F1 and fuel

• Thread starter andyparks
  • 30 comments
How much in litres is that if it's over 100 litres there's know way it's got a 100 litre tank behind the driver

Might be bad language

Last edited by a moderator:
How much in litres is that
Fuel density for petrol is about 0.77kg/litre, so 105kg is about 140 litres.
if it's over 100 litres there's know way it's got a 100 litre tank behind the driver
Why not?

And you mean:
How much in litres is that? If it's over 100 litres, there's no way it's got a 100-litre tank behind the driver.

There's no room to fit a 140 litre tank on a f1 car
By definition that's patently wrong, because that's how big they are and they're definitely in there...

However, if you want to think rationally about it, 140 litres, in a cube, would be 52cm x 52cm x 52cm. An F1 fuel tank isn't a cube though, it's more saddle-shaped, and looks like this:

sf1_atl_tank.jpg

(although that's a V8 era 165kg/210-litre tank)

Each fuel cell is roughly 80cm wide (cars may not store fuel more than 400mm from the vehicle centreline), 50cm high and around 60cm long - that's more or less the same size as a central heating boiler.

If it was homogenous, that would be enough for 240 litres, but it's shaped to go behind the driver's seat and around some other structures in the centre of the car, so the volume decreases a bit. Here it is in cross section, in situ:

upsaub.jpg

You can also see some of the baffles in that image too.

Fuel, much like in the aviation industry, is measured in kilograms and not litres because a kilogram is a measure of the fuel's mass, which is absolute, whereas a litre is a measure of the fuel's volume, which can differ depending on temperature.

Unless I'm very much mistaken...

Fuel, much like in the aviation industry, is measured in kilograms and not litres because a kilogram is a measure of the fuel's mass, which is absolute, whereas a litre is a measure of the fuel's volume, which can differ depending on temperature.

Unless I'm very much mistaken...

No you're right, cause aircraft performance doesn't deal with litres as you said for the reason specified.

How do they put over 100 liters of fuel in to this

Attachments

• received_1302141676583887.jpeg
    received_1302141676583887.jpeg
    66.6 KB · Views: 38
No room for a tank like that in this photo I took off the TV
I posted this video but I'm in no mood to discuss whatever you want to prove. Only this, there is no conspiracy, there is no hidden technology in F1 cars. F1 cars use fuel and the fuel is stored. End of discussion.

@andyparks, so are you implying that F1 cars don’t use fuel at all, that they run on a mystery fuel, or that they run on much much less fuel than indicated?

In any case, why would this technology be limited to F1? Why would we not see it in Endurance Racing at Le Mans?

Or do you think pit stops at Le Mans are just a show for the camera?

Basically, you’ve proposed that the earth isn’t round, but you haven’t really offered an alternative shape that it could be.....

How do they put over 100 liters of fuel in to this
With a fuel pump.

And this:

Is in front of the cutaway in your shot, beneath the red bit of bodywork with the E on it. The blue straps in the picture are the top part of the driver's seat harness.

Why are you still beating this drum anyway? It's bewildering.

How much in litres is that if it's over 100 litres there's know way it's got a 100 litre tank behind the driver

Might be bad language

That was the worst video I've ever watched. He pulled up a Formula E car and asked "Where do they put the fuel?"

Just to check (as if I needed to) I downloaded a free F1 car model from The Interwebz and quickly kludged a fuel tank into it. Surprise surprise - it's quite easy to get 140,000 millilitres in behind the driver and in front of the engine. Took ten minutes but I bet a professional F1 design engineer would take longer... and do a far neater job :D

Interestingly the base width is less than the permitted 800mm so there's room for expansion.

@andyparks you could try this for yourself with a basic schematic and a calculator.

F1Tank2.JPG
F1Tank1.JPG
F1Tank3.jpg

Latest Posts

Back