F1 TV coverage threadFormula 1 

Great article about TV coverage on Autosport today: https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/t...r-conflict-at-the-heart-of-modern-f1/6510759/

There is no argument that F1 would have bigger audiences overall if it went back to being completely free-to-air. But would a switch and better headline viewership figures actually be of overall benefit to the sport? It's something that F1's director of media rights Ian Holmes is especially sceptical of.

For while he acknowledges that free-to-air television will always bring more viewers than something broadcast at the same time on pay-TV, actually understanding what is best overall for the sport is a much more complicated thing to appreciate.

"There's no point in comparing live free with live paid," he says. "What we have found, and this is not just the case with Sky because you could equally say it with someone like Canal+ in France, quite a mature pay television platform, is the amount of marketing that they put behind their premium rights, and how they push out their content. It goes over and above their live ratios and so on.

"We got more exposure than ever before the season even started when we first did that Sky deal. I remember driving around and seeing massive billboards everywhere. We never had that before."

This year has, however, has marked two significant changes in F1's TV picture, with the huge markets of Germany and Brazil moving channels. Both examples show why just looking at Sunday afternoon race viewing figures does not provide the perfect insights in the pros and cons of the switches.

In Germany, free-to-air RTL is no longer broadcasting every race live and instead will show just four events, with Sky showing all sessions live. The end of the RTL deal was a big thing for Germany, but Holmes says the reality of declining advertising revenue for free-to-air broadcasters meant it no longer made financial sense to continue.

"What we've seen over the course of the last nine years or so with our RTL renewals reflects where free to air commercial television is in the world of paying for rights," he said. "With each renewal, the rights went down. They are a business, and they can't sell their advertising for the numbers that they used to be able to. With advertising, while the actual pot is probably the same, it now gets spent in different areas and good old digital mops up an increasingly large share of that."

The greater willingness of people to pay for quality content, especially as pay TV channels demand ever greater exclusivity, appears to have triggered positive momentum behind Sky's audience figures in the UK. When Channel 4 was last broadcasting races regularly live in 2018, it was drawing in around 2 million viewers per race, with Sky getting less than one million. For this year's season opener in Bahrain, Sky delivered its biggest ever TV figure up until that point – with an average of 1.98 million watching the race and a peak of 2.23 million.

When Channel 4 was last broadcasting races regularly live in 2018, it was drawing in around 2 million viewers per race, with Sky getting less than one million. For this year's season opener in Bahrain, Sky delivered its biggest ever TV figure up until that point – with an average of 1.98 million watching the race and a peak of 2.23 million.

During a lockdown when there's naff all else to do on a Sunday afternoon...

Motorsports fans being screwed over by American Networks. What else is new...

Those VPNs are increasingly sounding very appealing right now.

I have heard David Hobbs' commentary over the years and he is/was really good. Very accessible. When did this change?

When Speed lost the contract to ESPN in 2018. Ironically, both Varsha and Hobbs worked the booth at ESPN from 1989 to 1992 (with a few exceptions).

It seemed at SpeedVision / Speed Channel / Fox Sports / NBC Sports, they handled the production a little better, even though most "races" were held in a studio in Charlotte, North Carolina. So they seemed more prepared for commercial breaks and replays.

Back in the ESPN days, they got the world feed and plied their trade from a van at the track parking lot. Looking back, it was a lot more haphazard before SpeedVision started their broadcasts (was it around 1996?).

ESPN didn't used to be a big deal with much production nor professional live sports, they needed lots of filler in the time gaps between SportsCenter, so auto racing was a cheap contract price and plentiful.

Been doing the F1TV thing since early last year, got tired of "finding it" from being a cord-cutter. I don't get to watch live very often anymore and I can do it on my schedule.

Last edited:
I figured the new U.S. deal would be bad from a fan standpoint but not that bad. The price seems like it will make it rather hard to find enough sponsorship to remain commercial-free as well.

Having said that I went with F1 TV for this season and so long as it's available nothing will change in that regard. I do wonder how this new contract will effect the recent growth though.

Speedvision was a dedicated motorsports channel for North America, run by enthusiasts, they even had niche stuff like powerboat racing on there. They also occasionally showed car and racing related films. The channel played a large part in forming motorsport interests on this side of the pond. Then FOX came along and bought it, renamed it to SPEED Channel, and turned it into a NASCAR Poker and reality TV channel. I'm not even joking. They ran that channel into the ground.

Anyway, Speedvision and SPEED Channel had the Hobbs/Matchett/Varsha trio, which had a good chemistry, with two expert commentators (ex-driver and ex-mechanic), and an every man commentator who was a quick learner. I wouldn't call that trio great, but it sure as hell beat listening to Croft's shouting.

Currently I just record races on TSN which has the Sky commentary, hoping that they didn't switch over to curling or some 💩 :lol:

In general, TV coverage is so bad I watch the race and that is it. Tune in for the warm-up lap, tune out as soon as the chequered flag drops.

I stick to my cable because there are too many freakin' streaming services. Is it expensive? Can be. But as mentioned above, I would be getting nickled and dimed left and right for just a few programs I want to watch from having to subscribe to all those services. Moving some of the races off of ESPN to said streaming is dumb. Because we know EVERYONE is glued to the TV to watch multiple reruns of SportsCenter at 4am instead of an F1 race...:rolleyes:

Speedvision was a dedicated motorsports channel for North America, run by enthusiasts, they even had niche stuff like powerboat racing on there. They also occasionally showed car and racing related films. The channel played a large part in forming motorsport interests on this side of the pond. Then FOX came along and bought it, renamed it to SPEED Channel, and turned it into a NASCAR Poker and reality TV channel. I'm not even joking. They ran that channel into the ground.

Anyway, Speedvision and SPEED Channel had the Hobbs/Matchett/Varsha trio, which had a good chemistry, with two expert commentators (ex-driver and ex-mechanic), and an every man commentator who was a quick learner. I wouldn't call that trio great, but it sure as hell beat listening to Croft's shouting.

Currently I just record races on TSN which has the Sky commentary, hoping that they didn't switch over to curling or some 💩 :lol:
God, you just brought back some memories. I discovered Speedvision completely by accident as a kid when I was flipping through TV channels (against my parents wishes, so I would usually wait until they went to sleep :lol:), and when I found it, I instantly got hooked. I remember there being a show that was just footage of races from the 60's and 70's with their original commentary, a lot of which were old British Saloon Car Championship races. Even though it became SPEED Channel shortly after I found it, Speedvision was a major factor in me becoming a car and motorsports junkie.

God, you just brought back some memories. I discovered Speedvision completely by accident as a kid when I was flipping through TV channels (against my parents wishes, so I would usually wait until they went to sleep :lol:), and when I found it, I instantly got hooked. I remember there being a show that was just footage of races from the 60's and 70's with their original commentary, a lot of which were old British Saloon Car Championship races. Even though it became SPEED Channel shortly after I found it, Speedvision was a major factor in me becoming a car and motorsports junkie.
That was probably "Legends of Motorsport". :D

Not to mention the "Victory by Design" documentaries with Alain de Cadenet thrashing about classic race cars. :lol:

It's amazing what can happen when enthusiasts set out to create what they want to.

I'm looking forward to Silverstone. Great that it's on C4 so more people can watch it, and it's a fantastic track that always brings excitement. I have a sneaky feeling we may see a Mercedes win for the first time this season. Looking back at Spain, Hamilton's ultimate pace was very close to Verstappen/Perez and Mercedes were the fastest in the speed traps. All due to the fact that this was the only track they could ride low and have minimal porpoising issues. Silverstone should provide very few issues again and coupled with their top speed and a significant upgrade, I think it's worth a cheeky bet at the bookies.

Before the driver goes out for the test run, they have to spin a wheel to decide the maximum number of laps they can run with a joker card for a pie in the face. After they spin the wheel, they get interviewed by a celebrity that doesn't understand F1.

Before the driver goes out for the test run, they have to spin a wheel to decide the maximum number of laps they can run with a joker card for a pie in the face. After they spin the wheel, they get interviewed by a celebrity that doesn't understand F1.
Sounds exactly as what I am expecting from Las Vegas GP.

Proper F1 fans know what the situation is with testing, and they know it's not a spectacle. What I would say is that it's too close to the start of the season and would've been better off, from the fans' perspective, to be held last week.

Autosport's suggestion was to hold two sprint races for each of the drivers and then the winning team gets a prize pot for the mechanics, etc., to have a party or bonus. Utter tripe, but they've got to fill the columns somehow....

Game Show Gambling GIF by INTO ACTION

So who gets the money if they land on this?

Redirected.
Sky F1 UK has seen growth in people paying to watch after a long time being flat before 2021.
A clear indication of people switching off during Mercedes' dominance and coming back when it looks more open. The same thing will happen again soon the way Red Bull are dominating.

Last edited:
Random thought:

For the English-language commentary, who is the next Martin Brundle?

He might be past his best and his enthusiasm isn't what it once was but you have to say that in the 27 years he's been a commentator, Brundle has been the absolute business and I mean that in any sport. An experienced driver who didn't accept bull and had that acerbic, English wit, he was the successor to James Hunt in a way that Jonathan Palmer wasn't and David Coulthard isn't.

Karun Chandok is a great analyst but is there a former driver out there in the Hunt/Brundle mould for the next generation of commentary? If that's even possible with the stale, robotic, overproducted, straight-down-the-middle trash you get on telly today.

Random thought:

He might be past his best and his enthusiasm isn't what it once was but you have to say that in the 27 years he's been a commentator, Brundle has been the absolute business and I mean that in any sport. An experienced driver who didn't accept bull and had that acerbic, English wit, he was the successor to James Hunt in a way that Jonathan Palmer wasn't and David Coulthard isn't.

Karun Chandok is a great analyst but is there a former driver out there in the Hunt/Brundle mould for the next generation of commentary? If that's even possible with the stale, robotic, overproducted, straight-down-the-middle trash you get on telly today.
I want to say Jenson Button, I've always enjoyed his input when he has been part of the Sky team and particularly in comms. But his heart is still in actually racing and I can't see that changing.

Outside of him I'm pretty stumped. Alex Brundle is OK but is an ex-F1 driver and arguably isn't an experienced enough racer to fill that void. Anthony Davidson is dull, Karun is good but I don't see him being given a bigger gig than he has.

Definitely a thought provoking question.

Random thought:

Jenson Button. I've yet to hear him let any of Croft's nonsensical quips slide when it's something related to how someone drives, strategy, etc — he shuts it down almost immediately as it's presented. The only "problem" is he may not be as complete of a package as Brundle, at least as things stand currently.

Button's never had to lead (or co-lead) a broadcast. He's always alongside David and Karun.

The intense bias in me also wants to suggest Nico Rosberg. I have never in all of my years heard someone call a time (before it's set) and that's exactly the time that was set. Then he proceeds to explain exactly why that time was set and how much time they could potentially knock off with a better lap and, again, that's what happens. Hearing him call things wonderfully illustrates why he beat Hamilton in the same car (luck or not, I don't care, luck plays a factor in literally everything).

Back