• Fanatec CSW v2.5

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Sim-Plicity SW20 v3

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I am in the market for a new wheelbase and considering either CSW v2.5 or a Sim-Plicity SW20 v3. The reason for these two are down to budget as I dont want to spend any more than £800 on a wheelbase to allow me to have budget for a wheel and pedals.

Does anyone have any experience of using these wheels? My thought patterns are:

CSW v2.5, is Fanatec which is renowned company in the SIM world, has a full eco-system and good resale values. The CSW v2.5 seems to be the best non-DD wheel on the market and coming from a TM TMX, will be a massive step up.

Sim-Plicity SW20 v3 is an excellent value DD wheel, but the company is less known than Fanatec, however that does not necessarily mean that they are better or worse, its just when you take the CSW v2.5 and add all the shipping costs, the cost difference between both wheels is not that excessive (about £300.00). I cannot find much information on the SW20 v3, so cannot tell if its an entry level DD wheel or just very well priced?

Is it worth spending the additional £300.00 on the SW20 v3 over the CSW v2.5? Any advice would be greatly appreciated?

I don't know anything about the SW20v3 wheel. However, the determining factor if you should go with Fanatec is if you do, or plan to race on a console. if the answer is yes, buy the Fanatec wheel. If you will ONLY ever play on a PC, then maybe consider the SW20v3. I will say that peripheral support is the second most important thing next. Not knowing what the SW20v3 supports, but if they support the kind of pedals, shifter, clutch you want, that'll go a long ways too.

Having come from the CSL Elite wheel, which I think is basically the same as the CSWv2.5, it's a fantastic wheel, the best belt driven wheel I've ever used (includes DF, DFP, G2x, T300, CSL Elite). The Fanatec DD wheel does take some getting used to with how immersive the FFB is, so the same may hold true for the SW20v3 if you've also come from a belt driven wheel in the past.

Lastly, I guess price and time are what I'd consider next. Is the Fanatec in stock now? If the Fanatec is cheaper, could you spend more money on higher end pedals, shifter, etc? Would that make the experience better overall? Or would having the DD on your PC be the best bet and you'd be happy with other 3rd party periphs?

Jerome

I don't know anything about the SW20v3 wheel. However, the determining factor if you should go with Fanatec is if you do, or plan to race on a console. if the answer is yes, buy the Fanatec wheel. If you will ONLY ever play on a PC, then maybe consider the SW20v3. I will say that peripheral support is the second most important thing next. Not knowing what the SW20v3 supports, but if they support the kind of pedals, shifter, clutch you want, that'll go a long ways too.

Having come from the CSL Elite wheel, which I think is basically the same as the CSWv2.5, it's a fantastic wheel, the best belt driven wheel I've ever used (includes DF, DFP, G2x, T300, CSL Elite). The Fanatec DD wheel does take some getting used to with how immersive the FFB is, so the same may hold true for the SW20v3 if you've also come from a belt driven wheel in the past.

Lastly, I guess price and time are what I'd consider next. Is the Fanatec in stock now? If the Fanatec is cheaper, could you spend more money on higher end pedals, shifter, etc? Would that make the experience better overall? Or would having the DD on your PC be the best bet and you'd be happy with other 3rd party periphs?

Jerome

Hi Jerome,

I do like the Fanatec equipment and I think I am swaying towards it, especially as I wanted the Clubsport V3 pedals. The problem I have, is now that the UK is not part of Europe, I do not know how much it will cost to get the items to me. I have spoken with Fanatec who have said this is all down to UPS. I have spoken with UPS who have said that they dont know the charges until I place the order. Effectively giving UPS the right to charge what they like. This is so disappointing as due to this, Fanatec will lose out on my business and I will purchase something else from within the UK.

Thanks Jerome.

Hi Jerome,

I do like the Fanatec equipment and I think I am swaying towards it, especially as I wanted the Clubsport V3 pedals. The problem I have, is now that the UK is not part of Europe, I do not know how much it will cost to get the items to me. I have spoken with Fanatec who have said this is all down to UPS. I have spoken with UPS who have said that they dont know the charges until I place the order. Effectively giving UPS the right to charge what they like. This is so disappointing as due to this, Fanatec will lose out on my business and I will purchase something else from within the UK.

Thanks Jerome.

Yeah that's rough. Could you contact Fanatec and ask them to use FedEx? Or could they give you an estimated cost based on other people who've bought in your area? May be worth reaching out to @DomB_Fanatec He's helped me and many others with Fanatec questions.

Jerome

Does anyone have any experience of using these wheels? My thought patterns are:

CSW v2.5, is Fanatec which is renowned company in the SIM world, has a full eco-system and good resale values. The CSW v2.5 seems to be the best non-DD wheel on the market and coming from a TM TMX, will be a massive step up.

Sim-Plicity SW20 v3 is an excellent value DD wheel, but the company is less known than Fanatec, however that does not necessarily mean that they are better or worse, its just when you take the CSW v2.5 and add all the shipping costs, the cost difference between both wheels is not that excessive (about £300.00). I cannot find much information on the SW20 v3, so cannot tell if its an entry level DD wheel or just very well priced?

Is it worth spending the additional £300.00 on the SW20 v3 over the CSW v2.5? Any advice would be greatly appreciated?
I own a CSW2.5 and I'm extremely happy with it. It was a huge upgrade over my T500. It is so smooth and powerful that I honestly don't know if I'll ever need a DD wheel.
But like Jerome said there is quite a bit to consider, and I must say that that SW20 v3 looks very good. Have a look at my post here. €910 for both the wheel base and the 320mm wheel is an amazing deal.

Last edited:
Hi Jerome,

Thanks Jerome.

My concern also was the extra charges I would incur if purchasing from fanatec(don't forget the conversion fee that PayPal/bank will charge)

When doing my research regarding ups charges, I have found 2 posts by different people claiming ups charge £11.50 for the customs paperwork and you will have to pay 20% vat and that's it. I think you can pay the vat to ups too

Also when you put the fanatec gear in the basket on their site, it seems like it deducts 20% off.

I'm thinking about the 2.5 and 918 rim, there's a discount for that bundle too.

I can’t help you with the comparison but can confirm the import situation is no where near as bad as some people are making out. As you said above, Fanatec prices for us in the UK no longer include VAT (19%). UPS will charge you UK rate 20% VAT plus their £11.50 charge. So we’re paying a tiny bit extra overall.

I’d thought of upgrading to a DD1 from my CSL Elite but have since decided against it. I’ve heard many say the extra price for DD bases is just not worth it over something like the CSW. Unless money is no object...

CSW 2.5 is only compatible with PC and Xbox, not PS4/5. Only drawback for me as I’m a PlayStation guy.

I can’t help you with the comparison but can confirm the import situation is no where near as bad as some people are making out. As you said above, Fanatec prices for us in the UK no longer include VAT (19%). UPS will charge you UK rate 20% VAT plus their £11.50 charge. So we’re paying a tiny bit extra overall.

I’d thought of upgrading to a DD1 from my CSL Elite but have since decided against it. I’ve heard many say the extra price for DD bases is just not worth it over something like the CSW. Unless money is no object...

CSW 2.5 is only compatible with PC and Xbox, not PS4/5. Only drawback for me as I’m a PlayStation guy.
Isn't it compatible through Drivehub?

Oh yeah, you’re probably right there. Isn’t it fiddly to get it working through that though? Buttons and features on the steering wheel etc?

Oh yeah, you’re probably right there. Isn’t it fiddly to get it working through that though? Buttons and features on the steering wheel etc?
I don't know, I haven't used it. But I might consider it for GT7 if I decide to get the PS5. :)

Back