F1CE: Steering Wheel Experiences

• Thread starter Lofasz
  • 89 comments
Scrap that idea the G25 wins hands down. I have been testing a DFP over the last few days and it feels too rough, the G25 is so much smoother. Although it doesn't lock at 200 Degrees and is 11" in size IMO it's so much easier to turn the wheel and is much more responsive, it provides more control when turning into and out of corners.

Maybe I need to get used to the DFP, but at the moment the G25 wins by a country mile 👍

I must agree with you, having recently upgraded from DFP to G25 - the feedback is miles better. Now I've just got to work on setups for my Stupid Aguri in hard mode.

The only thing I will say is that I reckon the DFP shifter buttons are slightly more precise than the paddles on the G25. Perhaps the weight of the metal paddles makes them ever so slightly sloppy compared to the lighter buttons of the DFP?

So its not the most sim in the world. And Cambridge United does not play fotball because they are not playing in the highest league. An arcade game is throttle, brake, steering, horn and boost button. And thats pretty much it.

I bet you are one of those who play f1ce at 180 degree on wheel and think its realistic....

Unless you've actually driven any of the 2006 Formula One cars, how would you know?

Paging Mr Juan Pablo Montoya...

I must agree with you, having recently upgraded from DFP to G25 - the feedback is miles better. Now I've just got to work on setups for my Stupid Aguri in hard mode.

The only thing I will say is that I reckon the DFP shifter buttons are slightly more precise than the paddles on the G25. Perhaps the weight of the metal paddles makes them ever so slightly sloppy compared to the lighter buttons of the DFP?

Once you get used to the metal paddles and work out the correct pressure to apply during F1CE then the G25 paddle shifters are miles ahead over the DFP buttons. With the DFP shifter it's just a matter of pressing and job done, there is no learning curve and therefore less rewarding.

The DFP is a great wheel though and it has stronger FFB than the G25 in F1CE and also in GT5P :)

Once you get used to the metal paddles and work out the correct pressure to apply during F1CE then the G25 paddle shifters are miles ahead over the DFP buttons. With the DFP shifter it's just a matter of pressing and job done, there is no learning curve and therefore less rewarding.

The DFP is a great wheel though and it has stronger FFB than the G25 in F1CE and also in GT5P :)

Yeah but it binds up way to much when you have to correct a slide. The G25 is perfect in that regard (or as near as). You have a point about the paddles though - I'm getting used to them.

They probably don't have the seat out of a Mitsubishi Cordia Turbo either... :)

lol...didnt quite understand what you ment. If you want a realistic feel, then its important to have right steering deegree. But of course not all is so hang up in realism as me..

Its ok man - With the help of a mate we welded up a "cockpit" out of square metal tube and bolted the seat out of a Mitsubishi Cordia to it. Grand total of about $60 Aus to build (about 35 euro I guess). The G25 on there helps - and it certainly feels pretty fantastic playing it in the loungeroom with Dolby 5.1 home theatre and a Sony Bravia tv. But if it isn't perfect, well I can forgive it some because frankly, I wouldn't know what "perfect" is exactly, having never driven an F1 car.

A point to consider too - the F1 guys very rarely use more than the 200deg the game limits you to anyway. Only turning out of the pits or turning around if they spin. With the G25 if I spin I tend to wind on more than 200deg anyway, so its less of a problem than you might think.

All I know is from research from onboard video, and f1 cars have ATLEAST 360 degrees at wheel.

With my limited knowledge, I understand the 360 degrees turn (lock to lock) is normally used at hairpins.

F1CE supports upto 200 Degrees with the G25/DFGT or 180 Degrees with the DFP. However the F1 car in GT5P allows more of a turn, not sure of the exact figure.

As peter_vod69 has mentioned the F1 drivers normally are around the 200 Degree mark for most part of the track :)

Maybe 2006 f1 has less degree then 2009? Because in tight turns and hairpins 2009 f1 use about 360, and use almost 180 in fast turns. thats why I said ATLEAST 360 degrees.

All these "sims" are missing the physical element of racing, which must surely be a very significant part of the experience. What I appreciate about F1CE is it demands very precise co-ordination of brake, throttle, gear shift & steering. While F1CE may not be all that "realistic", the F2007 in GT5P just seems way more forgiving with the gear shifting & steering, which I'm sure is not true to RL.

In any case, regardless of how realistic it is, F1CE, with a G25 & a Buttkicker is a real visceral thrill. 👍

I bet you classify all simracers outside of your personal top 3 to be arcade.
To me most important in a sim is phycics, Sim: gt5p, iracing, richard burns rally, lfs, enthusia, rfactor.

semisim:gt4, gt3, f1ce,.

arcade: Dirt, NFS, Burnout, Grid.

Now that's a more balanced view that I respect and coincidentially agree with. I think F1CE goes a good way to make sim but doesn't really go all the way. Studio Liverpool never meant it to break their backs to attain a full-on sim either so mission accomplished I say.

If someone came to me and wondered which hardcore sim I could recommend I wouldn't mention F1CE, but it's a great game as is Burnout Paradise so long one approaches the respecive games with the proper expectations. I like cutting tenths out of my laps with lots of setupoptions but yet an approachable game. My friend likes driving like a madman. So I play F1CE and Race 07/STCC most of the time and he plays Burnout Paradise and we're both happy :)

Well, wouldn't it be fair to say that the average (good) driver wouldn't be able to handle an F1 car IRL? Therefore, toning down the sim aspect in a F1 game would make sense.

There are also a lot of other aspects to making a successful game other than physics. EPR, for instance, had really interesting physics, but, IMO the FFB wasn't so great, & the collision physics, AI, tuning, & gameplay structure left a lot to be desired.

Well, wouldn't it be fair to say that the average (good) driver wouldn't be able to handle an F1 car IRL? Therefore, toning down the sim aspect in a F1 game would make sense.

Agree, but it start to make me mad that no one is making hardcore sim for consol. It can be done, look at Richard Burns rally (ps2). I understand that such a game sells less, but its still marked for it..

Agree, but it start to make me mad that no one is making hardcore sim for consol. It can be done, look at Richard Burns rally (ps2). I understand that such a game sells less, but its still marked for it..

Race Pro for the Xbox 360 feels very Sim like to me, the developers Simbin are well known in the PC scene.

In fact I spent an entire week playing career mode with the MS Wireless wheel and when completed I went back to GT5P with the G25 and I was immediately over 1 second faster. It's almost like saying that Race Pro taught me how to drive :crazy:

As a Mac user I've never had the opportunity to play PC sims up to now (hope to be able to shortly when I get my new intel-based Mac).

What I can't understand, is why you would care if they don't make hardcore sims for consoles. Why not just race PC sims, & forget about consoles?

Not to mention consoles are dedicated games machines, thus not requiring the constant upgrades or choppy performance that you can suffer every time a new pc game comes out.

I'm about to make the plunge for a drivers seat for my PS3, so I can switch from my 40" Mitsubishi to my Samsung 52" with Onkyo SS. I have a logitech wheel for my desktop PC and it works great with F12001. I think I will put a G25 on the gamers chair and mount the stick shift on the side for my Touring Car sims, and use the paddle shifters on F1CE.

Any suggestions on this particular setup?

so from what i am reading here it seems like this game should have a very rough force feedback feel to it? it's very rough and very noisy with my new G27. i thought Dirt 2 was rough, this is even worse.

as long as its normal i'll try playing it again.

sorry this may be a bit oot.

reading this thread i see most already had the updated f1ce patch with FFB, something i dont have. got my f1ce mid 2009 when the studio liverpool's update servers already shutdown (or so they said).

is there anyway i can update my f1ce with ffb? anyone, please?

I guess the only way is through online, and like you know, you need PAL for that.
By what he's saying is a PAL version of F1CE. I imagine there are still copies of that version of the game on sale at amazon.co.uk.

Does anyone know what are the pit stop buttons when using a G25 with this game. I`m losing so much time during a pitstop because i can`t find the right buttons in time.

Does anyone know what are the pit stop buttons when using a G25 with this game. I`m losing so much time during a pitstop because i can`t find the right buttons in time.

They are your paddle shifters and red buttons on the steering wheel for the L and R buttons, and you use the buttons on the gear shifter for all the others. You just use the corresponding buttons on the wheel to the pad.

They are your paddle shifters and red buttons on the steering wheel for the L and R buttons, and you use the buttons on the gear shifter for all the others. You just use the corresponding buttons on the wheel to the pad.

Cool thanks for the info 👍

F1:CE doesn't work well with any steering wheel.

However, I still think the DFGT is quicker than a pad, through monico I can be very precise and I love feeling the bumps in the wheel.

Back