is very do-able in F1 2010. It's hard, but do-able. Now, hitting a steep curb of an apex too hard, well... not much you can do about that after it has happened. :lol:

And flashbacks are scaleable down to 0 already. I don't see CM scrapping the entire feature anytime soon.

I've thought of a new one! Save replays. :P

Last edited:
Correcting with opposite lock is very do-able in F1 2010. It's hard, but do-able. Now, hitting a steep curb of an apex too hard, well... not much you can do about that after it has happened. :lol:

But there are some kerbs, taken at low speed that will just throw you, no matter how you correct. What makes matters worse is that these kerbs can be taken succesfully, but sometimes, seemingly at random, the car has spun round and no amount of correction can change that. So when you're chasing another car, taking one of these kerbs is a bit like playing russian roulette. It happened to me last night, playing as kobayashi, I was leading having started 12th on the hardest difficulty. I was the fastest man on track.

I know it might make things exciting, adding a bit of risk in. And I know that sometimes kerbs can do just that, but the one in particular that I'm thinking of is frequently used irl and I can't recall many (any for that matter) drivers spinning off there. It would still be satisfying if you had a small window of time to correct the car rather than some random fruit machine code deciding whether or not to spin you.

And for the record, it's not a question of skill we're talking about here. I regularly start from the back row and fight through to win races in F1 2010. There should be higher difficulty levels. Starting at the back of the grid is the only way to make this game a challenge. The majority of my gaming time between GT5p, which I got when it was released and GT5 was spent lapping the F2007. Particularly at suzuka. I registered some pretty good times and it was always fun to try and beat my previous times. Probably spent 100's of hours doing so. I know it might sound boring, but it didn't bore me. The f2007 in gt5p was a beast of a machine, and was a lot more difficult to control than the cars in F12010... I wish PD could make an f1 game.

And flashbacks are scaleable down to 0 already. I don't see CM scrapping the entire feature anytime soon.

I read on the codemasters forum a while ago that flashbacks are responsible for the simulated laptimes that the A.I register. One of the devs admitted this, saying that the A.I have to run to a script (in qualifying especially)because the flashbacks are too much of a demand on processing power. It would be impossible for the A.I to be running independently, paused, rewinded and then resume independent thought(not sure what word to use there). That might be responsible for them being painfully slow in the wet.

I'd also like them to get rid of their british bias. Just saying, random grids and everything. Put it this way, I often play single races in grand prix mode. A lot of the time, there's Mclaren 1,2 on the grid. By the time this game was being finalised, we were mid way through a season of Red Bull dominance in qualifying, whereas a lot of the time on the grid, Hamilton 1st, Button 2nd. One time, at suzuka, Webber and Vettel were 7th and 8th, Button was on pole, Hamilton 2nd, Petrov 3rd (he seems to outperform Kubica in the game) Massa 4th, Alonso 5th, Schumacher 6th.

Doesn't seem a very likely grid for suzuka...

Another thing I'd like to see is improved hand and wheel animations.

Last edited:
I remember them saying that the simulated lap times were due to the need for the accelerated time feature in qualifying. It being impossible to have simulator AI running at 30x normal speed. I don't recall anything about flashbacks though, I don't see why they would have any effect on AI.

I remember them saying that the simulated lap times were due to the need for the accelerated time feature in qualifying. It being impossible to have simulator AI running at 30x normal speed. I don't recall anything about flashbacks though, I don't see why they would have any effect on AI.

Maybe I'm getting mixed up... Although I still think the flashbacks will be a draw on processing power. The last 7 or 8 seconds being recorded with the player having the ability to rewind time and dumping 23 A.I cars a few seconds back. Maybe it's just me, but if that processing power could be freed up, it could be put to better use.

Some people here have unrealistic wishes for a licensed f1 game.(I'm looking at you Blackjacques)

First of all, I'd like the game released sans bugs. I don't have the internet at home, so I have no updates for any of my games.

Get rid of the random punctures or at the very least, make them much less common and apply them to the ai aswell.

Get rid of the "flashbacks".

Get rid of catchup. You said it didn't exist, but some eagle eyed gamers found it in the code.

Keep improving the handling model. Sometimes, you feel the back end going but no matter how quickly you correct, it makes no difference... In other words enable opposite lock.

Maybe even add in a professional physics option. Have us wrestling with the steering wheel.

A few things others have mentioned, such as parade laps, safety cars and cool down laps (all optional of course)

A "beat the pro mode" against Anthony Davidson would be nice.

Other than that, keep up the good work. I expect improvements across the board, but good job.

Sorry, I did not see the word 'realistic' in the thread title :crazy:; C'mon man! :crazy:

In addition to the usual incrementally improve everything and avoid releasing with bugs&#8230;

Incorporate some of the improvements to the console releases that others have modded in the PC version such as the better color palatte.

I like the idea previously mentioned about better defined level of difficulties such as Easy, Medium, Hard, F1 Racer, etc. It would be good to have game goals to win each race at each difficulty level (or higher) similar to how Rock Band has goals for completing songs at each difficulty level. It would be nice to be able to achieve these game goals in an ad-hoc manner so that you don't have to race the whole season to get another attempt to "Gold" Monaco, etc. I like the career and race season concept but that requires a level of commitment to go through to pick up game trophies that were missed. I think being able to pick and choose races and have them count for trophies/goals/achievements would increase the replay value in single player mode.

I really like the on-line multiplayer as it stands right now and I think that may be one of the reasons I am now coming back to this game and playing GT5 less frequently. I would like to have more on-line stats as was mentioned before. It would be good to have a mechanism to pair up gamers in on-line with similar ability levels as well as similar "safety" levels. I consider my skills "average" and I am generally finishing in the middle of the pack but still having fun. The closer the competition the more fun things are and some mechanism to group drivers by ability would help in this regard. "Safety" levels would be another factor and can be somewhat measured by the average amount of collision penalties along with car damage due to unforced errors a driver has. Perhaps this can be implemented by having a set "safety" level that a driver must have to be in a on-line Grand Prix similar to having a minimum driver level to participate as configured by the race admin.

Right now you can configure an on-line race to have collisions off or on for the full race. How about having an option to have collisions off for just the first two turns of the race? Most of the mayhem that messes up the remainder of the race occurs in heavy traffic during these first turns with mixed driver skill levels.

Another idea is to have on-line events and tournaments. One possibility would be to have an on-line tournament for each F1 race in parallel with the actual F1 season. As an example two weeks before the actual F1 race at Silverstone the on-line tournament could open. You would initially race a heat of 3 or 4 races (3 lap or 10%) at that same track with other on-line contestants. The top 3 or 4 finishers would be able to go to the next level with the rest out of contention until the next track in another few weeks. The top finishers would then get to progress to the next bracket and so on over the next days with the final races the day before the actual race and probably being single elimination. There probably would be a way to structure this so the bracketing could accomplish filtering down the field of many thousands of racers in a way that anyone could race the initial heats and levels at pretty much anytime during the day against the random pool of other contestants at the same tier (at least until you get to the final tiers which would need to be run at a set time). I don't know maybe I'm rambling a bit here but it would be nice to have some series of events that would sync up with the actual F1 race schedule.

I've played all modes in F1 2010 (except the Multi-player) for some 20 hours now, so my thoughts:

* More game modes, perhaps some challenges.
* Historic F1 cars, and some previous generation F1 cars (especially the 2004 ones).
* Legacy Grand Prix tracks, espectially the legendary Green Hell (the old Nurburgring) which held German GP for decades.
* A "Museum" like the one in GT5 displays the history of Formula One, but without GT5's odd cards collecting stuff.
* Impoved driving physics, the cars should reflect their real life counter-parts' performance.
* Option for TV-style Replay, I don't know why all the major race game developers overlook this part.
* Official licensed Kart racing, since most F1 drivers started from Karting.
* All reasonable ideas that other posters listed above.

I don't really worry about the driving physics. It's FiA official licensed game, they will not allow the F1 2011 to be arcade-ish like Codemasters did from DiRT to DiRT2. Well, hopefully...:ill:

The main reason I (we) don't play F1 on line is the on line AI. Off line AI is reasonable, on line they make a mess, even in qualify. For the rest I like what I read above, the main thing is physics as I felt the locking up of the brakes was unpredictable.

This.

I get a puncture in EVERY race. I don't know if it's my driving style or what but it's a pain. If I just flashback to before I got it, I can usually continue for the rest of the race.

This.

I get a puncture in EVERY race. I don't know if it's my driving style or what but it's a pain. If I just flashback to before I got it, I can usually continue for the rest of the race.

Don't think it's your driving style ;). Just some random bit of bad coding. I've heard stories of it happening to people as they are leaving the pits with a brand new set of tyres.

As for the tyres themselves, I would like it if the tyre's wear according to your driving style. I have noticed that there's a set pattern depending on the length of the race and distance completed. If you just drive normally, you'll see the set pattern.

I noticed this after racing at abu dhabi twice. Just did a ten percent distance (I normally do 30% but just wanted a quick blast) race. Playing as Vettel, I started from pole and raced away into the distance, dropping the opposition at an incredible rate, but on the last lap, my rear tyres were destroyed... Well, they were in the red according to the "car status" OSD. Had to take it nice and easy to get to the finish line.

The next time, at the same track, in the same car, with the same setup, over the same distance, with the exact same weather conditions, I led from pole, but took things carefully. I kept a close eye on the "car status" OSD, particularly on the tyres and noticed, that they changed to yellow in the same order, in the exact same places (eg turn * on lap *) and by the last few corners, my rear tyres were almost done, but I'd been taking it easy.

Anyone else noticed this?

Latest Posts

Back