F1 2021 Revealed, Arrives July 16 for PlayStation, Xbox, and PCF1 2021 

  • Thread starter Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 46 comments
  • 10,257 views
Does anyone else get put off by the game being released almost half way through the F1 season?
This is the only sport game I see doing this.
The WRC series also does it as does NASCAR, it’s always been the case for most motorsport series.
 
I’m aware it’s not new for the F1 games. To me it would make more sense at the beginning of the season. Like all of the other sport games I can think of.

...except the one in your profile pic :D
 
The WRC series also does it as does NASCAR, it’s always been the case for most motorsport series.

Noted that this is how F1 games have been in the past. Also noted that WRC games are this way (albeit the Moto GP game is more closely aligned with start date).

I suppose my original question is, is anyone put off by that? Are we OK, as F1 fans (assuming), with F1 games being released half way through the F1 season?
I won’t accept a ‘that’s the way it’s always been’ response ;)
NBA, NHL, MLB, (FIFA depending on league) games are all released closer or at season start. Why can’t a F1 title be that way as well?
 
Last edited:
Noted that this is how F1 games have been in the past. Also noted that WRC games are this way (albeit the Moto GP game is more closely aligned with start date).

I suppose my original question is, is anyone put off by that? Are we OK, as F1 fans (assuming), with F1 games being released half way through the F1 season?
I won’t accept a ‘that’s the way it’s always been’ response ;)
NBA, NHL, MLB, (FIFA depending on league) games are all released closer or at season start. Why can’t a F1 title be that way as well?

Honestly doesn't bother me really. I'm guessing they would all release to coincide with the season in an ideal world, but they're now stuck in a yearly development cycle which is hard to shift. So for WRC 11 to break the development cycle and release in time with the start of the season, they would only have a few months to make and complete the game, as opposed to a whole year. That's my guess anyway.
 
Noted that this is how F1 games have been in the past. Also noted that WRC games are this way (albeit the Moto GP game is more closely aligned with start date).

I suppose my original question is, is anyone put off by that? Are we OK, as F1 fans (assuming), with F1 games being released half way through the F1 season?
I won’t accept a ‘that’s the way it’s always been’ response ;)
NBA, NHL, MLB, (FIFA depending on league) games are all released closer or at season start. Why can’t a F1 title be that way as well?
I suspect it’s down to the amount of time it takes to model cars and tracks and how close to the season start they all get finally confirmed and revealed
 
So they confirmed on the official forum that the current tracks won't have the real life changes, Australia for example has a a new corner made and also confirmed not all new tracks will be in the game at launch.
I’m not really connected to the dev team but to give some perspective, a new track takes a year of man-hours to make and there are 3 of those this year, not to mention the whole pandemic thing throwing a wrench in every step of the research and production process.

As for the adjusted tracks, my guess is that it’s probably a timing thing. Adjusting a track layout isn’t as simple as dragging a corner a few metres to the right, as all sorts of other things are impacted by new paths being generated.

It’s not the same as building a track from scratch but with everything else that’s going on within the game and its features (and the upgrade to a new generation of consoles) it’s a tough call to allocate the dev hours I imagine.

I’m aware it’s not new for the F1 games. To me it would make more sense at the beginning of the season. Like all of the other sport games I can think of.
The reason is simple: It’s a licensed series.

Every car needs to have a ton of reference data so that the car models are accurate (I believe the teams send CAD models), the liveries are accurate, the race suits, helmets, team wear, trackside signage, new drivers have their faces scanned etc.

Given how highly confidential the sport is that data likely doesn’t get to Codemasters until around the time the teams reveal their cars, so there’s a lot of work to be done before they make it into a game.

This is also why F2 didn’t come until December last year, they didn’t start racing until July.
 
Last edited:
I don’t really see how you can fault Codies for not having the updated Australia circuit considering the original plan was to do the changes after the race’s original date. They are only racing on the new layout this year because the date was pushed back.

There is only so much you can do when last minute changes are made.
 
Man I wish Mugello, Nurburgring and Istanbul park come as dlc.

Seriously hope some machines from the 1950s to the 1970s.
 
I don’t really see how you can fault Codies for not having the updated Australia circuit considering the original plan was to do the changes after the race’s original date. They are only racing on the new layout this year because the date was pushed back.

There is only so much you can do when last minute changes are made.

I agree with Australia, that would be tought to do.
 
Last edited:
I'm all for iconic drivers but why on earth would someone would want to use them in My Team as their avatar I've no idea.

It's amazing that after all this time they've still not got classic content that's better than f1 2013. Surely they now have the financial clout for all (or most) the licenses and actually can create some proper classic content ie. old seasons/scenarios.

And yes, whilst I understand the difficulty of introducing new tracks and implementing the AI around them, not having 3 tracks on the calendar at the release date of the game is comical.

Why bother getting this at release? First iteration since f1 2015 I won't be pre ordering for sure.
 
Last edited:
I'm all for iconic drivers but why on earth would someone would want to use them in My Team as their avatar I've no idea.

It's amazing that after all this time they've still not got classic content that's better than f1 2013. Surely they now have the financial clout for all (or most) the licenses and actually can create some proper classic content ie. old seasons/scenarios.

And yes, whilst I understand the difficulty of introducing new tracks and implementing the AI around them, not having 3 tracks on the calendar at the release date of the game is comical.

Why bother getting this at release? First iteration since f1 2015 I won't be pre ordering for sure.

I believe the other classic tracks would be Hockenheimring or Sepang International Circuit , they can just copy and paste them from previous games.
Still, it's definitely ODD to not have those 3 new tracks at launch.
 
The last one I bought was f2017 and liked it. I will get this one as well.
After checking my games I have F1 2019 so I will wait and see if the upgrade is necessary.
Oops, after clicking on it I found out that it is just a trial...
I will be waiting for this game to come down on price and I will get it.
 
Last edited:
After all these years I think F1 2021 is the best F1 game ever made. It pretty much nailed everything. Kept the great downforce/tyre/steering feel of F1 2020 (it's almost exactly the same, only the kerbs are a bit more slippery). I play this now to get my modern F1 fix because Assetto Corsa is too limited (rule wise) to create a modern F1 weekend.

They never managed to duplicate 2020/2021 driving feel. This is a great F1 game.

It has one very big issue though. While the rain physics and rain AI are very good, the rain races are way too frequent. I got 8 rain races in my last season, which is totally ridiculous. 10 if you count rain in QF/practice sessions too. 2-3 MAX would be more realistic. Did they ever make some kind of mod/adjustment to make the rain less frequent?

I know you can set it off completely but I wouldn't want to do it as the rain races are great (unlike on F1 25/26 where rain AI is way too fast).

Anyone remembers?
 
I still play this to this day, I wish it still had the classic content but otherwise completely agree that it's the high water mark of the Codemasters games - know it had a few bugs early on but the final build you play now is pretty much perfect. I love the feel - less understeer than 2020 and cornering just feels a bit more natural with the car moving around and sometimes losing grip on exit - plus the kerbs are more challenging. Less of the AI rocket car thing on the straights, different strategies playing out in races. Just nice. Even probably my favourite on graphics, something more realistic about the colour pallette used than the newer games.

Still a big fan of this one.
 
I still play this to this day, I wish it still had the classic content but otherwise completely agree that it's the high water mark of the Codemasters games - know it had a few bugs early on but the final build you play now is pretty much perfect. I love the feel - less understeer than 2020 and cornering just feels a bit more natural with the car moving around and sometimes losing grip on exit - plus the kerbs are more challenging. Less of the AI rocket car thing on the straights, different strategies playing out in races. Just nice. Even probably my favourite on graphics, something more realistic about the colour pallette used than the newer games.

Still a big fan of this one.
Yes I agree. Everyone is saying how 2020 is the GOAT because it has the classic F1 cars. For me they're completely meaningless as Assetto Corsa does the classic F1 so well.

I think 2021 is the GOAT. Sure 2020 drives great too but it doesn't have Portugal and Jeddah which are cool circuits to drive.

That too frequent rain is the only issue I have with this game. I think I will start my next season with all dry calendar. Too bad as the rain physics and AI are very well done in this game too.

They really nailed everything in F1 2021. Being a lifelong sim racer (since Geoff Crammond days) this game is on top-3 of my all time racing games. It's so good.
 
Back