F1 Announces Weekend Schedule Changes for 2018 Season

Not a fan, the 1pm start UK time was perfect for a lazy Sunday. Get up at 10/11am have a big breakfast, wash and just generally do the things you enjoy slowly. After all that it was about 12:30/12:45 and you could watch a bit of the buildup and then the race. Then after the race you got could get lunch ready for 3/3:30 which is about as late as most people want it.

With the change it’s going to be a long wait for the race to start and it’ll feel like it’s hogging the day a bit too much.

That’s just my thoughts of course.

Not a fan, the 1pm start UK time was perfect for a lazy Sunday. Get up at 10/11am have a big breakfast, wash and just generally do the things you enjoy slowly. After all that it was about 12:30/12:45 and you could watch a bit of the buildup and then the race. Then after the race you got could get lunch ready for 3/3:30 which is about as late as most people want it.

With the change it’s going to be a long wait for the race to start and it’ll feel like it’s hogging the day a bit too much.

That’s just my thoughts of course.
I disagree, race day feels so rushed. They cram in as much as possible in the morning, i mean an F3 race at 8.45am is just mad. What drivers really want to race at that time ? People have to not only get to the circuit, then get parked, then get their seats which can be quite a walk. Spreading it out is good. plus they are now having more support races for next season, so for me, this is a good idea. When iam at home, 1pm is too early, Sundays are for having a lie in, big breakfast, then around 12.30 pm sky will start their build up. For me, this works better.

I disagree, race day feels so rushed. They cram in as much as possible in the morning, i mean an F3 race at 8.45am is just mad. What drivers really want to race at that time ? People have to not only get to the circuit, then get parked, then get their seats which can be quite a walk. Spreading it out is good. plus they are now having more support races for next season, so for me, this is a good idea. When iam at home, 1pm is too early, Sundays are for having a lie in, big breakfast, then around 12.30 pm sky will start their build up. For me, this works better.
Glad this is working out for some of you. Down here in New Zealand, European races would normally start around midnight, this pushes them back to 1am (2am in some cases) which will impact on my ability to watch the races live.

So, ten past the hour... I'll just start watching ten minutes later! The "build up" has become pretty rubbish anyway, besides which I usually record it and watch half an hour in arrears so I can FF the boring bits.

If they want more viewers they need to sort out the aero so the cars can run closer together, more battles with a genuine chance of an overtake is what I think most people want.

This is the new family oriented and casuals encouraged F1. I think it's heading in a direction where the racing isn't even number 2 on the agenda.

The second change affects all European and Brazilian race weekends. According to F1, research suggests a wider audience is available later in the afternoon, especially during summer. As a result of this, every race session will start an hour earlier across the entire weekend.

As an American, there goes my already screwed-up sleep schedule.

I'll see how it goes for me, but don't think it's going to be better than having more than half the season waking up at 4:30 am or staying up to 2 am to see the races live.

Edit: Now I just converted all the schedules to my time zone and it's generally better, but there's some races I'll have to get up earlier.

Last edited:
All their efforts so far seem like fixing a car with a broken engine by adding stickers and spoilers. Its price and appeal aren't going up.

I will miss the nbcsn coverage I am a little worried about the move to espn. Start times mean nothing to me I watch most all sport on the drv. I work weekends and am fine with going dark on social media. I am however not normal, nor am I average f1 fan. I hope espn can help grow f1 in America but if not at least my races never get ruined.(well unless I do something dumb). Ahhh I cant wait. Williams is out on the 15th or so a site said. Testing in 2 weeks,season in 6 so much news to come.

I will miss the nbcsn coverage I am a little worried about the move to espn. Start times mean nothing to me I watch most all sport on the drv. I work weekends and am fine with going dark on social media. I am however not normal, nor am I average f1 fan. I hope espn can help grow f1 in America but if not at least my races never get ruined.(well unless I do something dumb). Ahhh I cant wait. Williams is out on the 15th or so a site said. Testing in 2 weeks,season in 6 so much news to come.
I think espn will bungle it too, just keep your tivo remote in hand ;)

Iam sure the official F1 streaming service is coming shortly. Being able to watch full races live or on demand will be many people’s saviour. No more ads, proper coverage etc is what we all want, whatever the race start time, many will be disappointed and you can’t please everyone. I just hope that it’s better than WEC's effort.

Lazy and money blinded muricans.. I´m really losing interest fast, and Ive been watching for over 20 years more or less..

Have they made 1 good decicion about F1 this new owners?:confused: :guilty:

Lazy and money blinded muricans.. I´m really losing interest fast, and Ive been watching for over 20 years more or less..

Have they made 1 good decicion about F1 this new owners?:confused: :guilty:

The share of the sport's profits are going to be split more equitably from 2018 onwards, by the sounds of it, which is certainly a good decision if you're Sauber or Force India.

Getting up at 7:30-8am here on the East coast of the US is certainly a good habit. Helps make more of my day. Although it always felt a bit like how a picky kid feels eating veggies when he wants pizza instead; it definitely was early enough for me to still feel sleepy during most of the race. An hour later will feel a bit more natural, at least to me personally. I also kind of disliked how since they were so early that it feels like the rest of the day has little going on in comparison. It also was too early for the rest of the family most weekends (not that they really ever watched it with me).

Still, having it a bit too late, or rather in the middle of the day, can be slightly annoying too. Of course it is bad planning to think you can go do a lot of shopping or other errands late on a Sunday, but sometimes life works out that way. So having it earlier is sort of a pro instead of a con. But DVRs are magic and solve most of these problems. I'm just glad the vast majority of the races occur during some sort of daylight hour that I would actually be up for.

Back