F1 22 - General Discussion

Edit, as I type that, a 6.19gb update is downloading.
I've been waiting for some after release reviews before buying but I know I'll end up getting it so I should probably just bite the bullet and do it to get the downloads out of the way.

Couples hours in an I'm happy. The F1 cars feel as I imagined they would, twitchy and unstable at low speed, very planted at high speed. Kerbs are definitely more treacherous, you can bottom out and slide down sausages kerbs if you go out wide, you do have to be a lot more careful how you attack the bigger kerbs in particular. The AI definitely seem more aggressive with moves, much more likely to go for a gap if there's space, not in a way that will constantly cause crashes but if there's a chance to get alongside into a corner they will, in '20 and '21 they had a tendency to back off from 50/50 moves.

Visually it's again what was expected, no new engine yet so it is still straddling that annoying cross gen barrier and if it was starting to show its age with 2021, then it fully is now. I'm hoping this is the last outing for this engine and that '23 makes the essential jump to current gen only. That said, the tracks seem to have a bit more detail to the texturing, particularly the road surfaces and the car models look a lot smoother. The early preview screenshots made it look as though the lighting had changed but that doesn't seem to be the case.

F1 life is what it is, adds an element of personalisation to the home screen, nothing more, nothing less.

Supercars, had a go of the Aston Martin Vantage F1 edition and the Mercedes AMG Safety Car so far, and I find myself in disagreement with GTPlanets review. I don't think they're "plain bad" at all. They feel suitably weighty and cumbersome compared to the F1 and F2 machinery, braking distances are perhaps a little long but not drastically. They are easy to pitch into a slide and I find them very satisfying to drive. No they're not Asset to Corsa levels of good but they're more grounded in realism than Grid and I don't find then horrible to drive at all. They sound pretty good as well.

Plenty of time left to put in to it but I'm satisfied with what I've played so far.

This is rough, VR looks pretty good when in the benchmark but I can’t get the game to run more than 35fps in the car benchmark, but both VR high and VR lowest run at the same 35fps, can’t find anything limiting it though.

Then when ever I touch my wheel it drops to 1fps instantly. I have a 3700x, 3080ti FE 32GB ram for reference using a DD2 and CSPv3s with a Reverb G2. Tried going from the 441 to 439 Fanatec drivers, didn't help.

I'm downloading the newest nvidia drivers now but bewteen the weird studdering in VR when you move your head and the input issues I’m having I think it’s time to refund.

I’ve watched the YT streamer Tiametmarduk start his 2022 career. I noticed some of the car models, in particular the Red Bulls and Mercs, haven’t been updated though the latest screenshots (from EA I presume) show the correct car models. So I’m wondering if there will be a day one patch updating the cars, or perhaps he isn’t playing the retail version?

Last edited:
I’ve watched the YT streamer Tiametmarduk start his 2022 career. I noticed some of the car models, in particular the Red Bulls and Mercs, haven’t been updated though the latest screenshots (from EA I presume) show the correct car models. So I’m wondering if there will be a day one patch updating the cars, or perhaps he isn’t playing the retail version?

Must be his build. The Mercedes and the Red Bull are correct for me.

Can anyone confirm what the ERS and fuel modes are available in a race in the 22 edition?

If I recall correctly they were watered down in the transition from 20 to 21 though I could be wrong.

Can anyone confirm what the ERS and fuel modes are available in a race in the 22 edition?

If I recall correctly they were watered down in the transition from 20 to 21 though I could be wrong.
Same as '21. They weren't really watered down, they were bought in line with the new regulations outlawing such modes.

Also, as a side note for career mode players starting in F2, don't forget they changed the format for 2021. Increasing each event to 3 races (2x sprint and 1 feature), with sprint 1 reversing the top 10 from qualifying, sprint 2 reversing the top 8 from sprint 1 and the feature race being the race where you start in your qualifying spot.

Last edited:
Same as '21. They weren't really watered down, they were bought in line with the new regulations outlawing such modes.
Thanks mate. 👍

I've just downloaded it via the 10 hr trial onto my PC and will give it a go tonight.
I hope it's good, as I want it to be and will be happy to purchase it if so.

Sometimes I wonder why I keep buying F1 games. I think I get heavy buyer's remorse with these games. I love the cars but I just hate the setting. I always have a hard time finding a good AI setting and the game is difficult with traction control on medium but on full, the cars don't feel that good. I feel like they need something in between.

Sometimes I wonder why I keep buying F1 games. I think I get heavy buyer's remorse with these games. I love the cars but I just hate the setting. I always have a hard time finding a good AI setting and the game is difficult with traction control on medium but on full, the cars don't feel that good. I feel like they need something in between.
The new adaptive AI may help with your first point but the TC I agree needs an in-between.

The new adaptive AI may help with your first point but the TC I agree needs an in-between.
Where is the adaptive AI setting because I could not find anything regarding that. I only saw a setting where you change the numbers by 1. I am going to continue with medium and learn it because the full setting feels braindead.

He recorded that episode before the game came out as the cars were updated yesterday.

Where is the adaptive AI setting because I could not find anything regarding that. I only saw a setting where you change the numbers by 1. I am going to continue with medium and learn it because the full setting feels braindead.
Set your Race Style to Casual and it should appear in the menus.

Last edited:
In case anyones interested, it took me about 5 hours of regular playing to unlock all the supercars. By regular playing I mean, not aiming to unlock them. Could probably be done a lot quicker if you aim to do it.

Can you use the mouse in the UI in the pc version?
I couldn't in my quick try last night, don't know if it's by design or an issue.
The game did crash to desktop often for me while running the performance benchmark but ran ok ingame.

So I've finally had the chance to put a few hours in on the free 10 hour trial via EA play to be able to comment on it.

On PC.
The download and install was fine though the EA app for PC is rubbish.
The game loads in seconds but then hangs on the main screen where it says press any key to continue. After mashing the keyboard for about half a minute it finally proceeds.

First port of call in game is to turn off the music then set up all my options as per how I've been playing 2021. No issues there and my Formula V2.5 wheel is fully mappable it seems so happy with that.

Next step is the benchmark tests.
First problem it sometimes loads but more often than not crashes to desktop.
After lots of keyboard mashing and many attempts to load the benchmark I get to run a few.
Start with the suggested settings of everything maxed and all Ray tracing options on medium at 4k.

The result comes back with the FPS at an average of about 85 with it getting into to 100's but a few drops into the 60's. The game looks smooth so I leave it at that for a start.

The actual game.
Went with a quick race weekend in the McLaren at Spa. Expected to spin the moment I disengaged the pit limiter after reading others thoughts but no with gentle throttle application it was ok. It is definitely more tail happy than 2021 was.
Did notice though that in slow corners I was getting some stuttering even though my FPS monitor was showing it in the 60's.

It would probably be playable but I found it annoying enough that I turned off the ray tracing options and it runs at a solid 120fps. I'll look into that down the track because the ray tracing does add a little bit so hopefully it's only a driver or different dlls file needed.

Anyway progressed through the weekend and after some trial and error I found a sweet spot for my skill level AI wise using Lando as a benchmark so I was around .3 a lap slower than him.
The AI is harder this year I think. I'm no alien and normally race around 85-90 but had to drop it to 70 to get within .3 of Lando. Ended finishing the race in 11th stuck behind Magnussen with Lando 2 seconds up the road in 9th.

I'm going to download the free trial via Steam as it's popped up there now tonight to see if that alleviates the menu and benchmark issues.

But the actual gameplay I've enjoyed so far but will use up my remaining hours to look for any game breaking bugs before purchasing but I probably will.

Last edited:
So far I'm impressed, VR isn't too bad on 3090 But you have to set up Resolution in the steam VR settings To get this scale sorted. Did have a crash in VR Using the supercar so I'll report back when I've done more testing. The car handling is so much better than 2021 Out of the box. How would be interested if The PS5 version Was released With a decent VR implementation For the PSVR 2 As a comparison to My Samsung Odyssey 2 Older PC headset.

Quick update on my previous post.

I uninstalled the game and the terrible EA app then downloaded the trial via Steam.
My suspicions were confirmed and the hanging issue in the menu disappeared and the benchmark tests now run fine which I'll delve into deeper.

Started a career with Lando as my teammate and after a little practice needed to bump up the AI level from my previous setting so I was behind him by .3 of a second.

Qualified 11th with Lando 9th. Got an epic start and a bit of a divebomb had me at 8th after the first corner which I kept until the pitstop despite some big fights with Lando and Magnusson in the first stint.

I fluffed the new pitbox entry and exit so dropped to 11th on exit behind Lando in 10th. Managed to get back to a finish of 9th just behind Lando while thoroughly enjoying it.

I think I'm on board and will purchase it.

As an added bonus when re-installing via Steam my 10 hours started again :D so unless there is a huge game breaking bug I find in the next couple of races I'm on board.

I'm waiting on it to download. I thought when I bought it a few days ago that I said to go ahead and download it to my console when today but apparently it didn't. I could have checked when I came home for lunch today but I thought I didn't need to, I guess I should have known something would go wrong. That's how my luck goes.

EDIT

I got it downloaded and explored a little bit for a couple of hours or so.

First off I went into time trial just to look at the tracks that have been updated plus Miami. Started with Australia first. It felt a little funny the first couple of laps because when I got to the changed part of the track I subconsciously went for the brakes because that's what I was used to. But I do like the change to that track.

Next to Miami. I really don't like that slow bit with the tight chicane by the underpass. Other than that it's just sort of meh.

Abu Dhabi I really like the changes to that track. They fixed that first sector which was awful. I've just got to get used to the second changed part because it changes the approach to sector 3.

I did run my usual 50% race at Imola. One thing appears to have changed is in F1 2021 during the race I was always offered an alternate pit strategy. But in this first race they didn't do it. Also I used assisted pit stops but as I was coming to my stall it said I turned in late which caused a slower stop. I'm guessing this was the occasional mistake being thrown into the overall race experience?

Last edited:
I’m on the fence, I’ve owned all the other games but this is the first time I didn’t buy it right away.

How do you run a sprint race only? I see the option for sprint & race but not sprint only.

I notice that the overtake indicator is gone from the in car wheel display or is there a way to reactivate it? I have all of the ERS stuff on automatic but I would still like to know when the car is using it. Or is the drop in percentage the only way to know? The only way I have an indicator that it's being used is the right hand animation when it looks like buttons are being pushed.

How do you run a sprint race only? I see the option for sprint & race but not sprint only.

I notice that the overtake indicator is gone from the in car wheel display or is there a way to reactivate it? I have all of the ERS stuff on automatic but I would still like to know when the car is using it. Or is the drop in percentage the only way to know? The only way I have an indicator that it's being used is the right hand animation when it looks like buttons are being pushed.
There isn't an option for sprint race only.

I've been having a helluva time connecting to online services with EA on this title. Have my EA account, verified my Orgin account. But it's constantly taking me thru pswrd change protocols in order to connect. I've done it with the link and the QR code but zero effect. Still no connection and I know I'm missing about half the title's content without online acess. Otherwise, ya, game seems pretty fun so far. Anybody else have a similar experience?

Last edited:
Back