Fanatec CSR Elite Review: A League of its Own

• Thread starter amar212
  • 211 comments
Ok so let's stay at this very smplified calculation. The price difference between the GT3 RS wheel and the GT2 wheel is about 70 and the major difference is Xbox compatibility.

The price difference between a CSR E (regular delivery) and the CSW base is 50 and the major difference is Xbox compatibility and the wheel rim.

So how much did we add to the price of the CSR E because of the wheel rim?

The rim is basically for free and the price is still lower than it should be. The CSR E was calculated extremely tight as the console gamers are more price sensitive. It will be hard to beat that price performance anytime soon. The profit is probably too small to be attractive enough to lure one of our competitiors into this niche market.

With the 721B firmware, my CSR Elite is virtually perfect. No complaints, I am a satisfied customer. I also have a CSR wheel and with the 706 firmware, that wheel is also excellent.

The wheel rim is an improved version of the CSR wheel rim which is certainly not a sub-standard wheel but considered to be one of the best wheels of all platforms by many reviews.

The problem with the CSR E wheel rim is more a psychological one. The base is clearly on a complete higher level while the price and the wheel rim is on a different level. This is irritating for many people but you get what you pay for and please keep in mind that the majority of CSR E owners is happy with the wheel rim. They will just not always post that in forums.

This sums it up for me. The rim is not necessarily bad. Even though I made the flex video, I don't notice it at all while racing. It's just that the rim looks out of place on the beautiful base it's attached to. Now that I have used the CSR Elite for a while and have installed FW 721b, it is absolutely amazing.

The part that bothers me the most is the seams on the inside of the wheel at 10 and 2 o'clock where the little bumps are. I hold the wheel there and I can feel those sharp seams on my fingers as they wrap around the wheel.

Thomas now that you have admitted that the wheel rim is at a different level than the base, when are we going to see a wheel rim for the CSR Elite at the same level as the base?

This is how I would rank them going by the designs for using buttons while driving in-game:

CSW Formula Rim
T500RS Ferrari F1 Wheel
CSW BMW M3 GT2 Wheel
DFGT
T500RS
Mad Catz / Microsoft FFB Wheel
G27
PWTS/GT2/GT3RS
CSR/CSRE
G25

This is all in my opinion of course.

The T500RS has 4 buttons on the right side within reach of the thumb and the D-Pad on the left side. To reach te other buttons you must move the whole hand on not just the thumb.

The G27 has only 6 buttons on the wheel and certainly not all of them can be reached without moving the thumbs quite a bit.

Is that really so much better?

The CSR and CSR E delivers more buttons on the rim than most competitors and you can reach 10 buttons plus the 4-way joystick with your thumbs.

Although it might not be possible to reach them all super easy, it is still better to have the buttons on the rim instead of the shifter or button box or not at all, right?

The wheel rim is an improved version of the CSR wheel rim which is certainly not a sub-standard wheel but considered to be one of the best wheels of all platforms by many reviews.

I didn't say that the CSRE is a sub-standard wheel - just that the wheel rim is not up to the very high standard set by the base - which you seem to agree with.

Overall, I am very happy - & I think a lot of other people would agree - that Fanatec is offering a lot of different options that are truly responsive to the desires of the sim racing community. The frustration is only in the wait for all the products to come to market, so that all the choices (& price points) are available.

Thomas: I think you should understand the critical comments as "consumer feed-back", NOT a negative, but something that helps you in deciding on the best product line-up. :)

The T500RS has 4 buttons on the right side within reach of the thumb and the D-Pad on the left side. To reach te other buttons you must move the whole hand on not just the thumb.

The G27 has only 6 buttons on the wheel and certainly not all of them can be reached without moving the thumbs quite a bit.

Is that really so much better?

The CSR and CSR E delivers more buttons on the rim than most competitors and you can reach 10 buttons plus the 4-way joystick with your thumbs.

Although it might not be possible to reach them all super easy, it is still better to have the buttons on the rim instead of the shifter or button box or not at all, right?

Reaching the D pad and the four buttons with a thumb is essential part as these are the buttons most mapped. The CSR and CSR E, seem just a bit further away and that might cause me to take one hand of the wheel to reach some of the buttons which is not ideal or maybe I might find it awkward depending on steering position.

I recently got the G27 and find the buttons quite easy to reach and as they are small, if your thumb is on the middle you can press the buttons on either side. The reason I put G25 at the bottom is that it only has two. The G27 can map left and right and rear view on the left side on the wheel. On the other three buttons, you can put, say change view, handbrake and potentially pause or DRS and Kers depending on game which makes it more better.

I don't have big hands and see the buttons more out of reach more than any other wheel so will be awkward and ideally I would prefer it to be easier to reach than harder. I would get a CSR for now if the button placement was closer to the wheel. Another thing is the plastic glossy part of the rim, that doesn’t seem to be getting favorable comments but the buttons is the main issue that puts me off.

I like the idea of having buttons on the wheel, that is why I like my old DFGT wheel a lot more and seems to be the best for buttons on a wheel currently out and many reviews praised it for the buttons. The G27 shifter is stationary so you know where the D Pad is at all times, worse than DFGT but it is in between that and the CSR/ CSR E as I might find I have to take my hands off to reach it with the wheel moving. I hoped the CSR / CSR E would have been a step up for DFGT but the button placement has put me off getting one. I will get one now if you made a revision to the original CSR wheel rim as I would be using a desk setup.

Here is one post about comments regards to some person’s friends finding the CSR wheel button awkward for clutch but there are other people who find it fine:

http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/forums/thread/5062817.aspx

The wheel rim seems more suitable for people with big hands.

Do you have all wheels (saidur)??

I wish ;), but only have the DFGT and G27. You can see from the pictures and videos which one will be better than the other for me anyway. I would love to try some wheels as I'm finding the G27 not very good in terms of FFB and I've yet to experience XID.

Thats the preorder price. thomas said once its in stock it will go down to a regular in-stock price of $ 500

Well, for someone who wants to buy a wheel right now, it's $540 not $500. So the wheel is $540. Going by your logic I could say the wheel is $400, because eventually the price will drop that low.

Also how is saying its the same hardware false information? does it not have the same belts, motors, housing? saying its radically different is because instead of xbox functionality you pay for a quick release and more buttons? Come on... Same hardware, different electronics

I never said radically different, but Thomas said it is different enough to require a new test regiment. So I would say that is pretty different. You said they are the same, but they are not. The major hardware components are the same but the little things can make a substantial difference.

superbike81
Well, for someone who wants to buy a wheel right now, it's $540 not $500. So the wheel is $540. Going by your logic I could say the wheel is $400, because eventually the price will drop that low.

Well if we are talking price speculation how do we know the csw wont have the additional preorder price tacked on making it $500 for just the base when its released? so we'd have to factor than into the decision of whether or not the csre is worth the price with the wheel it comes with. which i've already stated most people who actually own one do...

The CSW has a lot more functionality and advanced electronics.
I guess those are the main components being reworked into a new PCB

Ok so let's stay at this very smplified calculation. The price difference between the GT3 RS wheel and the GT2 wheel is about 70 and the major difference is Xbox compatibility.

The price difference between a CSR E (regular delivery) and the CSW base is 50 and the major difference is Xbox compatibility and the wheel rim.

So how much did we add to the price of the CSR E because of the wheel rim?

The rim is basically for free and the price is still lower than it should be. The CSR E was calculated extremely tight as the console gamers are more price sensitive. It will be hard to beat that price performance anytime soon. The profit is probably too small to be attractive enough to lure one of our competitiors into this niche market.

Hey Thomas your spoiling comments I had written within my own review damn you :)
Their has been quite over critical comments and expectations on the new rim. As you clearly put it the new chassis is the bulk of the cost and as I've said in past comments. People should compare the wheel rim with the T500RS.

For me the Elite is much comfier and grippier with its rubber over the T500RS rim.
Err and it really got badly criticised by some regards being rubber and seen as a high priced wheel to many.
G27 was leather seemed to be the biggest complaints at the time.

Personally I still think you needed a bit more of a change between the CSR and Elite rims.
The CSW paddles for me would of been just the cream on the cake if on the Elite.

Please do run a public Q/A on upcoming rims to get feedback of what exactly people want most in future rims.

Last edited:
Well if we are talking price speculation how do we know the csw wont have the additional preorder price tacked on making it $500 for just the base when its released? so we'd have to factor than into the decision of whether or not the csre is worth the price with the wheel it comes with. which i've already stated most people who actually own one do...

No, you do not *have* to factor that in. The price increase on the CSR-E doesn't have anything to do with pre-ordering it, Thomas explained it before, can't remember exactly what he said, but something to do with China shipping, taxes, or something else similar to that. You can't just automatically assume that because something happened once, that it will happen again (that's what is wrong with the global economy, but I won't get into that).

So as of right now, the information I gave is accurate.

CSR-Elite: $540
ClubSport Wheel: $450 (base only)

Until we here otherwise, these are the prices we go by.

Oh, and maybe it's just because I've got big hands, but I don't understand all the complaints about not being able to reach buttons. I can reach every button on the CSR during a race without any difficulty at all.

I didn't have a problem With the buttons... I could comfortably control the car and press all the buttons!!

Oh, and maybe it's just because I've got big hands, but I don't understand all the complaints about not being able to reach buttons. I can reach every button on the CSR during a race without any difficulty at all.
Some people reviews have brought this up and also user feedback in other forums. There are also people who don't have problems like you, I would prefer it if the design made it so that most people will not have a problem with the wheel.
I didn't have a problem With the buttons... I could comfortably control the car and press all the buttons!!

I think this will be a problem for me looking at the wheel pictures and videos of the wheel. Sure I could drive like it is but not as comfortably as other wheels due to the buttons being placed that bit further way than they should be. I'm on the borderline in regards to the CSR and would buy it if they made it just that bit more ergonomic. The CSR Elite can have changeable rims so if people pay extra then it would not be a problem for people with smaller hands but the default rim could be better all round without it costing any more, in fact potentially less.

Edit: Just saw a video that highlights what I'm saying. The specific part is linked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPvfXm802ao&t=4m58s

Last edited:
Mr Latte
The CSW has a lot more functionality and advanced electronics.
I guess those are the main components being reworked into a new PCB.

Because they needed different electronics for different force feedback type, othewise i dont think there would be any need to change anything as the funtionality of the wheel is perfect, fanatec will just add FEATURES and fine tuning options. "advanced electronics" implies that the elite has simplified electronics? i highly doubt most people would tell any kind of difference in the feel of the two bases if they had the same rims installed, but we'll have to wait for the reviews on that first. i just feel like those people who say that the csw will be lightyears ahead of the elite are fooling themselves here. it will have improved features yes, but not things you will feel. - well that would be my opinion if both bases had the same rim... latte i'm looking forward to your comparison of elite and csw when they arive, as im sure thats gotta be on your list.

In F1 i´m getting used to find the DRS and Kers Buttons, but in Dirt 3 i´m stilling have trouble with this button layout.

Try Rally with paddle shifters and then try to find the `handbrake button` at the hairpin. It´s almost impossible.

In F1 i´m getting used to find the DRS and Kers Buttons, but in Dirt 3 i´m stilling have trouble with this button layout.

Try Rally with paddle shifters and then try to find the `handbrake button` at the hairpin. It´s almost impossible.

That's a fairpont

i just feel like those people who say that the csw will be lightyears ahead of the elite are fooling themselves here. it will have improved features yes, but not things you will feel. - well that would be my opinion if both bases had the same rim... latte i'm looking forward to your comparison of elite and csw when they arive, as im sure thats gotta be on your list.

Nobody is saying the CSW is going to be "light years" ahead of the CSR-E. I'm not even saying the CSR-E is a bad wheel, I've got limited experience with it, about an hour of use on iRacing, but I can tell it's a great base with a crappy (IMO) wheel.

But I think you aren't giving the CSW enough credit for how significant these changes may be. I think you are trying to make yourself feel better about buying the CSR-E by downplaying the improvements in the CSW. The thing is, you don't have to do that, we all know that the CSR-E is one of the best units available, so you don't need to talk down about other wheels, you bought a great wheel.

I could have bought the CSR-E as well but I chose to wait for the CSW and I am happy I did (although of course I am getting anxious and impatient). Most of these improvements in the CSW will likely be geared towards the PC sim-racers (which I am) but if you primarily play games like GT5 and Forza, I think the CSR-E will be perfect.

Why not get an external handbrake? Plenty of them available out there. I played RBR for a while with just a button, then switched to a rally style handbrake and it made a world of difference for not much money.

The funny thing about that last post. The whole issue is shifting your hand on the rim to reach a button. How are you going to mount the handbrake to the rim so that you don't have to move your hands?

Merely a comical point. Yeah the buttons may be in a bad location, and the biggest gripe is they can't be reached without shifting the hand. Installing a handbrake doesn't correct this problem. It does however add more awesome, so I think you should do it.

Because they needed different electronics for different force feedback type, othewise i dont think there would be any need to change anything as the funtionality of the wheel is perfect, fanatec will just add FEATURES and fine tuning options. "advanced electronics" implies that the elite has simplified electronics? i highly doubt most people would tell any kind of difference in the feel of the two bases if they had the same rims installed, but we'll have to wait for the reviews on that first. i just feel like those people who say that the csw will be lightyears ahead of the elite are fooling themselves here. it will have improved features yes, but not things you will feel. - well that would be my opinion if both bases had the same rim... latte i'm looking forward to your comparison of elite and csw when they arive, as im sure thats gotta be on your list.

Sorry I should have been more specific.
The CSW has many new functions available on PC, the rotary dials, bigger display, more button capability and to be quite honest I do not think Fanatec may have shown all its abilities yet. :sly:

From a PS3 console perspective of course the two wheels will likely feel very similar. Mainly down to the rims.

I got some pretty big paws then, I guess. I can reach L2/R2 easily on my T500RS without moving my hands. L3/R3 is a different story, of course. :D

Still...we need the Formula rim, Thomas. :P

superbike81
Nobody is saying the CSW is going to be "light years" ahead of the CSR-E. I'm not even saying the CSR-E is a bad wheel, I've got limited experience with it, about an hour of use on iRacing, but I can tell it's a great base with a crappy (IMO) wheel.

But I think you aren't giving the CSW enough credit for how significant these changes may be. I think you are trying to make yourself feel better about buying the CSR-E by downplaying the improvements in the CSW. The thing is, you don't have to do that, we all know that the CSR-E is one of the best units available, so you don't need to talk down about other wheels, you bought a great wheel.

I could have bought the CSR-E as well but I chose to wait for the CSW and I am happy I did (although of course I am getting anxious and impatient). Most of these improvements in the CSW will likely be geared towards the PC sim-racers (which I am) but if you primarily play games like GT5 and Forza, I think the CSR-E will be perfect.

You're right, i'm probably just a little scared about what happens when the attention shifts to the clubsport and nobody talks about or upgrades the elite anymore.

Why not get an external handbrake? Plenty of them available out there. I played RBR for a while with just a button, then switched to a rally style handbrake and it made a world of difference for not much money.

Were did you by yours? That may be an option.

It's not about taking your hand of the wheel like superbike81 suggested.

It's about reaching blind for the handbrake (button) and missing it or hitting an other button instead.

A rally style handbrake might the sollution. (the CSHB thomas? Any info on that)

Microsoft may be on his case. He did state awhile back that he convinced them to allow its use. Im fuzzy in the details as it was a while ago and im just getting off an overnight shift.

Dis anybody so far test the combination of Fanatec CSR Elite + FREX H-shifter + Forza 4 ?

Is this combination fully compatible?

I have a FREX H-Shifter on order, which I plan, to use with my old G25 + GT5 and PC sims.
I have just tasted though, how unbelievably good Forza 4 with triple monitor setup is and think about adding a Fanatec CSR Elite, to beat those tuned Ford Sierra RS500, BMW M5 E28 and Audi Quattro Sport around twisty tracks ;-)

Back