FE10's Expo LRV - TINY VAN

• Thread starter Anathema
  • 71 comments
If you couldn't tell by the thread title change, the 240 is gone, replaced with this little thing.

20170624_130756.jpg

This TINY VAN is a 1994 Mitsubishi Expo LRV. To make a long story relatively short...

I was told by my inspection station that the 240 would not pass next year, because despite my best efforts to curb the rust, it had gotten worse - this being after I had spent a fair amount of $ on fixing the rust. Took it to another station for a second opinion, same thing.
Unfortunately, with what it would have cost me in terms of both money and time to make it road legal for the next year, I could no longer justify keeping the 240.

Sank a bit into depression because of this, because knowing what had gone into keeping the thing running was eventually for naught. It hurt quite a bit.

Kinda halfheartedly I began looking at other cars, and after about 4 months' worth of looking at polished turds and dealing with shady sellers, the Expo showed up on Autotrader literally last week.

I'd never heard of the thing until now, didn't know they even existed. Curiosity got the better of me, and over the course of last week I looked it over, drove it twice (once in pouring rain) and generally warmed myself up to the idea of a tiny armageddon van.

Talked it over with my parents, brought them to see it, and had my dad give it a thourough look-see to make sure it wasn't a bodgejob masquerading as a prom queen.

It's not a flawless car by any means. Left rear rocker is slowly eating away, so I do plan to get a welder once my bank has recovered and learn to do this crap myself and stop relying so much on others for things like this.

Paid for it in cash after a bit of haggling with the dealer, and after doing the tag transfer (registration transfer from the 240 to the Expo) I brought it home.

Had the 240 up on craigslist for $500 cash as a parts car, was gone within 3 hours to a guy with a hatchback version who needed an interior + some minor bits. At least it will be put to good use.

So, that's essentially a recap of the last four months of my car life. I'll do a full writeup of the Expo once I get more pictures, but here's the basic gist of it:

-101k miles
-No rust aside from the mentioned spot
-Everything actually works!
-Interior is nearly flawless
-Automatic (can't win every time...)
-Wheel covers are mismatched (3 Mitsubishi ones, one Chevrolet one
-It's tiny
-It's a van

In terms of mods and mod plans...

- Probably will look into getting a roof rack for my kayak, as now I don't have to borrow the family van or friends' cars when I want to go kayak the Delaware. Same for skiing/snowboarding.
- Possible repaint in the future once the rust is gone.
- Not sure of this, but the alloy wheels from the 240 might fit the Expo... same 4-lug pattern, but I need to check first before doing something stupid...

If you managed to read this all through, I do appreciate you taking the time to read this. Thanks to a few people who have given me advice repeatedly @eiriksmil, @JrDarknes and @SVX , among others I probably forgot.

It's a shame, but not all ownership stories go how they're planned. We got these as a JDM Chariot, so let me know if you need any bits!

Good luck with this one, man, here's to hoping it goes a bit better. At least it's a similar colour scheme :lol:

Looks good. All you need is some matte black steel wheels (lose the hub-caps! I did on my 240!), a massive set of bullbars, some roof-mounted spotlights and a mounted machine-gun and you're set! Apocalypse-ready.

My nan used to have a Mitsubishi Space Wagon (same kinda shape and front end but a minivan), until the GDI engine gummed itself to death.

SVX
It's a shame, but not all ownership stories go how they're planned. We got these as a JDM Chariot, so let me know if you need any bits!

Good luck with this one, man, here's to hoping it goes a bit better. At least it's a similar colour scheme :lol:

It is unfortunate, but part of life is moving on and not clinging to the past. I didn't realize the color similarity until it was pointed out to me, weird stuff happens sometimes. And I might take you up on the bits part...

Looks good. All you need is some matte black steel wheels (lose the hub-caps! I did on my 240!), a massive set of bullbars, some roof-mounted spotlights and a mounted machine-gun and you're set! Apocalypse-ready.

My nan used to have a Mitsubishi Space Wagon (same kinda shape and front end but a minivan), until the GDI engine gummed itself to death.

I kinda like the hubcaps (aside from the Chevy one) and if the 240 alloys fit, I won't have to worry about wheel covers. The armageddon van bit is kinda an inside joke, back when I actually used to write fanfics on here it was a thing. I don't remember if I paid tribute to it, so I guess I did now. This particular Space Van is the shorter one - apparently it was called the Space Runner in Europe, Expo LRV here. I guess there's actually a difference, and I probably should start referring to it as such.

Oh yeah... more pics!

20170625_200755.jpg

What a glorious smile.

20170625_200808.jpg

I am going to need another headlamp cover... forgot to mention this above in the minor faults. Whoops.

20170625_200828.jpg

The sliding door handle is one of the strangest designs I've had to deal with. Also strange is that the right side had the automatic seatbelt while the driver's side (left) doesn't...

20170625_200841.jpg

Spot the insignificant problem?

20170625_200933.jpg

Closeup of said problem. My OCD senses are tingling.

20170625_201016.jpg

No tachometer though.

20170625_201036.jpg

Lots of buttons to press and knobs to turn... plus the little "Super Mini" thing that was left in here. And the most important thing of all, I now own a vehicle with cupholders! (Never had them before.)

Looks really really tidy, which is a great start. Following on from the bullbars comment, there are the factory RVR Space Gears which have them ;) We have those too, but good luck on getting it there :lol:

The armageddon van bit is kinda an inside joke, back when I actually used to write fanfics on here it was a thing. I don't remember if I paid tribute to it, so I guess I did now.

Maybe I can get you a Step Wagon badge. ;)

Well, whatever kind of Mitsubishi wagon it is, it's not a 1990's Delica/L400, which is a bonus. Size of a tank but *not* built like one.

SVX

I think you mean RVR. The Chariot, although it may look like it is quite different. I do see the RVR Space Gear comment though.

I think you mean RVR. The Chariot, although it may look like it is quite different. I do see the RVR Space Gear comment though.

Not that different, just the headlights and bonnet, the rest is identical (surprisingly even the corner lights) Edit: and doors/wheelbase as pointed out. Not that I'd be sending a door anyway. :P

1200px-1991-1994_Mitsubishi_Chariot.jpg

Kind of similar to how the JDM Nissan President is different to the stateside Q45.

Last edited:
The Chariot is a Space Wagon in our country. It was called an Expo in some markets though. Japanese naming schemes confuse me so much...

But yeah the RVR is basically an SWB version of the Chariot.

The RVR Hyper Sports Gear R, though... so much want.

Because who doesn't want an Evo with sliding doors? :D

Correction* - Sliding door.
My mate had an RVR, now owns an Outlander. It had a 4G63. NA..... :lol: And a sliding door. It was freaking massive compared to my little cars. Changing the front shocks out was a lot of effort as they springs were super stiff, had to crank the spring compressors all the way down to get the shocks to bolt up.

If you couldn't tell by the thread title change, the 240 is gone, replaced with this little thing.

View attachment 656265

This TINY VAN is a 1994 Mitsubishi Expo LRV. To make a long story relatively short..

I like the green of yours better than the dark green of my mates although his was a Space Gear with all the stickers and bars all over. It was like this but not convertible.
mitsubishi_rvr_3491051_3_orig.jpg

Back