Feasibility of Apricot Hill Raceway

• Thread starter Fender0122
  • 70 comments
Jcryan3
So this is my first post in this forum, but I've been a lurker for a while and thought you guys might like what I did for my senior design project in college. Being a construction major and a total car nut, I wanted to incorporate my love for cars into the knowledge I've learned. I decided early on I wanted to determine the feasibility of taking an original track from GT that didn't exist anywhere and see if it's realistic to actually build. I was bummed to hear Apricot Hill wasn't going to be included in GT5 because I was going to have a race simulator set up and it was going to be a big plug for the new GT, but oh well I guess GT4 was going to have to work. Here's a little summary of what I did:

We first needed to determine the dimensions of the track, which was very difficult since there are no details on the track. The only information I had to go off of was the track map and the elevation change of 83.7 feet. I ended up tracing the track map onto paper and spent a lot of time driving around the track to determine the elevations and banking.

I used a program called Bob's Track Builder to be able to easily manipulate the track until I was happy with it. For those not familiar with BTB, its a program used for making tracks for PC-based racing games like Richard Burns Rally. This program allowed us to export the track dimensions as a .CSV (comma separated value) file, which basically defined the track as X,Y,Z coordinated that could be imported like a survey file into MicroStation InRoads, which we were using for the site design. Here are some screenshots of BTB and what it looked like in MicroStation:

Bob's Track Builder (sorry for the poor quality pic)
BTBScreen.png

CSV in MicroStation
CSVandtrackdisplay.jpg

It ended up being 3780 individual points that I had to connect all together, but it made it easy because all the banking and safety barriers were included in there as well. We could then get those lines imported into SketchUp to give us this image:

TrackProfile.jpg

The whole goal of determining the elevations of the track first was to determine the lay of the land that we would need. We found we needed rolling hills with a variance of 100-200 feet over a quarter mile. We took a few locations from the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains and used MS InRoads to drape the track over the topography to determine the cut/fill requirements of the soil. We wanted to have matching numbers so that no soil had to be brought in or taken out, while also trying to have the lowest numbers so that not much had to be excavated. We settled on a location in McConnelsville, Ohio that had a landscape that was nearly the same as in the game. Here's a rough overlay of the track over the topo. If you know the track real well, you can see how the low and high points match near perfectly.

McConnelsvilletrackplaced.jpg

We then used Inroads to fill in the gaps between the track and existing topography and moved it around until we had matching cut/fill numbers. Here's a pic of the track with the darker lines being the proposed cut and fill:

McConnelsvilleTrackcontours.jpg

We also wanted to confirm that the safety barriers were at an adequate distance away so we did force equations to figure the stopping distance and how hard the car would hit without going over the threshold of 50G's that a person can withstand. Surprisingly, all the walls were the right distance away, but the tire walls needed to be deeper than in the game.

We had to display this project at an expo that The University of Toledo put on for all the engineering senior design projects so we put everything together by making a 3-D model out of foam board and brought in my TV and GT simulator I made to entertain the guests.

2010-12-10103235.jpg

2010-12-10103301.jpg

We even had dads get into the hot seat. It was great.
2010-12-10134640.jpg

I hope you all enjoy this as much as I did and If you want any more info I have tons. I've also got that GT simulator in a SketchUp file if anyone wants to build it. It's a very simple 2x4 construction.

Cheers,
Connor

That's really cool. You did a lot of work on that 👍 Does anyone else think that AH would make an awesome slot car track (especially with all the elevation changes and tyre walls

Incredible! I love it when people get great ideas out of stuff I never thought of.

This is some great work! Hopefully you can use your skills to someday work on something you're passionate about (unlike the rest of us).

Great work building those models 👍

I've always thought that Apricot Hill would be the most feasible of the original GT tracks to create in reality.

@SHIRAKAWA Akira, i've never thought of Apricot Hill being split into two sections, yet the idea you've shown does seem interesting.

Amazing!
That is quite the layout you did.
Do you have future plans of being a track designer?

Welcome to GTPlanet too.

Amazing!
That is quite the layout you did.
Do you have future plans of being a track designer?

Welcome to GTPlanet too.

That was my line! JK JK! :D Good job man on the AH Feasibility Project!

Whoah. I'm blown away by some of the stuff I see on this site. Nice work OP.

Reminds me how much I miss Apricot Hill. Great track, really hoping it'll be available as DLC in the future.

*Rubs eyes*

Just... Just wow. Incredible work.

If this becomes a reality (And I don't see why not), it'll open up doors to tracks such as Grand Valley, Midfield, Autumn Ring and many others.

*Rubs eyes*

Just... Just wow. Incredible work.

If this becomes a reality (And I don't see why not), it'll open up doors to tracks such as Grand Valley, Midfield, Autumn Ring and many others.

I love the Human Mind's Imagination!!

@SHIRAKAWA Akira, i've never thought of Apricot Hill being split into two sections, yet the idea you've shown does seem interesting.

(at the cost of being off-topic here) Personally I even think it could be extended and made into a multi-layout egg shaped superspeedway (with banked corners etc while retaining elevation changes), but that would probably go a bit overboard.

lTcns.png

Apricot Hill Speedway (D-shaped west oval)
Apricot Hill Superspeedway (egg shaped outer oval)
Apricot Hill Raceway (the track we know since GT2)
Apricot Hill Raceway Inside (the central section reminding a bit Motegi road course)
Apricot Hill Raceway West
Apricot Hill Raceway East

Nice work there :D I used to love doing this sort of stuff in Geography with designing parks ect. Did you get your grade for it yet?

Now while this was a very comprehensive report, probably the only hole I have to pick would have been the location.

Most race tracks are in some sort of bowel, which means that seating and grandstands places on the outside of the track can see the whole thing, I can imagine building infrastructure around the track, such as parking, reception areas, and other buildings in that location would be a nightmare!

Wow, awesome work right there! 👍

Probably my most favourite track of GT, too bad it is gone. That makes seeing it being appreciated in such a project the more enjoyable for me.

(at the cost of being off-topic here) Personally I even think it could be extended and made into a multi-layout egg shaped superspeedway (with banked corners etc while retaining elevation changes), but that would probably go a bit overboard.

lTcns.png

Apricot Hill Speedway (D-shaped west oval)
Apricot Hill Superspeedway (egg shaped outer oval)
Apricot Hill Raceway (the track we know since GT2)
Apricot Hill Raceway Inside (the central section reminding a bit Motegi road course)
Apricot Hill Raceway West
Apricot Hill Raceway East
That's an awesome idea. A bit overboard? Maybe. But this, in my humble opinion, is what I would have loved to see in GT5: old tracks in new shine and with variants. PD can do awesome fantasy tracks, but they rarely use that talent anymore it seems.

Last edited:
awesome mate, great project, I love the model you made at the end... I hope thats still in your posession somewhere!

I wish they bring back apricot hill, I miss it all so much but especially doing this:

IMG00004.jpg

You did all that yet PD in 6 years couldnt just about sums up GT5 :(

Man I wish the track editor hadnt been included in the game but the option to build custom tracks outside of the PS3 software had been, rFactor and GTR have unbelievable track selections through custom built tracks due to that idea

Kaz should see this thread. Someone should send him the link somehow. I bet he'd make a remark about it on his Japanese twitter. Maybe it would inspire him to bring this classic track back to GT.

A+, Gold Star & 10/10! Go to the top of the class!

👍

Back