[Fanatec] GT DD Pro style wheel for Podium F1 DD 1 base?

• Thread starter Pako
  • 29 comments

Pako

Staff Emeritus
United States
NW Montana
GTP-Pako
GTP Pako
Fanatec's eco system of wheel's and base combinations is pretty amazing, but recently switching from PC to PS Console racing for the unforeseen future, it seems my options are limited for what wheel I can pair up with my DD 1 to have the same quality and feel of the F1 wheel. I did get a Club Sport wheel and while it's an improvement for GT style racing, it feels somewhat cheap compared to the quality build of the F1 wheel. I would love to hear any suggestions of DD1+wheel combinations that you may have found that work well for GT and/or rally racing.
fanatec Podium DD1.jpg

I have F1 DD1 but seldom use the F1 wheel/rim. I despise anything less than 35 cm / 14 inches as my favorite cars are GT. Manufacturers push these tiny wheels when we have enormous torque capabilities and I’ve never heard an explanation. I looked through some old posts to find some images. I use aftermarket wheels that suit my tastes. They are easy to find and often a fraction of the cost of what you would expect. Sorry, not at home too take better pics.
FoV comparison at bottom of this post
For up close, this post
And 38 cm classic wheel, this post

Last edited:
I have F1 DD1 but seldom use the F1 wheel/rim. I despise anything less than 35 cm / 14 inches as my favorite cars are GT. Manufacturers push these tiny wheels when we have enormous torque capabilities and I’ve never heard an explanation. I looked through some old posts to find some images. I use aftermarket wheels that suit my tastes. They are easy to find and often a fraction of the cost of what you would expect. Sorry, not at home too take better pics.
FoV comparison at bottom of this post
For up close, this post
And 38 cm classic wheel, this post
Thanks Rob, that's exactly what I'm looking for. That gives me some hope.

The podium hub with endurance button box is great but expensive. It is setup to have PS buttons when the base is setup in PS modes. As are most of Fanatec's wheels. Can use it with the Porsche or normal shaped 330mm wheels they offer. Or pair it up with an automotive aftermarket wheel that you like.

Using a larger 330 or 350mm wheel is nice because you can increase the FFB torque more and get a little more dynamic range. The real benefit of something like the DD1 over DD Pro/CSL DD is being able to use larger wheels and more torque to support them.

The podium hub with endurance button box is great but expensive. It is setup to have PS buttons when the base is setup in PS modes. As are most of Fanatec's wheels. Can use it with the Porsche or normal shaped 330mm wheels they offer. Or pair it up with an automotive aftermarket wheel that you like.

Using a larger 330 or 350mm wheel is nice because you can increase the FFB torque more and get a little more dynamic range. The real benefit of something like the DD1 over DD Pro/CSL DD is being able to use larger wheels and more torque to support them.
That’s great! I already have an extra hub and wheel, so adding the endurance button box is exactly what I was looking for!!! Add the podium paddles and I’ll be set. Thank you!

I have the DD1 bundle for PS4 and couldn't get down with the formula wheel. After a month I purchased the 911 suede wheel with podium hub and button module. Honestly couldn't be happier and really like a full size wheel. The wheel on it's own was only 149. The other bits are what gets expensive but worth it to me.

20210703_171105.jpg

I have the DD1 bundle for PS4 and couldn't get down with the formula wheel. After a month I purchased the 911 suede wheel with podium hub and button module. Honestly couldn't be happier and really like a full size wheel. The wheel on it's own was only 149. The other bits are what gets expensive but worth it to me.

View attachment 1097067
That’s exactly what I’m looking at!!! I’m in it this far, might as well get it dialed in. Any short comings with the buttons for say, GTS? Funky button for navigation, adjusting Fuel mapping on the fly etc?

Last edited:
That’s exactly what I’m looking at!!! I’m in it this far, might as well get it dialed in. Any short comings with the buttons for say, GTS? Funky button for navigation, adjusting Fuel mapping on the fly etc?
Nope. It works just like the F1 wheel you have. The only thing I didn't like was the button pack to use PS specific details so I just memorized the buttons without swapping the covers.

And using gloves with the suede wheel is a good idea. If you're not a glove guy you can get the leather wheel.

That’s great! I already have an extra hub and wheel, so adding the endurance button box is exactly what I was looking for!!! Add the podium paddles and I’ll be set. Thank you!
Also consider the Clubsport paddle module. For GT, I actually prefer Clubsport over Podium paddle module. It doesn’t have the useless extra paddles and it adapts to the larger diameter wheels where the Podium does not.

@Napalm_LT I have PS4 pro and some history with 42”, 49” and now 55” screen(s). Based on GTS use, I would expect that @FA_Hayes has his 55” screen too far away. Look closely at these 2 pics from post. I have no issues to see pixels or pixelation. When I use FoV calculators, seems my distance coordinates with the agreed fixed FoV that GTS is set. It means in practical terms that my screen is as close as i can possibly get it to the back of my DD1 (F1). I’m interested to even get it closer with use of DD Pro base when it becomes available.

I find my 55” to be a very comfortable size. From my picture in the original post, it looks like it may be too far away but when I’m racing, I have full FOV and do not notice any surrounding non-screen objects. 👍🏼

Very nice rig. I would like to change my old 37" TV to a new 55" one, but I dubt it will be to big. I see you have PS4 pro (me too) - whether the image is blurred, the pixels are not visible from this distance?
Thank you. I have no issues with blurring other than rate of speed while driving and pixels aren't an issue. Sometimes curved white lines are a bit jagged but that's about it.

@Napalm_LT I have PS4 pro and some history with 42”, 49” and now 55” screen(s). Based on GTS use, I would expect that @FA_Hayes has his 55” screen too far away. Look closely at these 2 pics from post. I have no issues to see pixels or pixelation. When I use FoV calculators, seems my distance coordinates with the agreed fixed FoV that GTS is set. It means in practical terms that my screen is as close as i can possibly get it to the back of my DD1 (F1). I’m interested to even get it closer with use of DD Pro base when it becomes available.
I messed with focal length quite a bit and have it very close to what they use at the GT live events with 55" screens. I had it alot closer and feel the scale of image on a screen that large prohibits my race line at "proper" fov calculations. I'm within 48" depending on where my head is at.

In the end I try to find a balance of what works well and the whole immersion thing. I mean, it has to feel somewhat like a real word car on track even though we're racing pixels.

@Pako Sorry my rig hijacked your thread a bit.

View attachment 1097067
This is what I run with ACC on PC and more recently re-starting GT Sport with my new account.

Jerome

Estimated Delivery Date, tomorrow. Fanatec shipping is no joke right now! I already had the podium hub, so wheel, enduro button cluster, and podium shift paddles will be in my hot little hands shortly. Pretty excited to say the least. I considered just using the clubsport paddles as mentioned, but I do like the mechanical feel of the podium paddles much better. Hope they feel good, placement wise.

For an allround wheel (rally, road cars, drifting and some GT) I can strongly recommend the new Clubsport Steering Wheel RS.

It feels fantastic! The rim size of 320 mm / 12.6 inches is perfect (IMO). It feels solid and has some good weight to it (or heft, as Barry would say :D). Absolutely love the feeling of it – even on my modest CSW2.5 it feels more like I'm driving a real car than any other wheel I have used before.

lFJnfUX.png

Estimated Delivery Date, tomorrow. Fanatec shipping is no joke right now! I already had the podium hub, so wheel, enduro button cluster, and podium shift paddles will be in my hot little hands shortly. Pretty excited to say the least. I considered just using the clubsport paddles as mentioned, but I do like the mechanical feel of the podium paddles much better. Hope they feel good, placement wise.
Giddy up, man! Good choice on the paddles. My hands are on the medium side and the paddle placement is perfect. With the latest firmware the upper paddles also work for turn signals in GT sport as well.

Looks like it’s out for delivery today. Being able to signal is cool, but the AI can be punks, the only signal they’ll get from me is a finger at the TV. 😂

Haven’t had a chance to try it yet. Might swap out for the larger shifter pads, we’ll see after I run it through some paces.

I’ll give it a go this evening, but so far, I really like the feel of it and of course like the quality of the wheel and button cluster.

178B7F74-D8EB-4979-9407-A9C952850F14.jpeg

:cheers:

Last edited:
@Pako Welcome to the club good sir. The larger radius paddles work much better for me. I used them from the start.

Also. I had to re-tourque the wheel fasteners a few times before I eliminated little squeaks here and there. I now check them all as part if maintenance.

Haven’t had a chance to try it yet. Might swap out for the larger shifter pads, we’ll see after I run it through some paces.

I’ll give it a go this evening, but so far, I really like the feel of it and of course like the quality of the wheel and button cluster.

View attachment 1098736
:cheers:
is it comfortable to use 5 gear and can you use 7 gear at all? I have the same setup, but havent mounted handbrake yet - other users complains h-shifter isn't comfortable to use if hanbrake attched to it. I thought I need some different mount for handbrake.

is it comfortable to use 5 gear and can you use 7 gear at all? I have the same setup, but havent mounted handbrake yet - other users complains h-shifter isn't comfortable to use if hanbrake attched to it. I thought I need some different mount for handbrake.
My experience is 5th is okay but 7th not. Better sand the edges (corners) of the handbrake lever. Better yet install spacers or relocate handbrake altogether. Even relocating to inside of shifter gives more room.

5th is fine. The shifter knob clears when going to 7th, but your hand might not unless you palm on the left side of the shifter.

6DAB8379-6B4F-436E-B3E5-EFB568F4395C.jpeg

Well, just finished a rally mission and a 30 lap endurance race with the new wheel. I love it! It's a little smaller than my club sport but find it a bit more precise and responsive. I found the flat bottom of the wheel especially useful in rally racing keeping track of center and revolutions when in an oversteering situation. I also like the feel of the suede. I will be swapping out the larger paddles for the shifter however. It's not bad, but a couple times I felt myself reaching or not able to hit the paddle at all if in a turn. My only gripe is the right funky button for navigation is supposed to be your X button as well, and while it is, it also seems to be the PS button at the same time. Might have to wheel the rig over to the computer and get any firmware updates that might be available, but other than that, I'm loving it! Thanks again @FA_Hayes and @Rob Brown for the advise! :cheers:

Are the separate rotary encoders on the endurance hub separately programmable to use for TCS, BB, fuel mapping, etc.?
Nope. The right funky switch toggles left and right to switch between MFD. Up and down adjusts. Sadly encoders do nothing in GT sport just like the F1 wheel.

Well, just finished a rally mission and a 30 lap endurance race with the new wheel. I love it! It's a little smaller than my club sport but find it a bit more precise and responsive. I found the flat bottom of the wheel especially useful in rally racing keeping track of center and revolutions when in an oversteering situation. I also like the feel of the suede. I will be swapping out the larger paddles for the shifter however. It's not bad, but a couple times I felt myself reaching or not able to hit the paddle at all if in a turn. My only gripe is the right funky button for navigation is supposed to be your X button as well, and while it is, it also seems to be the PS button at the same time. Might have to wheel the rig over to the computer and get any firmware updates that might be available, but other than that, I'm loving it! Thanks again @FA_Hayes and @Rob Brown for the advise! :cheers:
The latest FW is pretty nice. The wheel base firmware is quite different than the 402 I was running. Definitely seems more lively and a bit more fidelity. You need the latest Beta FW available on their forum if you're not aware.

It’ll be interesting to see if it stays that way with the encoders.

One thing I noticed in Super GT’s review of the new DD PRO, he mentioned all of the different d-pad-looking-thingees on the new wheel…. were programmed to adjust TCS, BB and fuel mapping on the fly, SEPARATELY. That’s huge!

I wonder why that’s the case with the new DD PRO rim, but not applicable to other Fanatec rims? Firmware mayhap?

Back