Fanatec DD Pro compatibility with older console games

Vietnam
Vietnam
I've always lived in unique places where the selection of wheels is limited. I previously was using a Logitech wheel for the past twenty years that only worked on ps3 and below. While just this past year I got a Thrustmaster wheel that is ps4/ps5 compatible. As such I've been enjoying a lot of the older ps4 games that I had missed out on, such as Project Cars 2 and the first Assetto Corsa. I will be moving to another country where no wheels are available, so I figured I'd import the Fanatec DD Pro. But I have two questions.

Does anybody have experience playing older ps4 games with the DD Pro? I remember when the wheel first came out I was reading that there were issues with the DD Pro and these older games. I know there is a compatibility mode option, but at least from what I read online it seemed like people still had issues making these games pretty much unplayable with the DD Pro. I haven't seen any new info since then, is this something that has been figured out by the community?

I know it hasn't been out long, but so far how is the reliability? If I'm importing then I obviously I want something that won't have many issues since it would be extremely troublesome and expensive to have it sent abroad for repairs. My previous Logitech wheel has had no issues for twenty years, while my new Thrustmaster wheel has had a few issues in less than a year.

I've always lived in unique places where the selection of wheels is limited. I previously was using a Logitech wheel for the past twenty years that only worked on ps3 and below. While just this past year I got a Thrustmaster wheel that is ps4/ps5 compatible. As such I've been enjoying a lot of the older ps4 games that I had missed out on, such as Project Cars 2 and the first Assetto Corsa. I will be moving to another country where no wheels are available, so I figured I'd import the Fanatec DD Pro. But I have two questions.

Does anybody have experience playing older ps4 games with the DD Pro? I remember when the wheel first came out I was reading that there were issues with the DD Pro and these older games. I know there is a compatibility mode option, but at least from what I read online it seemed like people still had issues making these games pretty much unplayable with the DD Pro. I haven't seen any new info since then, is this something that has been figured out by the community?

I know it hasn't been out long, but so far how is the reliability? If I'm importing then I obviously I want something that won't have many issues since it would be extremely troublesome and expensive to have it sent abroad for repairs. My previous Logitech wheel has had no issues for twenty years, while my new Thrustmaster wheel has had a few issues in less than a year.
I have DD1 (don't think DD Pro have differences in compatibility with consoles) and play PC2 only. I don't have any issues.

I have no issues with the GT DD Pro.
Havent tried it on older games, but read about people playing Assetto Corsa on PS4 and PS5 and playing F1 ‘20 and ‘21 without any problems.
Don’t know of the last two are on console thou.

But, just out of curiosity, what countries are you talking about. I live
in the Netherlands and I can’t imagine something not being available.

The DD Pro has a compatibility mode, so if any older game supported a ClubSport base (I think) then it’ll support this.

Hey all, thanks for the replies. Let me jump right in...

Yeah I know about compatibility mode, but from what little research I did when the dd/dd pro came out, it seemed like even with compatibility mode people were having issues. I remember reading that PC2 particularly having issues, and the original Dirt Rally, having no force feedback at all even in compatibility mode. I seem to recall the speculation being that the dd pro can run in compatibility mode for games that had native CSL Elite support, but dd pro can't do games in which the CSL Elite had to do its own compatibility mode for, such as Dirt Rally 1 and Project Cars 1.

So I'm just curious if anybody here has any first hand experience playing some of these older games with the DD pro.

And to answer the other question. Over the past few years I've mainly been living in some small countries in Asia. Usually Logitech sells their things there, and where I currently live has a distributor licensed to sell Thrustmaster gear. The first time I have ever touched Thrustmaster stuff, and it's quite the upgrade. I have never lived anywhere that where Fanatec sells it's gear. I'll be moving to Africa, and from what I can tell, where I will be staying doesn't have any of the big three (in terms of console compatibility). So I figure if i have to import something, I might as well try Fanatec this time. Granted reliability is a big issue for me, as importing means if there is a problem I have to send it to Europe to get repaired, then they will only send it to an address in Europe so I'd have to have it sent to a friend's house and then have them send it back to me.

Has anybody already had any issues with the dd pro? I know it hasn't been out long. From what I have read it seems the Fanatec item with some trouble is the V1.5 shifter which seems to be an issue of not "if" but rather "when" it will break. So if I go Fanatec, I just might not get the shifter.

GT6 on PS3 no go?

I could live with compatibility mode if that's what it takes...
Probably not but with devices like DriveHub it can be possible to get all sports of crazy combos working.

With a DriveHub I know people got PS3 games like GT6 to work with the CSL Elite in its compatibility PC mode (Clubsport V2 mode).

Now The DD Pro has a CSL Elite mode but of course does not have a Clubsport V2 mode. Whether something like a DriveHub still allows you to bridge the gap to PS3 is another question. Someone will have to buy one and try it out.

Back