F1CE's physics: underrated?

• Thread starter Cultlife
  • 37 comments
IMO this game is awful with a pad but a good 8/10 when used with a wheel, coming from a sim perspective.

I too dismissed the game after playing the demo (using a pad), but after reading comments on here bought the full game a few weeks back.

I'm suprised how well F1CE stands upto GT5P and the PC sims I've played, both in terms of physics and graphics. The engine sounds alone are worthy of a purchase, 10/10, in fact I only discovered last night each car has unique sounds, I'd only been driving the Renault, then I tried the Ferrari and it sounds very different.

The game only let's itself down when you run off track, the grass and gravel have too much grip.

It's also well worth driving the historic F1 cars.

Last edited:
It's also well worth driving the historic F1 cars.

+1:tup:

I've been practicing at Monaco, in the Lotus 72. I know I was able to make bronze, maybe silver, I forget. Its sometimes tough to drive in a straight line, but its still a lot of fun. Just to mix it up, I've been trying to see how fast I can get many of the classic cars through various courses (only the "classic" ones). Its fun to use the gear lever for a change! (yes I know its not necessary, but just feels wrong not to):)

I think I'll look to pick it up if I see it cheap, although I don't have a wheel to play it with. Perhaps it is too twicthy with a pad...

Is it true that the online is going to be disabled / shut down?

I think I'll look to pick it up if I see it cheap, although I don't have a wheel to play it with. Perhaps it is too twicthy with a pad...

Is it true that the online is going to be disabled / shut down?

Yes as of 5/12/09, BUT I have been told that is only the NTSC version.:grumpy:

glad to see you guys like(d) the game.. it was a boring tester though, cause I got stuck doing the fastest-laps..

I think I'll look to pick it up if I see it cheap, although I don't have a wheel to play it with. Perhaps it is too twicthy with a pad..

I wouldn't use the pad for any driving game, but the stick gives you plenty of control. In fact, I use the stick more than my wheel for F1CE and even GT5P as it is more convenient, and while it isn't nearly as precise, I have no trouble with the handling.

F1CE is a great racing sim that was sadly much underrated, and like a cult movie, only in it's after life is it finally beginning to get embraced by a lot of people. :indiff:

The total depth of the game does not become apparent until all aids are off with real 100% racingdistance. For example scaled settings is not good for, say 20% races. Because you'll only do 1 stop during such a short race, you'll be entering Q3 with a very heavy car compared to AI. But by not using scaled settings, wear will not be an issue and out the window flies another factor which makes up F1 racing and part of why this game is so much fun. I still keep TC and anti-lock brakes but before I will ever voice opinions about how easy it is and how F1CE it is not a real sim at all, I will take those aids off as well. And that will probably shut me up for a while. It's not a big deal for me that one cannot adjust absolutely everything like steering- and differential lock (although possiblity to adjust brake pressure would have been great), it's enough busywork with the settings as is I think.

Also, I recently discovered (with a smile on my face) that the takeoff is quite challenging with manual gears and low traction control. Suddenly it matters alot to heat the tires and it's not easy to shoot off when one cannot simply hold the throttle at max like I used to. I sat still on the grid with with gearbox in neutral the first time I tried out racestart with manual gears :lol:

Back