Fanatec Community Manager introduction

Germany
Germany
Hi everyone!

My name is Dom, and I’m the new Community Manager for Fanatec. I’ve been a sim enthusiast for many years, since the old Grand Prix Legends days! Previously, I was editor of Sim Racer Magazine in the UK, and more recently a writer for RoadtoVR.com, and I’ve always kept a close eye on developments in this outstanding hobby of ours.

I’ll be keenly following all relevant online communities, with the aim to promote positive discussion about our sim hardware, and to point people to our product site if they’re looking for more detailed information. For existing customers, I’ll try to answer their questions as quickly as I can, or to direct them to our support department if the query requires a more specific response. I hope to bring Fanatec and the broader sim racing community closer together by being the first point of contact whenever possible.

Happy sim racing!

Hi everyone!

My name is Dom, and I’m the new Community Manager for Fanatec. I’ve been a sim enthusiast for many years, since the old Grand Prix Legends days! Previously, I was editor of Sim Racer Magazine in the UK, and more recently a writer for RoadtoVR.com, and I’ve always kept a close eye on developments in this outstanding hobby of ours.

I’ll be keenly following all relevant online communities, with the aim to promote positive discussion about our sim hardware, and to point people to our product site if they’re looking for more detailed information. For existing customers, I’ll try to answer their questions as quickly as I can, or to direct them to our support department if the query requires a more specific response. I hope to bring Fanatec and the broader sim racing community closer together by being the first point of contact whenever possible.

Happy sim racing!

Cool!! Maybe you should start to go through all existing threads in GTPLANET that have on their main issue, something that has to do with Fanatec... and besides introducing yourself, and probably helping in the way you can... adressing the guys that read those threads to... probably a main Thread that will "center" all issues regarding Fanatec! :)

Cool!! Maybe you should start to go through all existing threads in GTPLANET that have on their main issue, something that has to do with Fanatec... and besides introducing yourself, and probably helping in the way you can... adressing the guys that read those threads to... probably a main Thread that will "center" all issues regarding Fanatec! :)
Indeed, that sounds like a plan! However there are many discussions across a wide variety of social platforms that need my attention, so this will be a gradual process. GTPlanet will always be on my radar, that's for sure :)

Indeed, that sounds like a plan! However there are many discussions across a wide variety of social platforms that need my attention, so this will be a gradual process. GTPlanet will always be on my radar, that's for sure :)

You should... Regarding GTS this is the main one Worlwide... And you may also see some more threads about Fanatec on the other main threads from other Racing games... (AC, F1, Dirt, PCars..) and of course on the Sim Racing Hardware (of course! :)

Welcome Dom! Good initiative. RoadtoVR is also fun to follow and read. Keep up the same quality and all will be fine. We happy, you happy and Thomas happy. Sounds very hippy '70s right...I'm a result of it ;)

Welcome Dom.
New Zealand has a sim racing community too, maybe having your products available to kiwis would be a good start to expanding your community ;)
It is hard seeing all your beautiful looking products and knowing I cant buy any of it :banghead:

Hi everyone!

Happy sim racing!

Great to see Fanatec put a dedicated community manager in place! All your efforts will be greatly appreciated!

Great to see Fanatec put a dedicated community manager in place! All your efforts will be greatly appreciated!
Firstly, welcome! '
I Have some questions, as I am considering Fanatec for playing mostly I think on Gran Turismo Sport, but also I will more and more do PC sims. I have not driven for a few years so I am about to get everything I need. I am based in Melbourne Australia.

My questions:
Firstly: The gear shift from Fanatec is quite expensive but a cheaper one is listed on the Australian website for Fanatec (The CSR shifter kit) which is one third the price of the Clubsport Shifter V1.5. If I order a wheelbase and wheel and brakes and also the CSR shifter kit, will the lack of the supply of the cheaper gearshift delay the whole delivery?

Secondly, can I use my old Logitech G27 gearshift device on the CS Elite for PS4 wheelbase?

Thirdly, I have been looking at pedals but I've seen that the V3 pedals cost relatively more in Australia than in the USA, when compared to for instance the CS Elite PS4 wheel bundle setup do. In the USA, the inverted V3 wheel kit costs the same as the CS Elite PS4 bundle; but in Australia, the same inverted brake V3 kit costs 12% more than the same as Australia CS Elite PS4 bundle does. Hence I feel I am loosing value if I bought, for instance, the inverted V3 brake kit.
I like the V3 kit but I have wondered, when will its brakes be upgraded to 16 bit? If that is not known, will an upgrade path to 16 bit brakes be available if the model's brakes changed to 16 Bit? I have noticed, that the Elite brake kit equipped with a load cell, is 16 bit. There are some 3rd party conversions for 16 bit brakes for the V3 and some reviewers say they respond quicker for things like letting go of the brakes. Hence if I pay a premium for V3 pedals, will the brake bit data be upgradable if and when Fanatec upgrade the brake's data path? Otherwise I might save all that money and just get the Load Cell upgrade with the PS4 wheel bundle.

Cheers
MP

Last edited:
Secondly, can I use my old Logitech G27 gearshift device on the CS Elite for PS4 wheelbase?
No.
I have noticed, that the Elite brake kit equipped with a load cell, is 16 bit.
Keep in mind that you get 16 bit only if you plug the pedals directly in the PC.
  • Max resolution depending on the connection:
    • through CSW B V1 / CSW B V2 / CS WB V2.5 / CSL E WB / CSL E RW PS4: 12 bit (4096 values) on all axes
    • USB direct connection (PC): brake 16 bit (65536 values) / clutch and throttle: 12 bit (4096 values)

No.

Keep in mind that you get 16 bit only if you plug the pedals directly in the PC.
  • Max resolution depending on the connection:
    • through CSW B V1 / CSW B V2 / CS WB V2.5 / CSL E WB / CSL E RW PS4: 12 bit (4096 values) on all axes
    • USB direct connection (PC): brake 16 bit (65536 values) / clutch and throttle: 12 bit (4096 values)

Yes, I realised that would be the case.

It seemed from a review I read, that with 16 bit and a short throw on the brake, then the PC would halt the brake function earlier than with 12 bit and a longer throw ... which made sense to me. I am somewhat dubious that 16 bit would improve much else, and I think a short throw for braking would help release the brakes more quickly much more radically than a change from 12 to 16 bit.

Also from one review site they felt the Elite peddles were just as good to use and maybe faster - they covered themselves by saying that getting used to your gear is important, and that they were not as used to the V3s. However the V3 has a longer distance for its peddles - which would be good IMO for the accelerator, but not for the brake, if letting go of the brakes quickly does improve times, which IMO it might. But one can shorten the distance for the brake on the V3 quite a lot. I am not sure how short the brakes can be for the Elite brake. I think you shorten them by putting in the hardest foam plug and then calibrate the brake accordingly.

The 16 bit 3rd party conversion kit (which was stupidly expensive) - had a steel plug to put in the V3 brake instead of a foam plug - which removed any "slack" in the braking distance.

I'd have bought the inverted brake kit if it reprinted value, but in Australia, its much more expensive than in the USA. Strangely too it doesn't appear I can buy an upgrade kit in Australia for V3 to inverted ... if one was available, it might avoid the air cylinder, which I don't want to pay for ...

Last edited:
" can I use my old Logitech G27 gearshift device on the CS Elite for PS4 wheelbase? "
I found an adapter, but i do not know will it works.Is not said to be compatible with the CSL Elite:

FL2 Shifter Adapter

Supported Fanatec Wheels:

• ClubSport Wheel (with RJ12 to PS2 cable)
  • CSR Elite(with RJ12 to PS2 cable)
  • CSR
  • Porsche 911 GT2
  • Porsche 911 GT3 RS
  • Porsche 911 Carrera
  • Porsche Turbo S
  • Essentially any Fanatec wheel that can use the Fanatec 6 speed or sequential shifters
Also it is out of stock.

Maybe it will work, but I'm not sure.
@DomB should be able to answer more specifically to this question.

Hi everyone!

Happy sim racing!
:gtpflag:

Although what @daan said is correct, I still want to ask a question.

1) Can I have a complete sim racing setup, with the new direct drive wheel from Fanatec completely for free?

1) Can I have a complete sim racing setup, with the new direct drive wheel from Fanatec completely for free?
I think you're confusing Direct Sensor technology with direct drive. Fanatec are all belt driven.

@daan - Its better. :sly:

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I'll respond to a couple of things here and then I'll head to the hardware section.
Firstly: The gear shift from Fanatec is quite expensive but a cheaper one is listed on the Australian website for Fanatec (The CSR shifter kit) which is one third the price of the Clubsport Shifter V1.5. If I order a wheelbase and wheel and brakes and also the CSR shifter kit, will the lack of the supply of the cheaper gearshift delay the whole delivery?
It might indeed. The CSR Shifter has been discontinued for some time, so is only available in very limited numbers. I recommend you send in a special request to our sales team (email: webshop@fanatec.com) to check if it is possible to purchase. They would also be able to tell you how it might affect the delivery time.

This was answered correctly by super_gt.

Thirdly, I have been looking at pedals but I've seen that the V3 pedals cost relatively more in Australia than in the USA, when compared to for instance the CS Elite PS4 wheel bundle setup do. In the USA, the inverted V3 wheel kit costs the same as the CS Elite PS4 bundle; but in Australia, the same inverted brake V3 kit costs 12% more than the same as Australia CS Elite PS4 bundle does. Hence I feel I am loosing value if I bought, for instance, the inverted V3 brake kit.
I like the V3 kit but I have wondered, when will its brakes be upgraded to 16 bit? If that is not known, will an upgrade path to 16 bit brakes be available if the model's brakes changed to 16 Bit? I have noticed, that the Elite brake kit equipped with a load cell, is 16 bit. There are some 3rd party conversions for 16 bit brakes for the V3 and some reviewers say they respond quicker for things like letting go of the brakes. Hence if I pay a premium for V3 pedals, will the brake bit data be upgradable if and when Fanatec upgrade the brake's data path? Otherwise I might save all that money and just get the Load Cell upgrade with the PS4 wheel bundle.
There are not currently any R&D plans for the CSP V3. However, I would pick the V3 over the CSL Elite pedals every time. The notion that the brakes 'respond quicker' due to the 16-bit path doesn't make much sense to me.

Yes, the CSR Shifters work with the CSL Elite series.

Nice try! ;)

Hi @DomB

Welcome to :gtplanet:

Hope you will enjoy your stay!!

PS - any chance for a discount code for Fanatec products for GTPlanet members ;)

Hi everyone!

Happy sim racing!

Great initiative I have been emailing and Logitech and Thrustmaster before to do something similair. Welcome to this community!

Back