Faster than Stig?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Lambomeanie
  • 33 comments
  • 2,247 views
Messages
136
Messages
gilbertoconcerto
I wanted to set a challenge for the great folk on GTP. First go over to the Top Gear website power lap board and pick any car that's available in GT5, then note Stigs time. Go to the Top Gear track in GT5. Beat it. It's that simple!

TG Power Lap board:

http://www.fastestlaps.com/tracks/top_gear_track.html

Post here the car used, Stigs lap time and your lap time and I'll compile a GTP Power Lap board.

***All cars used MUST be standard, tyres are Sports Hard and TCR off. Lap times from a grid start only ( My Lounge, 1 lap race)***

Please post the PP of your car beside the name. I will build a wesite which I'll link here to host the times.


What do you think? Worth doing? :)
 
Last edited:
umm, well the brits are neat, but their website sucks and the 'track' has some secrets (amazingly absent from the vids ive seen), but maybe post a link to where the actual lap times are.

good idea though.
 
lav01
umm, well the brits are neat, but their website sucks and the 'track' has some secrets (amazingly absent from the vids ive seen), but maybe post a link to where the actual lap times are.

good idea though.

Thanks buddy. Did the BBC link suck? I'll update it with a better one now. :) Cheers!
 
perfect. thanks i will try some. im sick of the couple tests i still need to gold. ill have a go at some. i cant turn down a fellow irishman or a good challenge.
 
lav01
perfect. thanks i will try some. im sick of the couple tests i still need to gold. ill have a go at some. i cant turn down a fellow irishman or a good challenge.

Happy days! And your in first too. I might offer a prize car or paint now and again to sweeten the deal, and make it worth having a go! I'll work something out over the weekend when I'm out of the pub. ;-)
 
seeing you can easily beat the times by 4 second with stock tires, I don't see how tire upgrades are even required.

The top gear track in the game has too much grip, so beating the stig in GT5 is a walk in the park.
 
I'm up for this, it sounds like a great idea! But yea, there's going to have to be more regulations as far as tires and assists go so the times are more even and fair
 
JJ72
seeing you can easily beat the times by 4 second with stock tires, I don't see how tire upgrades are even required.

The top gear track in the game has too much grip, so beating the stig in GT5 is a walk in the park.

Yes, but it's more about the competing with each other to get on the board. But you do make a point about tyres, I'm changing it to road tyres only. Thanks. :)
 
sickskillz
I'm up for this, it sounds like a great idea! But yea, there's going to have to be more regulations as far as tires and assists go so the times are more even and fair

Thanks matey! Duly noted and fixed. Any idea needs a little fine tuning to make it better eh? :)
 
Times should be made from standing start, right?
 
116. Subaru Impreza WRX STi 1:30.10 113 '05 280 / 1500 The Stig

ok, so i bought a new one even though i had one, but the new one had 276hp i figured it was close enough. put on the sports soft and went to practice and turned off driving line and traction control.

first lap was a little sloppy, but a 1'21.650.
 
I took the ferrari italia 458 (bone stock, tcs 1, no other assists, no brake balance modifications, no oil change) and managed like a 1:18 something after about 10 laps (his time being a 1:19+). This was actually relatively hard. I guess either my driving skills aren't as good as you guys, or this particular car was not as easy to get around the track with 4+ seconds off the clock.

Yeah, I also want to reaffirm the standing start as without it, the times are rubbish.
 
ok, so i bought a new one even though i had one, but the new one had 276hp i figured it was close enough. put on the sports soft and went to practice and turned off driving line and traction control.

first lap was a little sloppy, but a 1'21.650.

Tire upgrades kill the whole idea of this.
 
Watch for those magic oil changes that give you more HP, too. I doubt Stig gets those.
 
then i switched back to the tires the car came with. sports-hard.

lap 1 posted above, then lap 2..... 1'23.145. again a little sloppy.
 
the standing start thing is very hard to govern, because starting half a metre from the line could gain you 2 to 3 tenths down the straight. If the competition is intended to be among players than a rolling start would be fairer.
 
mine was a rolling start. i dont know where to do a standing start.
 
ok, so lap 3 on the car. still sports hard.

i dont know where to do a standing start so i rolled up almost to the starting line and stopped. then dropped the clutch at the limiter. 1'24.399
 
My Lounge, 1 lap race with grid start. I actually hoped there would have been some Special Event to beat the Stig.
 
lav01
then i switched back to the tires the car came with. sports-hard.

lap 1 posted above, then lap 2..... 1'23.145. again a little sloppy.

I'll be making a site tomorrow with the times etc. Looks like you'll be on there! I have some rule tweaking still to do as people spot flaws though. The first post has been updated to suit. Many thanks bro
:)
 
nope, i did a lounge race, 1 lap with grid start. 1'24.805
 
JJ72
the standing start thing is very hard to govern, because starting half a metre from the line could gain you 2 to 3 tenths down the straight. If the competition is intended to be among players than a rolling start would be fairer.

Fair point. I think it'll be fairer to have that so no one gets an advantage. Thank you! :)
 
The rolling start kills the whole idea of beating the stig. You can either have a perfect competition between players, or see who can beat stigs time the best! Yes, there will be cheaters. If you wanted to make it a real competition, you could obviously require replay evidence and a board of people who decide if a start was as close to the starting line as feasible.
 
one thing i've noticed is after chicago, as you go onto the straight towards hammerhead, if you watch alot of the vids, the stig does not go immediately to the right side of the track like we must do or we get a shortcut penalty. However, even with this, i've noticed it's not terribly difficult to best the stig's lap times.

I know the track is pretty close to the real thing, but has anyone checked the exact lengths of straights and things compared to the real one? Maybe this could be another reason we can compete with Stig.

Lastly, what about cars that come stock with racing hard tires. Do we need to switch to Sports Hard to do this challenge?
 
Bludragon
one thing i've noticed is after chicago, as you go onto the straight towards hammerhead, if you watch alot of the vids, the stig does not go immediately to the right side of the track like we must do or we get a shortcut penalty. However, even with this, i've noticed it's not terribly difficult to best the stig's lap times.

I know the track is pretty close to the real thing, but has anyone checked the exact lengths of straights and things compared to the real one? Maybe this could be another reason we can compete with Stig.

Lastly, what about cars that come stock with racing hard tires. Do we need to switch to Sports Hard to do this challenge?
Sports Hard seems fair for everyone, and more of a challenge I think. I do agree beating the Stig times isn't too much effort, but in the end to get our names on our own board we have to compete with each other. That's the main aim. Community involvement!

In essence it's just a bit of fun with a little rivalry thrown in to mix it up. :)
 
grenadeshark
The rolling start kills the whole idea of beating the stig. You can either have a perfect competition between players, or see who can beat stigs time the best! Yes, there will be cheaters. If you wanted to make it a real competition, you could obviously require replay evidence and a board of people who decide if a start was as close to the starting line as feasible.

The My Lounge option is perfect. I just tried it. Grid start and 1 lap. Seems fair yes? :)
 
used my bone stock sls.amg. my lounge and 1 lap. used sports hard which is what it comes with.

34. Mercedes SLS AMG 1:21.60 124 '10 571 / 1620

1'19.871. waay sloppy. dam thing spins the tires everywhere. over cooked the tires right hander a ton. and a huge power slide coming out of the back section.
 
whoever says use sports hards is a ****ing idiot.

sports softs is what they always use on top gear for their lap times.
 
whoever says use sports hards is a ****ing idiot.

sports softs is what they always use on top gear for their lap times.

no they dont, they use the stock tires and never use any type of circit/slick tyres. they only upgrades the resonably priced car, as you can see with a weight reduction and tyres but thats it.... this challenge should be done with the STOCK parts on the cars,, tyres and all
 
Back