F40 horrible!

• Thread starter Sydbom
  • 153 comments
Love the game!

But, just threw away 450.000 in the game on the f40 only to spin out in the first few metres testdriving my new pride and joy!

Its basically totally undriveable!
Tried with a controller since the tailhappy cars are not really possible to drive with the 900 degree dfp, but it was WORSE with that!

Only real lap I could get out of it was with the wheel in 200 degree mode and almost breaking it wringing it out like a madman!!!
And that was also with mods for 70.000+! Soft racing wheels!

Is there any way to get it driveable?!
Turned on traction control and skid recovery but didnt help any!

No way to test a car before buying with my dearly payed time ( ingame money is my work time just like in real life ) makes me want to just stop playing this altogether!
I mean, whats the point?! Slaving away for nothing!
The f40 is now just a 450.000 statue that looks like an f40!

-----------------
UPDATE SOLVED IT:

Well thanks to the other threads about midengined cars behaving very strangely, R8 and stratos,
I SOLVED IT!!!! :)

Well I dont know the problem but the sollution!

Different tires front and back completely takes away ALL problems!!!
Only tested sports hard in front and sports soft in the back and drove about 15 laps on brands hatch and the car didnt flip around or behaved strangely once!
Instead its now full of adjustability ( if that is a word ) and you can powerslide it fantastically if you want to and REALLY push it to the limit!
BUT.... It lost the crazy turn in, but I can drive it just as fast if you look at the times, maybe a little bit slower, did put in a really fast time yesterday with a suspension tune that was faster but dont remember what tires I had on then.

Gonna find the perfect combination of tires for this cars back and front to make it turn in AND stick to the road!

My guess, the physics engine dont calculate tire width correctly and adjust grip accordingly.... Maybe...
There is a reason Midengined cars have FAT rear tires.

Well, its solved anyway!
:)
Raced my little F40 like the little racer it is! Its great now!
I love how breaking loose the tires with the throttle feels in this game! And how the grip comes back instantly when releasing again :)

Last edited:
Decreasing the steering angle will actually probably just make it worse - smaller wheel movements have a larger effect. I'll admit I haven't driven the F40 in GT6 yet but I'll give it a whirl tomorrow and if I find a technique that makes it work, I'll let you know. 👍 If its anything like the F40 in GT5 (or probably real life for that matter) mashing the throttle, even at speed, is disastrous.

I haven't tried it in GT6, but was my favorite car in GT5. That or the S2000, which is one of Kaz's favorites so has special attention to detail, making it an unfair comparison.

Use the turbo lag as a form of traction control. When you downshift into the higher revs, you create wheelspin. Keep the revs low and you shouldn't have a problem.

Am I the only one that has 0 problems with the F40?

I dont know, its the braking and the very sharp turn in thats sort of the problem.
Must be some tuning of the backend that can tame it?

It's a 90's supercar that's been force-fed pure power and literally held together with bathroom sealant. It doesn't even have electric windows. What were you expecting?

Grip

Last edited by a moderator:
You have two options.

Tune it and neuter it completely... or learn how to drive it, and become a better overall driver for it.

What you manifest is before you.

Well my 200 degree setting and completely nuts wheel turning did tame it and was spectacular, but I will break the wheel if i continue to drive like that.

I should say I have only driven on brands hatch small track so far.

It is commonly regarded as a tricky car to get along with initially - but gradually you learn how to get the best out of it.

Not a coincidence that it's rated as one of the best all time drivers cars. :)

Thats why I bought it! :) of course.
Well, gonna let it rip on the nordschleife now, maybe it will be happier on a faster track

Loved the F40 in GT5. Bought it and this and had a real hard time driving it at first.

But when you stop and analyze the way the car is behaving and approach it using real world knowledge, it becomes drivable, as high and mighty as that sounds.

It's a mid-engine car so you need to adjust your driving style to accommodate that. You need to brake in a straight line. You need to be very gentle with the brake in the F40 particularly. You need to not trail brake, and you need to gently and slowly apply the throttle through the entire corner to keep the car seated.

Bout as simple as that. Then it's really fun to drive.

Well, gonna let it rip on the nordschleife now, maybe it will be happier on a faster track

No, its completely crap! There is no way you guys drive this in gt6 without serious problems or driving aids of some sort!
Loosing the backend in the downhill sweeping righthander in the start just lifting of the gas gently!
Even driving it grannystyle is backend boonanza!
And this is OFF THROTTLE!

Its like there should be a wing on it but they forgot to put it on.

The ruf rgt is basically undriveable with my wheel too, but that is wonderful with the controller instead, powerslides and fantastic rear engine behavier.

Off topic but related to what I was saying:

If you haven't read EVO magazines featuring the F40 - I'd highly recommend trying to source copies. Not only great, well written features, you would definitely understand where I'm coming from regarding the F40. 👍

When I drove it I thought it was pretty awesome. Maybe you could try turning on active stability etc.

If you want to do a setup then put a differential on it and reduce the acceleration sensivity down (to maybe 20 ish?), ensure the rear suspension is softer than the front, reduce the brake power at the back wheels, add some camber to both rear and front (0.5 ish) and negative toe to the front (0.05 ish)

Not saying these setup changes will help with your issue, but it sorted my NSX out (also an MR vehicle).

It can be frustrating taming super powerful rear wheel drive cars, whether its MR or FR (It took me a few laps to get the Gt500 to act right, that butt was swaying EVERYWHERE) from what's been given,I'd say you aren't applying your brakes quite smoothly or gradually enough and you arent easing back on that throttle insaid manner either. These cars are like girlfriends, and cars like the F-40 are THE NEEDY AND PRISSY ONES.

Got a 9:17 lap on the ring now, only lost it once under turning and braking geeeently, almost lost it during turn in to the last righthander before the long straight.
Managed to survive the turn on the straight by just gently downshifting and letting it enginebreak like somebody said.
Well it was a very boring lap!

As a person who has owned and driven a porsche 944 turbo during cold snowy swedish winter, with winter tires, without any crashing or lift of oversteer and braking turning into slides, well, its not very realistic handling on this car.

Driving around between 100-150km/h is ok but anything over that and the car is like 90% front end and 10% backend!

An F40 doesnt act like this!
If it did, everybody who ever took it out on an ordinary highway would be dead now!

It can be frustrating taming super powerful rear wheel drive cars, whether its MR or FR (It took me a few laps to get the Gt500 to act right, that butt was swaying EVERYWHERE) from what's been given,I'd say you aren't applying your brakes quite smoothly or gradually enough and you arent easing back on that throttle insaid manner either. These cars are like girlfriends, and cars like the F-40 are THE NEEDY AND PRISSY ONES.

I will detune the engine and its still going to be crap. Its not the power.

Back