FC "Ladder" Championship Event

• Thread starter Biggles
  • 388 comments
Simcoeace
OK, here it is: the official GTP Ferrari Challenge "Ladder" Championship Event. :cheers:

You can challenge any racer up to 3 positions higher than you on the ladder.

Each challenge is a minimum 7 race series of 5 minutes each (random start order), but can be more if both racers agree in advance.

Challenger picks 4 tracks, challenged racer picks 3 tracks (same ratio if more races are agreed on) - any track can be selected wet or dry.

If the challenger wins a majority of the races he/she (?!) advances up the ladder to the position formerly occupied by the challenged racer, the losing challenged racer moves down the ladder one place.

The default is: All assists, racing line etc. off. However, in a one-on-one match, racers are permitted to race with whatever assists they agree on in advance.

The challenger proposes three cars (to be used in all the races) when issuing the challenge. The challenged racer picks which of these three cars is to be used.

You may run as many race series against an opponent as you like, but the challenged racer is only obliged to accept a challenge by the same racer once in the same week.

Challenges may be run between three of four racers in adjoining positions on the Ladder. In this case, the car choice must be agreed in advance between all the participants. Each racer will then pick one track (or an equal number of tracks if a larger race series is chosen) with the lowest ranking racer picking the "extra" track. In a multi-racer challenge, the final result of the race series will determine the position on the Ladder of all the participants in that series.

You may not unreasonably, repeatedly, refuse challenges, but if you do you will, in any case, eventually find yourself moving down the ladder as other racers "leapfrog" over you.

Other rules may be added over time as necessary.

Last edited:
Participating Racers:

GTP_ENERGIYA
GTP_SimcoeAce
RSRacer
Mingoturbo
sarrinen69
danjama
mhm66
GTNeider
Hereward
jjaisli
GTP_Hun
GTP_Graffen
J-PaP
holy_sword
JamboGT
GTP_GoesTo11

Yet to post:

pino-r
GTP_Lofasz
LITTLE-JOBBIE
waynejones37

Withdrawn:
Ardius 1:56.13

Would the remaining racers please post their TT times.

Last edited:
Count me in, though with my normal account which is:
Ardius_

As I haven't unlocked anything with my GTP account.

I can be in for this. But me being in a different timezone may cause problems in organising races. Also what sets the original order of racers?

I can be in for this. But me being in a different timezone may cause problems in organising races. Also what sets the original order of racers?

The only "organising" being done, will be between you & one other racer - that's the beauty of the ladder - surely it will be possible to arrange a mutually accessible time with one other person?

We will have a simple time trial qualifier - not the weeks-long qualifier for GT5P. I don't want people spending hours trying to qualify - the whole point is for it to be flexible, with constant movement up & down the ladder based on racing results.

The time trial will be: F430 at Mugello (dry). Theoretically, TT results should show up on the leaderboards. I really don't want it to drag out indefinitely - I think we should get started in the next couple of days. Anybody joining within the next few weeks could be slotted into the ladder based on their TT result, if there is general acceptance of that principle.

i would like to have braking zone on ?

I'm inclined to stick with no assists of any sort (Either Manual or Automatic is OK, however) just to keep things simple. I know from personal experience that they're not necessary - it's just a question of become familiar with the tracks (given your level of experience E, I can't imagine you'll find it difficult to turn of the braking zones).

Last edited:
Yeah, count me in too. Although, after last night, I think I know my place. I'm hoping it was a fluke. :)

jjaisli was you racing with energiya last night? I spent my races at the back being knocked into every gravel trap on the course! Must have been that Danish flag I was driving under.........Oh yeah count me in as well.

The time trial will be: F430 at Mugello (dry). Theoretically, TT results should show up on the leaderboards. I really don't want it to drag out indefinitely - I think we should get started in the next couple of days. Anybody joining within the next few weeks could be slotted into the ladder based on their TT result, if there is general acceptance of that principle.

Biggles, I suggest you to set a deadline for the TT (Could be next Sunday) and from that moment on anyone entering the ladder would be placed at the bottom and would have to "challenge" their way up from that spot. It'll be easier for you. And fun for all those entering after this week.

The more I think about it, the more I think your idea is brilliant. This "ladder" almost runs itself without many "organizational" issues (unlike your former "pool" idea) and, because it is based on 1 vs 1 races, it won't be too much to have it running at the same time as the 2009 Event I'm trying to organize. They'll be two very different "events" and everyone will be able to participate in both without feeling they're a "duplication" (does this word exist? Hope you get my meaning).

jjaisli was you racing with energiya last night? I spent my races at the back being knocked into every gravel trap on the course! Must have been that Danish flag I was driving under.........Oh yeah count me in as well.

Yeah that was me. I came a bit late and I think you left mid-way through the first race I joined. We continued about 3-4 more events with the 430 and then about 3-4 more in a new Lobby with the 348. There was one guy in the first Lobby, Tom_Crashman, something or other that spent his time trying to knock everybody else off the track. The first two times I thought maybe he just didn't see me but then I realized he was doing it on purpose. It started with little nudges and taking wide lines and got progressively worse. By the time we got to Homestead he was driving backwards on the oval and trying to ram the cars coming head on. I guess Energiya laughed it off but I as totally p****d as the guy effectively ruined 3 of my races and somehow after that I could never find a rythem again for the rest of the night. Everybody seemed to be able to drive away from me and I kept making errors.

Since I first played the game on-line back in late Nov, I've seen nothing but clean racing. This is now the 3rd moron I've run into in the last two weeks. Personally, I blame the whole thing on Biggles as he likely got his wish and managed to recruit a boatload of GT5P trouble makers with his 10 reasons why... thread. :)

Anyway, whatever. It's done. And I think it's clear at the moment, on most tracks with most cars on most days, I think Energiya is a lot faster than me and danjama is a 'bit' faster than me.

Yeah thats why I left mid race, that was my 3rd or 4th race "avoiding him" He'd take me out, I'd try and pass him cleanly after catching up and off I'd go again, by the time I was 30 feet off the track with that idiot still shoving me I decided to call it a night. First real idiot I've come accross on FC hopefully it'll be the last, I blame Biggles AND farther christmas personaly LOL

I like this idea too. 👍 It's not my favorite track but it's a good compromise with lots of different corners.

And thank GOD you didn't choose Paul Ricard.

Should we post our times up on this thread or will you start a new thread just for TT results? I'll include the wheel details I'm using as well, would be a good indication between the wheel and pad users if theres any advantages to the use of either

At Spa he was out front and setting a pretty competitive time. So in this case I think the guy was trying to be 'funny' or was just simply a trouble maker. But he had been playing for some time. If you see somebody named "Cullen" in the Lobby, leave. I'd say he's a recent Christmas graduate. Last week he managed to take out me and somebody else (who were having a great scrap BTW) up the Kemmel straight as we were lapping him. And then did donuts in the middle of the road to celebrate. :ouch:

We could limit the TT until Sunday - my only concern was not wanting to discourage (any very fast) latecomers by forcing them to make their way up a long ladder (if it does turn out to be long) - but it certainly would be easier to stick to the Sunday deadline.

I think Mugello is a good track to use, as it appears early in the game & is much more varied (& interesting IMO) than Monza.

You can use your existing TT from the leaderboards (NOT lap record), if you're happy with it, or you can run some new laps. Either way, don't obsess about it - the idea is to just establish a basic starting point , not fix your future prospects forever (like the GT5P qualifier ;)).

I have not encountered a single "deliberate" punter online in FC that I can remember, but, in any case, it should be possible to exclude other drivers online if you want to.

Finally, please contact other GTP FC drivers you know well and encourage them to enter the event...

Yep ran into him again this afternoon with Niehder, r253Tom-crashman or something, he was still wiping people out left right and center. Beware of the guy. Have to mention quickly we had some fantastic races in the old 250...that car is a dream to drive with the wheel, not fast and not agile but makes for some great racing

Saarinen69 is on my friends list. I don't really know him very well but I have raced him several times and he's a very clean racer and enormously fast. I was behind him once (in the wet) and trying to follow his lines and he was just pulling away from me like I was standing still. Granted, I'm not that quick but he would probably be good competition for some of you faster guys. I'll send him a message and see if he's interested.

I also contacted Higgiracer a few weeks back when this event first came up. He's pretty quick too and a good guy. He was interested but said he probably wouldn't be able to attend organized events due to a lack of free time. I'll check again and see if his situation has changed.

@ Hereward: I like both the 250TR & 250GTO. A nice change of pace and good cars for close racing. As for crashman, the bugger really chose the right name. I figured maybe he was just having a bad night and flipped out. But it sounds like he makes a habit out of his behavior. We'll all keep an eye out.

Ok, I'm done trying to improve my lap time, did a 1'56.13 in the end which I'm pleased with (Auto transmission, all other aids off). The leaderboards seem to update periodically, so the evidence isn't up there just yet, but it will be. :)

Also, while were on the topic of online racing in general, I seem to have a problem with many of the race hosts having bad connections, is anyone else getting these problems? It acts like the "host has left" but when I refresh the race lobbies the host is still racing fine, so clearly either theres a problem on my end or theres. I only started having problems today though, which is why it seems odd. Sometimes I can't even join certain hosts, it simply just doesn't let me connect for no reason.

Last edited:
Yep, Sarrinen69's also on my friends list and he is not one of the fastest, he is THE fastest racer I met so far. Takes me between 1 and 3 seconds per lap in any circuit, dry or wet.

As for punters, I only met one so far, Knox..... (IT flag). Vicious guy.

...I seem to have a problem with many of the race hosts having bad connections, is anyone else getting these problems? It acts like the "host has left" but when I refresh the race lobbies the host is still racing fine...

Yes, it's a known problem. It generally seems to happen in races with >8 people. And it's the reason why it was decided to limit the lobbies for our events. I've been pleading with the folks at Eutechnyx and System 3 to look into this and had pretty much given up hope. But Eutechnyx did confirm just the other day that it seems to be a bandwidth issue and they've been able to duplicate the problem internally and are working on a fix. But I'm not holding my breath. We only received one update ever for FC on the NTSC version and it took 3 months from when the game was released.

Well, its been happening to me with only 2 player races. Though I was fine yesterday with 8 player races, but whatever.

...he is not one of the fastest, he is THE fastest racer I met so far. Takes me between 1 and 3 seconds per lap in any circuit, dry or wet...

Yeah, tell me about it. :eek: I accept that there are some guys that are just faster and I'm happy when I can tail them and keep them in sight. But every race I've had with him he just totally checks out and disappears. Quite a blow to the Ego. :)

Well, its been happening to me with only 2 player races. Though I was fine yesterday with 8 player races, but whatever.

:boggled: Oh. Not sure what to tell you. It's happened to me a few times but only in larger lobies.

I hope everyone's happy with the no-assists policy. As I've never used any assists, I'm not even sure how much of a difference they make, but I just feel it will be simpler for everyone to keep them off, so that there are no questions. Allowing automatic makes it easier for the controller guys to compete, I think.

Please check all the assist setting before you begin the TT, because the game has a habit of defaulting to having some of the assists on in an apparently random way - it can be a bit annoying if you discover that after setting your fast time!

I just went to look at the leaderboards & realised that I had never bothered to try & set a fast TT with the F430, so I completed about 5 or 6 laps & set a time I'm happy with.

I haven't experienced collapsing lobbies, except on a couple of occasions, so I don't think it's a common occurrence...

Yeah, I find it easier with automatic with the controller, so thats appreciated.

And no aids on is fine too, the difference is negligable, just requires a few adjustments with braking points and steering and some more care in wet weather. But otherwise I prefer having no aids on because it actually makes it somewhat challenging to play.

Count me in too please. I just got the game, not too long ago, but I'm already "feeling" pretty fast. I'm interested to see how I stack up against you more experienced FC guys. When I get back from LA, I'll look for you guys through PSN. This looks like it will be quite fun.

Also, will FC allow me to play against the fellow GTP guys, that I'm unable to race in F1CE? If so, all the better.👍

Latest Posts

Back