Fantasy Time: What Restomod Would You Do?

• Thread starter Pete05
  • 240 comments
735i_3.jpg

BMW E23 735i
S62 BMW V8 twin turbo
19" BMW Style 92 rims
Air ride suspension

I'm off to view an Audi A2 this evening, so in that vein, I propose a pair of related restomods.

Firstly, a conventional petrol version. Lowered subtly on 17" Audi 5-spoke 'RS4' style wheels, with a bright red paint job, twin exit exhausts and the 220hp 1.4 from the previous S1.

The second, more interesting option would be converted to electricity, with the front access panel housing the charge port. Lowered with aerodynamic, mileage enhancing shapes including flat dish wheels and rear wheel covers to aid MPG. It would be the car it always could have been if it launched in 2020 and not 2000.

Both would feature modern Audi style sequential indicators and up to date audio. The petrol one would have Alcantara with fabric inserts mimicking Bride seats but with a repeating quattro logo and the electric would have eco-friendly, recycled seat covers and bamboo trim, a la the i3.

VXR
I'm off to view an Audi A2 this evening, so in that vein, I propose a pair of related restomods.

Firstly, a conventional petrol version. Lowered subtly on 17" Audi 5-spoke 'RS4' style wheels, with a bright red paint job, twin exit exhausts and the 220hp 1.4 from the previous S1.

The second, more interesting option would be converted to electricity, with the front access panel housing the charge port. Lowered with aerodynamic, mileage enhancing shapes including flat dish wheels and rear wheel covers to aid MPG. It would be the car it always could have been if it launched in 2020 and not 2000.

Both would feature modern Audi style sequential indicators and up to date audio. The petrol one would have Alcantara with fabric inserts mimicking Bride seats but with a repeating quattro logo and the electric would have eco-friendly, recycled seat covers and bamboo trim, a la the i3.
I like the petrol version & it sounds like it’d be a little rocket.

I hate electric cars so I’d leave that one to you & catch the bus.

How about something stupid?

Triple Threat--Mazda K360

1280px-1967_Mazda_K360.jpg

Since this is a fun one, the roof has to go. Windshield is cut down by half, and since the cowl vents are no longer needed to supply fresh air to the cabin, the cowl itself is cut down to lower the top of the windshield even more. Rear fenders are removed and the area they once occupied is replaced by a recessed tub on each side.

To complement the three-wheeled configuration and reinforce the name, a naturally aspirated Mazda 20b three-rotor equipped with a Weber 40 IDA 3C carb is nestled in the floorless [former] cargo area behind the seats, with a radiator just ahead of it drawing air through the side vents and a Renault 5-speed manual transaxle behind it.

Gone are the standard 12" wheels, replaced in front with a spun aluminum tenner shod in a 145/80 donut--classic Mini sort of rubber--and in back with 15x12 forged 5-spokes enveloped in 345/35 Pirellis originally spec'd for the Lamborghini Countach 25th Anniversary.

The smaller front roller sucks up under the beak aided by a tubular girder fork with an air-over-shock unit, allowing it to squat right down. With space at a premium in the rear, the independent suspension is ditched in favor of a simpler DeDion tube axle tying the outboard hubs together as it floats above the gearbox, located vertically with parallel links on either side of the motor and laterally with transverse links connected to a bell crank; two more air-over-shock units control movement. An aluminum airfoil at the rear doubles as a fuel tank.

The absurd nature of this little dickens calls for an equally absurd paintjob, and so the body is sprayed a dark blue with silver scallops outlined in lime green pinstriping. Upholstry is lime green vinyl.

:P

How about something stupid?

Triple Threat--Mazda K360

1280px-1967_Mazda_K360.jpg

Since this is a fun one, the roof has to go. Windshield is cut down by half, and since the cowl vents are no longer needed to supply fresh air to the cabin, the cowl itself is cut down to lower the top of the windshield even more. Rear fenders are removed and the area they once occupied is replaced by a recessed tub on each side.

To complement the three-wheeled configuration and reinforce the name, a naturally aspirated Mazda 20b three-rotor equipped with a Weber 40 IDA 3C carb is nestled in the floorless [former] cargo area behind the seats, with a radiator just ahead of it drawing air through the side vents and a Renault 5-speed manual transaxle behind it.

Gone are the standard 12" wheels, replaced in front with a spun aluminum tenner shod in a 145/80 donut--classic Mini sort of rubber--and in back with 15x12 forged 5-spokes enveloped in 345/35 Pirellis originally spec'd for the Lamborghini Countach 25th Anniversary.

The smaller front roller sucks up under the beak aided by a tubular girder fork with an air-over-shock unit, allowing it to squat right down. With space at a premium in the rear, the independent suspension is ditched in favor of a simpler DeDion tube axle tying the outboard hubs together as it floats above the gearbox, located vertically with parallel links on either side of the motor and laterally with transverse links connected to a bell crank; two more air-over-shock units control movement. An aluminum airfoil at the rear doubles as a fuel tank.

The absurd nature of this little dickens calls for an equally absurd paintjob, and so the body is sprayed a dark blue with silver scallops outlined in lime green pinstriping. Upholstry is lime green vinyl.

:P
You build it, you drive it.

* @TexRex climbs aboard, stirs the 20B into life, gives it a big rev & the torque flips the Triple Threat onto its side. TexRex clambers out, rites the K360 back onto all three wheels & takes off gently. Travelling down the road, he gently picks up the pace & starts to smile :D It is at this point, TexRex gathers a small community of bugs in his teeth & regrets lowering the windshield :yuck: :P ;)

It would be cool to see somebody take an antique EV between the 1900’s and the 30’s like a Detroit, Baker, Waverley or a Milburn Electric and hot rod one with a Tesla P100D powertrain.
upload_2020-8-11_22-12-25.jpeg

upload_2020-8-11_22-13-36.jpeg

upload_2020-8-11_22-21-12.jpeg

Last edited:
It's not Tesla powered, but Jay Leno did something similar that with a Baker, I believe. It's got a Nissan Leaf battery/motor, which is probably more than enough for the tires, brakes and suspension on that thing.

It's not Tesla powered, but Jay Leno did something similar that with a Baker, I believe. It's got a Nissan Leaf battery/motor, which is probably more than enough for the tires, brakes and suspension on that thing.
Which one is that? If I recall the 1909 Baker shown in his vids has the stock motor but uses modern deep cycle marine type batteries (like what many people use for these vehicles now). Of course, he probably has other vehicles I’m unaware of.

Which one is that? If I recall the 1909 Baker shown in his vids has the stock motor but uses modern deep cycle marine type batteries (like what many people use for these vehicles now). Of course, he probably has other vehicles I’m unaware of.

I'll have to go back, but a few months ago he did a garage/project update video that featured an early 1900s electric car his team was fixing up, and he mentionned it was using a Leaf drivetrain.

Edit: Okay, it was a year ago actually, it's a 1914 Detroit Electric using MKI Leaf batteries. Timestamp is around 5:30

Last edited:
Anyone remember the Zonk cars from the original Let's Make A Deal?
iu

Yeah, the Edsel Villager. Those full-sized station wagons.

I'd love to actually take one of those, swap out the lackluster stock engine and drop in a .427 HEMI, upgrade the damned suspension to a sturdy double-wishbone system, put better brakes and tires on it, and remove the steel bed back liner to drop the curb weight by about a hundred pounds. Of course, it would be all for naught without swapping out the transmission for a six-speed manual, twin plate clutch and a half-weight flywheel. Oh, and updating the drivetrain to 45/55 four wheel drive. I wouldn't change the exterior except to get the chrome hard-polished.

Well, dropping in the HEMI would require modifications to the hood, but that's fine. It would be an improvement all the same.

Addendum:
The point of this is to take a car with an unfair bad rep, and give it the love and potential it deserves. Monty Hall did this car no favors. It is ultimately, still just a full-sized station wagon, but it could of been one of the best on offer at the time if THEY HADN'T FLOUNDERED WITH IT. FFS

Last edited:
This has been my dream car for a long time, a UC Torana 3dr hatch with an LFX V6 swapped in. Do whatever I can to make it drive and handle better, track capable but driveable on the street. It would probably be just over 300rwhp with the engine in a car that weighs ~1000kg.

proxy-image

This has been my dream car for a long time, a UC Torana 3dr hatch with an LFX V6 swapped in. Do whatever I can to make it drive and handle better, track capable but driveable on the street. It would probably be just over 300rwhp with the engine in a car that weighs ~1000kg.

proxy-image
Although they're not my fave-looking Torrie, I like your idea @Paulie

Instead of a Torana A9X, you end up with a Torana LFX. 👍

Although they're not my fave-looking Torrie, I like your idea @Paulie

Instead of a Torana A9X, you end up with a Torana LFX. 👍

You know it :D, and I kind of feel the LX model is more of a natural V8, the UC model would feel more right to me with a modern six. I'd probably change the tail lights to the LX rear end or custom though.:lol: BTW, the perfect rego plate is "NOWUCME". The UC model had the floor plan and 4 link rear end of the A9X as well if I'm not mistaken, so there's a performance incentive.

Last edited:
You know it :D, and I kind of feel the LX model is more of a natural V8, the UC model would feel more right to me with a modern six. I'd probably change the tail lights to the LX rear end or custom though.:lol: BTW, the perfect rego plate is "NOWUCME". The UC model had the floor plan and 4 link rear end of the A9X as well if I'm not mistaken, so there's a performance incentive.
Yeah, it's those tail lights that I've never been able to accept :odd:. I'd have to swap over to LH/LX just so I could look at it from behind.

I'd have to check up on the floorplan being identical to the A9X though. I know they had to make changes from standard LX for the A9X, mainly in the rear for the rear end/diff location, but something else is ringing a bell in my ear & it has to do with the fact that Holden never intended for the UC to have a V8.

Australian Muscle Car magazine devoted pages to the Torana & what was to follow had the Commodore not arrived. It includes a mock-up of a digital 05 Marlboro UC, complete with flares & all the A9X additions. I just have to find that issue :rolleyes:

Yeah, it's those tail lights that I've never been able to accept :odd:. I'd have to swap over to LH/LX just so I could look at it from behind.

I'd have to check up on the floorplan being identical to the A9X though. I know they had to make changes from standard LX for the A9X, mainly in the rear for the rear end/diff location, but something else is ringing a bell in my ear & it has to do with the fact that Holden never intended for the UC to have a V8.

Australian Muscle Car magazine devoted pages to the Torana & what was to follow had the Commodore not arrived. It includes a mock-up of a digital 05 Marlboro UC, complete with flares & all the A9X additions. I just have to find that issue :rolleyes:

It does seem to mention it on this website, in the paragraph just below the black/white photo.
http://www.a9xclub.org.au/a9x-story/
Also mentioned on this below website.
https://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/car_info_holden_torana_lx_a9x
While a member of the LX Torana family, the car actually used a UC Torana floorpan, enabling it to use the General's new Salisbury rear axle and disc brakes set-up. With only 380 A9X's being manufactured, there are many imitators out there, and if buying one checking the rear axle and brake assembly can be an easy way of identifying a wanna-be (as fitment of this set-up to an LX floorpan is practically impossible).

Another UC Torana innovation adopted for the A9X was the direct mounting of the steering gear onto the chassis, and by ditching the copius amounts of rubber, steering feedback finally reached near XU-1 quality. While the LH L34 SL/R5000 was a great car, it did not offer the finesse or drivability of the XU-1. But things had changed for the better with the A9X, and without question it was a better car.

tumblr_nu76b8qND21r2dcdfo2_r1_1280.jpg

Nissan 300ZX (Z31) with a Silhouette IMSA style bodykit, JGTC NISMO Racing motor and full racing internals. Colors would be black with gold BBS rims and a gold/yellow interior.

AMG Hammer with full EVO II racing internals and this exact spec
mercedes_300ce_amg_hammer_by_vsdesign69_ddtaryq-fullview.jpg
Would be street-legal though would also be track ready.

SL500 with Koenig-Specials bodykit with a 7.3 AMG V12 Upgraded for about 650HP
d5af381b96afc4a603c165d9c3e7656c.jpg

Would be black with these rims
ebay398056.jpg

Other than the rims, bodykit and Engine it would be a fairly stock SL. This would be the most used out of the three cars.

It does seem to mention it on this website, in the paragraph just below the black/white photo.
http://www.a9xclub.org.au/a9x-story/
Also mentioned on this below website.
https://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/car_info_holden_torana_lx_a9x
There you go Paulie, I'm glad your memory is better than mine. I just knew there was a difference between LX & UC Torries but the finer details were lost deep in the grey matter :dopey:
tumblr_nu76b8qND21r2dcdfo2_r1_1280.jpg

Nissan 300ZX (Z31) with a Silhouette IMSA style bodykit, JGTC NISMO Racing motor and full racing internals. Colors would be black with gold BBS rims and a gold/yellow interior.

AMG Hammer with full EVO II racing internals and this exact spec
mercedes_300ce_amg_hammer_by_vsdesign69_ddtaryq-fullview.jpg
Would be street-legal though would also be track ready.

SL500 with Koenig-Specials bodykit with a 7.3 AMG V12 Upgraded for about 650HP
d5af381b96afc4a603c165d9c3e7656c.jpg

Would be black with these rims
ebay398056.jpg

Other than the rims, bodykit and Engine it would be a fairly stock SL. This would be the most used out of the three cars.
That's certainly the wildest 300ZX concept I've ever seen :eek:

Of all the cars in your post, the AMG Hammer sounds the meanest to me :mischievous:

Quickly knocked this up earlier.
It's called the 'Lightning Bug' (not to be confused with the drag car). It's an EV that focuses more on speed than range.
It's a strict 2-seater, has been chopped and smoothed, and the rear deck has been reshaped.
Please excuse the side graphic, well the whole thing is unresolved really, so may do a neat version.

Another quick/rushed rough sketch, but this time it's a RWD Austin Allegro.
Traced over a standard 2-door hence the proportions looking better than the Beetle above, (drew that from memory).
Y'know...I like the Allegro. It wasn't a great car. It's a guilty pleasure.

I was kicking around ideas for an Equipe tribute restomod utilizing a Rover K-series with the big valve head, but keeping it FWD. Never really fleshed that out, but I knew I'd want it to have a hatch and I'd bring back the quartic tiller in a sportier guise.

I'm digging those arches. I don't normally care for those but they really suit the shapes of the body shell nicely. I'm not sure what would happen to the stripes, but that interesting feature in the front leaves plenty of room for the requisite decal.

Another quick/rushed rough sketch, but this time it's a RWD Austin Allegro.
Traced over a standard 2-door hence the proportions looking better than the Beetle above, (drew that from memory).
Nicely done. Saw this rally-prepped Allegro recently and it opened my mind to them somewhat. I think the fundamentals aren't actually too bad with them - A-series engine, which obviously have reams of parts available, good suspension, compact dimension. The styling's a bit frumpy but that can be fixed (if not with arches like those above, then the colour and some decent wheels definitely help) and going through the thing with a fine-tooth comb should sort any lingering 70s/80s BL-era maladies.

1.jpg

One I've been thinking about recently is a really finely-tuned ST165 (or ST185) Celica GT-Four. The basic package is already pretty good, but there's now room to manoeuvre with some of the aspects of the original car's technology - I'm thinking damping, fuelling and ignition, turbo technology, and interior quality. I'd actually go for a smaller wheel and taller tyre combo than the one in the pic below but a similar style, and keep some decent wheel travel so it can pretty much float over any road surface with a set of fancy dampers (maybe even computer-controlled). I'd not necessarily want much more power than stock, but using modern tech to basically eliminate lag and have strong power all the way to the limiter should give it huge ability without having excessive power. Inside I'd have a couple of decent bucket seats retrimmed maybe in the original fabric, and ensure all the slack is taken out of your main points of contact with the car - steering, pedals, shifter etc. Maybe a hydraulic handbrake thrown in for good measure...

Dpjl930XUAI6Lrw.jpg

Nicely done.
One I've been thinking about recently is a really finely-tuned ST165 (or ST185) Celica GT-Four. The basic package is already pretty good, but there's now room to manoeuvre with some of the aspects of the original car's technology - I'm thinking damping, fuelling and ignition, turbo technology, and interior quality. I'd actually go for a smaller wheel and taller tyre combo than the one in the pic below but a similar style, and keep some decent wheel travel so it can pretty much float over any road surface with a set of fancy dampers (maybe even computer-controlled). I'd not necessarily want much more power than stock, but using modern tech to basically eliminate lag and have strong power all the way to the limiter should give it huge ability without having excessive power. Inside I'd have a couple of decent bucket seats retrimmed maybe in the original fabric, and ensure all the slack is taken out of your main points of contact with the car - steering, pedals, shifter etc. Maybe a hydraulic handbrake thrown in for good measure...

Thanks man, and @TexRex

That version of the Celica is definitely my favourite shape. What you describe, would make a perfect restomod.
If either of you are interested in modified Austin Allegro's, then i can highly recommend checking out 'Jonny Smiths' YT channel called 'The late brake show'. There's only two episodes on the subject so far, but he's doing a sleeper 2 door Allegro. Looks awesome so far.

This one is abit different and idk if the car is old enough to count as a restomod but what I would do is:

Start with a CLK-GTR GT1 Edition *Which would be borderline impossible since 2 only ever sold*
1089532-1536.jpg

Install this exact aero kit to make it look like the initial prototype *Which is actually a racecar version with road aero, the interior and the fact that it still has the original GT spoiler inserts are a redflag*
mercedes-benz-clk-gtr.jpg

mercedes-clk-gtr-8.jpg

Engine would be the same but the exhaust would obviously be much more silent for street use.
If the engine still does not pass US Emissions, then I would remove the engine and install the 7.3L AMG V12 from the SL73 or the regular SL600 V12 with extensive modifications.
Would install the 7-speed AMG SPEEDSHIFT from the AMG GTR since the original transmission whine from both the race and roadcar would be too loud not to mention the paddle shift setup from the original roadcar was reportedly awful to use.
Would also install the AMG GTR clutch as well to go with the transmission.
Appearance wise it would be exactly like the 2nd and third picture though I may paint it black *temporarily* with a full red interior like CLK GTR chassis #17
Interior would be fully road-legal with only the digital dash from the racecar being retained, AC, Stereo .etc would be installed
2474dfa9d32409a3717aaf529b2be13a.jpeg

Last edited:
A nice mild custom Willys Aero would suit me just fine right now. Replace the old flathead with one of AMC's second-gen V8s (came in 290, 304, 343, 360, 390 and 401 cid sizes, but all were built off the same block, so any one would fit), a modern manual transmission, upgraded suspension, brakes and steering, and pretty much leave it at that. Leave the outside looking as stock as possible so as to draw as little attention to myself as possible (aside from the fact that I would be driving a 70 year old car.)

I've been fantasizing lately about taking a front-engined car and making it mid-engined. Some specific candidates:

Mitsubishi GTO/3000GT. This one even looks like it wants to be mid engined. And because the original powertrain is transverse and the platform is engineered to send power to the rear wheels, it seems actually plausible. I'm sure the body structure would need some reinforcing, and a firewall would need to be constructed...but it would make the side-lined 3000GT actually awesome.

oBl7hH1.jpg

The other one I thought of was the Mercedes 190e. I even scaled some drawings to determine if the Mercedes V12 would fit behind the front seats with a gearbox attached. Spoiler alert: It wouldn't...not even close. I think the only way to do it would be with a transverse setup and I think the V12 might actually fit sideways, with the gearbox behind, ala Muira. It wouldn't look as cool as the longitudinal setup, but might have better weight distribution.

Lastly I was trying to think of an American muscle car that would be cool with an MR setup.

First gen Barracuda certainly has the rear glass for it, but I've never been to keen on the body shape
1966-PLYMOUTH-BARRACUDA-rear.jpg

Then I thought maybe a 2nd-gen Camaro
154296_Rear_3-4_Web.JPG

But Camaros have too much baggage.

Maybe a Chevy Monza could be cool. MR layout looks plausible, and the engine could be on display under the rear glass
70cW50n.jpg

Keep it simple. LS1 with ~350hp, 6 speed transaxle.

Back