F1 TV coverage threadFormula 1 

Jenson Button. I've yet to hear him let any of Croft's nonsensical quips slide when it's something related to how someone drives, strategy, etc — he shuts it down almost immediately as it's presented. The only "problem" is he may not be as complete of a package as Brundle, at least as things stand currently.

Button's never had to lead (or co-lead) a broadcast. He's always alongside David and Karun.

The intense bias in me also wants to suggest Nico Rosberg. I have never in all of my years heard someone call a time (before it's set) and that's exactly the time that was set. Then he proceeds to explain exactly why that time was set and how much time they could potentially knock off with a better lap and, again, that's what happens. Hearing him call things wonderfully illustrates why he beat Hamilton in the same car (luck or not, I don't care, luck plays a factor in literally everything).
Rosberg is a good shout to be fair. His voice is a tad annoying but his analysis is spot on.

Rosberg is a good shout to be fair. His voice is a tad annoying but his analysis is spot on.
I like that we both said Button, too. :lol:

He's good. There's really no getting around that, but is he good enough to lead? That's my only question at this point.

Rosberg is so frustrating to watch because his ego cannot deal with anyone talking him down or not bringing up all his success. He's a frustrating person to listen to in the commentary box because he makes all the other commentators stroke that ego to make the situation feel awkward.

The best driver analyst out there at the moment is Jolyon Palmer, it's just a shame that because he was so bad in F1 not enough people take his word seriously, when he often speaks the most sense and most relatable stuff out there.

Rosberg is so frustrating to watch because his ego cannot deal with anyone talking him down or not bringing up all his success. He's a frustrating person to listen to in the commentary box because he makes all the other commentators stroke that ego to make the situation feel awkward.

The best driver analyst out there at the moment is Jolyon Palmer, it's just a shame that because he was so bad in F1 not enough people take his word seriously, when he often speaks the most sense and most relatable stuff out there.
I haven't heard Rosberg, and Palmer isn't too bad. Chandon's enthusiasm is appreciated, too; he's bubbly in way the other commentators are kind of forced to be vanilla. Though the last two weren't amazing at F1, but neither was David Hobbs, who was an excellent commentator.

Coulthard is more in the Hobbs mould so I can see where there's a "really like them or find him annoying" aspect (similar to Bill Walton for NBA games); David does make the dry commentary more interesting. Been watching the old races on F1 Archive and sometimes Murray and Hunt were a good pairing but sometimes there was a bias that isn't necessary.

Button isn't bad but there's something missing I can't put my finger on. Maybe he's not egotistical enough, or doesn't want to be a lead commentator? It's like; oh yeah, we have this world champion here, but we can't let him speak for too long or we might get a real angle on things.

Last edited:
Back