Favorite Motorsports Helmets?

Aryton Senna (no mention yet?)

The topic was about favorite helmets, and not favorite drivers wearing the helmets. While Senna is a racing icon, and consequently his helmet is easily recognizable to anybody that knows their motorsports, the helmets of yesteryear were pretty basic. Helmets of more recent years are lightyears ahead of those a couple decades back. I still intend to get a Senna tattoo some day, and it will feature his iconic helmet, but not for being a great design. It's really just a yellow helmet with a green stripe, a black stripe, and a few sponsor logos.

The topic was about favorite helmets, and not favorite drivers wearing the helmets. While Senna is a racing icon, and consequently his helmet is easily recognizable to anybody that knows their motorsports, the helmets of yesteryear were pretty basic. Helmets of more recent years are lightyears ahead of those a couple decades back. I still intend to get a Senna tattoo some day, and it will feature his iconic helmet, but not for being a great design. It's really just a yellow helmet with a green stripe, a black stripe, and a few sponsor logos.

I actually prefer the helmets of yesteryear, though each to their own. The helmets of today are way to spiky and modern, while the helmets of the previous generations had nice basic designs that didn't change every race (Sebastian Vettel).

And on that note, I present, Jerome D'Ambrosio

s1_1.jpg

Love this helmet. :drool:

That helmet looks pretty sweet! If I hit the Powerball i know where I'm spending tons and tons of money!

Hey Jac I saw a guy driving shifter karts a my track with the same helmet as your avatar on. Isn't it Vitantoni Liuzzi's?

That is actually highly debatable.

Just as a good logo is often very simple, so is a good helmet. Sure modern helmets are amazing feats of craftsmanship, but in terms of being recognizable from a distance, and creating lasting memory, many of the old designs are more successful. Current helmets are almost like a fashion item, but it use to be a personal signicture, and you don't change your signicture every 2 weeks do you?

I think a really good helmet design should combine a good recognizable basic layout, with modern touches visible when viewed up close, and its main lines and color should not be changed on a weekly basis, Vettel is the worst offender in this regard.

Maybe he could put KIMI and MATIAS instead of JAMES and HUNT. There, problem solved, but it would lose some of it's coolness.

The movie's not even out yet. :lol: Is this a clue that he'll be joining McLaren next year? [/tinfoil hat]

Jean-Eric Vergne is also wearing a pretty sweet tribute helmet this weekend.
toro-verg-monaco-2012-3-886x589.jpg

Tribute to Jean Alesi who's helmet was a tribute to Elio De Angelis.
tumblr_lwzf50U9DK1qh3236o1_500.jpg

I can't believe I hadn't seen this thread yet!

I actually paint helmets as a side business.

Check them out here...... www.rhdesigns-lids.com

Let me know what you think, the higher numbered pages in the gallery are the latest jobs I've done!

Enjoy!!

Rob

I actually paint helmets as a side business.

Nice work 👍

I have a few questions about helmet painters/sellers. First, do you make molds of helmets and then paint them, or do you buy each helmet individually? I heard the market for replica helmets was flooded with "fake" replicas (e.i. those who paint moldings of the real helmets and then sell them as if they're the real deal). And secondly, would you know of any sites that sell the real helmets, rather than the "fake" ones?

Nice work 👍

I have a few questions about helmet painters/sellers. First, do you make molds of helmets and then paint them, or do you buy each helmet individually? I heard the market for replica helmets was flooded with "fake" replicas (e.i. those who paint moldings of the real helmets and then sell them as if they're the real deal). And secondly, would you know of any sites that sell the real helmets, rather than the "fake" ones?

This is how it works....

A driver comes to me with their helmet. We agree on a design. I take their helmet, disassemble it and paint it, then reassemble it.

You can buy "fake" helmets to paint, but they are NOT to be used as they just LOOK like helmets but do not have any safety equipment in them. Not to mention they look like arse.

As for buying a "Real" helmet. Any Motorsports supply place generally sell REAL helmets.

Rob

DarthRaiden666
Kimi fell out with McLaren when he joined Ferrari.

Massive Hunt fan too :)

Actually he nearly rejoined McLaren at the end of 2009. But the two parties couldn't agree on salary. So Kimi packed his bags and headed off to WRC, and McLaren snatched up Jenson Button from Brawn.

Back