F1 2020 General Discussion Thread

I'm on a wheel, are those controller buttons you're referring to?
My bad, I thought you had a G29, I should've paid attention to your setup. I'm referring to the buttons on the wheel.

DK
My bad, I thought you had a G29, I should've paid attention to your setup. I'm referring to the buttons on the wheel.

No problem. I would have thought the knob which functions as my D-pad would be it but it does nothing.

I downloaded the Schumacher edition this past Wednesday, yet not all of his cars are available. I checked back in the PS Store, and it says purchased. I also checked my library, and it says Installed.

I did a brief search and restored the licenses, yet that didn't work. Did I miss something here? Has this happened to anyone else?

Outside of that, this game should be great offline. I only did an hour of time trials on Suzuka short and Silverstone National to get my wheel/pedal settings right. The understeer effect is pretty cool.

I downloaded the Schumacher edition this past Wednesday, yet not all of his cars are available. I checked back in the PS Store, and it says purchased. I also checked my library, and it says Installed.

I did a brief search and restored the licenses, yet that didn't work. Did I miss something here? Has this happened to anyone else?

Outside of that, this game should be great offline. I only did an hour of time trials on Suzuka short and Silverstone National to get my wheel/pedal settings right. The understeer effect is pretty cool.

When you say not all, do you mean some are available or you can't see any of them?

The 4 classic MS cars will be usable in time trial, grand prix and championship modes in classic car section, the other cars which are more liveries will be visible in the customisation section.

When you say not all, do you mean some are available or you can't see any of them?

The 4 classic MS cars will be usable in time trial, grand prix and championship modes in classic car section, the other cars which are more liveries will be visible in the customisation section.
You're right. I was just going by what I saw in the Showroom section. I didn't think about checking the other areas. They're there! lol. Thank you

Last edited:
Got my copy today and was doing some hot laps around Hanoi. about 10 laps in had a game crash mid way through a decent flying lap :@. Playing on PC with a Gamepad.

Got my copy today and was doing some hot laps around Hanoi. about 10 laps in had a game crash mid way through a decent flying lap :@. Playing on PC with a Gamepad.
Not sure what card you have but new nvidia drivers arrived yesterday for F1 2020 among other titles.

Not sure what card you have but new nvidia drivers arrived yesterday for F1 2020 among other titles.
In fact, if you have an Nvidia card, the game will pop up a dialog box before starting to tell you if your drivers aren't the current ones and ask if you want to continue.

Understandable that no real world sponsors were allowed for created teams, I’m sure F1’s licensing deals would’ve got in the way of that. I do wish the logo of your engine supplier appeared on the car though, but again I understand why that wasn’t possible.

I haven’t played very far into the game yet, but your car doesn’t visually change with aero upgrades does it?

Just tried f1 2018, at monaco in dark rain setting on std ps4, i was pretty amazed how nice it looked, and clean smooth too. Has to be nicest i even seen it. Nice track wet look and reflections too.
I just used the ds4 as i was dead tired to feel to use the wheel. Have to say it felt pretty hardcore with no assist, in rain, was the 79 ferrari. Plus the damage can easily take a wheel off, not an easy task, although im not a pad user in racing games/sims that's for sure, except in wrc7 maybe.

I should try it more really, just barely did up to now. Just felt to post here since in 2018 no one will ever read it i think.
Cheers.

Understandable that no real world sponsors were allowed for created teams, I’m sure F1’s licensing deals would’ve got in the way of that. I do wish the logo of your engine supplier appeared on the car though, but again I understand why that wasn’t possible.

I haven’t played very far into the game yet, but your car doesn’t visually change with aero upgrades does it?

It doesn't visually upgrade no. The car is more or less the same as last years standardised car (or multiplayer car as they call it) and was actually designed by Ross Brawn and Pat Symonds in line with the current regs. Some variability does seem quite highly requested so I do wonder if they'll design multiple parts for the next game for a bit of variety.

In fact, if you have an Nvidia card, the game will pop up a dialog box before starting to tell you if your drivers aren't the current ones and ask if you want to continue.
I have an RTX 2070 with the lastest nvidia drivers. Did not get the pop up when I booted the game.

Has anyone else had random framerate drops? It happened to me while I was doing practice at Zandvoort, my framerate plunged from between 80-100fps to the low-10s. It stopped when I switched off Windows Game DVR, but it was just so damn frustrating. It reminded me of my days playing any city circuit in rFactor on my laptop with Intel HD graphics. :banghead:

I had some stuttering while doing time trials, but they happened when I crossed the finish line after beating a ghost time, so I think that's due to the game trying to download and upload leaderboard data on the fly. Other than that, no real issues.

Got hit by the tyre compound DSQ bug yesterday on China. Bit annoying, I'm sure its high on their priority list to fix. First time I'd reached Q3, not sure if there's a link but hopefully I won't run into it again.

The new circuits - Vietnam i hate - its either a massive high speed straight into a tight hairpin or one of those awful 180 circular corners - just not enjoyable to drive on. These modern circuit designs are terrrible.

Zandvoort however, i enjoyed - kind of reminds me of Interlagos with the gradients and bankings,and theres some nice flowing sections there.

My TM Micky Schumacher is terrible atm,i think his best finish is 16th and im just about to go to Canada. Ive had a few points finishes,although China really doesnt favour the 2 stoppers - theres a few guys who qualified outside the top 10 there,did a one stop and finished in the points. Tyre wear seems really bad there,more than normal.

Had a CTD yesterday. Kind of surprising really given how stable these games have seemed for me. Ironically it happened after upgrading to the latest nvidia driver.

Had a CTD yesterday. Kind of surprising really given how stable these games have seemed for me. Ironically it happened after upgrading to the latest nvidia driver.
Was it during time trial? I had it happen again a couple times this morning and it definitely was related to new ghost data being downloaded. Turns out that pausing just after crossing the line for about three seconds and letting the game do its download corrected the issue.

Interestingly, it only seems to happen on tracks with a huge amount of leaderboard times. Never got any stutter when updating ghosts on any track in the wet, since so few people have attempted them I guess.

The new circuits - Vietnam i hate - its either a massive high speed straight into a tight hairpin or one of those awful 180 circular corners - just not enjoyable to drive on. These modern circuit designs are terrrible.

Zandvoort however, i enjoyed - kind of reminds me of Interlagos with the gradients and bankings,and theres some nice flowing sections there.

Yeah, didn't care too much about the layout for Vietnam's track. I do like the flow of Zandvoort and was really enjoyable to drive on once I learned it. Just curious on how overtake friendly the track will be, when F1 returns next year.

I had it CTD on me 4 times yesterday while doing time trials.

The MSC bennetons are a pain to drive, as the back spins out in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears for me and it has almost no turn in for corner entry (no assists and default setup so far)
I have not tried any of the other classics yet.

The 2020 Merc is a joy to drive so far. Again no assists, default set up, and just time trial. Their talk about changing the grip after feedback from f1 drivers doing esports seems to be true!

Hanoi is a terrible track.

I had my first problem with the game locking up today. Trying to exit out of time trial it just stuck on "connecting with online services" and just stayed there. How ever long it takes the Xbox screen to go dim, maybe 10 minutes or so and then I just had to go back to the home screen and quit the game and restart it.

A bit annoyed by the intermediary traction control. In some tracks, it seems it makes the car brakes, how is that possible? The esses in Austin, the right in Suzuka after 130r, you don't need to brake , the car will for you. What a strange system. I would expect it to work on corner exit at low/medium low speeds, why would I need a traction control at 200 km/h+?

That things does a lot more than traction control, helping you staying on the best line in long corners for instance

Other than that, a bit annoyed by the starts of the races. Way too easy to win 8-10 positions, will need to start a bit slower to fight by my williams/haas/alfa in the back (My team mode). Otherwise you're just P6-7 after lap 1 and basically you cannot overtake anyone but manage to keep everyone behind you, even at difficulty 90.

It feels like there is more grip. It’s much easier to get a good start and to catch a slide compared to 19. There is more understeer although I’m not sure if that’s just the car I’m using.

Created Team Penske with Mercedes engines. Boccolacci is my team mate. My car doesn’t corner very well but it’s one of the fastest cars in terms of top speed.

Currently playing at AI level 89. This feels perfect for me. I don’t have to do a lot of practice to be competitive, but I will probably bump it up in season 2.

I always run no tc or abs, but this time around I turned off the pit assists too. Next is to turn off flashbacks, I wish those weren’t even in the game, they are my biggest crutch in SP. :lol:

It feels like there is more grip. It’s much easier to get a good start and to catch a slide compared to 19. There is more understeer although I’m not sure if that’s just the car I’m using.

Created Team Penske with Mercedes engines. Boccolacci is my team mate. My car doesn’t corner very well but it’s one of the fastest cars in terms of top speed.

Currently playing at AI level 89. This feels perfect for me. I don’t have to do a lot of practice to be competitive, but I will probably bump it up in season 2.

I always run no tc or abs, but this time around I turned off the pit assists too. Next is to turn off flashbacks, I wish those weren’t even in the game, they are my biggest crutch in SP. :lol:

The last F1 game I played was F1 2017 so I have a limited frame of reference to these games. To me the 2017 car was much easier to control than the 2020 one so far but I still don't have a good feeling setting for my wheel and I'm not sure about the in game settings yet. But the 2017 car seemed to be on rails. I could flick it through chicanes easily. The 2020 car, no way, at least not yet. But I agree with you that this version seems to have a ton of understeer and I've tried understeer effect both off and on and it doesn't seem to change anything.

I also run no ABS or TC but it's really testing my temper because I'm spinning out at a tremendous rate with this new game where I could handle it pretty easily with F1 2017.

I really don’t like Hanoi, it just feels like a chore to learn this track.

The reliability of my gearbox is also a joke. 2 or 3 races and it’s finished. It actually got stuck in 2nd gear during a safety car period on Hanoi circuit so I had to retire from the race. My team mate also retired for some reason.

Now onto the Zandvoort race, this track is much more satisfying to drive than most of the other tracks.

Last edited:
The last F1 game I played was F1 2017 so I have a limited frame of reference to these games. To me the 2017 car was much easier to control than the 2020 one so far but I still don't have a good feeling setting for my wheel and I'm not sure about the in game settings yet. But the 2017 car seemed to be on rails. I could flick it through chicanes easily. The 2020 car, no way, at least not yet. But I agree with you that this version seems to have a ton of understeer and I've tried understeer effect both off and on and it doesn't seem to change anything.

I also run no ABS or TC but it's really testing my temper because I'm spinning out at a tremendous rate with this new game where I could handle it pretty easily with F1 2017.

I feel ya. Granted I haven't played a F1 game since the 2009 version, yet these cars spin out easily (at least in time trail mode) with 0% throttle saturation. I moved it up to 40% and it's manageable. I'm also running no ABS or TC. G29 user.

Last edited:
The reliability of my gearbox is also a joke. 2 or 3 races and it’s finished. It actually got stuck in 2nd gear during a safety car period on Hanoi circuit so I had to retire from the race. My team mate also retired for some reason.
I've noticed that if you don't give your durability department at least a mention at the start of MyTeam, everything just tears itself apart pretty fast. That first durability upgrade really makes all the difference when you're still developing the aero and chassis enough to take the workload off the engine.

I feel ya. Granted I haven't played a F1 game since the 2009 version, yet these cars spin out easily (at least in time trail mode) with 0% throttle saturation. I moved it up to 40% and it's manageable. I'm also running no ABS or TC. G29 user.
People have been saying that the default tire pressures are too high and lowering them a bit is necessary to get them to warm up properly.

Latest Posts

Back