F1 TV coverage threadFormula 1 

Rather fortunately I think the BBC will broadcast it online, there's hope for us yet! :D

F1 coverage hasn't completely gone, but I have my concerns about how comprehensive these 'extended highlights' and general standard of broadcasting is.

Could this be a "I'm going down soon and I'm taking F1 with me!" move from Bernie? I don't think he'll be around in 2018. Not wishing death on him or anything, just saying the clock is ticking.

I just can't fathom how a person can be so money-hungry even in their 80s. Though I guess he could be doing it so his descendants have more inheritance money.

F1 coverage hasn't completely gone, but I have my concerns about how comprehensive these 'extended highlights' and general standard of broadcasting is.

I'm pretty sure the BBC will try and get away with as little spending as possible for 2012 on F1, i.e. no pre or post race production, no commentary team, etc. I reckon they will only re-broadcast Sky's commentary with the most them doing just a studio-based introduction and outro.

Lets not forget the original BBC license ends in 2012...after that I think its fair to assume the BBC will drop it entirely and leave it for Sky. It seems to me this was a way of easing the costs without breaking the license agreement with Bernie/FOM.

It's down to the teams to get our F1 back onto freeview HD.
They should enforce the Concorde agreement.

Er, yeah, about that...seems the teams are quite happy to hypnotised. Perhaps you haven't read any of the statements from the various team personnel?

Basically everyone except us, the fans, is singing their praises for this new deal.

The teams are clearly going to do bugger all.

I'm surprised no one here has mentioned top up tv. You could (if your really desperate) just get sky sports on freeview for the months that the F1 is on and not have to get a dish installation or contract. Only hitch is that its very pricey per month and you wont get it in HD.

Cry me a river. Here in Australia, we already have regular ad breaks
True

deleyed telecasts
False

and no coverage of practice

true
or qualifying.
False.

Not being a cynic or anything, I will assume this means no more or delayed races on freeview (OneHD) for some races, but all races to be live and ad-free on Foxtel. :grumpy:

I aint paying for foxtel to watch F1.

Er, yeah, about that...seems the teams are quite happy to hypnotised. Perhaps you haven't read any of the statements from the various team personnel?

Basically everyone except us, the fans, is singing their praises for this new deal.

The teams are clearly going to do bugger all.

Indeed, which really flys in the face of the FOTA fans conference only a few weeks ago.

Clearly it makes economic sense for the teams, that part I can live with, but I do wonder what the point of the FOTA fans conference is.

I'm surprised no one here has mentioned top up tv. You could (if your really desperate) just get sky sports on freeview for the months that the F1 is on and not have to get a dish installation or contract. Only hitch is that its very pricey per month and you wont get it in HD.

Pretty sure the boxes that can actually do this are quite rare compared to what most people have.

Guess it's more P2P sports for me to watch. 👍 Not giving them the money.

Indeed, which really flys in the face of the FOTA fans conference only a few weeks ago.

Clearly it makes economic sense for the teams, that part I can live with, but I do wonder what the point of the FOTA fans conference is.

As far as I can tell, to give the teams a sense of importance and so they can tell themselves they are "doing it for the fans". As ever, its mostly corporate 🤬. While obviously they are never going to go completely out of their way to please the hardcore fanbase, they certainly can do a lot, lot better than they have been doing.

I think it was obvious ever since they came up with DRS that the teams are pretty ignorant as far as fans go. They gave themselves (and are still giving themselves) plenty of pats on the back for DRS, where the consensus seems to be pretty unimpressed, most people are preferring the effects of Pirelli. They then tell themselves the rules have been a success and ditch the planned ground effects return and leave the rules as they are. DRS is only a patch-fix to a problem that is rooted in the very direction F1 has gone since 1998 (or arguably since long before that). I was expecting the teams to take this issue seriously and actually consider ditching wings and going a new direction for F1. But no, they can't get over sacking most of their aerodynamicists and potentially losing their advantages over their rivals.

I don't think FOTA neccessarily needed to force the BBC to stay on..but they always knew they didn't really have a huge say in what happens to the UK TV rights - and many of them don't seem to care that much (after all, it is only one country in the world). FOTA shouldn't have said anything at all on the issue really or they shouldn't have made it seem like they could do something about it..because now it looks like they either lied about it or they couldn't be bothered or they didn't actually believe what they said earlier. FOTA seem to just tell us what we want to hear and then try and sell us soothing words when it doesn't turn out that way.

Pretty sure the boxes that can actually do this are quite rare compared to what most people have.

I'm pretty sure every TV which has a PCMCIA slot (which is basically every mid to high TV sold in the last few years) can do Top Up TV directly. You just get the module and stick the card in.

...just checked the Ofcom code on broadcasting and F1 is not even on the list, let alone Catagory A. FOM & Bernie have no legal grounds to keep F1 on the BBC or any other terrestrial broadcaster.

The best comparison anyone can use is to compare those figures from C4 for The Ashes '05 to those who watched The Ashes '09 on Sky.

I'm against this just because for any other motorsport that's been on sky sports the coverage has been 🤬, Anyone who saw sky's coverage of Nascar for all of a year will know what I'm talking about, I don't want to see that happen to F1 :(

Another point is that it's the fans that are getting screwed here, once again the people really behind the sport are the ones who are losing the most, no matter what the teams say it's obvious they don't care (they still get a big fat wedge of cash from the CRH in the end, even more so with this deal so why would they care?) and BE well, he only cares about money and that's always how it's been.

The losers here are the fans and no one in any position of power in this deal is speaking out for us. The audience wont grow, it will shrink massively, F1 is at what will probably be (considering this deal coming into effect in 2012) it's height of popularity and this is just a cheap attempt by the CRH and Sky to cash in on it.

I also have some criticism of the BBC, why when it is a public funded company should it be 'expected' to not dump funds into a sport that is as popular as F1 is currently. If the BBC didn't have 8 or so pointless channels it doesn't need then they wouldn't have this problem, same goes for all there useless radio stations that all play the same tosh anyway.

A note I'd like to make is that whilst I do have a Sky+ HD subscription and the sports package, I don't want to back this venture by Murdoch and his crooked cronies, I've had enough of these immoral monopolising crooks recently, they make stacks of money whilst the people get a low rent service and pay for it all. My sky box had a mysterious illness where all my recorded programs were wiped today, quite convenient for that to happen just over a week after Sky posted me a letter asking if I wanted an insurance policy on my box that isn't it? :odd:

Last edited:
FOTA get a bit of an easy ride, compared to FOM and FIA, they look like the good guys. It is a pretty easy to understand why, given the fans support the teams and not the rule makers, and of course its the team mangers who get a lot of air time, so it is easier to associate with them than behind the scenes bureaucracy like that found in the FIA.

That said, I don't think FOTA are completely oblivious to the fans, nor do I think they are completely useless. DRS is aimed at the casual fan and not the hardcore, this is obvious, but since we are seeing record interest in F1, perhaps DRS plays a very minor role in that, I doubt the causal fans even notice its there, they just see a few overtakes and are appeased. The reality of course, and one which is realised by serious F1 fans, is that tyres have been the biggest factor in making the current f1 races what they are. Sadly it isn't likely to stay that way, as the teams are starting to understand the pirelli better, and its being made more durable.

I never really minded FOTA trying to use their influence to target the casual fan, but allowing this move to go through uncontested seems self-contradictory to that. At the end of the day, perhaps they were only interested in getting more fans on board for revenue purposes, so this deal gives them the same thing so its not surprising to see the teams welcoming this deal. It al comes down to money really, for Bernie, for the Teams, for the BBC...

...and sadly in terms of being able to watch F1, for the fans too.

I'm pretty sure the BBC will try and get away with as little spending as possible for 2012 on F1, i.e. no pre or post race production, no commentary team, etc. I reckon they will only re-broadcast Sky's commentary with the most them doing just a studio-based introduction and outro.

Lets not forget the original BBC license ends in 2012...after that I think its fair to assume the BBC will drop it entirely and leave it for Sky. It seems to me this was a way of easing the costs without breaking the license agreement with Bernie/FOM.

The BBC contract ends at 2013, they have just signed a new contract extension of 5 years to take them to 2018. The contract is for 10 races per year.

The BBC contract ends at 2013, they have just signed a new contract extension of 5 years to take them to 2018. The contract is for 10 races per year.

Ah, fair enough. Though I'm a little uncertain whether the word "contract" means such anymore when they pull deals like this mid-contract. What if Sky opt to buy out the BBC's half of the contract? Or what if Murdoch does succeed in buying F1's commercial rights?
Lets wait and see I guess.

I read that the government can declare F1 to be a free to air sport. So if their is a petition or if an MP raises it in parliament there could be a review of it.

F1 has a 500million global audience, some people keep posting how this will kill F1 and lose revenues, BBC and England are a small part of the F1 machine and subscribers will cover any loss. They get more money globally by slowing getting you on subscriptions. I appreciate the integral part Britain has in F1 but any number of countries can take over. F1 won't die because those 5 million on the UK can't see it. The others who rely on F1 around the world will get feeds from elsewhere or be offered a subscription too and it only needs a small amount to pay to make it worthwhile. Leaving Sky out for a minute, if the UK just lost interest in F1 and the engineering and aero expertise faded away, F1 will carry on regardless.

The sponsorship is moot as Football on Sky gets 500k-1 million viewers, with about 500k watching in the pubs on a good day. The stadiums are full of advertising hoardings, players shirts, short and boots are adverts, the build-up, halftime are crammed with adverts, the interviews are crammed with logos. If the BBC shown Football every week they would get 5-10million viewers, you would think it would be in the interest of Football and its sponsors to have it shown on the BBC or ITV. Think of all that exposure going to waste but they don't care if only 500k-1mill are watching the football on Sky in the UK and forgo this for the global subscription.

Football has more at jeopardy as its only two teams on show at one time. I might watch Chelsea vs West Ham if its on the BBC and be exposed to all those adverts but I ain't going to watch it in a pub or subscribe as I don't support them, its amazing how many floating viewers they sacrifice by being on Sky. Lets remember that before Football went to Sky, it was a geeky working class sport and not many would admit to following a team avidly. Since 1992 it took on a new image and tuned on its head. F1 is perfect for Sky as all the teams are competing in one program and its a big armchair spectacle which really needs selectable onboard cam and options galore. The sad F1 fan is in his element.

I do see an new F1 being bred but not sure if it can shed its geeky sad image to become close or on par with Football so it may go back to the BBC/ITV if the subscriptions aren't covering it.

Such a shame about the news today though, as the folks producing the coverage on BBC are doing a great job of showing the practice sessions, interviews and really are working closely with the teams building a great relationship. Viewing figures are high but the cost and organization is tough for the BBC to allow. I could feel the fury of the BBC chiefs when Canada got rain delayed for hours and completely messed up the weekend schedule. Hours of Eddie and Jake, then when the race gets underway, its a procession of laps and imo a new cautious approach with wet tracks which is tough for BBC 1 to have on all day and BBC don't like the crazy time schedule of races, its becoming very hard to plan out as more and more races are on the other side of the world now. Eddie can't be arsed going and I don't think many at the BBC like going to some circuits. The Sport is not really fit for BBC1.

I do hope it fails on Sky but I sense enough will coff up in the UK and elsewhere and it'll be highlights only in the future for terrestrial channels.

I watch the practice sessions, visit the BBC site, watch all the vids on there, always watch qauli and the race but I won't be subscribing. I know plenty who pay £40-100 a month and think its nothing. These types are the ones who keep Football on Sky all these years since 1992. Even last year the viewing figures are crap for Football each week on Sky sports after all the years of hype on Sky but people around the world are enjoying watching the Premier League Football and the UK people get left out if they don't coff-up a large fee. General Sky subs stay around 10million for the last ten years.

Last edited:
Ah, fair enough. Though I'm a little uncertain whether the word "contract" means such anymore when they pull deals like this mid-contract. What if Sky opt to buy out the BBC's half of the contract? Or what if Murdoch does succeed in buying F1's commercial rights?
Lets wait and see I guess.

That could very well be the case. FOM and FOTA have probably been planning this for years. Who knows what they might do next? Maybe Bernie shrugging off Newscorp was just a load of bull as usual.

The BBC are believed to be paying around £18million per year under the new deal, with Sky double that at £36million, meaning Formula One’s broadcasting revenues in the UK will increase £14million from the current £40million-a-year deal with the BBC.

What could of happened is that the BBC pays even less (£4m) than it does now for F1 and keep 100% live HD coverage, while Sky pays £18m a year for 50%.

The BBC could have had a chance to save money and keep the whole F1 season, they didn't fight for it. Sacking a few celebrity presenters would save them the £18m.

Sky have managed to nick F1 from the BBC by paying even less for it than the BBC were paying!

The only reason Bernie and the FOM are doing this is because they get even more money they don't need.

Over a few million dollars/pounds? That's peanuts.

Something funny is going on.

A friend of mine misses all the races because he can't justify a £145.50 TV Licence just for F1.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b012t3y3/Formula_1_2011_The_German_Grand_Prix/

You can watch them in full on iplayer, just not live. (without a TV license)

There is perhaps an irony that those who do not pay a TV license fee in the UK will be able to watch the whole 100% F1 season races in full* on iplayer.

*If the proposed non live races are complete but deferred rather than highlights, which has not been finalised as of yet.

I wonder if RTL or some other station is still freely available on satellite?

I used to have a dish that received non Sky channels across Europe and during the hellish ITV coverage I'd watch RTL.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b012t3y3/Formula_1_2011_The_German_Grand_Prix/

You can watch them in full on iplayer, just not live. (without a TV license)

There is perhaps an irony that those who do not pay a TV license fee in the UK will be able to watch the whole 100% F1 season races in full* on iplayer.

*If the proposed non live races are complete but deferred rather than highlights, which has not been finalised as of yet.

If that's true, then I am reasonably happy, providing thee BBC can maintain good commentary. I will just have to try and stay away from the news.

Back