Fanatec Podium Advanced Paddle Module

• Thread starter super_gt
  • 41 comments
Sorry for the bump, but Google's not giving me good results right now.

If I use these paddles on Xbox One (ClubSport Formula V2), will all of the paddles be functional and mappable?

One thing I noticed with the switches on the V2 itself is that Xbox doesn't support them, whereas PC does since it allows for more buttons.

Just wondering what the case would be for the paddles, as I could see myself using them for Clutch/Handbrake in some games.

Sorry for the bump, but Google's not giving me good results right now.

If I use these paddles on Xbox One (ClubSport Formula V2), will all of the paddles be functional and mappable?

One thing I noticed with the switches on the V2 itself is that Xbox doesn't support them, whereas PC does since it allows for more buttons.

Just wondering what the case would be for the paddles, as I could see myself using them for Clutch/Handbrake in some games.
There is a limitation in the Xbox OS that prevents additional commands beyond the normal 'gamepad' inputs. Because there are many more inputs on a Formula V2 compared to a gamepad, some of them have no function, and some are duplicated. When you add the Podium Advanced Paddle Module, the middle shifters should act like the normal shifters, and the upper paddles are duplicates of the 'X' and 'Y' inputs, so they can be used, they're just not unique.

The analogue paddles will work in any game that supports analogue clutch input, or analogue handbrake input if you have it in that mode, because this feature works on the Fanatec side through firmware, not through the game or OS.

There is a limitation in the Xbox OS that prevents additional commands beyond the normal 'gamepad' inputs. Because there are many more inputs on a Formula V2 compared to a gamepad, some of them have no function, and some are duplicated. When you add the Podium Advanced Paddle Module, the middle shifters should act like the normal shifters, and the upper paddles are duplicates of the 'X' and 'Y' inputs, so they can be used, they're just not unique.

The analogue paddles will work in any game that supports analogue clutch input, or analogue handbrake input if you have it in that mode, because this feature works on the Fanatec side through firmware, not through the game or OS.
Thanks for the reply.

p-apm-m_02-png.781880

So looking at the above pic:
  • the top paddle on each is X/Y
  • the middle are for gear changes
  • tho bottom ones are analogue

Assuming the games I play (DiRT Rally 2.0 and F1 2020) support it, I can map the analogue ones to a button like B for example, and get an analogue handbrake in addition to my analogue brake/throttle?

Thanks for the reply.

p-apm-m_02-png.781880

So looking at the above pic:
  • the top paddle on each is X/Y
  • the middle are for gear changes
  • tho bottom ones are analogue

Assuming the games I play (DiRT Rally 2.0 and F1 2020) support it, I can map the analogue ones to a button like B for example, and get an analogue handbrake in addition to my analogue brake/throttle?
Generally it is not possible to map the analogue paddles to what are normally button inputs on Xbox One games. The ClubSport Handbrake is supported on Xbox One as a separate analogue axis, and there is a dedicated 'Clutch + Handbrake' mode for the analogue paddles that should replicate the same axis as the ClubSport Handbrake, but it does not seem to be detected correctly on Xbox at the moment. We are investigating this.

Generally it is not possible to map the analogue paddles to what are normally button inputs on Xbox One games. The ClubSport Handbrake is supported on Xbox One as a separate analogue axis, and there is a dedicated 'Clutch + Handbrake' mode for the analogue paddles that should replicate the same axis as the ClubSport Handbrake, but it does not seem to be detected correctly on Xbox at the moment. We are investigating this.
Thanks for the reply :)

While talking Fanatec, I have a little conundrum I’m hoping you could help with.

I use a CSL Elite (PS4) base and the ClubSport Formula V2, when playing DiRT Rally 2.0 on Xbox One. In-game, the whole setup is recognised as “Steering Wheel” instead of any Fanatec name. Any idea why?

Thanks for the reply :)

While talking Fanatec, I have a little conundrum I’m hoping you could help with.

I use a CSL Elite (PS4) base and the ClubSport Formula V2, when playing DiRT Rally 2.0 on Xbox One. In-game, the whole setup is recognised as “Steering Wheel” instead of any Fanatec name. Any idea why?
The game should name the wheel base and the pedals. It says 'steering wheel' just to say what it is, but it should also say Fanatec CSL Elite to the left. It also says 'pedals' on the right but should say the full name of the pedal set on the left also.

@DomB_Fanatec One more question if that's okay, do you know if the APM shifters are louder or quieter than the stock ones on the Formula V2? :)
It depends on your technique. I'd say the stock shifters have the potential to be both quieter and louder than the magnetic shifters. The spring allows you to move the stock shifters almost silently towards the switch, and you can also release them very carefully. But the limiter on both sides is essentially a metal-on-metal contact, so you can make a very loud noise it you hit them really hard, and you can also release them quickly without 'damping' the return throw with your finger. Whereas the APM has a more consistent sound in both activation and release, and it is harder to influence these movements due to the strength of the magnets. However both the activation and release are damped by small rubber pads, which is not the case with the stock shifters. So the APM has a more consistent sound.

The game should name the wheel base and the pedals. It says 'steering wheel' just to say what it is, but it should also say Fanatec CSL Elite to the left. It also says 'pedals' on the right but should say the full name of the pedal set on the left also.
Hmm, it's not doing that on Xbox but it is on PC. (I'm using the PS4 base, for reference). Would that be related to game code or firmware?

As for the APM, mine should arrive tomorrow, so I'll see for myself :)

I'm configuring it on DiRT Rally 2.0 at the moment, and the way that Xbox recognises the analogue paddles is that...

• Mode A is 2 clutch pedals (no bite point feature in-game)
  • Mode B is 1 clutch pedal (left) and 1 dead paddle (right)
  • Mode C is 1 brake pedal and 1 throttle pedal
  • Mode D isn't recognised by the console

I don't have a need for an analogue clutch in DiRT Rally 2.0, so I'm using one of the top paddles for that instead, and have assigned my handbrake to the clutch "pedal".

That way in Mode A I have a handbrake paddle on either side of the rim.

Back