Fastcarguys 1981 Chevy C10, 2016 Tacoma SR (and dads 66 GTO)… and a bike?

• Thread starter Fastcarguy
  • 41 comments
I have to say I've not seen ramps turned that direction. Did you actually drive up backwards, or are they there as jackstands after lifting the car? For driving backwards up the ramps, amazing that you have clearance under the rocker panels. For jacking the car and putting them under the wheels, how high did the car have to get to get the wheels that high?!
I was thinking the exact same things. :lol:

I have to say I've not seen ramps turned that direction. Did you actually drive up backwards, or are they there as jackstands after lifting the car? For driving backwards up the ramps, amazing that you have clearance under the rocker panels. For jacking the car and putting them under the wheels, how high did the car have to get to get the wheels that high?!
We just jacked the car up and put those ramps under it haha. Just being used as jackstands.

Headlights, hood and fender are officially attached, waiting on the parts I need for the headlight bezel but she’s back on the road, drive it to work on Friday. One piece at a time.
0E723FDE-DB07-4983-A2D6-F8EBB0ECCBD0.jpeg
5DC1E928-1169-4A67-B68D-652580FDBC6E.jpeg
10777C22-3B8A-4814-B7EE-F149C676EDEE.jpeg

Last edited:
Well the c10 needs a pinion bearing done. The guy I usually go to for stuff I can’t do myself is backed up for 3 weeks so once again the truck is parked, although this time it’s in one piece. I’m also sort of counting down the days I have left to drive the jeep cause I’m not convinced it will pass inspection at the end of the month. I may have a truck lined up though, my brothers got a 2004 Sierra 2500 crew cab that needs a wiring harness, may just have to bang out the harness and get that thing back on the road.

Last edited:
The c10 needs a pinion bearing, but unfortunately i still have to drive it as it’s all I have most days. The jeep has failed its mass inspection for a Ball joint and I’m not sure I’m going to put the time into it with a quarter million miles and a whole bunch of rot.
image.jpg

Last edited:
So. The Jeep is going to go away. Which leaves me with no daily other than my c10, which is not ideal. ive been trying to get behind the wheel of a reliable car now for a bit, with the only real requirements being 4wd or awd and be able to tow my 13 foot boat. I have found a 2016 Toyota Tacoma at a Carmax a few hours away, and Ive paid for it to be shipped to my house for a test drive. Its a 2016 SR extended cab long bed, 2.7l 4 banger, 5 speed manual, 50k miles. Its a pretty basic spec, unheated cloth, no premium sound, small screen, but it does have most of the options I actually care about, namely bluetooth audio and hands free calling and a backup camera. If all goes well, Ill be the owner of it.

Well. Carmax gave me 1000 for the jeep and I’ve bought a 2016 Tacoma from them. Now that I have something dependable I’m going to start tearing into the C10. The Tacoma is an SR, but it’s got a backup camera, Bluetooth/hands free calling, audio steering wheel controls, painted bumpers, and alloy wheels. 2.7 4 banger with a 5 speed manual with hill start assist. Only 50k miles and I got the warranty from carmax for 5 years or 100k miles by odemoter. So I basically got a 5 year 50k warranty. I’ll have to get the towing wiring harness as it doesn’t have the trailer plug for my 13 foot boat but no biggie, it’s already got the trailer hitch. I couldn’t be happier.
E8317124-C9D2-4C0F-9954-76B238E6747F.jpeg
E12742FB-C2FB-484D-A38B-4F5BA38B4FA4.jpeg
AB71028A-7982-4107-BC59-4B4175E85695.jpeg
51E6739B-101C-48FB-90F1-30A2D7A8044D.jpeg

730DA9AE-237E-439D-B7BC-96A4E40BBED5.jpeg

Last edited:
If the goal was reliability, you got the best vehicle by far. Fluid film the bottom and it should last you until the end of gasoline as a major fuel source. The 2TR-FE, as you've no doubt discovered, isn't one for speed, but it's a tractor motor that's dead simple in a world full of exotic engines under even the most ho-hum of hatchbacks.

I was originally hunting after a convenience package truck myself before Toyota introduced the SX package. They're very well loaded and fully featured for a base model truck. The audio system is also super, super simple to upgrade inexpensively. Pre-Covid it could be done for around $250. Probably could happen for around $350 now.

Bed is finally off the c10. In other news, I have driven just over 1000 miles since I bought the Tacoma and I’m still loving it so…. Good purchase I guess

191CB998-635F-45F4-9DF7-302D57A4FF93.jpeg

Well after I got the rear axle off the c10 I was forced to take a break working on it because of time and money. However, I picked up the freshly rebuilt rear axle yesterday. Pretty much everything inside except the gears themselves is brand new. Just need to get the new suspension pieces ordered and in, do some paint work on the frame and axle, and she should be back on the road within the next month or two. (Time and money permitting)
2F315F8E-32F1-409F-BF4D-161ECFE00BEA.jpeg

Last edited:
So uh…I had no intentions of buying a motorcycle while I was in school. So I bought a project motorcycle. She’s a 1983 Honda shadow 750 that isn’t getting fuel. Not really sure why I did this still but I’m sure I’ll have some fun with it.
817F9B44-EC17-4E0B-BEFC-5D3A27741B0D.jpeg

7BC01B04-E618-455D-BC94-7CCCFB23B066.jpeg

Woo, been over a year since I’ve been here. The Tacoma now has 73k miles and has been an excellent daily driver. I’m now living up in Maine and working as a marine electrician. The c10 is still off the road. After I pulled the bed off I decided to “do it right or do it twice” so now I’m acquiring parts to pull the cab and engine and have the frame done, gonna rebuild the engine, (and maybe hop it up a bit) and do some work on the cab. I still own the bike, got it running after putting a new fuel pump in it. Have ridden a few times but it’s been sitting mostly dormant in my parents shed in Massachusetts as I only have street parking at my apartment in Maine.

Back