F1:CE "Driver Diaries": The 2006 Season

Round Eight - Magny-Cours, France (June 11, 2006)

Nick Heidfeld
Unfortunately, that Britisher swine, Jenson Button, is doing better than I this year so far - but his beard is nowhere near as well-developed as mine, since I have been pubic now for 3 years more than he.

:lol:👍 Brilliant!

I just realized it will take me several months to +REP each of these great posts!​

Thanks chaps 👍

I'm quite surprised at how close the competition is becoming - however, there is one or two things you may not be aware of. Despite two wins this season already, Jenson Button's stab at a World Championship may be under threat due to some behind the scenes shenanigans. Allegedly (and I must stress that there is no official confirmation of this yet), the Honda team are being investigated after Nigel Stepney was captured on CCTV apparently decanting the fuel from Felipe Massa's car out and replacing it with Crisp and Dry cooking oil at the US GP earlier in the season. Nobody noticed anything except for a strong smell resembling chips being fried, which at first was believed to be coming from Juan Pablo Montoya's portacabin.

Round 9 is complete - will hopefully be able to write up/post later...

Round Nine - Silverstone, UK (June 25, 2006)

silverstonebq3.jpg

Driver: David Coulthard
Team: Red Bull Racing

Team Expectations: Complete race ahead of team-mate, Top 10 finish

Introduction

Well, it's been a tricky season so far. Not quite managed a point, and I have to confess, I'm getting a bit hacked off with the success of Jenson Button - showing off with his two race wins already. Technically, I am still the best UK F1 driver - except I prefer a challenge rather than a cakewalk. I'm also the last Brit to actually win here, too - so you can stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

Qualifying

Car set-up was awkward, and Friday practice yielded little gains in handling/performance. Saturday I had to manually adjust camber and toe settings to get anything like reasonable handling, but qualifying went well. Made it through to Q2, and put it a quick (if somewhat ragged) lap to secure 8th slot, 6 places ahead of Klein. In Q3, I could only manage 9th, and the car is quite a handful when running heavy. But all in all, I'm pleased with a top ten grid slot infront of my throng of devoted fans... Renaults take the front row, Ferraris on Row Two.

Race - 12 Laps - Grid Position: 9th; Strategy: One Stop (end Lap 6); Soft Tyres; Weather: Variable (Difficulty: Medium, Penalties/Damage: On)

A bit frantic into Copse Corner, but I'm wheel-to-wheel with Jenson and I take the place - and with a good tow out of Chapel, I have Trulli lined up nicely and pass him for 7th... Räikkönen is slow out of Luffield and I pass for 6th place coming into Lap 2. My pitcrew radio me to tell me that Christian Horner has fainted and knocked over the buffet in the hospitality tent. :dopey: - the prospect of 3 points already, and it's only lap 2! I stave off a dogged attack from the McLaren, but by the end of Lap 4, the tyres are starting to suffer. My selection of soft tyres has given me a track position advantage, but the handling is starting to suffer big time, and I'm taking more and more defensive lines. Coming into Beckett's, I see the dreaded yellow and red flags, indicating oil on the track. I go off-line and Räikkönen passes, and in my attempt to avoid the oil, I manage to run wide and into the gravel :scared: I drop to 11th, but quickly regain 10th place and hold the position until I pit.

I re-emerge from the pits in 12th spot, but after the pitstops shake out, I am back in 10th, but I'm a long way back. Again, my tyres start to go off badly as I near the end of the race and I know I've already blown my chance of some points, which is very disappointing - although teammate Klein is already out of the race with an engine failure. With two laps remaining, I am too hot coming out of Abbey and I spin it, narrowly avoiding the wall :irked: A flurry of cars get by before I rejoin in a lowly 15th, with Scott Speed and Takuma Sato bearing down on me for the final laps - although I am able to hold them off...

Summary: A massive opportunity goes begging..., I'll get me coat.

Mood:

coulthardsig1rn8.jpg

David Coulthard

Epilogue: Christian recovered from his headlong trip into the hors d'ouvres and was bitterly disappointed when he found out that I'd only managed 15th. After all, I did try my best and put in alot of effort, only to come away empty-handed yet again. I'm exhausted, but atleast we get all the Red Bull we can drink (although it's not always a good idea). On the plus side, my contract has been renewed for next year 👍 Although I hear that Christian may be trying to get Mark Webber to join me... he'd better be joking. We haven't spoken to each other since Michael Schumacher told me how Mark once bragged about copping a feel of my girlfriend's backside at an FIA luncheon in 2004... :grumpy:

Result:

1. Fisichella (Renault) -
22px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png
2. Schumacher (Ferrari) -
22px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png
3. Alonso (Renault) -
22px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png
4. Massa (Ferrari) - 5
5. Barrichello (Honda) - 4
6. Räikkönen (McLaren) - 3
7. Button (Honda) - 2
8. Montoya (McLaren) - 1

15. Coulthard (Red Bull Racing)

Standings (After 9 races):

1. Alonso (Renault) - 57
2. Massa (Ferrari) - 55
3. Fisichella (Renault) - 47
4. M Schumacher (Ferrari) - 44
5. Räikkönen (McLaren) - 35
6. Barrichello (Honda) - 33
7. Button (Honda) - 30
8. Montoya (McLaren) - 28
9. Trulli (Toyota) - 14
10. Heidfeld (BMW) - 6
11= R Schumacher (Toyota) - 1
11= Rosberg (Williams) - 1

* TM - 33 Pts : M Schumacher (3), J Button (10), K Räikkönen (10), G Fisichella (10)

Constructors:

1. Renault - 104
2. Ferrari - 99
3. Honda - 63 (Countback: 2 Wins)
4. McLaren - 63
5. Toyota - 15
6. BMW - 6
7. Williams - 1

Season Summary

Alonso extends his lead by just 1 more point, and Fisichella makes good progress on Massa. Fisichella gets his 2nd win in 3 races, and Michael Schumacher looks menacing with a third consecutive 2nd place. Passing the half-way point in the season, it is still anybody's title!!! It's another clean sweep for the Big Four teams, and Renault steal a march on Ferrari in the Constructor's, but it's still tight at the top. Honda take 3rd on Countback from McLaren!

I'd do it for you - but i too need to spread it around a bit first ;)

Ah but I can and have done of behalf of everyone who finds these a wonderful read (and its good to see I'm not the only one that throws away a perfectly good lead with a trip to the tyre wall).

So on behalf of us all +REP.

Scaff

Thanks Scaff :)👍

Here's a summary of my performances so far: I've accumulated 33 pts in 9 races, but as you can see, I've chucked away alot more :ouch:

1. Michael Schumacher @ Catalunya (SPAIN) - 5th (3rd)
2. Mark Webber @ Monte Carlo (MONACO) - DNF (3rd)
3. Jenson Button @ Sepang (MALAYSIA) - 1st
4. Takuma Sato @ Melbourne (AUSTRALIA) - 17th (13th)
5. Kimi Räikkönen @ Sakhir (BAHRAIN) - 1st
6. Jarno Trulli @ Montreal (CANADA) - 9th (4th)
7. Giancarlo Fisichella @ Indianapolis (USA) - 1st
8. Nick Heidfeld @ Magny-Cours (FRANCE) - DNF (1st)
9. David Coulthard @ Silverstone (UK) - 15th (6th)

(Highest 'real' position in race in brackets)

:lol: I like what you did with your race report.Its quite realistic and funny at the same time.(i wish i could +rep all your post but for now i'll +rep your Silverstone race report) How was your PS3 coming so far?Does it give any problems yet?I wish i had one,then i could play F1:CE as well :indiff: At least you do know what to do when you get bored...i wish i had thought of that.Anyways,cheers to your report and to F1 :cheers:

Thanks alot, I'm glad you like them 👍

The PS3 is coming along very nicely - after being a bit disgruntled at the lack of games, I'm now faced with the opposite dilemma of choosing which games to 'save up' for - there are so many games I'm looking forward to, I doubt I'll have the time to play them!

As for F1:CE - Formula One was the first game I got for the Playstation and I remember it being a total revelation. F1:CE is not exactly a 'great leap forward for mankind', but it really has recaptured the old magic - although Gran Turismo 5 promises to be infinitely superior in terms of originality and gameplay, I have to say that the thrills and tension that this game delivers is hard to beat - even by the proper race-sims like Forza and GT. It ain't quite worth buying a PS3 for, just to play this game, but while the current game drought continues, this makes for a very fine timewaster :D

Round Ten - Nürburgring, EUROPE
22px-European_flag.svg.png
(July 2, 2006)

nurburgringgply5.jpg

Driver: Nico Rosberg
Team: Williams

Team Expectations: Low points-scoring position

Introduction

Good day, sports fans! Technically, this is my 'home' grand prix, so I was keen to get a result here after having scored just 1 point all year, our team's ONLY point all season (no thanks to Mark Webber, who threw it away at Monaco earlier in the season)... here's what happened...

Qualifying

After a great set-up session, I really felt that the car was handling perfectly, and Friday practice confirmed this by seeing me post the equal fastest time with Fernando. I was also quickest on Saturday too!

Q1, and a new experience this season - RAIN! However, the car was still hitting the sweet spot and I posted the equal fastest time (again!), this time with Rubens. I took the fastest time in Q2 and things were looking great for Q3, but with a combo of a heavy fuel load and a wet track, the handling became significantly worse, and I could only manage P8. Ferraris occupy the front row, with Schumi on pole. Teammate Mark Webber only manages a lousy 16th, so I'm happy with Row 4.

Race - 12 Laps - Grid Position: 8th; Strategy: One Stop (end Lap 6); Weather: Variable (Difficulty: Medium, Penalties/Damage: On)

Despite rain in qualifying, the race was dry, and straight from the start I felt more confident. I take 7th on Turn 1, and pull a sweet move over Barrichello into the final corner of Sector 2 to take 6th. I get good acceleration out of the final turn and slipstream Montoya for 5th at the start of Lap 2. Things are going great so far.. Coming into the final chicane on Lap 2, I get a great line and dart past Fisichella for 4th!... but Fisi in the Renault is a tough customer, and he passes me into Turn 1... But I pass Fisi in an identical move on Lap 3, and this time it sticks. I make it to my pit stop on Lap 6 holding 4th spot!

But, once again, the Renault team shine in the pit stops and put Fisi out right infront of me. We almost collide as he skips infront, just avoiding thw white line out of the pit lane. This is war! :grumpy: End of Lap 8, and I pass Fisi again at the final chicane, but once again Fisi slipstreams and passes into Turn 1 of the next lap. There is nothing between us as we go wheel-to-wheel into the final turn of the penultimate lap - and we bang wheels! I recover from ever-so-nearly spinning it, but Fisi comes of best and it looks like curtain s for me :indiff: However, with the bit between my teeth, I post quickest first and second sectors, and I know a good line through the final chicane could see me pass Fisi where I have done so many times already! But, it's not to be... I fluff my lines big style and brake too late, sending me over the run-off area... I do fly past Fisichella, but I am penalised for cutting the corner :ouch: However, I am far enough ahead on 6th place to hold onto 5th, and I'm very pleased with the points, especially after starting 8th and after such a tough race...

Summary: Best race of the season, mixed it with the big boys for a change!

Mood:

rosbergsiggtpsc9.jpg

Nico Rosberg

Epilogue: So kylehnat of GTPlanet thinks I look like Victoria Beckham :grumpy: I've only worn ladies clothes a few times, and I don't look anything like her, as this example proves. Frank is delighted with my result and has told me that I can have free use of the Williams wind tunnel for styling my hair. (He doesn't seem to know that I already sneak in there for that exact purpose already...) Mark Webber is not a happy camper, and he's making noises about leaving the team. Close the door on your way out :P

Result:

1. M Schumacher (Ferrari) - 10
22px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png

2. Massa (Ferrari) - 8
22px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png

3. Alonso (Renault) - 6

4. Fisichella (Renault) - 5
5. Rosberg (Williams) - 4
6. Montoya (McLaren) - 3
7. Barrichello (Honda) - 2
8. Räikkönen (McLaren) - 1

Standings (After 10 races):

1. Massa (Ferrari) - 63 •••
2. Alonso (Renault) - 63
3. M Schumacher (Ferrari) - 54 •
4. Fisichella (Renault) - 52 •••
5. Räikkönen (McLaren) - 36 •
6. Barrichello (Honda) - 35
7. Montoya (McLaren) - 31
8. Button (Honda) - 30 ••
9. Trulli (Toyota) - 14
10. Heidfeld (BMW) - 6
11. Rosberg (Williams) - 5
12. R Schumacher (Toyota) - 1

• = Race Win (Countback)

* TM - 37 Pts : M Schumacher (3), J Button (10), K Räikkönen (10), G Fisichella (10), Rosberg (4)

Constructors:

1. Ferrari - 117
2. Renault - 115
3. McLaren - 67
4. Honda - 65
5. Toyota - 15
6. BMW - 6
7. Williams - 5

Season Summary

The Championship takes a major swing to the Red side this week, with a Ferrari 1-2, and an ominous win for Schumi (his first of the Season!). Ferrari take the lead of the Constructor's and Massa is now leading the Championship on countback from Alonso (who has still to win a race this year!), and Schumi leapfrogs Fisichella to take 3rd. McLaren steal a march on Honda as well, as the battle for 3rd in the Constructor's remains very tight.

Breaking News

As you may have read in the press, this year's F1 season has taken a dramatic twist, with Ferrari accusing McLaren of some treachery, skullduggery and even backstabbery. In a nutshell, Ferrari accused McLaren of trying to turn their top driver, Kimi Räikkönen, into an exact physical replica of Michael Schumacher. A top Ferrari engineer (who shall remain nameless) has been accused by Ferrari themselves of passing naked pictures of Schumacher to McLaren's top physio - a dossier containing some 800 photos of every nook and cranny of Schumacher's body was found at the McLaren man's house. McLaren were found guilty of owning the pictures, but there was insufficient evidence to prove that anybody actually looked at the pictures closely. Ferrari reacted angrily to the lack of punishment, though, and insist that Räikkönen submits himself for a full cavity search by the FIA - to be performed by Max Mosley himself. :ill:

Another brilliant log! 👍

Nico Rosberg

Epilogue: So kylehnat of GTPlanet thinks I look like Victoria Beckham :grumpy: I've only worn ladies clothes a few times, and I don't look anything like her, as this example proves.
:lol:👍

The Championship takes a major swing to the Red side this week, with a Ferrari 1-2
If the same happens in '07 this weekend we will once again have a very tight 4-way battle for the Championship! 👍

Cheers 👍

I have to say, this was my best race so far - I can't be bothered to check but I think this might be the first time that I've finished higher than where I started on the grid. Perhaps that is because I had a lousy final qualifying session, but still, managing to pass 3 people and then have a 10+ lap battle without it all going tits up was great fun - and probably good practice for online racing too!

What an awesome read! I really really love those little "Epilogues" after eache race, always makes up for a good laugh 👍 Especially the one with Fisi and Trulli :lol:👍

Anyway, I was about to Rep you but you know what it's like "You must spread blibbidi blah..."

Another couple of great reports!!! 👍

I think you need to add a caption to your latest profile picture too.

Mars,

Touring Mars. Double O eleven!

It's very James Bond! :lol:

I hope you write a diary for Alonso for the upcoming Hungarian Grand Prix considering the ugly mess Alonso has gotten himself into at this year's GP in Hungary! :yuck:

Round Eleven - Hungaroring, HUNGARY
22px-Flag_of_Hungary.svg.png
(July 16, 2006)

hungarywq2.jpg

Driver: Fernando Alonso
Team: Renault

Team Expectations: Race win (and a good team performance!)

Introduction

Ola! The Championship is really hotting up, and Massa took top spot from me last time around, so I was determined to get it back this weekend. Not only that, but my own team mate, Fisi, has won three races this season already, and I have yet to win, despite the fact that I am our team's Number 1 driver! :irked: But we're still best buddies, and he really is a super guy... 👍

Qualifying

In an overcast qualifying session, it was nip and tuck between myself and Felipe for pole. I was quickest in Q1, and Massa quickest in Q2, but a solid lap at the beginning of Q3 was good enough to secure Pole for me, with Massa also on the front row. Fisi starts 3rd and Schumi starts 4th.

Race - 14 Laps - Grid Position: Pole; Strategy: One Stop (end Lap 6); Weather: Variable (Difficulty: Medium, Penalties/Damage: On)

A poor start for Felipe and a great start for Giancarlo sees a Renault 1-2 into Turn One - but Fisi clearly remembered 'our little chat' before the race and backs off as I take the lead. Massa is in 3rd but Schumi drops to 5th. It's an uneventful first half of the race, as I pull the gap to ~4 secs over Fisi, but the battle for 2nd place is hotting up, with Massa all over Fisi like one of Mark Webber's bad suits. I fueled light and pit early on Lap 6, and despite a slow stop, I come out still infront, albeit with the battle for second now right on my tail.

But Massa's pressure on Fisi is bringing the best out of my team mate, and he holds off the Ferrari, allowing me to concentrate on staying infront. Everything is looking peachy, but the long second stint is not good for my tyres, and I am driving more cautiously, despite only having a sub 4 second lead going into the final two laps. However, Massa and Fisi are battling hard, and I'm confident that I can hold on - and I do! It's my first win of the season, but I owe a debt to my super Number 2, Gianni 👍 Cheers, my amigo, and I mean that from the bottom of my corazon! :embarrassed:

Summary: Assertin' my authoritah!

Mood:
alonsosiggtpjt8.jpg

Fernando Alonso

Epilogue: It's been a champion weekend, and Flav tells us that he's delighted to have such a lovely pair of drivers on his team! :dopey: It's great having a super team mate like Fisi - he really is quite super, and I will miss him next season when I'm off to McLaren.. but I'm sure things will be super there too...

Result:

1. Alonso (Renault) - 10

2. Fisichella (Renault) - 8

3. Massa (Ferrari) - 6

4. M Schumacher (Ferrari) - 5
5. Montoya (McLaren) - 4
6. Trulli (Toyota) - 3
7. Rosberg (Williams) - 2
8. Button (Honda) - 1

Standings (After 11 races):

1. Alonso (Renault) - 73 •
2. Massa (Ferrari) - 69 •••
3. Fisichella (Renault) - 60 •••
4. M Schumacher (Ferrari) - 59 •
5. Räikkönen (McLaren) - 36 •
6= Barrichello (Honda) - 35
6= Montoya (McLaren) - 35
8. Button (Honda) - 31 ••
9. Trulli (Toyota) - 17
10. Rosberg (Williams) - 7
11. Heidfeld (BMW) - 6
12. R Schumacher (Toyota) - 1

• = Race Win (Countback)

* TM - 47 Pts : M Schumacher (3), J Button (10), K Räikkönen (10), G Fisichella (10), Rosberg (4), Alonso (10)

Constructors:

1. Renault - 133
2. Ferrari - 128
3. McLaren - 71
4. Honda - 66
5. Toyota - 18
6. Williams - 7
7. BMW - 6

Season Summary

The Championship takes another lunge - this time back into the Blue, as Renault take a timely 1-2. Alonso retakes top spot and Fisichella overhauls Schumacher, and Renault also retake the lead in the Constructor's. A poor show from McLaren (and esp. Räikkönen) has almost certainly dashed any hopes for them, with 6 more races left in the season.​

This one's for you, Fisi :embarrassed::tup:

Round Twelve - Istanbul, TURKEY
22px-Flag_of_Turkey.svg.png
(July 30, 2006)

istanbulss8.jpg

Driver: Rubens Barrichello
Team: Honda

Team Expectations: Top Six finish, ahead of teammate

Introduction

Istanbul, and a challenging circuit with the already legendary 'Turn 8', I was hoping for a competitive drive here. Teammate Jenson has already won two races this season, but I'm still ahead of him in the Championship - and we're both keeping the pressure up on the McLarens for 3 place in the Constructors... this is what happened...

Qualifying

The car wasn't handling well in set-up, and to make matters worse, I wasn't feeling too hot after sampling the local cuisine on Saturday night. I got halep sauce all down my new silk shirt too :grumpy: Anyway, a few adjustments to the toe-in and camber settings made a world of difference, and Q1 saw me take 4th place. In Q2, however, I blasted the field with a 1.31.094, some 0.9s faster than anyone! Q3 and Schumacher was on it, big style - but I managed to join him on the front row. Great qualifying for Ferrari, with 1st and 3rd... Renault are languishing in 7th and 9th, with Jenson in a steady 6th place...

Race - 12 Laps - Grid Position: 2nd; Strategy: Start light - One Stop (end Lap 5); Weather: Sunny (Difficulty: Medium, Penalties/Damage: On)

I fuelled light and scheduled an early stop to give me track position, but as I expected, Massa passed me off the grid - but I held onto 3rd. I held onto the back of the Ferrari and I retake 2nd after a sweet move into the final turn of Sector 1. I set my sights on catching Schumacher, but he maintains a 2.0 s gap until we both pit early at the end of Lap 5... Massa is about 2 seconds behind me, with Montoya close behind him...

After a mediocre pit stop, things start to unravel for me big style... I'm penalised for crossing the pitlane exit line, and then get stuck behind the battle for 4th place, and I'm lying in 6th. I'm much quicker than the cars infront, and as a result, I collide with a Red Bull and slip back to 9th (although it's actually 7th, since 2 infront have yet to stop...) Jenson is now infront of me in 6th place proper, but I stick a neat move on him after Turn 8 to retake 6th...

Lap 7, and I've lost touch with the podium position that looked so secure just two laps ago. As I pull away from Jenson, I come round the fast, sweeping right-hander just after the second split, only to find Tiago Monteiro limping along on the racing line and I smack right into the back of him, losing my front right wheel, my front wing, and my breakfast. :scared: I pull to the side of the track and get out of the car... :indiff: (Side note: Schumacher retired from the lead on the same lap, gifting Massa another race win... team tactics or what?!?)

Summary: Snatched defeat from the jaws of glory

Mood:
rubenssigqo0.jpg

Rubens Barrichello

Epilogue: A disappointing end to the weekend is compounded by the fact that Montoya finished second and pulls away from me in the Championship. Later, I pop back into Istanbul for dinner with Jenson and the crew, and we spot Montoya being thrown out of an all-you-can-eat kebab house, the manager with his head in his hands - presumably facing bankruptcy. Despite a bad result for me, I did enjoy my weekend, and Istanbul is a great circuit... and I got a nice new fez too.. I dunno, Silvana seems to like it ;)

Result:

1. Massa (Ferrari) - 10

2. Montoya (McLaren) - 8
22px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png

3. Alonso (Renault) - 6

4. Fisichella (Renault) - 5
5. Räikkönen (McLaren) - 4
6. Button (Honda) - 3
7. Trulli (Toyota) - 2
8. Villeneuve (BMW) - 1

DNF - Barrichello (Honda)

Standings (After 12 races):

1. Massa (Ferrari) - 79 ••••
2. Alonso (Renault) - 79 •
3. Fisichella (Renault) - 65 •••
5. Montoya (McLaren) - 43
6. Räikkönen (McLaren) - 40 •
7. Barrichello (Honda) - 35
8. Button (Honda) - 34 ••
9. Trulli (Toyota) - 19
10. Rosberg (Williams) - 7
11. Heidfeld (BMW) - 6
12= R Schumacher (Toyota) - 1
12= Villeneuve (BMW) - 1

• = Race Win (Countback)

* TM - 47 Pts : M Schumacher (3), J Button (10), K Räikkönen (10), G Fisichella (10), Rosberg (4), Alonso (10)

Constructors:

1. Renault - 144
2. Ferrari - 138
3. McLaren - 83
4. Honda - 69
5. Toyota - 20
6= Williams - 7
6= BMW - 7

Season Summary

Massa wins his 4th race of the season retake the lead of the Championship on countback from Alonso. Schumacher's title challenge is almost certainly now over, after missing a golden chance to close the gap on the leaders. It's still neck and neck in both the Drivers and Constructors Championship, and it's all to play for with 6 races to go.

Glad you like the report, Metar 👍 Disappointing result, but I had to let it stand (rather than restarting) to keep the realism levels up ;) ...although Jacques Villeneuve scored a point, so maybe it's not that realistic after all :P Still, the title is shaping up very nicely, and I still have to drive as Massa - which could be interesting... maybe I should leave that to whatever race could be the decider, what do you think?

Last race as Massa would be best, I reckon... Maybe up the difficulty-level for that race, too?
I'm seriously considering that... although I didn't win in the Ferrari in Race 1 (as Schumacher), I'm pretty confident that I'd get a 1st or 2nd as Massa on Medium, and almost certainly Pole Position... I might try a race or two on Hard level first (i.e. as Montoya next week), and see how it goes 👍

Montoya at Monza. sounds good. Just another reason to wait for the next race ;)

I'd do a GP4 '07 season if I had the consistency of surviving more than two laps without locking the rear wheels and spinning :indiff:

TM - being meaning to comment for awhile, but like most I agree that these are some excellent write ups. 👍

Thanks alot 👍 Really appreciate it :)

Even in a 20% length race, such as the ones I do, you can still fit in quite a bit of drama in each race - that's really the main reason I didn't want to do all the races as the same driver, since each race presents a slightly different challenge...

Felipe
Go Massa!

I couldn't possibly comment since I am completely impartial (of course)... but Massa certainly has a great chance of winning!!

Round Thirteen - Monza, ITALY
(August 6, 2006)

monzavd1.jpg

Driver: Ralf Schumacher
Team: Toyota

Team Expectations: Point-scoring finish, ahead of teammate

Introduction

You know, it's not easy being the world's #3 best driver when you are stuck in a Toyota, but what can you do? Jarno has been enjoying all the luck this year, and the fact that he's so far ahead of me in the Championship reflects that fact - since he is only the 10th best driver, a whole 7 places behind me on my trusty Ralf-O-Meter - THE definitive guide to driver greatness. (In case you are wondering, yes, I did say #3 best driver in the World. So who, I hear you ask, are the two drivers who exceed my enormous talent? Well, #1 is Mike - definitely. I used to think he was #2, but he gave me a dead arm for that :( And #2 is my Dad, Rolf... ) Anyhoo, here's what happened in Italy... 👍

Qualifying

Q1 and I'm 17th after my first lap, but secure a decent 9th with a 1.26:276. Q2 and an almost identical lap (1.26:256) sees me into 9th again, and a spot in Q3. Fully-laden with fuel, however, I struggle in Q3, and on my final attempt I am some 0.7 s up on my previous best, but am penalised for missing the apex at Ascari, and finish in 10th spot. Massa takes pole, Alonso is 2nd. Teammate Jarno is infront of me on the grid in 8th...

Race - 11 Laps - Grid Position: 10th; Strategy: Start light - One Stop (end Lap 5); Weather: Sunny (Difficulty: Medium, Penalties/Damage: On)

A great start for both Toyotas sees us both take a position. Coming into the first chicane, I put a sweet move on Räikkönen to take 8th, and I'm bearing down on Jarno. I slipstream him coming up to the 2nd chicane and take 7th spot...great first lap!! Lap 3, and Alonso takes the lead - Rosberg is closing in on me for 7th and we are side-by-side into the Parabolica. The battle behind me is frenetic! Kimi and Nico are fighting and I'm constantly watching my mirrors as they are quicker in a straight line. I pit early on Lap 5/11 and come in in 7th spot.

A very good stop is ruined by behind held up by a train of cars coming into the pits, including Rosberg and Raikkonen. I need a great outlap to have any chance of holding 7th but emerge into the midst of the battle for 12th. By Lap 7 it's clear that both Räikkönen and Rosberg are now infront, by a good 3 seconds at that. I'm now back in a very disappointing 9th, with Nick Heidfeld battling hard behind me. Big bro Mike takes the lead, but his glory is short-lived as he retires from P1 for the second race in a row! :crazy: Looks like that Champagne and Schnitzel party Mike had planned is going to be a bit of a damp squib now :indiff:

Ironically, it's me who really benefits by being bumped up into the points!! Heidfeld is pushing hard but I lead by 1.2 s as I start the final lap. But it's not all plain sailing, as per usual... I hit a patch of oil on the racing line, right in the middle of Lesmo I - amazingly, I hold onto the car, but Heidfeld closes the gap completely, and is all over my gearbox like Montoya over a calzone pizza. Unbelievably, there's oil on the racing line in the final corner, Parabolica, as well!, but I managed to miss it in the Nick of time (pardon the pun!) and hold on for a well-deserved point - putting me ahead of that Canadian bloke 👍 Jarno finished 10th, and I achieve both objectives for the race - somebody owes me 10 Euro :D

Summary: A hard-fought point!

Mood:

Epilogue: Mike gave me lift back to our hotel, and boy was he miffed. I've not seen him so miffed since that Scotsman tried to murder him at Spa in 1998, or the night in 2003 when he invited all his girlfriends round for a schnitzel party but ran out of breadcrumbs. I tried to lighten the mood by saying, "Hey, well alteast one Schumacher finished in the points today!"... and he gave me a dead arm :(

Result:

1. Alonso (Renault) - 10

2. Massa (Ferrari) - 8

3. Fisichella (Renault) - 6

4. Montoya (McLaren) - 5
5. Button (Honda) - 4
6. Räikkönen (McLaren) - 3
7. Rosberg (Williams) - 2
8. R Schumacher (Toyota) - 1

Standings (After 13 races):

1. Alonso (Renault) - 89 ••
2. Massa (Ferrari) - 87 ••••
3. Fisichella (Renault) - 71 •••
5. Montoya (McLaren) - 48
6. Räikkönen (McLaren) - 43 •
7. Button (Honda) - 38 ••
8. Barrichello (Honda) - 35
9. Trulli (Toyota) - 19
10. Rosberg (Williams) - 9
11. Heidfeld (BMW) - 6
12. R Schumacher (Toyota) - 2
13. Villeneuve (BMW) - 1

• = Race Win (Countback)

* TM - 48 Pts : M Schumacher (3), J Button (10), K Räikkönen (10), G Fisichella (10), Rosberg (4), Alonso (10), R Schumacher (1)

Constructors:

1. Renault - 160
2. Ferrari - 146
3. McLaren - 91
4. Honda - 73
5. Toyota - 21
6. Williams - 9
7. BMW - 7

Season Summary

Alonso edges infront with a 2nd win, and Michael Schumacher's title challenge is devastated by a second retirement from the lead in two races! Renault deliver a massive blow to Ferrari in the Constructors championship. Fisichella looks solid now in 3rd, while McLaren look to have put Honda firmly in their place.

Nice report like always, but is Raikonen always struggling in the races? I know he did better last season than finish only 6th or 7th.

Nice report like always, but is Raikonen always struggling in the races? I know he did better last season than finish only 6th or 7th.
That's a good question, and Kimi does seem to struggle... just looking at his results, he averages 3.3 pts per race, in other words, mostly 6th places with some 5ths thrown in... in reality, he's had 10 points-scoring finishes and 3 no-scoring finishes... he's been very erratic, finishing 4,X,7,X,1,5,4,3,6,8,X,5,6 so far... With Ferrari and Renault dominating the top 4 in 2006, I reckon 5/6th is probably about right for Kimi, despite my best efforts (I drove his only win of the season! :D )

Another great write-up Chris 👍
Thanks 👍 Glad you're still following the season!

Fantastic read, for a Ralfer :P

The championship tightens up :D

I'm glad to see the F1:CE cars make mistakes like the ones in GP4 (though, that's more than the real ones).

Back