Fake Traction Control settings. Why?

TC should make you quicker as a computer is working out the delivery of power rather than the human brain but that would be pointless in a video game as there would be no reason not to use it other than peoples personal preference.

Having different names for different TC settings would be tricky to remember and use but they could assign a button to say 'sport' mode in a car and that could reduce the TC from say 2 to off.
 
I'd say you can do better lap times with TCS etc. because no driver can react as quick as a computer or directly influence the torque of each wheel.

However in many street cars those systems are configured in a safe way that make you slower.
 
What do you mean?

It can be switched off completely but I don't know if it activates itself after certain driving conditions.

On M-cars, "off" is truly "off". On other models, there are two levels of deactivation... but even the second level will leave some assists on (not traction, but stability control)... they'll only kick in when you do something really, really stupid, though.

Of course... this is a subject of much debate on BMW boards, but owners and testers I've talked to are mostly of the opinion that the assists are not fully defeatable on non-M cars.
 
I'd say you can do better lap times with TCS etc. because no driver can react as quick as a computer or directly influence the torque of each wheel.

However in many street cars those systems are configured in a safe way that make you slower.

TC takes all the fun out of oversteer and leads to dog like understeer. If you are on a corner and the back end starts drifting out you need all the torque you can get your hands on to correct it with countersteer. If you have TC on the power to the wheels is cut, the car goes a bit wide, gains traction, power kicks back in, wheels slip, wash, rinse repeat..

It totally sucks and, at the same time it totally blows. It's like a suck/blow paradox. It's in danger of opening a rift in the space time continuum - that's how bad it is.
 
On M-cars, "off" is truly "off". On other models, there are two levels of deactivation... but even the second level will leave some assists on (not traction, but stability control)... they'll only kick in when you do something really, really stupid, though.

Of course... this is a subject of much debate on BMW boards, but owners and testers I've talked to are mostly of the opinion that the assists are not fully defeatable on non-M cars.

Disturbingly, it's getting more and more common. I was at a rolling-road recently, and there was a Vauxhall Corsa 1.7 tdi. They couldn't get it above 30-ish mph, the fuel was being regulated.

Obviously it's for safety, but 30 mph? Isn't that a bit late?!

snip!

It totally sucks and, at the same time it totally blows. It's like a suck/blow paradox. It's in danger of opening a rift in the space time continuum - that's how bad it is.

:lol:

I think Ardius hit the nail on the head with his post. TC doesn't make a car faster, it makes most drivers faster!
 
I haven't been using TC for quite awhile now....but I actually find it even MORE difficult to use it ever since GT5p came out...and I bought a wheel. For whatever reason, I can't feel it out with the wheel and I actually lose control more easily...sounds weird right? It just seems like while using the wheel, having TCS off makes the car more predictable than when it is on.

Either way, there are very few, if any, cars that I will ever use TCS on...maybe the Speed 12 haha.
 
How does the generic TC affect cars like the GTR R35 or the Evo? With GT's TC off, do the cars handle like their aids are switched off? And when it's on, does it act the same as the car's aids? As the GTR isn't a GTR without the electronics...
 
Disturbingly, it's getting more and more common. I was at a rolling-road recently, and there was a Vauxhall Corsa 1.7 tdi. They couldn't get it above 30-ish mph, the fuel was being regulated.

Obviously it's for safety, but 30 mph? Isn't that a bit late?!

I don't know if it's for safety or if it's to protect the engine. The BMW M3 does something similar (cuts power on the dyno). It may be possible to dyno the Vauxhall if you have a linked dyno (front and rear rollers linked and running at the same speed).
 
I'd rather seem the accurate representation ATTESA, S-AWC, and other torque-distribution systems, personally.

TCS gets turned off and left off, why would I really care how it's performed?
 
I'd rather seem the accurate representation ATTESA, S-AWC, and other torque-distribution systems, personally.

TCS gets turned off and left off, why would I really care how it's performed?

👍 +1

I'd like to be able to off the TC and ESP on the GT-R and still kow it was distributing the power to each wheel independantly
 
I know F1 and Motogp had TC and they said they would be slower without it.

The TC in Moto GP isn't your average bog standard TC. The bike knows what corner it's at on the track and adjusts the TC, engine mapping accordingly.

The TC in GT5 is more like the "TC" found in electronic speed controllers in RC cars, it limits the power to the wheels under acceleration more than sensing when the wheels are spinning, thats how I see it anyway.

Just switch it off, problem solved.

As for TC slowing you down, if you are at a level where you need to use TC then clearly it isn't going to be making your lap times slower.
Granted, a decent driver will be quicker without TC, but a decent driver won't need to use it, see what I'm getting at?
 
As for TC slowing you down, if you are at a level where you need to use TC then clearly it isn't going to be making your lap times slower. Granted, a decent driver will be quicker without TC, but a decent driver won't need to use it, see what I'm getting at?
Well said 👍

Clearly TC in a racing game is there as an aid, and like most aids, they are there to help the inexperienced by toning things down and taking away some of the control from the player. For a LOT of people, racing with TC on to some degree will make them faster than they would be without it. However, if they do start to feel that they are lacking acceleration out of corners etc., that's a sign for them to reduce it or turn it off altogether.

Off-topic here, but I had a go on Prologue for the first time in several months, and I could not believe the difference. Even with pro physics and aids off, it was much easier to drive compared to the TT demo. This gives me great hope that standard physics on the newest builds will be perfect middle-ground.
 
Why don't developers correctly represent TC/modes for cars? In a Ferrari F430 the 'manettino switch' provides the driver with 5 settings:
- ICE
- ROAD
- SPORT
- RACE
- CST
.

I was thinking the same thing only the other day, but then I thought really why would I need anything other than the race setting in a driving game?
If you look on the cockpit view of the F430 in Prologue it is stuck in race mode because where driving on race tracks and not off to the shops for a pint of milk :sly:
 
I was thinking the same thing only the other day, but then I thought really why would I need anything other than the race setting in a driving game?
If you look on the cockpit view of the F430 in Prologue it is stuck in race mode because where driving on race tracks and not off to the shops for a pint of milk :sly:

:lol: This would make a very good signature if anyone's looking for one!
 
From the moment i got Prologue i changed the settings to pro and left it there, so for the sake of argument i might need to try the normal mode.
But the reason i'm posting is not the pro-physics, it's TC and yes i'm a user.

Thing is, i use a Dualshock2 controller and although i'm perfectly able to contol most cars without TC some high-powered rear-wheel drive cars demand such a delicate throttle response that when i'm racing i soon find the limitations of the controller ( or myself ) absorbing all my attention and generally start losing places and more importantly fun.

In GT4 i mastered to drive every car without TC, but that was mainly because i had those cars fitted with a properly set up LSD.
I only use TC turned up to max 2 and since i'm not able to buy a steering wheel ( casual gaming set up and more importantly money) i will be using it until the LSD becomes available again in GT5.

It might be sacrilige to some, or lack of talent to many, but there you go:sly:
 
Back