Fallout 4 [Tips, Tricks and Story Discussion]

• Thread starter Cole Brown
  • 132 comments

What is your Rating of the game thus far? (Giving the people wide choices)

• I don't have the game so I'm not going to rate it anything yet.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I was hesitant to create a backstory for my character because I didn't want it to contradict the story later on - and I sunk a lot of my early skill points into boosting SPECIAL stats as I thought I had to upgrade each one before I could unlock perks.

My character's backstory started to emerge from my style of play:
I realised early on that the Minutemen would not be much help in finding Shaun, and I don't fully trust Preston; he seems to be a romantic in a world where that is likely to get you killed, and his over-reliance on Mama Murphy makes me wonder if he really is an effective leader. So I sided with Nick, and while he got me to Kellogg, his plan from that point on seemed insane. That prompted me to go to the Brotherhood as they're opposed to the Institute, but I felt like I was becoming their errand boy, and while I was willing to entertain that for a while, I think Maxson is using me to do his dirty work. Now I am working for the Railroad, waiting to see if they can get me in.
From that point on, I decided that my character, Ciarán, worked for Defense Matériel, or the branch of the armed forces that manages resources; essentially he's a cross between an accountant and a warehouse manager - he went through basic training, but never really saw combat.
But in the story itself
it's said between general conversation and his wife, that he was a soldier who had just got out, or I miss heard something.
I'll be updating the thread with new stuff later today guys. Schools out, I have time.

Also, has anyone seen the underground structure someone found with a door and light, but couldn't get in it. I'll link it other wise. Future DLC possibly or just a tossed idea?

Anyone who is in the armed forces is considered a soldier - even if they work in a branch like Defence Matériel Command. They all go through the same training.
The way I took it, in the opening sequence with Ron Perlman about the wars. I figured that he had actually seen a lot of time.

The way I took it, in the opening sequence with Ron Perlman about the wars. I figured that he had actually seen a lot of time.
It's vague enough to be open to interpretation.
Given the way the Vaults were used for questionable social engineering experiments, I got the feeling that Vault-Tec wouldn't have targeted the most prominent members of the armed forces. In my mind, Ciarán is one of the ordinary guys who kept the wheels of the war machine turning rather than an indomitable hero.

It's vague enough to be open to interpretation.
Given the way the Vaults were used for questionable social engineering experiments, I got the feeling that Vault-Tec wouldn't have targeted the most prominent members of the armed forces. In my mind, Ciarán is one of the ordinary guys who kept the wheels of the war machine turning rather than an indomitable hero.
True, to think about it I've always thought of my guy as a prominent figure who worked his way up through infantry and henceforth.

I like having all the maps and stuff in one handy spot.👍 Is it actually possible to power a TV and turn it on?

Argh, I have just run into two annoying glitches:

First, I was trying to do "Last Voyage of the USS Constitution". The last stage is to recover the Posideon radar parts, but the gane doesn't give me a location. I went to the location that I got it from last time, but it wasn't there.

Secondly, I was finishing "The Silver Shroud", and I had to visit Hancock dressed as the Shroud. However, because I finished "The Big Dig" first, Hancock just wants to talk about travelling.

Secondly, I was finishing "The Silver Shroud", and I had to visit Hancock dressed as the Shroud. However, because I finished "The Big Dig" first, Hancock just wants to talk about travelling.
Same thing happened to me, thought I missed something. Have not done 'Last Voyage', but will keep an eye out now.

Same thing happened to me, thought I missed something.
I had the same issue with "The Lost Patrol" - the Brotherhood arrived before I finished it, so I had to go through several missions for them before I could complete it. I am hoping that the same thing will happen here with Hancock.

Not a companion as such, but a guy called Sheffield who sits outside next to Lorenzo's in Diamond City, I had an option for him to work for me so he now helps the crops at red Rocket.

Not a companion as such, but a guy called Sheffield who sits outside next to Lorenzo's in Diamond City, I had an option for him to work for me so he now helps the crops at red Rocket.
Yeah, I think you can recruit settlers like that, but Sheffield is the only one I have found so far.

For the price of a Nuka Cola, he was pretty cheap! I have him working defence at Sanctuary, though since all Settlers run and defend during a raid anyway, eventually I'll do away with guard stations in favour of an all auto-turret defence. I also made sure to give Sheffield a nice suit and hat, he looked so bummy with his rags on.:lol:

Yeah, I think you can recruit settlers like that, but Sheffield is the only one I have found so far.

Me too.

I voted this game a 95%. I have around 90 hours invested and most of that is in the settlements. Absolutely loving this game.

Had to make some tough campaign decisions last night.

Found out Paladin Danse is a Synth. Luckily I had my Charisma at 10 for each dialog option. I was able to keep him alive, make the BOS happy at the same time, along with making Piper happy. :)

I also decided to wipe out the Railroad and save PAM.

I am planning to attack the Institute eventually. Overall quite a productive night.

Last edited:
I am so sorry guys. I've been busy. Final preps for the Holidays then should be getting back n track to doing nothing again :D

Been trying to post this for days. It hasn't yet, hopefully it does today.

I gave this game a 95%. I have around 90 hours invested and most of that is in the settlements. Absolutely loving this game.

Had to make some tough campaign decisions last night.

Found out Paladin Danse is a Synth. Luckily I had my Charisma at 10 for each dialog option. I was able to keep him alive, make the BOS happy at the same time, along with making Piper happy. :)

I also decided to wipe out the Railroad and save PAM.

I am planning to attack the Institute eventually. Overall quite a productive night.
I was always on edge about Danse. But, that's a good warning none the less.

Railroad. Eh...Never liked them, from the first moment I walked in I wanted to start laying into people.

As for the institute. I must be the only person who sees them as the good entity. I don't like that they are taking people and replacing them with synths. As I still don't like the BOS from NV and Fallout 3, just in general they seem to be for the betterment of the world. I'm at a crossroads right now, where if I continue, I can no longer go with anyone but the Institute. I guess I'll be doing that. Even if they all are Synths. I trust them more than anyone because they are the closest thing to humanity in the wasteland.

I was always on edge about Danse. But, that's a good warning none the less.

Railroad. Eh...Never liked them, from the first moment I walked in I wanted to start laying into people.

As for the institute. I must be the only person who sees them as the good entity. I don't like that they are taking people and replacing them with synths. As I still don't like the BOS from NV and Fallout 3, just in general they seem to be for the betterment of the world. I'm at a crossroads right now, where if I continue, I can no longer go with anyone but the Institute. I guess I'll be doing that. Even if they all are Synths. I trust them more than anyone because they are the closest thing to humanity in the wasteland.
one of the brilliant things bethesda has done, is having done all the endings morally grey. the closest to a good ending is the minutemen. I picked the institute first as initially they seemed like the good guys but either way you have to spill a lot of blood and the populace will not like it.

Found a source of bags of cement.
At Somerville Place, the settlement, just up the hill to a bunker with a Sentry bot in a cage outsside, to the side is a pallet with three or four bags of cement, several times now these have re-spawned for me.

Beat the main part of the campaign over the weekend. I stuck with the BOS and the MM, decided to take out the Railroad and take down the Institute. Really messed with my head for a bit when Shaun (the younger son) was there. Took me a minute or so to realize it was a Synth. Whew that messed my head up a bit. haha Eventually blew the entire place up. Didnt actually expect that to be the very end of the game. So I was surprised when the end credits rolled shortly after that.

I still have a lot of building and side missions I would like to do with this character. I will start another character eventually and choose to side with the Institute and see how the game plays out.

Beat the main part of the campaign over the weekend. I stuck with the BOS and the MM, decided to take out the Railroad and take down the Institute. Really messed with my head for a bit when Shaun (the younger son) was there. Took me a minute or so to realize it was a Synth. Whew that messed my head up a bit. haha Eventually blew the entire place up. Didnt actually expect that to be the very end of the game. So I was surprised when the end credits rolled shortly after that.

I still have a lot of building and side missions I would like to do with this character. I will start another character eventually and choose to side with the Institute and see how the game plays out.
I would recommend if you plan to side with the institute also work with the railroad it will give you more missions. From siding with each faction. I think the railroad has the best faction quests and most of it can be played alongside with the institute.

I would recommend if you plan to side with the institute also work with the railroad it will give you more missions. From siding with each faction. I think the railroad has the best faction quests and most of it can be played alongside with the institute.
Thank you for the advice. I will go that route for sure on my next playthrough.

Thank you for the advice. I will go that route for sure on my next playthrough.
Having now finished my 4th play through its quite clear some factions aren't as fleshed out as others. But that may be solved with dlc or mods

So had an interesting event at The Castle settlement. Keep in mind this is a settlement that had at least 21 people, over 75 defense, food was somewhere in the 30's, water in the 40s. I was away a couple days and when I returned, it says I have 0 power, 0 food, 5 defense and only a couple people. I go into the crafting menu and sure enough ALL of my defenses, crops, water, everything have been destroyed. :eek::eek: Took me a couple hours and quite a few resources to repair all of the crops, all of the power, the turrets, and the get the water running again. Wow seriously was this placed hit with multiple nukes while I was gone? :scared::eek: That also reminds me, I really need to fortify the walls at that place for sure now.

I have around 18 settlements now and Romanced Piper. :sly:

Yes, you should fortify the walls there. If you don't, enemies will be able to attack from multiple directions. If you close them up, they can only come through the entrance where it's easy to focus fire with a couple of turrets and guard posts. I also noticed there's a bug sometimes that lists your defense/beds/etc. as lower, then when you arrive at the settlement, the defense/beds/etc. are still there. :S

But perhaps a Supermutant suicider or two made it in?

Yes, you should fortify the walls there. If you don't, enemies will be able to attack from multiple directions. If you close them up, they can only come through the entrance where it's easy to focus fire with a couple of turrets and guard posts. I also noticed there's a bug sometimes that lists your defense/beds/etc. as lower, then when you arrive at the settlement, the defense/beds/etc. are still there. :S

But perhaps a Supermutant suicider or two made it in?
That is exactly what I think happened. Because EVERYTHING related to food, water, or defense, was destroyed. I don't mind, it gives me a chance to use some of the resources I have been hoarding for over 100+ hours of gameplay. :sly:
Next time I play, I will fortify the Castle wall for sure.

I really need to fortify the walls at that place for sure now.

Yes, you do. And if you put a few airline chairs across the doorway, that'll stop the bad guys getting in. Seriously. The only thing I've seen get past airline chairs is Brahmin. Settlers, Raiders, Super Mutants and the Sole Survivor are blocked.

This is how I stopped Settlers from rushing out and getting killed in an artillery strike.

But it won't stop bad guys spawning inside the Castle.

PS Maybe you could repair the walls with airline chairs....

Back