F1 Mercedes car in GTS

• Thread starter Lewty4430
  • 32 comments
Slovakia
Slovakia
Hey,

just a silly question. I've recently started playing GTS and I'm an F1 guy so I usually race with the Mercedes F1. Now, apart from GTS, I also play F1 2019 by Codemasters. Compare to F1 2019, handling of the mercedes in GTS is way easier for me even with no assists. I use the T300 wheel by Thrustmaster. So do any of you know, which is more realistic? GTS or F1 game because I'm quite confused esp. after Lando Norris' comments about these two games being arcade.

Thanks

IMO it's a bit of a trick question.

Both games have the intent to "simulate" to a degree but if we take a look at the more serious Sims on the market then it's pretty clear both PD and Codies have tried to strike a balance between the outright simulation aspect and creating more of a traditional "game" that most people can pick up and become competent at.

It becomes interesting in the specific case of F1 cars considering GTS has a wide range of different cars modelled with a wide range of handling characteristics; just think of the difference between a fiat 500, a Lancia Stratos, a FWD gt4 type car and an F1 car. GTS isn't a perfect simulation but it does a good job of having a very different feel between the types of cars.

F1 2019 by contrast is only really concerned with high downforce, open wheel machines specifically the 2019 regulations F1 cars, and I'd hazard a guess the historic cars and f2 cars are essentially adjustments of the 2019 cars' handling. In my opinion what F1 2019 does really well is provide good AI racing with a fine tunable difficulty - I've really been able to make it feel like I'm at the same level as the other drivers on the grid and actually limited somewhat in the slower cars. We all know how bad a job GTS does at this.

I guess the point here is that simulation is one thing with many factors that affect it and ultimately the end product comes down to the combined intent of the developer and user. I think if your goal is to feel immersed as if you're driving an F1 car, both games can do the job, regardless of whether there are more physically accurate simulations out there.

Immersion and simulation are, perhaps then, two slightly different things, with the latter contributing to the former, so really my short answer would be; if you enjoy it and feel immersed, then surely it's realistic enough for you. :)

/Diatribe

Hey,

just a silly question. I've recently started playing GTS and I'm an F1 guy so I usually race with the Mercedes F1. Now, apart from GTS, I also play F1 2019 by Codemasters. Compare to F1 2019, handling of the mercedes in GTS is way easier for me even with no assists. I use the T300 wheel by Thrustmaster. So do any of you know, which is more realistic? GTS or F1 game because I'm quite confused esp. after Lando Norris' comments about these two games being arcade.

Thanks

Hi Lewty4430, good question and I bet not many here have actually driven an F1 Mercedes (unless LH is secretly lurking :) ) so can't really tell. MaxAttack has given a very good explanation.

I used to play F1 2018 a lot before I got GTS and enjoyed it. I have not updated to F1 2019.

I also have a T M 300RS. I can get the Mercedes around the F1 circuits quite a lot quicker than on the same in GTS. Maybe that's because you progress in F1 and can add bits and pieces to upgrade the car, I don't know.

I liked the feedback to the wheel better in F1 - it felt very "solid" and seemed to react more. That's likely because I haven't fiddled enough with settings in GTS.

Anyway, they're both great games, and each have their pros and cons.

I feel if you want the best simulation for F1, follow the steps below :

1 - train hard on both games
2 - Save a lot of money
3 - Sell your PS4 and your wheel if you have one?
4 - Buy a gaming PC
5 - Get a iRacing subscription
6 - Buy a nice seat and Fanatec maybe or if really you are awesomely rich, get Coolperformance like Lando

F1 2019 is closer to a real F1 than GTS, but still is quite far, and I don't think any game can come close because an F1 is just mentally crazy how those cars are impossible to drive...

If there are just 20 professionnal drivers worldwide, it shows that the requirements must be over the limit :)

Are the F1 cars okay on there? The IndyCar and Supercars drivers have said the tyre model for their cars is unrealistic but I haven't seen any comments from F1 drivers.
I wouldn't say perfectly well, but in my opinion it is the closest simulation.

Can one really make that claim/assumption without having actually driven the Merc F1 IRL?
Of course, Lando and Max spoke really high about iRacing and seeing how accurate the game is for other cars, I would assume they enjoy the F1 part on it.

If Lewis can come on the forum, surely he will let us know

Of course, Lando and Max spoke really high about iRacing and seeing how accurate the game is for other cars, I would assume they enjoy the F1 part on it.

That is not what the drivers are saying though, as far as I know all of these clips are from the last few weeks. Nicki Thiim thought it was particularly bad so I'll put the link in a spoiler:

NSFW: Language

That is not what the drivers are saying though, as far as I know all of these clips are from the last few weeks. Nicki Thiim thought it was particularly bad so I'll put the link in a spoiler:

Yikes, they really don't seem keen on it. Seems like a common thread of cars being far more skechy than in real life. Perception a little stronger than reality perhaps - the cars are fast and the drivers are skilled, so they MUST be hard to drive, right?

Well you will always find people that terribly complain about a game and through a rage moment you can surely say that the thing is way worse than what you actually think.

But iRacing has always been known as the most realistic and having tried it many times and driven sports car, I find it the closest

Well you will always find people that terribly complain about a game and through a rage moment you can surely say that the thing is way worse than what you actually think.

But iRacing has always been known as the most realistic and having tried it many times and driven sports car, I find it the closest
"Sports car" is a broad term. You could mean anything from an MX-5 to a GT3 car via any mid engined can-am death machine. They're all sports cars. And you could have driven any of those and still have no concept of the feeling of a Formula 1 car. The level of grip they produce and the speed they can carry dwarfs basically everything except an LMP1 Spaceship, which are equally as unobtainable a drive for the average man.

"Sports car" is a broad term. You could mean anything from an MX-5 to a GT3 car via any mid engined can-am death machine. They're all sports cars. And you could have driven any of those and still have no concept of the feeling of a Formula 1 car. The level of grip they produce and the speed they can carry dwarfs basically everything except an LMP1 Spaceship, which are equally as unobtainable a drive for the average man.
Most expensive sports car I have driven, an Aventador. I hope that's good enough.
Drove GT2 RS and AMG GT on Nurburgring.

So when you say sports car you mean road cars.
My bad. I am not native english so it did not come out the right way.
No I have never driven a formula 1, neither a GT3 car. Been in a Huracan GT3 though as a "copilot". One with a seat obviously :D Cos I know some have only one seat

Most expensive sports car I have driven, an Aventador. I hope that's good enough.
Drove GT2 RS and AMG GT on Nurburgring.
Those are quick cars - and yes, I'm jealous - but they do not even begin to compare to the performance of an F1 machine.

The tyre technology alone is acres apart, with F1 cars running ultra grippy slick radial tyres specially formulated for the car. The level of grip compared even to high-end road car semi-slicks for track use is hugely different.

An F1 car's entire body is dedicated to aerodynamic/track performance. They needn't consider things like headroom, comfort, visibility, luxury trim (to justify that price tag) let alone everything required for road legality.

Like I said, I'm jealous you've driven these cars, but it's given you exactly as much understanding of how an F1 car really feels to drive as I have.

None.

When this car first came to the game ( summer 2018 ) it was quite difficult to drive. It was probably the most difficult car to drive. Don't know if it was realistic or not, but handling of that car felt strange to me.

Then in 2019, they changed the handling and this time It became so easy to drive, that it felt even stranger. The car is like super easy to drive now.

I would love to use this car more, but it just doesn't feel right to me. I don't think they did a good job on simulating this car.

F1 2019 drives extremely weird if you're used to other open wheel / downforce car simulations, it feels like the cars don't actually have downforce they just have increased tire friction at higher speeds. You notice it most in places like Radillion where real F1 cars seem like they're glued to the track but in the game you have to basically steer with your fingertips or you'll spin because all the weight seemingly comes off the car.

Lando's observation seems quite off about GT saying you just slide everywhere when in fact key to being really quick in GTS is by being a smooth operator. He could learn a thing or two from his current teammate.

I reckon by the end of the year if there is a next-gen GT on PS5, Lando will likely be streaming it...

GT Sport is a lot better than the F1 games IMO. I think out of all the consumer sims, it gives the impression most like being in a F1 car with the wind noise. I wonder how it is in VR? Steering ratio seems a bit off and is quite forgiving in terms of how aggressive you can be with the steering but they've done quite a good job given the limitations of the PS4.

When you watch onboards of cars though, all sims seem still quite far off and processing power and complexity to do real-time physics is astronomical so they will always be off not to mention the lack of physicality aspect but I think they can get much closer than they currently are. McLaren's new F1 simulator they are building might be closest one yet. Would be awesome if they made one for fans to try out.

Codemaster games physics seem to try and imitate certain things by baking certain characteristics into the physics and the steering feels weird. The tracks are no way near as accurate as the super accurate laser-scanned tracks in GT. Gearbox simulation is really bad compared to GT to. Personally find Codemaster's GRID games more fun to drive than their more simulation oriented games. F1 2011 was last F1 game I played a bit through on PlayStation and most fun one as you could really attack the corners even though it was arcadey. Newer one seems to be getting a little bit better each time but still feel nothing like you are driving a car. Other sims like Assetto Corsa and rFactor 2 feel arcadey too and more forgiving than the F1 games but probably a bit more realistic in steering response.
F1 2019 is closer to a real F1 than GTS, but still is quite far, and I don't think any game can come close because an F1 is just mentally crazy how those cars are impossible to drive...

If there are just 20 professionnal drivers worldwide, it shows that the requirements must be over the limit :)
F1 cars are actually easy to drive as they have so much grip and everything is smooth compared to most other race cars. Power steering makes it easy to turn, gearbox and power delivery is incredibly smooth and braking performance is mega. Probably gets harder when pushing them to their limits but training would help a lot with that.

I think money requirements is main barrier for most of motorsport plus you need a lot of momentum on your side. As an example, wages of US president or prime minister of UK would not be sufficient to fund one child to F1 on their own even if 100% of money was used for racing so no money spent on food, clothing or housing which makes future Lewis Hamilton's of the world probably really difficult to spot.

At least even with that, there are some really top level F1 drivers that have made it which makes the show enjoyable to watch. I personally think one could get quite close to F1 drivers speed if one could practice like you can do in games but a few days testing probably set you back millions. Cheaper way would be getting good on lower level formula cars so you are more prepared.

Lando doesn't rate the F1 car at all on iRacing and Charles prefers the F1 games over iRacing in terms of realism for the F1 car.

Lewis did say it feels just like the real thing...

My bad :D
I understand what you mean by the money side of things.
But I'm sure it requires a lot of talent and that not many would manage this.

When you watch Top Gear who has driven loads of cars and he is scared to full press on the accelerator, it would scare me I'm sure

F1 = search rFactor2 Pro edition on Google or probably iRacing version of McLaren ( laserscanned + McLaren shared the required data )
but then when Sainz was building his sim that was the first car he tried. He then got in a call with Lando who told him to stay away from that car because it was crap.

Ok guys, let me give you the best idea.

We all know we will never get a real F1 driver opinion.
I'll share my Paypal with you all and feel free to send some funds in order that I may be able to go in for driving an F1. I will then let you know how it is in comparison afterwards ;)

I'm just 20 so loads of potential ahead lol

Lando's observation seems quite off about GT saying you just slide everywhere when in fact key to being really quick in GTS is by being a smooth operator.
yeah it seems he did not play it at all, or just for a few minutes. You can slide everywhere, but that will take you nowhere. To be fast in GTS you need to do basically the same as all other sims. It may be more forgiving here and there, but while you won't be spinning or losing tons of time, you will definitely not be the fastest on track when you get to higher DR races.

For what it's worth, Kimi says it is easier to drive a regular F1 car (but he is playing F1 2019 for the first time here, on a controller).

For what it's worth, Kimi says it is easier to drive a regular F1 car (but he is playing F1 2019 for the first time here, on a controller).

Not that I am anywhere near Kimi, I find it easier to drive an F1 on a wheel in game than on controller so I suppose a real proper driver who is use to a steering wheel will find it hard any car with a controller

Back