F1 2013 - Do I buy it?

• Thread starter Bigbazz
  • 69 comments
I really wanted too but I forgot to pick it up when it was released. I can't seem to find a copy at Gamestop & they're even having trouble locating a copy for me. I've seen a few on Ebay but I don't want to get burned buying a knock off copied version.

I really wanted too but I forgot to pick it up when it was released. I can't seem to find a copy at Gamestop & they're even having trouble locating a copy for me. I've seen a few on Ebay but I don't want to get burned buying a knock off copied version.

Well WJ, that's because codemasters never released the hard copy here in North America, only the digital version to download and the way things are looking they may never. What I did was I bought a UK version of the game and it works perfect. A local retailer was able to get their hands on 5 or so UK copies and sold them for $40.

Yes but what he is saying basically is you can catch a slide in a real F1. And there's definitely some progression from 100% grip to oversteer / understeer.
I can slide my car's rear end; maybe because I am using a racing wheel instead of a controller?

I usually stop paying attention to physics reviews by gamers when they say something along the lines of "the car should do this when I do this, but it doesn't." This is especially true for F1 games. You don't know. At all. Inject the age old, "the other 'proper' sims do [insert handling characteristic here] much better." And we can't go without the obligatory lap time comparison, as if that has any relevance at all to the realistic nature of the physics.

Boring.

I can slide these cars all day long as well. The understeer/oversteer is progressive and feel fantastic. The cars can make every turn on every circuit. If you can't do it, then YOU can't do it. Nothing more.

I like this game and I would buy it again. Will I buy the next one hoping it feels even more immersive and realistic? Yes.

I was able to win races on legendary difficulty, don't confuse the fact that I dislike the game or find flaws with the physics as if it means I'm incapable.

There is a lot of widespread knowledge describing in detail how the cars drive and behave, videos and in depth articles, highly detailed driver explanations and even onscreen telemetry during lap footage, you can see in plain sight exactly what happens based on a drivers input. These are things that the simulators reproduce as you would expect, predictable results over a number of different simulations, results that a motorsport book or a racing instructor could tell you to expect. So when something shows up that does not conform to the norm and is very different to the results that all of the others achieve then you suspect it is wrong. Even more so in this case where the codemasters games are not simulations, F1 2013 in this respect does not behave like any of the simulations, it does not behave in a predictable manner with the modern cars.

I've come to some conclusion as to the reasoning. as I've played a little more since this thread (blockbusters had a 90% off everything in my home town before they shut down, my mate worked there and got a truckload of games)

The game is highly tuned to gamepad players, evident from the complaints of gamepad players having issues controlling the cars in the previous versions of the game, the new system being smoother and having an understeer wall at the maximum steering lock makes the cars less twitchy and easier to driver smoothly with a pad at the edge of grip. The result of this has compromised the wheel play and for me ruined the physics. Don't lump me in with someone who is mad because he can't play the game.

I was mad because i believed in 2012 they ruined the game that I had come to enjoy. I've got over that though, plenty more games out there.

There is a lot of widespread knowledge describing in detail how the cars drive and behave, videos and in depth articles, highly detailed driver explanations and even onscreen telemetry during lap footage, you can see in plain sight exactly what happens based on a drivers input. These are things that the simulators reproduce as you would expect, predictable results over a number of different simulations, results that a motorsport book or a racing instructor could tell you to expect. So when something shows up that does not conform to the norm and is very different to the results that all of the others achieve then you suspect it is wrong.

Can you bring some tech on this? I'm genuinely curious.

The game is highly tuned to gamepad players, evident from the complaints of gamepad players having issues controlling the cars in the previous versions of the game, the new system being smoother and having an understeer wall at the maximum steering lock makes the cars less twitchy and easier to driver smoothly with a pad at the edge of grip.

Once again, some tech on this? Or is it feel? It was key for me to switch on the manual steering angle override on my T500RS to get the right feel. For some reason, the steering angle was switched back to ~200 degrees max for consoles.

And no "lumping" here. I don't care if you're top of the charts or the bottom. Some pretty ratty driving on both ends of the time charts in the sim world.

If you haven't picked it up yet now's the time, spend 26 € in total with the promotion on PSN and all of the DLC, and for that price it is definitely worth it.

If it wouldn't have been for the classic content i wouldn't have bothered, seeing i already own 2012 which ended up gathering dust rather quickly after i bought it. But now it's just great to be able to set up your own races with those great 80's and 90's F1 cars, and then switch back to modern times when you feel like it.

Physics aren't super realistic but descent enough, and the fun/ addictiveness factor is right up there 👍
They did a nice job with the engine sounds also, the Renault V10 and Ferrari V12 sounds are like i remembered them from those good old days.

You can buy F1 2013 from psn store

Back